Visionworks Employer Reviews

Negative 5 Stars
Eyewear Specialist, Part-time (Former Employee), Superstition Springs MallFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: being free of visionworks
Cons: illegal and unethical practices, failure to train properly, hostile work environment; age discrimination
If I could give NEGATIVE stars, I would. I am a recent Eyewear Specialist. The bottom line is money and sales. Sadly,the patient is not the primary concern. Management is so poor that it does more harm than good. I had to beg to be trained on their dinosaur doss computer system and still was ignored because I was "only part time" and older. So, I was not allowed to do sales. When I complained to management, I was told I had not met my sales quota. I was still in training. I did not even know what they were talking about! My hours were cut last week down to...wait for it..ZERO hours. I was lucky if I got 10 hours a week. I signed on for 20 to 25 hours weekly...not ZERO! How do you make a sales quota when you never work and are not trained to do the sales? Dumbfounding dilemma. Then the new GM came on board. He was useless. I knew more than he did and I did not know that much. All he did was cut employee hours to make his "bottom line." The manager resented his being brought in from outside. Employees were caught in the middle of this drama. What a mess. I am out of there and have filed a claim against the company. Their business practices are unethical to the point of illegal. BTW, I was going toward the restroom on my way out and was told by management that if I tried to use the restroom, they would call security! Why? Because, when I left I was "no longer an employee." These people are sick and petty. They try to squeeze you out when business is slow by giving you no hours, hoping you will quit so they don't have to pay unemployment. DO NOT WORK FOR VISIONWORKS!!! They do not deserve to be in business. They also have an "F" rating with the BBB. It does not get worse than that. BEWARE.
Fun work environment, not enough room for career advancement
Lab Supervisor (Current Employee), Murray, UTFebruary 6, 2015
I enjoyed the flexibility that came with the work, and enjoyed the retail staff. But compensation was not adequate for the amount of work involved.
Good Company
Optometric Technician/ Sales Associate (Former Employee), 6420 Backlick Rd Springfield Va.January 28, 2015
Pros: this is a large company.
This was my very first job in Optical Sales as a Contact lens technician. in the doctors office. I ion enjoyed the company feel how ever this location was closed down in the year of 2000.
My day in the lab
Lab Technician (Current Employee), Cuyahoga Falls, OHJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: free vision exams and glasses
Cons: lack of training
Visionworks is a wonderful place to work. The people are great. However, there is a lot to learn and management has contacted me several times at home, in front of my children, regarding mistakes made. I understand coaching, but that should be done on company time in my personal opinion. I also understand that this job should be given to someone with optical experience, not someone with only a mathematical background.

I learned to walk on egg shells when the lab manager was upset with another employee. I also learned that he will verbally bash them and gossip to other employees behind their backs.

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning a trade. I enjoyed learning how eyeglasses were made and put together.
Fun place to work with a people centered approach to customers and employees
Third Key Manager (Current Employee), Wyomissing, PaJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: invested in the potential of their employees
Cons: pay scale does not meet my situation
A typical day at Visionworks is all about people. From everyone that comes into the door, weather they have an appointment or not, to the employees and doctors that work there...everything is about investing in people. Patients can make an appointment or walk in off the street and get a eye exam at a great price with quality eyewear to match.

What I learned the most at this job is multitasking and coaching. Any effective manager can multitask as well as inspire their employees to do better.

The hardest part of the job is multitasking and coaching. Its a balance between the need to see quantitative, measurable results and inspiring your team, and yourself, to do better through self discovery.

The enjoyable part of the job is when you have a patient that really does appreciate the hard work you put into meeting their needs. Its hard to find a good optician, its very hard to find a favorite optician.
Fun, great working environment
Eye Wear Specialist/Sales (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 21, 2014
I have worked here for 5 months already and I absolutely love my job! I have worked in several different retail settings and I have hated them all. This is the exception. The customers are great, the environment is great, even my co-workers and management is fantastic. Any questions I have they are quick to help and always answer.
You should really rethink working here
Corporate Optometrist (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILNovember 24, 2014
Staff is poorly trained.

Pay is less than adequate.

