Vision Service Plan

Vision Service Plan Employer Reviews

Decent
Supervisor (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAJune 16, 2014
Pros: free frame
Cons: mistrust
critical, mistrust, mistrust, mistrust, management, Friday end of day
Wonderful Company
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAMay 29, 2014
Pros: shift bids
Cons: nothing.
I loved this company. I had to resign due to my son being very Ill.
Good company to work for, ok for advance
Customer Svc. Rep (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAMay 21, 2014
Call Center is a challenge to work in, requirements can be very confusing and sometimes not straight forward. but overall if you can get out of the call center through advancement the company is a good company to work for.
THE worst organization I have ever worked for!
Supervisor, Marketing (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAApril 29, 2014
If you're looking to work for a company which promotes micro-management, fear-based insecurity throughout all levels -- especially the senior level, coupled with ridiculously high expectations to be on-call 24/7 with no family/work/life balance -- then you have found the place for you. And may God help you.

For me, I had no idea what I was getting – more... into.

From a public perspective, VSP has been riding the public relations coattails of having been on the Forbes list of "100 Best Places to Work" for FAR too long! In fact, 2008 was their last time yet they still seem to tote this moniker. To this day, I still hear outside community members state this as if it's still true. This might have been true when under the leadership of Roger Valine however, that is certainly not the case now. THE single best professional decision of life was when I quit VSP two years ago AND without another job to go to! The director I worked for in marketing was a raging psychotic who should never have been allowed to manage people (yet continues to do so today). Until then, I had never worked for someone who thought so little of their staff who worked their tails off for little pay and with NO recognition but instead, would ridicule staff in client and/or team meetings. And, as a 'supervisor', I was given all the responsibility to manage a ridiculous workload but with NO authority. Any and all decisions needed to be run past her first.

Seriously, the senior management should be ashamed. When are they going to realize, the high turnover they continue to experience (especially in the Marketing department) equates to a poorly run organization with senior leaders who have NO perspective and care so little for their employees.

VSP has had a notoriously long history of underpaying employees yet say they make it up in their benefits package. WRONG!! In fact, their current strategy is to hire 'contractors' for a year and just keep rotating new ones in each year. Perhaps this is best though as history has shown the past five years, each and every January, they (especially the marketing department) somehow undergoes a 're-organization'. In essence, it appears they really don't know what they're doing from a foundational business perspective yet it typically provides an excuse for them to once again change their business strategies in addition to 'weeding' out those they've been wanting to get rid of for a while without having to performance manage them. All of this makes sense since their head of HR is notoriously unethical and typically just looks the other way when it comes to protecting the employees. My guess is it will take a very expensive lawsuit filed by a very high-powered player in their senior ranks for even an ounce of change to occur.

This is all very sad since I understand from past employees who worked there during Valine's tenure, it truly was a great place to work. Unfortunately, no more.

To those who are considering employment with VSP, unless you are in a desperate financial situation, please think again. It's like selling your soul to the devil. You will never be the same person again.

Good luck to those who are still there and have become silent soldiers. Just know there is a better life outside those walls in Rancho and local companies who do care about the lives of their employees! – less
Not the company it used to be!
Lead (Former Employee), Rancho CordovaApril 14, 2014
Cons: no breaks, no work/life balance, favoritism, internal competitiveness
VSP Vision Care does not have the people, processes or technology to keep up with business needs.

The marketing department is poorly organized -- separating market managers and communications does not make sense!

The atmosphere is internally competitive -- every person for themselves. Not at all the team environment that was promised to me.

Middle – more... management spends all of their time covering their own mistakes and puts the burden of responsibility on the workers.

It's not a family-friend organization and does not build a sense of ownership.

I met some truly wondering people there -- to bad I wasn't able to work with them!

The company is successful despite the way people are treated and I believe this is due to the great doctors in the VSP network. – less
Productive and a teamwork workplace
Data Entry/Client Administrative Assistance (Current Employee), Rancho Cordova, CANovember 14, 2013
Working at VSP is amazing! The people here are welcoming and always willing to help out with whatever you may need. The management here is good due to the fact that they like to work in team and believe in teamwork to strive through success! The hardest part of the job is doing multi job projects at once but it's worth it knowing that we are helpng – more... people see. What I enjoy most about this job is that I am here to make a difference in helping people see through vision service plan. I love the enviorment and I love helping people. – less
Great employee development.
Group Information Specialist (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CANovember 12, 2013
Most enjoyable was the growth in the company....learning new jobs and developing stream lined services.
Good Company, great working environment.
Customer Service Call Center (Current Employee), Sacramento, CANovember 3, 2013
Pros: supportive co-workers
Cons: lack of advancement opportunity, low salary
I am on the email correspondence team with the customer service division at Vision Service Plan. I am responsible for appropriately responding to at least 7 emails per hour. Each representative on my team completes an average of 30 emails a day. After completing the emails, I am required to assist with the large volume of incoming phone calls. I have – more... learned to manage my time well, and have mastered the ability to understand and assist a variety of challenging customers. My manager has many good qualities and listens to my needs and concerns. My co-workers are very supportive and many I consider to be friends. The hardest and most frustrating part of my job is giving a 110% each and every day, and feeling that I am not compensated for my efforts. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping customers to understand their vision plan and how best to utilize their benefits. – less
Decent place to work. Good people. Nice Supervisors. Long memory.
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CASeptember 18, 2013
Pros: benefits, flex hours, bonuses
Cons: long memory, infrequent advancement opportunities
Non-production based call center. Calls can take as little as 2 minutes to over an hour. Your job is to be a one-call resolution rep.
Lots of training to do your job and lots of latitude to do it. You are give all the tools needed to make the caller whole. for whatever the situation is.

