Visiting Angels Employee Reviews

sadly disappointing
Retired Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MissouriFebruary 28, 2014
I am a retired Physical Therapist Assistant who just moved to Springfield, MO. I wanted to continue to help our geriatric population in some way part-time. So I called Springfield's Visiting Angels Agency and after speaking to the owner, I applied & was soon called to begin work performing three 24-hour shifts a week. My client was a very pleasant man who had a very loving supportive sister with whom I spoke to each of my days in the home regarding her brother's care. I felt that this would be a good fit for me as I helped this man continue to live in his own home & be strong & independent. In just my third week of working for Visiting Angels I received a call from one of the office staff and was told they did not feel that "I was a good fit" for this client & I would no longer be needed. There had been no problem issues with the client nor with his sister who told me each time I spoke with her what a good job I was doing & how much I was appreciated by them. The agency would tell me nothing, refused to tell me what, if any, the problem was. When I ask to speak with the owner I was told he would "call me when it was convenient with him" which he has yet to do. My first and only pay check from Visiting Angels they did not pay me the rate at which I was told when they hired me & I was cheated out of $100. During my short time working for this agency I was agreeable to help them out when they had emergency situations to cover extra hours during my shifts & also to work extra hours on my off days to help them out. I have tried to call the office to find out what went wrong & have  more... to this day still not been told why they pulled me out of the client's home. This whole situation has left me feeling awful, especially because I have no idea what they were unhappy about, what went wrong or why they have never called me with any other work hours.  less
Pros
this job allowed me to be productively helpful & was self rewarding
Cons
handles professional staff unprofessionally, did not pay at the rate they quoted at time of hire, did not return calls in a professional manner
Unprofessional
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CANovember 3, 2015
I started this job because of my passion to help elder people, when I interviewed I was clear on my availability to travel and I was reassured that their were plenty of clients in the area. The first thing that should have alerted me of this company not being what was advertised, after orientation I was brought in to get my first client and the coordinator was very pushy trying to pawn off a client which was over an hour away from and also needed care I wasn't trained in so even after I explained that she continued to try to push me into taking and then asking to lie to the family about my experience, which is flat out wrong I wasn't about to do this, if I took that job untrained I could have injured myself and client. But after that I got a couple of clients near by but then the coordinators would blow up my phone or email trying to convince me to drive hours out of my area for shifts and I couldn't do it then they stopped giving any new clients so I was stuck with just two days a week which I made hardly anything and then I became quite ill first with very bad strep throat I called in and all they did was try to get me to work anyways when clearly in the handbook no caregiver who is sick should not work with elderly clients which would help prevent them from
Becoming sick and having worked complications.
Months after that I ended having severe anxiety attacks and was hospitalized. I was in no shape to talk to anybody so my sister called them to explain the situation but they could have cared less they were rude to her and still demanded to speak to me, after this situation
  more... they ended up taking my only shift away and insisting the only way I could get another shift was to come to the office an hour away from me just to go over what could have sufficed with a phone call. But when I couldn't make it was weeks before I heard from them so I resigned, they still were unprofessional and not quite empathetic or considerate. I wouldn't recommend this company.  less
Pros
Wage, reimbursements
Cons
Unprofessional, rude
Visiting Angels
Traveling Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLApril 20, 2013
A typical day well, Visiting Angels is an employment agency for nursing personnel. With that said, you compete for jobs. It is based on your availability, and where you wish to travel too. You can have as many clients as you want or as little work as you want. The schedule is based on client requirements. I would say that you learn to deal with different people, because as you know no one is the same. And it was important to take notes so that you could please the client.

Management, well the owner was the manager. He used to have a saying, if you said no, too many times then you would not call be called for clients. You knew how well you were doing by how busy you were. Co-workers, I did not see them too often.

The hardest part of the job was not being prepared for the situations that you were walking into. I remember that I arrived at a home and the client’s family member wanted me to remove my shoes. Well if I had know that she did not want us to wear shoes that we were wearing to the house I would have brought my booties. They are shoe covers that you see in hospitals. The other thing that I found difficult was when I had no time to get to the next client’s home, without be late. I do not like rushing out, then rushing in. Because I felt it was not professional to the clients.

