Virginia Tech Employee Reviews

Great place to live and study
Senior Design Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 23, 2017
It was my pleasure to spend four years of my college at VT. I met a lot of fellow classmates as well as teachers/professors. Research environment is quite good, you can settle down and really do something there.
Virginia Tech
Trip Leader and Student Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 21, 2017
Very enjoyable job working for Venture Out. Best part of the job was interacting with the customers and getting to teach people new skills and introduce them to outdoor adventure sports.
Productive and easy-going workplace in the Fishbowl
Tier II Consultant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 21, 2017
The fishbowl is amazing place to work for any Virginia Tech student. All of my co-workers are great people to work with. In addition, our head consultant is incredibility friendly.
Pros
Great lunch options nearby
Best and Friendly Workplace
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 17, 2017
Fundamental and Applied Research are given equal importance with immense scope for inter-disciplinary research. Professors are very helpful. Remarkable publications come out of the school.
Full of diversity and young minds
Postal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 14, 2017
I had the 11-7pm shift. It was a very fast paced shift.
I learned how to use their packaging processing software. I was even able to show my co-workers and supervisors new features that I discovered in the program. Management was attentive and fair. Workplace culture is very loyal to the university. Go Hoakies!
Hardest part of the job will be carrying the heavy packages.
Most enjoyable helping and socializing with the students.
Pros
Free public transportation, access to all on-campus events
Cons
no benefits for wage employees
Productive place where I can learn more about my major
Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 10, 2017
I would love to work at a place that gives me new learning experiences. I am interested in gaining experience that makes me competitive and unique in the job field.
Tough fast-paced
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 8, 2017
Constant lines during dining hours, very little breaks. The turn over rate is extremely high due to it being on campus. The students you get to work with will become your good friends but the work is extremely stressful during your 5-hour shift.
Decent place to find an easy job
Student Dining Staff (Current Employee) –  West End MarketJune 7, 2017
If you need the money VT Dining is worth it. The 9 dollars an hour salary with little taxation is very nice, but the environment can be a struggle sometimes. You can find yourself doing the most monotonous activities for hours on end, and there is not much time for breaks because of the constant stream of student customers.
Pros
One free meal, decent starting pay with little taxation
Cons
Hot, boring, monotonous work
Research work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 21, 2017
Funded an entire semester of my education, an intensive work culture with room to grow as a researcher and professional. 6 months of experience. ----------------------------
work hard, play hard
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 20, 2017
Very good place to pursuit a Ph.D. degree! Great Professors and very professional academic environment. Lots of fun places to go near Blacksburg. The only disadvantage is that this place is too far away from any big cities.
Graduate Teaching Assistant / Instructor
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 19, 2017
My work at Virginia Tech was performed in combination with my graduate studies in chemistry there. The work usually consists of delivering a pre-lab lecture to a class of undergaduate students, highlighting important aspects of that day's lab exercise. During the lab, we supervise student use of reagents and apparatus, and help out with questions or problems. Outside of class we collect and grade lab reports from the students. In the role of instructor, I answered e-mails from students with questions regarding the lab reports or pre-lab exercise sets. At the end of the semester, I calculated and posted each studenent's course grade for the semester.
Pros
Job is Part of Graduate Student Support Compensation
Cons
Job is Semester-to-Semester (Unpredictable)
Intern (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 18, 2017
Virginia Tech is a great place to work and grow. You get out what you put into most job opportunities, but there's plenty of room to grow and advance as an employee.
Good Experience
Clerk/Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 2, 2017
I worked there as a college student. It was an award winning organization when I was there. Since then, their merchandising has fallen behind other retail stores, but the campus bookstore aspect is still up to par.
Great place to work as a student
Dining Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 30, 2017
I worked here as a student employee in one of the dining halls. It was a great environment, with a very flexible schedule, good pay, and great management.
Pros
Free meal pass
Cons
I smell like DX
busy place, lots of people
Housing and Dining Services Student Programs (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 24, 2017
special meals are crazy, lots of the time they did not have enough employees for these special meals or other events. Did not like paying for parking at VT. VT was ok place to work but it was very busy at times.
Pros
1 hour for lunch, free lunch
Cons
no benefits, paying for parking
I did not feel fairly treated by the end.
Fisheries Technician (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 13, 2017
The job allowed me to receive experiences in many activities in my field. The work environment was great as everyone is usually friendly. I enjoyed being able to see different parts of the country. There just is not much room for advancement, and employment is based on funding. Eventually funding declined and I was out of a job.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
No overtime or benefits
Great university
Research Assistant and Instructor (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 12, 2017
I started as a research assistant with pay accordingly. I was elected to the Graduate Policy and Procedures Committee which was a faculty committee with one graduate student. A one of the meetings I raised the issue that we were failing the PhD students by not making them teach. I was promptly "volunteered". My students did very well on the common finals. This lead to me becoming an instructor.
Pros
Excellent environment.
Fun and productive
Student (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 11, 2017
Allowed me to grow as a student and professional. I could work at my own pace, and then present the results of my research in a weekly meeting that led to great discussions.
An honor to be selected for such a coveterd position
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 9, 2017
I enjoyed proctoring exams. That was also the hardest part. In addition to long hours at night it was hard to find the right balance when answering questions without giving away answers.
Pros
good pay for little work
Cons
long late hours during tests
Great place to work professionally, not very advanced regarding supporting minorities
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 9, 2017
Great professional culture about the institution. Though the institution is very political and not supportive day to day of minority employees and students. You'll get great vibes on your interview because this place is great at recruiting; but, the experience you'll feel is not genuine nor consistent.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Tech. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4