Co-workers are good people, unfortunately, due to the nature of – more... the call center, there is little to no time to interact with them. Breaks are random and teams, while grouped together, cannot go on breaks together.

Company was for several years, considered to be one of the top 100 places to work for in America. Unfortunately, that has not happened for nearly 10 years.

Still, they provide good benefits, generous 401k matching, company events, annual bonuses.

The one drawback experienced was the company's long memory if you make a mistake. It doesn't go away. Just lingers, waiting for another mistake to be added, until it threatens your job. – less
Busy
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Columbus, OHSeptember 11, 2013
This employer was a very friendly employer, the management, the co workers, they made coming to work nice. The actual job was very detailed and busy. I learned more about vision benefits. The hardest part about the job is that there were hardly any down time.
Productive and Rewarding
Claims Processor (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAAugust 25, 2013
Great group of coworkers and ability to move up in the company readily available. Expectations from employees was high but reward level for accomplishing goals was also high.
Unsatisfactory
Customer Service (Former Employee), ColumbusAugust 6, 2013
Pros: benefits were good at the time
Cons: everything else
Worked in Customer Service for a year. Mgmt are like the teachers in a Pre-School, They reward you with stickers, ballons, childish things when you receive a compliment and/ or meet goals. It is true that you have to account for ALL of your time each day, including the bathroom. You are on the phone ALL the time, handling everything, no transferring – more... calls to any other department. You have to handle it. The pay is low, I know someone there received a $0.10 raise. They are struggling in this economy to compete with the Big Box retailers who offer lessor priced vision services. A common complaint from their members is the high out of pocket cost for the glasses add-ons from their Network providers, when they can go to the numerous lessor priced providers – less
enjoyed working for this company because of their benefits and incentives.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAJuly 21, 2013
Pros: great health benefits, positive workplace
Cons: try to meet your quota of received calls
The quality care for this company is vey high. Everyday was intense but I loved coming to work because of the positive atmosphere and great employers.. I moved out of the area and had to leave the compnay.
fun place to work very family oriented
Benefit Advisor (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 4, 2013
Pros: cake day
Cons: high volumes of calls
This was a call center and a typical day would start with many inbound calls. I learned most to be patient with customers and wanted to help them. The hardest part of the job was when calls were high and you talked all day, seemingly non stop. The most enjoyable where cake day we had at the end of every month from an expensive and classy bakery. Love – more... the people I worked with and we made if fun most of the time, even if we were very busy – less
Customer service
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAJune 26, 2013
Was a good company until they took everything positive away. we used to have a very good compensation package. Raises are horrible and we are not keeping up with the rising costs of the economy. Vsp does not care about their employees like they once did

DBest – July 5, 2013

In today's economy no one is getting decent raises honey, except the politician's

Great culture and good training
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAJune 19, 2013
Pros: culture
Cons: demands on account reps
Great culture and great training as well. There was plenty of room for advancement and growth.
Excellent company to work for! Community focused. VSP treats employees with the great attitude and respect they expect customers are treated.
CSR (Current Employee), Columbus (Easton)May 23, 2013
Pros: excellent work environment-employees are treated with respect.
Cons: nothing comes to mind.
I feel very fortunate to work for such a great company. A lot of companies say the have a mission, vision and goals-but VSP actually follows through.
Productive, Great environment, and Freedom to get work done.
Software Developer (Intern) (Current Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAApril 29, 2013
Pros: balanced work life, freedom to get work done, adaptable to change, good environment, and great people to work with
Great work place for an intern to learn new tools, technologies, and opportunities to work on challenging complex projects. I would like to stay here as a full-time employee if given the opportunity.
Fortune 500 company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAMarch 19, 2013
Pros: company cared about it's employee's.
Cons: no call center in phoenix.
I would start my morning at 530 am taking incoming calls from doctors and members giving authorizations and doctor referrals, I had a wonderful supervisor if he did not know the answer he would get the answer so we could do our job well. The hardest part of the job was not being able to accomodate a member and my most enjoyable part was enriching someone's – more... life with glasses or contacts. – less
VSP
Customer Care Rep (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAMarch 12, 2013
Absolutely the BEST company to work for! The CEO is very involved and hands on! This is a company that truly understands the "Value of it's employees"!!!!!

DBest – July 5, 2013

then why are you a "former" employee ?

About Vision Service Plan

VSP Global® is four lines of business who focus on everything about your eyes: helping your doctor with the best technology – Read more