The most enjoyable part of my job was helping my clients. I received the most caring award. I wanted my clients to know that I care, that we were there for them. I did whatever that was in the scope of my position. If they needed to go to the doctor, or if they needed to shop, I was there for them.
  more... I asked what they wanted; it was not my job to tell them what to do. Assisting them was the reason that I was there. I was an extension of them for the things that they could not do or did not want to do. Examples are house cleaning, making their lunch.  less
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
when the client failed to pay the office, you were not paid either
Growing Home Healthcare Agency
Lead Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJuly 3, 2013
Often mornings I would receive on-call calls stating a caregiver had called in. I would drop what I was doing to get online to the scheduling data base and see who was not working during the shift times that the caller was calling off for. I would call all caregivers to find a replacement as soon as possible until a caregiver was found. I would then call the client or family member to make them aware of the change. Next I would follow up on all late notice texts that I received showing caregivers who clocked in late. I would confirm this on the scheduling system and if they were still not clocking in I would call them to inquire why they were not. After all morning fires were put out I would work on scheduling for any open shifts for the future, once confirmed with the caregiver and client I would assign the shift to the appropriate caregiver and confirm the appropriate chargeable rate for that specific client. Other duties that I would perform when I had time were to check visit records and track which employee had turned them in to get reimbursed for their trip for that shift. On Mondays of each week I would run a report for billing purposed confirming all shifts were correct, the correct rate was going to be billed, and a trip fee was charged. I answered incoming calls through out the day, relaying info to the case manager if there was a mental or physical problem with the client out in the field so she could go attend to the matter. I enjoyed working with all of my co-workers, each of them bringing a different skill and personality to the table to make a great work environment.
Pros
the directors there were generous with rewards such as bonuses and lunches.
Cons
there was not any type of insurance offered.
Visting angels is a great place to work for.
caregive/home health aid/compaion (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJune 3, 2012
1. is going to my client house assisting in any way i can as far as my limitations, bathing, dressing, cooking, feeding, light housekeeping, errands, Dr. appts, med, reminders. documentation of daily functions.
2. is that everyone weather young or elderly that needs care needs to be treated with empathy,patience, caring, and a listening ear. most of what i learned is taking care of my hospice clients. the client and family are suffering and i am able to bring my experience in to assist from a realm of issues. able to be their for then when their loved ones takes their last breath. able to stay calm, comfort, and listen. i learned this job this part is not for everyone but this so is my passion to help others is a difficult time.
3. i would just like if possible management could hear new ideas and help maybe with newsletters to let us know they are their and maybe have an open door policy and more communication.
4. sometimes the caregiver is more experienced than the other and may not be knowlegable in the field because the client suffers then caregiver has to report to the office with information.
5. i found being a team player is difficult for some caregivers.
6.to know that i did the best to my ability. and someone needs to be the voice for the clients who may not be able to speak. to bring my experience to the family's who so need the help. most of all talking to my clients they are a history book and have expereienced life more than me.
Pros
flexable schedule self sufficent, little supervison, learn something new, and providing a fullfiling purpose.
Cons
difficult caregivers
easy money for caretakers
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 8, 2015
A typical day of a certified nursing assistant would go something like this: In the morning they would help the patients dress if needed, and assist them in any way to get ready for the day, including help in the bathroom if needed. They would also assist in feeding the patients breakfast if needed. Especially with the elderly or extremely ill patients, vitals usually need to be taken. Sometimes, depending on the patient, vitals can also mean listening to the heart and lungs and recording how the patient is breathing.

In the afternoon, nursing assistants would help with transferring patients to and from their different appointments if necessary, make their beds, and help feed them lunch if necessary. Vitals usually need to be taken yet again with the very old and/or sick patients. In the evening, nursing assistants would help put patients pajamas on if needed and help feed them dinner if needed as well. Vitals usually need to be taken again with the very old and/or sick patients. Nursing assistants also need to assist with baths too either during the afternoon or evening if the patients are unable to do so themselves. So, as one can see, nursing assistants are there for the patient for all their basic needs during the entire duration of the day.

