Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech Employer Reviews

Fun Part Time Job
Mail Order Clerk (Current Employee), Blacksburg, VADecember 16, 2014
Great part time job that taught me a lot and got me through college
n/a
Substitute Gymnastics Coach (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VADecember 3, 2014
I only attended for a semester. Did not get much experience to leave much of a review.
Learning all the information without doing the course work
ASL interpreter/ C-Print Captionist (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VANovember 19, 2014
Pros: the courses, the relative freedom, a trusting empathetic boss and wonderful coworkers. we literally worked as a team.
Cons: the constant mental processing, along with the physical strain of walking across a large campus, carrying a 15 lb backpack, were at times, very challenging.
As a full-time sign American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter/C-Print captionist for deaf students, my primary duty was to enter their classes, stand/sit next to the teacher, while still in sight of the student(s). Once the logistics were established, I would interpret the lecture and/or content of the course, in order for the students to receive the – more... same information as the hearing students. In addition, our department also served students who identified themselves as hard of hearing, and who were not fluent in ASL; in those cases, I would sit next to the student and caption the lecture in real time, on a laptop programmed with C-Print Captioning.

My coworkers and I were assigned 6-8 classes per semester; I have literally "attended" more than 100 courses, varying from Beginning Theater to Advanced Thermodynamics; In other words, I truly had the opportunity to learn new information daily. Also, as I was responsible for conveying very complex information, I researched both the topic and the ASL technical signs.

Our immediate superior was very conscientious. A former interpreter herself, she was quite aware of the type of injuries which could arise from overuse, and she scheduled us accordingly. Whenever possible, she would assign two interpreters per class, alternating at specific times to allow the other interpreter to rest. She also made an effort to incorporate several breaks into the schedule. She was very fair in assigning her duties and empathetic should an issue arise.In all honesty, I do not believe that I've ever worked with a superior supervisor.

Ironically, the aspects of my job that I enjoyed were often the same aspects which were the most challenging. For example, I truly enjoyed learning, every day, in virtually any topic one can imagine; however, many of these classes were in advanced engineering. It took great effort and hours of research to effectively communicating the subjects to the students. – less
Program Coordinator
Student Athletic Trainer (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VANovember 19, 2014
Pros: relaxed enivorment
Cons: no cons
• Oversaw injury prevention and treatment at the Gatorade Summer Sports Camp Program, as well as player organization and game monitoring.
• Assisted the Program Manager and Assistant Program Manager in implementing various Gatorade promotion programs.
Wonderful place to work
Research Faculty Member (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VANovember 19, 2014
Pros: great work environment
Cons: low pay
I thoroughly enjoyed the work as a research faculty. I very much enjoyed the academic environment and my co-workers. The only drawback was that the pay for a PhD level scientist was not really commensurate for the same job in the private sector.
Great place to go to graduate school.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VANovember 18, 2014
Great place to go to graduate school. The university has a great reputation for producing productive members in the scientific community.
Storage systems administration
Storage systems engineer (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VANovember 12, 2014
Pros: free food if you don't eat
Cons: oncall work...must respond to outages
Multi vendor environment

Software development required...especially cxfs/dmf
The PhD grind
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Blacksburg, VAOctober 22, 2014
I learnt a great deal while engaging myself in various cultural activities. There were times of joy and fulfillment and there were time of great despair. A typical day of work is extensive brain taxing to understand the basic mechanism of how nature works. I was blessed with excellent adviser and a highly collaborative group. On top the skills required – more... to accomplish hard project I got the opportunity to deal with stress and deadlines. The hardest part of the job was to keep motivated, especially after hitting a blind spot for weeks and the most enjoyable part was the knowledge gain in a diverse range of areas. – less
Great Place to Work
Manager (Current Employee), Blacksburg, VASeptember 29, 2014
Great place to work with wonderful benefits and even better employees!
Excellent first job
Cashier/Server/Cook (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VASeptember 20, 2014
Typical day at work:
Food prep and baking/cooking
Serving
Working the cash register
Checking food temperatures
Practicing FIFO (first in first out)
Cleaning the bistro at the end of the work day

What I've learned:
How to prepare different foods
Work a cash register
The importance of keeping foods in their safe temperature zones
Taking responsibility – more... for having an after school job
Working with different individuals
How to operate food equipment

Working as a high school student part-time I didn't interact much with the managers. I did work with 90% college students and it was an adjustment from high school students, but they were encouraging. Anything that I was unsure of any of the college students were more than willing to take me under their wing.

I did go through the challenges of having a first job as everyone does, but it did help me develop an understanding of what it was to have a job. The best part was having that first job experience and being able to build upon it. – less
Knowledge for future career
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Blacksburg VirginiaSeptember 18, 2014
As I progressed through my Virginia Tech academic career, the people that I worked with helped me understand more about my career path and future, I would ever be grateful for the opportunity that allowed me to work with these people.
Great company with great benefits
IT Specialist Assistant (Former Employee), Mechanical Engineering Dept.August 27, 2014
Dominion is a great company with a positive and supportive workforce that offers plenty of room for improvement and growth.
Lots of freedom
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VAAugust 27, 2014
Being and undergraduate research assistant, I had a lot of freedom with limited work hours. It was a very enjoyable experience but did not pay well. I worked for two separate people doing scientific research, one of which was far more involved. I also worked alongside a postdoctoral researcher who guided me in day-to-day operations.
Productive work environment conducive to laboratory experiments
Student (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VAAugust 20, 2014
These skills were acquired through a variety of classroom lectures and labs that were necessary for graduation. The most important of these were: Analytical Chemistry Laboratory, Microbiology Laboratory, Organic Chemistry Laboratory, and Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Laboratory. Each of these required performing group experiments while also obtaining – more... individual results and drawing conclusions. This helped me to learn to work in a group more efficiently, but the individual activities ensured that I knew how to perform all of the experiments and techniques. – less
Student Office Employee
Departmental Office Assistant (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VAAugust 18, 2014
Assisted the department's staff and professors. Assisted in office tasks such as retrieving and delivering mail and organizing meeting rooms.
Good place to do research.
Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VAAugust 7, 2014
Virginia Tech is located in a small town and a very good place to do research.
Fast paced atmosphere working with diverse backgrounds
Financial Aid Peer Counselor (Former Employee), Blacksburg, VAJuly 28, 2014
A great office with great people to work with. Scrutinized student accounts to address account problems and answer students' questions.
Lab
LAB ASSISTANT (Former Employee), VirginiaJuly 21, 2014
Pros: hours, enviorment
Captured and preserved insects relevant to ongoing experiments to monitor pesticide efficacies. Maintained insect colonies by rearing, preparing diets, and cage cleaning. Carefully measured and planted experimental vegetable plots. Mixed different concentrations of experimental and commonly marketed chemicals in lab settings (Insecticides, herbicides, – more... and fungicides) in accordance to regulations and experimental guidelines. Proficiently used Microsoft Excel to enter and analyze data collected. – less
An interactive environment with students and professors alike.
Research Student (Current Employee), Blacksburg, VAJune 27, 2014
Virginia Tech University helps to grow students in a very well rounded fashion, allowing equal interactions with professors and students.
Great Company
ASSISTANT BASEBALL COACH (Current Employee), Blacksburg, VAJune 17, 2014
Great company with all the benefits you would like. Great co-workers that will help you with anything.

1 2 3 4 5