Vision Service Plan

Vision Service Plan Employer Reviews

Too much outsourcing. Employee turnover is high
Any job at the company (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAOctober 22, 2014
Cons: too much employee turnover
VSP advertises the same jobs every few months. This company doesn't retain their employees long term ever!

VSP isn't a ethical company to work for because the company advertises the same jobs over and over. HR personal for VSP calls job seekers for phone interviews then sneaks a 3rd party staffing agency recruiter right at the last second in the interview – more... process without disclosing to the job seeker they do that because VSP doesn't hire employees permanently.

So if your a hard worker, smart, dependable and experienced don't waste your time applying to this company, because VSP does routine lay offs continually all the time. No one has a job at VSP for over 6 months at this company ever.

It isn't an employee friendly company. You won't get a permanent job here. Company only pays poverty wages. – less
Great company to work for, caring management.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 5, 2014
Pros: benefits are good, management will provide you the help to build your skills to the level you need to be at.
Cons: breaks may seem short. hours are based on seniority and numbers.
Taking inbound calls from Dr. office to assist them with billing questions and claim submission assistance.

Provide Vision Insurance benefit coverages and provide member assistance in reviewing claims for services at doctor office.

Assisted client representative in updating and terminating employees from Client group account.

The fun part of work – more... is the calls are never the same and the members and office agents calling in are interesting to speak with. My co-workers are friendly and readily to assist each others. The hardest part is sometime not to take calls personally. It is not always about you but the caller may have a bad situation and they are taking out on the agent that answer their calls. – less
Amazing work environment
Claims Processor (Current Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAOctober 2, 2014
Vision service plan is an amazing place to work with good benefits and a fun management team. As a claims processor, I work from home and still engage with my great diverse coworkers. The company offers free cake every month for the employees and finds any way to encourage a happy and healthy work environment.
Not a place to work if a minority
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: excelent job for stability and pay
Cons: glass ceiling for minorities
While they offer great benefits, excellent pay and raises and job stability, for a minority to move upward is almost impossible.
My last work experience was assisting doctors, brokers, employers, customers, included sales, billing and more, this was a one call resolution.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: we are in control of our success.
Cons: our co-workers and friends had different break times.
A typical day at work is arriving 15 minutes early to review new policies and updates from my employer.
Each day was different due to the types of calls we received, it was doctors, employers, brokers and customers answering questions, resolving problems, billings and more.
There was a co-worker who was my best friend knowing that we connected because – more... we had a great communications in all areas, we helped each other when in doubt, we were both positive outgoing individual.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being recognized on our work performance therefore I was given for six years since 2007 to 2013 World Class Certificates and every last Friday of each month was "cake day" there was cake for all employees and for those that were in a diet they had fruit.
I also enjoyed being Vision Service Plan Spanish representative, besides selling individual plans for vision to our customers, when open enrollment was available for many employers to provide their employees many different insurance available to choose from I was representing Vision Service Plan for the Hispanic employees, this made me feel special because I was able to explain all the excellent benefits Vision Service Plan had to offer and answer the employers and employees concern.
I take pride in my job and the company I work for, I like to make the difference and be recognized. – less
World class customer service center in a positive environment
Hybrid / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAJuly 23, 2014
Pros: great healthcare benefits
Cons: short lunch breaks.
Providing exceptional customer service,educating on policies and procedures, processing claims and correcting billing errors. I learned a great deal about healthcare and claims and billings procedures. Management is a big part of large companies I worked well with both coworkers and management in large office setting. Hardest part of job is documenting – more... complaints. Very rewarding to help and educate clients who are grateful for your time. – less
Pre-application and experience was done directly at a job search.
Customer Service Representative, Phone Center (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAJune 25, 2014
Pros: representatives who were having a difficult time with the job were retrained at their own rate.
Cons: they were very strict about the amount of down time a person took.
This work place did an excellent job of training the phone reps well. In addition, you felt comfortable on the call center floor. They did allow for special needs of the phone and understand that family comes first,