Nursing assistants are also responsible for changing diapers on patients if used. Other random duties that nursing assistants are expected to perform during the entire duration of the day is to empty catheters for patients that have them. Also, to empty bedpans as well if used.
Pros
great pay
Cons
on job training
Fun work place, everyone is extremely nice and easy to get along with so it makes work fun and easy going.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Newburyport, MANovember 11, 2013
A typical day at work for me consists of scheduling employees to go into elderly houses to help them with their personal care and needs. Included in that is, answering phones and talking to clients and employees to meet their needs and wants. The company is small and only consists of 6 people including the owner. We are a small company that is continuing to grow and between the 6 of us we have many responsibilities. Not only am I responsible for scheduling, I am now the primary person in charge of billing and payroll. My coworkers are all wonderful and make working there easy to love. I have learned everything I know about billing and payroll from this company, which is the most enjoyable part of my job. I would say the hardest part of my job is scheduling when there are multiple employees on vacation and having to switch other employee’s schedules around to make both client and caregiver happy. Overall, I do enjoy my job a lot and it is rewarding to help people that really need help and appreciate what we do.
Pros
paid lunch breaks, flexible and easy going boss
Cons
sometimes we have to stay later due to a growing company and being short staffed
this was an enjoyable experience for me and the clients.overall this was one of the best places to work.
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Midwest City, OKJanuary 29, 2014
A typical day goes like this,I would show up and usually the client wants to bathe first and get dressed. Then I make some coffee and a nice breakfast of eggs and bacon and orange juice. The client and myself watch some tv and talk to each other.Then I clean up the kitchen ,make the bed and prepare a decent meal for their dinner. I usually like to do crock pot dinners and I leave them an extra plate in the fridge in case they get hungry later on in the evening after I've gone home.Sometimes we do our days a little different just to add different things like play a game or what ever the client wants to do. Oh and I do make lunch for them like a sandwich or something like that.The hardest part about this job is when we have to say goodbye because I get a new clients or something like that,for me it was moving out of state and it was hard leaving.I learned that the elderly or handicapped are people just like any of us younger ones just wiser some of them.
Pros
i was happy and looked forward going to work everyday.
Cons
no healthcare and sometimes you only get small jobs until they find a fit for myself and the client.
Taking a few hours to help someone else.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 29, 2014
My typical day at work is busy. I do anything from waking them up to getting them dressed, feeding, activities, light house keeping, talking/entertaining, and sometimes driving them around.
Working with elderly, I learn as much as I can. I can honestly say that I take my life way more serious now and I am becoming more responsible of my actions and health.
I hardest part of the day sometimes can be working with a Hospice case, I get so attached with that person and the family and a few days or a couple of month they pass away... Or walking into a case and getting to know my client and hearing their stories sometimes its very sad because they wish they weren't in so much pain that they are in and there is not too much I can do.
At the end of the day. Wether it is a hospice case or just a regular case. They tell me all the funny stories and I get a "thank you" and smiles. Knowing that even when they are going through pain and stress, me being in their home was a strawberry on the cake!
Pros
meeting great people, choosing my own hours(long hours), free food/desert, getting smiles and thanks from my cases.
Cons
hourly salary for the distance i go.
A day working as a Home Helath Aide for Visiting Angels Living Assistance Services
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 5, 2013
A typical day at work involves me entering the patient's home, greeting him/her. I then begin to prepare the patient to get out of bed for hygiene care and other necessary care required for the patient such as assisting with ambulation, transferring the patient from the bed to wheelchair to the bathtub for a bath. Then once the patient is dressed, I check the patient's glucose level, record it, prepare breakfast and do light house cleaning and provide further care as necessary. I learned that you have to be patient with your patients and to always strive to give the best care possible to the patient. I don't consider anything to be the hardest part of my job but the most enjoyable part is being able to help the patient. It brings me so much joy when I'm able to help the patient get ready for his/her day and communicate with him/her. Management is great and the co-workers I have encountered are very friendly. Being a Home Health Aide is more than just a job to me. I have a heart for the people I provide care for and it's a privilege to help someone in need of assistance.
Not my favorite place to work
Companion (Former Employee) –  Yukon, OKAugust 13, 2015
I was so excited when I got this job despite the low pay because I was able to start gaining experience in the field I was going to school for which was medical.. My position was as a companion and I was to assist elderly patients with light housekeeping, cooking, medication reminders, and running errands if needed. I loved the patients I was assigned to but the other side of things at the office where these clients were being scheduled the "schedulers" were very rude when I would talk to them which made me uncomfortable, they were constantly changing me around to different clients at no request of mine or the clients they just couldn't figure out how to keep help at most of their homes, and they were not very nice if you needed a day off after they had been working me several days in a row without even the mention of a day off before I asked for one and I was treated like I a horrible person for needing to take a half a day off to take my kid to the doctor but as mentioned after working several day in a row that was actually almost 3 weeks straight.
Pros
clients
Cons
scheduling
Great for people who are looking for a part time job
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 17, 2014
A typical day at work is going to an elderly patients' house help them on their daily routines if they need it, help them with their errands & light house work, take them to any appointments they have, and keep them company until your shift is done. I usually take my patients for a walk if they want to or go outside for a bit and enjoy the park. I learned how to be stronger as a person not to get attached to the patients and their families that I worked with and I managed to be a stronger person because of this. One of the hardest part of the job is when the schedule administrator doesn't call or email to let you know that your shift is cancelled for the day at all unless you call them but you'll only know it's cancelled when you get to patient's place already so it's a waste of gas and time driving. Another part of the job that is hard is when patients pass away even though you know it's their time to go, but the most enjoyable part of this job is that you made new friends and someone smile, even just in a short period of time working with them.
Secure company, works with caregivers for time off, consistent, pay raises
Caregiver/Personal Assistant - . (Current Employee) –  not able to relocateOctober 22, 2015
A typical day with client - Get up, dressed and or bathed. Breakfast - cereal, toast and egg, or oatmeal. Get ready to run errands, grocery shop, or go to the Senior Center. Most, especially, enjoyed day trips i.e. boat trip around Houston Ship channel. Talked about it for days.