The bonuses they promise are attainable... Never get them.
great job
Eyewear Specialist (Former Employee), Edina, MNNovember 12, 2014
A great job to work and grow your personal abilities. There are many opportunity to grow.
High volume sales environment.
Optician (Current Employee), Denton, TXOctober 25, 2014
Pros: commission rate, high volume is preferred.
Cons: healthcare, late hours, hours cut when slow.
I have worked as an optician for Visionworks for 4 years now, and have been in the optical field for almost 5. A typical day would be assisting multiple customers at a time, and achieving a sales to plan of $6-7,000 a day for the store. Each eyewear sales associate sales to plan goal is roughly $10,000 a week. The most enjoyable part of the job is being a part of a team, informing our patients of the products, and making them feel good about their purchases and their experience.
Gained a lot of skills
Optician 3rd Key Manager (Former Employee), Gurnee, ILOctober 22, 2014
New training presented.
Management showed compassion to the employees.
Great company
Equipment repair tech (Former Employee), Shertz, TXOctober 2, 2014
Pros: people
Great company, nice folks, and looking for improvement.
I had a great time with this company and can't really say anything but good things. Site director was a great leader an team leader was inspiring.
fun place to work
Lead Optical Assistant (Former Employee), hauppauge nyAugust 30, 2014
really pleasant to work with my coworkers and friendly people...everyday I learn something new about insurance and all about the process to fit a patient with the right glasses.
Difficult District Managers
General Manager & Training Manager (Former Employee), Plano, TXAugust 28, 2014
Pros: patients
Cons: not enough pay for too much stress
The DFW Area DM/Territory Director is very narcissistic and will not acknowledge the successes of the GM's. Lots of work for GMs on salary exempt schedules, but constant reduction of hours for supporting roles.
Optical training is NOT emphasized as being important; only SALES SALES SALES! And their products only!
GM will make bonuses and be successful, only to have goals then changed to be impossible for continued bonus.
TD does not tell the truth about compensation packages during recruitment.
productive, great vibe and work environment
Eye Ware Specialist (Current Employee), Avon, INAugust 21, 2014
Pros: short shifts, commission pay added on, co workers
Cons: pay isn't that great if working part time along with the hours
loved working with patients, great management. learned a lot from my co workers and doctors.
a typical day consist of scheduling appointments, doing pretests for doctors and selling glasses(frames and lenses)
i learned about the human eye and its capabilities, what it needs to stay healthy and how to adjust lenses to produce clear vision for people needed.
the hardest part of the job is selling if you cant take "no" for answer. its all about what best for the patients.
most enjoyable part was helping someone be able to see again, whether it was finding and selling a pair they love to them or fixing it with some creativity and pieces of tape.
Decent work environment
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee), MissouriAugust 20, 2014
Could be a great place if they delivered what they promised and cared more about people than just the bottom line.
positive and clean environment
Sales Associate, Od Tech (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2014
Pros: hourly wage, plus commission, and advancement
Cons: understaffed, cut hours tremendously
A typical day at work included pretesting patient's to allow the doctor's visit to be more thorough and entering a customer's information into a computer, measuring a customer for glasses using specific guidelines, suggesting the right lenses for each customer's needs, helping customers choose eyeglass frames, troubleshooting problems customers may have with their glasses, and dispensing finished glasses.
OPT Technician (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZJune 30, 2014
A typical day at work included pretesting patient's to allow the doctor's visit to be more thorough. Management was good, they were in the process of receiving a new regional manager and moving general managers of stores around. Co-workers worked well together to get the job done. The doctor's I worked with were great and really looked out for the best interest of their patient's. The hardest part of the job was not understanding eyeglasses completely. The most enjoyable part was being able to work with people who I know consider my friends.
Good Co-Workers
Optical Assistant (Current Employee), Geneva, NYJune 5, 2014
I have great co-workers, they are always very helpful. Job is very detail-oriented and you always have to be paying attention. Overall good place to work but can be challenging.
I learned a lot of useful skills
3rd key Eyewear Specialist Retail Manager (Former Employee), La Crosse, WIJune 4, 2014
Pros: clean and respectable, great learning experience, great hours
Cons: salary
Working with different people of all ages with skills I can advance with. I went from a part time consultant to a third key manager and learned all of my customer service and sales skills from this experience. The hardest part of the job was cleaning all of the glasses and the most enjoyable part was helping all the different people find something that fit them best.
Lab Supervisor (Current Employee), McAllen, TXMay 8, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: under staffed
Good People to work with. Stores are under staffed and over worked. Short lunches and lots of black out days on when you can use your vacation. Raises are slow and advancement is hard to come by.

1 2 3 4 5

About Visionworks

Visionworks of America (formerly Eye Care Centers of America) is clearly focused on becoming the top eyewear chain. The company – Read more