A typical day would be accepting phone calls to help the members of the plan continuously all day long during the prime time between January – more... and June. When the phone calls lessen, the leads would sponsor fun activities for us to participate in to win prizes. This really was the best job I've ever had. – less
Decent
Supervisor (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAJune 16, 2014
Pros: free frame
Cons: mistrust
critical, mistrust, mistrust, mistrust, management, Friday end of day
Wonderful Company
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAMay 29, 2014
Pros: shift bids
Cons: nothing.
I loved this company. I had to resign due to my son being very Ill.
Good company to work for, ok for advance
Customer Svc. Rep (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAMay 21, 2014
Call Center is a challenge to work in, requirements can be very confusing and sometimes not straight forward. but overall if you can get out of the call center through advancement the company is a good company to work for.
THE worst organization I have ever worked for!
Supervisor, Marketing (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAApril 29, 2014
If you're looking to work for a company which promotes micro-management, fear-based insecurity throughout all levels -- especially the senior level, coupled with ridiculously high expectations to be on-call 24/7 with no family/work/life balance -- then you have found the place for you. And may God help you.

For me, I had no idea what I was getting – more... into.

From a public perspective, VSP has been riding the public relations coattails of having been on the Forbes list of "100 Best Places to Work" for FAR too long! In fact, 2008 was their last time yet they still seem to tote this moniker. To this day, I still hear outside community members state this as if it's still true. This might have been true when under the leadership of Roger Valine however, that is certainly not the case now. THE single best professional decision of life was when I quit VSP two years ago AND without another job to go to! The director I worked for in marketing was a raging psychotic who should never have been allowed to manage people (yet continues to do so today). Until then, I had never worked for someone who thought so little of their staff who worked their tails off for little pay and with NO recognition but instead, would ridicule staff in client and/or team meetings. And, as a 'supervisor', I was given all the responsibility to manage a ridiculous workload but with NO authority. Any and all decisions needed to be run past her first.

Seriously, the senior management should be ashamed. When are they going to realize, the high turnover they continue to experience (especially in the Marketing department) equates to a poorly run organization with senior leaders who have NO perspective and care so little for their employees.

VSP has had a notoriously long history of underpaying employees yet say they make it up in their benefits package. WRONG!! In fact, their current strategy is to hire 'contractors' for a year and just keep rotating new ones in each year. Perhaps this is best though as history has shown the past five years, each and every January, they (especially the marketing department) somehow undergoes a 're-organization'. In essence, it appears they really don't know what they're doing from a foundational business perspective yet it typically provides an excuse for them to once again change their business strategies in addition to 'weeding' out those they've been wanting to get rid of for a while without having to performance manage them. All of this makes sense since their head of HR is notoriously unethical and typically just looks the other way when it comes to protecting the employees. My guess is it will take a very expensive lawsuit filed by a very high-powered player in their senior ranks for even an ounce of change to occur.

This is all very sad since I understand from past employees who worked there during Valine's tenure, it truly was a great place to work. Unfortunately, no more.

To those who are considering employment with VSP, unless you are in a desperate financial situation, please think again. It's like selling your soul to the devil. You will never be the same person again.

Good luck to those who are still there and have become silent soldiers. Just know there is a better life outside those walls in Rancho and local companies who do care about the lives of their employees! – less
Not the company it used to be!
Lead (Former Employee), Rancho CordovaApril 14, 2014
Cons: no breaks, no work/life balance, favoritism, internal competitiveness
VSP Vision Care does not have the people, processes or technology to keep up with business needs.

The marketing department is poorly organized -- separating market managers and communications does not make sense!

The atmosphere is internally competitive -- every person for themselves. Not at all the team environment that was promised to me.

Middle – more... management spends all of their time covering their own mistakes and puts the burden of responsibility on the workers.

It's not a family-friend organization and does not build a sense of ownership.

I met some truly wondering people there -- to bad I wasn't able to work with them!