Client enjoyed participating in Bible Study at local church: garden club and their activities.

Doctor's appointments when scheduled. Schedule dental appointment, if necessary.

Client has a history of falling. Make agency aware and fill out accident incident form. Make family aware of accidents and make recommendations. i.e., more caregiver scheduling needed. Prepare lunch, when needed. Ate out a lot.

Client tended to be a bit rude but with care she became a good friend. I red that "it's all in the tone of your voice" - so I watched the tone of my voice and client never again made hurtful comments.

Co-workers, satisfactory.
Pros
Easy work. Not stressful. Good hours
Cons
. Appraised agency of all problems not related to client care
enjoy working with others and putting a smile on someones face.
Caregiver/compaionship (Former Employee) –  florance ky. u.s 42August 21, 2013
I think the greatest thing is to care , take the time to talk and know there needs and dislikes, Have patients and a caring heart a lot of love. Put a smile on some ones face. Willing to help out with your co-workers be friendly clean and kind. I dont believe in stilling lieing nor cheating my fellow man. If ask to work be there on time and if relieving a co-worker dont make them wait. Be on time . Cummunicating with your boss and feel they should be able to do the same. I do my best at what i do and am a hard worker caring and loving . I have learned a little kindness and caring goes a mighty long way. Dont bring your personal probs to your work place. leave them at home. If you know some one needs help then give a helping hand. If a co/worker has done something wrong then talk to your boss and let them handle the prob. Dont make it your prob. Mind your own bussness and do your own job and not leave it for the next one go on and take the time do get it done.
Pros
be neat clean, and ready to work
Cons
work with others not againest
Not truthful to perspective employee in interviews and orientation
Caregiver/Housekeeper/Dog Care giver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TxApril 12, 2013
Applied to this company and was hired a week later after 2 interviews and successful orientation. Career Builder ad stated that both full and part time openings were available and some 4 hour shifts. As requested by the admin, I gave my availability Mon-Sun 7a to 7p. Was told the more flexibility the better the hours. Well, my first 3 weeks of assignments only totaled 12 hours a week (3 4-hour days a week.) I believe this Visiting Angels office defrauded me by advertising one thing and giving me another. PRN and "fill-in" work was not discussed in otientation. The client home I was placed in was FILTHY, smelled of dogs and there was so much clutter it could be classified a fire hazard. It appears the family are "Hoarders". I saw dog hair and mud everywhere. Unsanitary cooking conditions. I would not use their restroom either! I was traumatized by the filthy living conditions.
Pros
no pros
Cons
too many to list ... poor decision to work for them. feel duped!
In general, the office staff has been most accommodating to my employment needs.
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, MAFebruary 20, 2014
Most of my contact with my employer is via telephone. They call me to inquire if I would be interested in covering any extra shifts that they may need coverage for on occasion. They are very accommodating as far as my need to work close to where I live and don't have to do much travelling. I don't have much contact with any other co-workers as I work independently out of my home. I find the job quite rewarding and if I have any questions or concerns, I simply call the office for their guidance. In this respect, they have been very helpful. I consider myself to have a very nurturing and compassionate personality which makes my job very rewarding.
Pros
one of the perks of the job is that when/if they call you to work an extra shift and you accept, you receive a "reward point" which will eventually earn a gift card for gasoline.
Cons
they do not offer any insurance benefits, no sick pay as this is mostly a part-time position (under 40 hrs, per week)
Interesting Work Environment
Medical Assistant Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 11, 2014
