Virginia Tech Employee Reviews in United States

Absolute nightmare in financial aid office
Banner Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 17, 2016
While I think working in most departments at Tech would be a great experience, working in the Financial Aid office was not one of them. They have gone through 19 employees in the last 3 years since hiring their director. .. seeing how it's a department of 25, I would think that would say something. We're talking about long term employees too. HR is apparently powerless to address the low morale and terrible upper management in that department. It was a real disappointment.

I made friends in that department, and others are looking to get out
Pros
Eventually can transfer to another department, good state benefits
Cons
The director of the department is an ego maniac and treats her employees terribly
Pretty laid back work place
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 29, 2016
a typical day at work was usually pretty easy. Once you got in to the routine of your job you just basically done the same thing every day, working steamers, fryers, grill, etc.
All my co workers were mostly older people that have worked there for a while now.
I believe the hardest part of my job was Chicken Parmesan day which Owens hall is very recognizable for.
Undergraduate Research Lab Assistant
Undergraduate Research Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 21, 2016
A typical day consisted of preparing samples for the next week and testing the finished ceramic product using a BET. I also spent most days mixing various polysiloxanes to create containers for future samples. I learned many things about cross-linking mechanisms, material characterization, equipment usage, and lab protocol.

Everyone I worked with was either a professor or a graduate student. The hardest part of the job was allocating my time properly between summer classes and being a lab assistant for many hours a day. The most enjoyable part was getting many hours of lab experience and working with the people around me.
Pros
Lab experience, deeper understanding of cross-linking reactions
Cons
Very tiring and consumed many hours of time whether it was in or out of lab
Preventative Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 5, 2016
The hardest part of the job was working with unmotivated co-workers

The best part of the job was working on a variety of projects and getting them done in a timely manor and as a result having the customers very pleased
Pros
Benefits and a few co-workers
Cons
Being on-call 24/7 on a rotating shift
Full-Scholarship Athlete
Scholarship Student-Athlete (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 18, 2016
Ncaa Division 1 Football.
Learned how to work under pressure (i.e stadiums upwards of 66, 000 people).
Learned how to make decisions quickly and deal with adverse consequences.
Learned physical fitness.
Great School
Student (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 6, 2016
Many opportunities available
I am a student here, I am also a residential advisor.
I work under Housing and Residence Life.
There are many ways to integrate my skills in this position.
Great work environment
Catering Assistant at the Grove (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 16, 2016
Getting to work for the President of Virginia Tech, and getting to meet local celebrities and politicians was definelty a great experience I'll never forget
Good Experience
Clothing Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 15, 2016
Helped me learn more about retail sales and customer service. I got more experience catering to customers needs and interacting with the community.
good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 24, 2016
just be a research assistant.
It's very good environment.
A typical day at work
my co-workers are very friendly
i enjoyed my work here very much
Great place to work - caring and supportive staff
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 21, 2016
Great first job, not yet having graduated from college I had a chance to work with large data sets and learn new systems of analysis.
Pros
short commute
Cons
low pay
Absolutely brilliant experience; would work there again
Laboratory Assistant / Independent Researcher (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VANovember 16, 2015
Fun and enticing work place. Personnel friendly and helpful. A lot of protocols and policies, not much politics. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning and experimenting freely from original results and being surprised by every turn of the experiments. Felt like home.
Good learning environment
Emerging Technologies Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAFebruary 15, 2016
Being a new working experience was a good environment for learning. I worked a long side great individuals who were always willing to guide me
Student Worker in Dean's Office (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VADecember 4, 2015
I love working as a student worker at Virginia Tech. The Dean's Office is a friendly and comforting environment with a great group of staff members. People not only do their work, but care for one another and make you feel welcome.
Pros
Nice Lunch Break, Great Work Events
Cons
N/A
Great experience.
VT Grand Touring Team Member (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAFebruary 19, 2016
I have had no previous engineering work experience. Virginia Tech was the school that I attended. It was a good school and I enjoyed my time there.
Great people
Water Sampler (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIMarch 20, 2016
I worked for Virginia Tech while they were testing water in Flint, Michigan. Super dedicated to helping their communities and others.
Best place to be
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VANovember 4, 2015
I can't say enough good things about my time at Virginia Tech. After my freshman year I decided to stay at the school to work year round for my remaining years. The Department of Geological Sciences helped me find multiple part time jobs within the Department and supported me as I completed my degree.
Amazing place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VANovember 18, 2015
Very calm peaceful place to work at, loved my time there. Always was given a list of stuff to do with slight supervision. Great place to work for those who don't like to be disturbed or who works better by themselves.
Pros
Colleagues, location, pay
Cons
No complaints
Great schedule and benefits.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VASeptember 22, 2015
I felt like being a housekeeper at Virginia Tech was not treated as a respectable job when it should be. There was limited opportunity to move up. I didn't make enough money to live on when it is a full time job. I have no complaints about management- that was decent. The schedule and benefits were the perks of this job.
Pros
Schedule and Benefits
Cons
Hard work and lack of respect
Ta
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAFebruary 23, 2016
A college TA position, its a good school for engineering but the professors can be unhelpful and there are times you feel neglected.
Quite Town, Collaborative work environment
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJanuary 1, 2016
Not much to say. I was a postdoctoral research associate during this time. The people were nice enough, friendly, and supportive.

4.4