The company is successful despite the way people are treated and I believe this is due to the great doctors in the VSP network. – less
Productive and a teamwork workplace
Data Entry/Client Administrative Assistance (Current Employee), Rancho Cordova, CANovember 14, 2013
Working at VSP is amazing! The people here are welcoming and always willing to help out with whatever you may need. The management here is good due to the fact that they like to work in team and believe in teamwork to strive through success! The hardest part of the job is doing multi job projects at once but it's worth it knowing that we are helpng – more... people see. What I enjoy most about this job is that I am here to make a difference in helping people see through vision service plan. I love the enviorment and I love helping people. – less
Great employee development.
Group Information Specialist (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CANovember 12, 2013
Most enjoyable was the growth in the company....learning new jobs and developing stream lined services.
Good Company, great working environment.
Customer Service Call Center (Current Employee), Sacramento, CANovember 3, 2013
Pros: supportive co-workers
Cons: lack of advancement opportunity, low salary
I am on the email correspondence team with the customer service division at Vision Service Plan. I am responsible for appropriately responding to at least 7 emails per hour. Each representative on my team completes an average of 30 emails a day. After completing the emails, I am required to assist with the large volume of incoming phone calls. I have – more... learned to manage my time well, and have mastered the ability to understand and assist a variety of challenging customers. My manager has many good qualities and listens to my needs and concerns. My co-workers are very supportive and many I consider to be friends. The hardest and most frustrating part of my job is giving a 110% each and every day, and feeling that I am not compensated for my efforts. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping customers to understand their vision plan and how best to utilize their benefits. – less
Decent place to work. Good people. Nice Supervisors. Long memory.
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CASeptember 18, 2013
Pros: benefits, flex hours, bonuses
Cons: long memory, infrequent advancement opportunities
Non-production based call center. Calls can take as little as 2 minutes to over an hour. Your job is to be a one-call resolution rep.
Lots of training to do your job and lots of latitude to do it. You are give all the tools needed to make the caller whole. for whatever the situation is.

Co-workers are good people, unfortunately, due to the nature of – more... the call center, there is little to no time to interact with them. Breaks are random and teams, while grouped together, cannot go on breaks together.

Company was for several years, considered to be one of the top 100 places to work for in America. Unfortunately, that has not happened for nearly 10 years.

Still, they provide good benefits, generous 401k matching, company events, annual bonuses.

The one drawback experienced was the company's long memory if you make a mistake. It doesn't go away. Just lingers, waiting for another mistake to be added, until it threatens your job. – less
Busy
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Columbus, OHSeptember 11, 2013
This employer was a very friendly employer, the management, the co workers, they made coming to work nice. The actual job was very detailed and busy. I learned more about vision benefits. The hardest part about the job is that there were hardly any down time.
Productive and Rewarding
Claims Processor (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAAugust 25, 2013
Great group of coworkers and ability to move up in the company readily available. Expectations from employees was high but reward level for accomplishing goals was also high.
Unsatisfactory
Customer Service (Former Employee), ColumbusAugust 6, 2013
Pros: benefits were good at the time
Cons: everything else
Worked in Customer Service for a year. Mgmt are like the teachers in a Pre-School, They reward you with stickers, ballons, childish things when you receive a compliment and/ or meet goals. It is true that you have to account for ALL of your time each day, including the bathroom. You are on the phone ALL the time, handling everything, no transferring – more... calls to any other department. You have to handle it. The pay is low, I know someone there received a $0.10 raise. They are struggling in this economy to compete with the Big Box retailers who offer lessor priced vision services. A common complaint from their members is the high out of pocket cost for the glasses add-ons from their Network providers, when they can go to the numerous lessor priced providers – less
enjoyed working for this company because of their benefits and incentives.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAJuly 21, 2013
Pros: great health benefits, positive workplace
Cons: try to meet your quota of received calls
The quality care for this company is vey high. Everyday was intense but I loved coming to work because of the positive atmosphere and great employers.. I moved out of the area and had to leave the compnay.

About Vision Service Plan

VSP Global® is four lines of business who focus on everything about your eyes: helping your doctor with the best technology – Read more