Vision Service Plan

Vision Service Plan Employee Reviews

great experience
Optical Technician (Former Employee), rancho cordova, caJune 3, 2015
Pros: great vision benefits
Cons: training is not too great but you will get a chance to learn.
busy days at work, learned alot of things in optical field, management were cool, hardest part of job was having alot of overtime staying late and having school next day. co workers were very helpful, enjoyed working here becasue most of the time i was working on my own.
Good company to work for
Senior Software Developer (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMay 21, 2015
Small development team in Columbus. Good team to work with. Good work life balance. Good technologies to work on and an understanding team and management.
Good place to wrok
Developer Intern (Current Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAMay 18, 2015
Good place to work at get to learn various technologies. Agile is a nice environment to work with. Work culture is very amazing. Get to keep balance in life with work and personal life. Work doesnot over power family life.
Not a company who is minority friendly
CSR (Former Employee), Rancho CordovaApril 25, 2015
Pros: Free coffee, cake day
Cons: Anti minority, low pay, elitist attitude
The company hiring process is based on whether or not they like you personally. They hide behind a third party employment agency who are basically yes men. They work you for months and when time to offer you permanent, they will have there henchmen Volt terminate your assignment. Every minority in my training class was terminated with the same reason "Product Knowledge". All the knowledge needed for products are located in there data base to read but yet there trainer would always say you dont have to memorize this only find it. If you look at the company from the inside, there are very few minority supervisors or floor staff. The company pay is poverty and if your educated such as I they will not pay you. Bottom line not a good company unless you fit the color profile.
Kind of agree with "Horrible"
Optical Technician (Former Employee), Lacey, WAApril 22, 2015
Pros: Decent job security
Cons: Low pay, low morale and high employee turnover/required overtime/schedule changes
They talk about it like it's a family job/atmosphere, benefits are great, and it's more talk than anything at this place. Quality of the benefits was actually worse than Apple health care in my expereince which is provided by the state. And I heard situations where they told people to stay longer (happens a lot) and give them no choice but to take a 10 hour day or longer, ALL THE TIME, varied hours etc. People who had kids would say "I can't stay that late because I have to pick up my kid" and they'd simply tell those people to find another job. NOT a family environment whatsoever like they say. They didn't even know much about what I did. They'd tell me to get numbers all the time but never said what could be done differently. And the times they micromanaged only made things worse, and if I spoke up about my concerns they'd ignore me until thousands of company dollars were wasted later. This actually cost the company a lot of money because they'd assume I didn't know what I was talking about, when it's really because of THEIR lack of understanding that they think it's YOU not understanding it. This is why there's no room for advancement here. They rotate temps all the time and pay roughly minimum wage, very few raises or advancements, and if you do advance they'll pay you a salary and schedule you 12 hour days, 6 days a week and you'll live to work at this place. It's not ALL bad, it's just mostly bad. I made a couple of friends here, it provided me an opportunity to get some solid experience and get out of the hole I was in, but unless you're in that exact situation, I'd recommend – more... finding another job. I'd honestly recommend finding another job period, there are a lot of minimum wage jobs out there and some of them at least can appreciate the real deal more than this place does. They only see you as a number and mostly ignore everything else. They'll find ways to complain about you and make it impossible for you to win with them with highly unrealistic expectations of you. This creates major attitude issues and lack of morale, which is very contagious and obvious. There were a few times I actually snapped and became very angry with people there, which I don't normally do, but enough was enough. There were busy times that everyone was angry with the lab and very few people were not looking for another job. – less
Extremely successful company with unlimited potential.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAApril 8, 2015
Great company to work for due to it's success and opportunity for growth. Extremely fun environment for it's employees and always has cool events to keep an up beat, positive culture. Treats each member, doctor and client as if they are the only one. Thorough, intense training that gets the best out of each and every employee. Five star company!
Very productive work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Columbus, OhioApril 6, 2015
Pros: Friendly, professional environment
Cons: Small building
Professional environment. Everyone is nice and professional. Supervisors are really nice and are very encouraging.
Great Company- Great Benefits
Claims Processor/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAMarch 23, 2015
Pros: cake day!
It was a great company to for. Great benefits, people and managers. Room for growth and advancement. Your typical day depended on the department you were in.
A great work environment with constent change and improvements
Claims Processor (Current Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAMarch 9, 2015
Pros: working from home
Cons: low annual rasies
VSP is a great company to work for with their monthly cake days and fun working environment. As a claims processor I work from home with no micromanagement. The benefits are not as good as they used to be but they are still decent for a customer service company. The employees are friendly and the supervisor have very high expectations which are always achieved by the excellent staff.
Horrible
Optical Technician (Current Employee), Lacey, waFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: monthly cake days, quarterly bbq's
I currently work at the VSP Olympia lab in Lacey and cannot wait to find another position. I was hired through a temp agency and was told I would have the option to be hired permanently after three months. I didn't get hired permanently until almost 6 months. Management is horrible. They say they care about you and are that their doors are always open but that is not true. The supervisors don't care about you or even talk to you unless it is something negative. I have been reprimanded for being in the bathroom to long, for clocking in early, for talking to my coworkers, for requesting time off for a doctors appointment etc. They don't care about you at all, they only care about the numbers. Every employee is just a number to them. All we are is just an hourly quota. There is no room for advancements and the most I have ever heard of is an employee getting a raise of eleven cents. During the busy time they require ten hour days, 6 days a week sometimes even 7 days a week. Your coworkers don't care about you or helping you they just try to get you fired and steal your position. The managers have favorites and don't care about how hard you work. I've been employed for a year and barely make more than minimum wage. I have been discriminated against for being young and for having an education. Most people who work here are high school drop outs. They give small incentives for example I have received a five dollar gift certificate and a one dollar for the vending machine. This place is horrible! Please do not waste your time applying. I am greatly disappointed. I thought this could turn into a career. I was really excited to work at such a well known company and am so disappointed that this has turned into such a horrible life experience.
Call Center Life was NOT for me
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAJanuary 7, 2015
If you could get over their brain washing then VSP is for you!
Great employer
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAJanuary 6, 2015
I really enjoyed working here, the environment is very warm and welcoming. This is one employer I would not mind working for again. Benefits are awesome!
Fast past environment, friendly, motivated place
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee), SacramentoNovember 25, 2014
Pros: free lunches, celebrated birthdays and anniversaries, department pot-lucks
Cons: short breaks, more discipline to the workers, favoritism, lack of communication
Busy all time
learned to be more multitasked
Management always took care of their employees
Co-workers took care of each other, supporting each other, there where ups and downs but they came back around.
the hardest part is when we had a lot of jobs coming in and we have to get things done at a certain time.
The most enjoyable part of the day was towards the end of our work where we had to pack everything up to get shipped out.
Too much outsourcing. Employee turnover is high
Any job at the company (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAOctober 22, 2014
Cons: too much employee turnover
VSP advertises the same jobs every few months. This company doesn't retain their employees long term ever!