There really aren't any typical days at Visiting Angels. I only worked for this company for 2 years, but the experiences were all worth while. I worked with some very interesting clients whom felt very comfortable with my presence and the care given to them. In one instance I started off taking care of a husband and after his passing the family wanted me to continue to care for their mother. I really did'nt socialize with my co-workers outside of my job. I take working with my clients very seriously, therefore if it does not pertain to the care and the welfare of the client I do not indulge in it. The most enjoyable and rewarding thing about this job is that I am able to give one on one attention to each and every client and watch them come out of their shells and gain more confidence in themselves. There is nothing else that I rather do.
Pros
the freedom of working independently.
Cons
having to work with others who have no idea as to what is going on.
It was fun initially
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Eagle, COApril 3, 2015
Fun place to work initially. There was no such thing as a typical day at work. Mondays were always payroll and billing days but any other day of the week we could be asked to do anything from marketing to scheduling or visiting a client in the hospital last minute, delivering flowers, making candy jars to market, participate in webinars, create excel spreadsheets, answering phones. You name it we did it!

Very poor management by owner of this particular franchise. Calls on weekends and any time of night before I was on salary. Owner is very poor communicator. answers calls on his cell at his convenience and just generally does not know how to run a business. Very poor job security.

I learned how to multitask even better than I already knew how. I learned patience. I have honed my skills in Quickbooks.

Never knowing what I would be asked to do on any given day sometimes asked to do things I was not comfortable doing.

Rewarding! helping people and working with the caregivers!
most clients were a pleasure to work with, A few were unbearable
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Mosinee, WIDecember 4, 2015
I cared for people in their home who were unable to make meals, take care of their hygiene, care for their home, med reminders and all aspects of living they needed help with. I learned to listen-the elderly who are full of knowledge that ordinarily we do not think about and they have a wealth of experience to share. I am a person who loves to share life stories with others and management felt I became to personal and close to my clients. I became a very close friend and companion with most of my clients and sometimes did more than I was expected. My coworkers are very caring and hard working people. We shared our clients needs and wishes with each other and tried to keep their lives as normal for them as possible. The hardest part of the job was losing them to death, nursing homes. ect. The companionship I received.
Pros
lasting friendships, satisfaction from work I could do
Cons
Lifting clients, keeping them feeling good about themselves
Client Care Assistant Manager
HHA- Client Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 11, 2013
I started working as an HHA, and was promoted into the Client Care Assistant Manager. I absolutely loved my job with this company. Everyone was very friendly, and helpful. I decided to choose to go back into the field after working in the office to help out with a live in client that they did not have anyone else to go to. I worked that client for about 2-3 months and decided i couldnt do the live in shifts anymore, it was becoming to much. I tried to get my job back in the office that i was told would be waiting for me when i was finished filling in temporarely which turned permanant and my job was not still avaliable. I then decidced to look for employment elsewhere. I do highly reccommend this company for work if you are looking to be a HHA they have an amazing staff, and owner. They are all very hard working and i wish i could have gotten my hours back or at least close to the same hours back.
Pros
lunch break, friendly staff and employees
Cons
not enough hours