VSP isn't a ethical company to work for because the company advertises the same jobs over and over. HR personal for VSP calls job seekers for phone interviews then sneaks a 3rd party staffing agency recruiter right at the last second in the interview process without disclosing to the job seeker they do that because VSP doesn't hire employees permanently.

So if your a hard worker, smart, dependable and experienced don't waste your time applying to this company, because VSP does routine lay offs continually all the time. No one has a job at VSP for over 6 months at this company ever.

It isn't an employee friendly company. You won't get a permanent job here. Company only pays poverty wages.
Great company to work for, caring management.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 5, 2014
Pros: benefits are good, management will provide you the help to build your skills to the level you need to be at.
Cons: breaks may seem short. hours are based on seniority and numbers.
Taking inbound calls from Dr. office to assist them with billing questions and claim submission assistance.

Provide Vision Insurance benefit coverages and provide member assistance in reviewing claims for services at doctor office.

Assisted client representative in updating and terminating employees from Client group account.

The fun part of work is the calls are never the same and the members and office agents calling in are interesting to speak with. My co-workers are friendly and readily to assist each others. The hardest part is sometime not to take calls personally. It is not always about you but the caller may have a bad situation and they are taking out on the agent that answer their calls.
Amazing work environment
Claims Processor (Current Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAOctober 2, 2014
Vision service plan is an amazing place to work with good benefits and a fun management team. As a claims processor, I work from home and still engage with my great diverse coworkers. The company offers free cake every month for the employees and finds any way to encourage a happy and healthy work environment.
Not a place to work if a minority
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: excelent job for stability and pay
Cons: glass ceiling for minorities
While they offer great benefits, excellent pay and raises and job stability, for a minority to move upward is almost impossible.
My last work experience was assisting doctors, brokers, employers, customers, included sales, billing and more, this was a one call resolution.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: we are in control of our success.
Cons: our co-workers and friends had different break times.
A typical day at work is arriving 15 minutes early to review new policies and updates from my employer.
Each day was different due to the types of calls we received, it was doctors, employers, brokers and customers answering questions, resolving problems, billings and more.
There was a co-worker who was my best friend knowing that we connected because we had a great communications in all areas, we helped each other when in doubt, we were both positive outgoing individual.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being recognized on our work performance therefore I was given for six years since 2007 to 2013 World Class Certificates and every last Friday of each month was "cake day" there was cake for all employees and for those that were in a diet they had fruit.
I also enjoyed being Vision Service Plan Spanish representative, besides selling individual plans for vision to our customers, when open enrollment was available for many employers to provide their employees many different insurance available to choose from I was representing Vision Service Plan for the Hispanic employees, this made me feel special because I was able to explain all the excellent benefits Vision Service Plan had to offer and answer the employers and employees concern.
I take pride in my job and the company I work for, I like to make the difference and be recognized.
World class customer service center in a positive environment
Hybrid / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAJuly 23, 2014
Pros: great healthcare benefits
Cons: short lunch breaks.
Providing exceptional customer service,educating on policies and procedures, processing claims and correcting billing errors. I learned a great deal about healthcare and claims and billings procedures. Management is a big part of large companies I worked well with both coworkers and management in large office setting. Hardest part of job is documenting complaints. Very rewarding to help and educate clients who are grateful for your time.
Pre-application and experience was done directly at a job search.
Customer Service Representative, Phone Center (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAJune 25, 2014
Pros: representatives who were having a difficult time with the job were retrained at their own rate.
Cons: they were very strict about the amount of down time a person took.
This work place did an excellent job of training the phone reps well. In addition, you felt comfortable on the call center floor. They did allow for special needs of the phone and understand that family comes first,

A typical day would be accepting phone calls to help the members of the plan continuously all day long during the prime time between January and June. When the phone calls lessen, the leads would sponsor fun activities for us to participate in to win prizes. This really was the best job I've ever had.
Headquarters