Visiting Angels Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
Certified PCA/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 23, 2017
A typical day at work would include taking care of my clients meals, cleaning, grocery shopping, bathing and grooming him. In the experience of working for Visiting Angels I have not learned anything that wasn't common sense. As far as management, all of the family members run the company. And you wont be acknowledged unless you speak first, even if you run into them after hours in a store.The hardest part of the job is getting paid pennies after working hard everyday.So, if you are looking for a job that is going to pay you what you're worth, treat you well, and appreciate you....don't work at Visiting Angels!
Pros
vacation time mostly requested and approved
Cons
pay wage, small raises if any
Great clients horrible management
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 27, 2017
They start you off with 9/hr and you can get raises every 3 mo if you're a good worker. Clients are great, some aren't but most are wonderful. VA staff- terrible. You're supposed to get a schedule every week- you wont. Even asking for one will take days. They coordinators won't take your calls often and you will receive criticism from them quick. If you don't take shifts you're cut. They will ask you if you can work even if you have an important event.. no ?? They offer healthcare but require a mandatory meeting which will more than likely start while you're at work.. then won't give you enough time to make it over there. Also punish entire group of caregivers of direct deposit because some people won't work on weekends. Not very fair. Plus our bonuses are candy. For all of our hard work.. plus they earn off your gas mileage. Ask clients for 75 cents per mile we only get 50 it's our gas also don't reimburse you for travel to clients place which will be across town!
Pros
Clients
Cons
Management, hardly any benefits, poor pay
Caring people and flexible.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 4, 2017
Was given fantastic clients with various health issues. I loved each. I was mostly a housekeeper. Crazy schedule, but worked out fine with my other jobs. Short hours. No raises after the initial one. After a year and a half I asked for a raise but wasn't given one. They did give me a one time bonus after a year. They don't seem to be very coordinated. They don't listen. Knowing I'm not a smoker, still sent me to smoker's home. I eventually had to refuse smoker's home and have never been sent to another client. Completely isolated from other caregivers, its like you are alone with no one to turn to. That said, the staff is very nice, caring, and easy to relate to.
Pros
Flexibility, easy work, nice staff
Cons
No raises or other benefits, short hours, lack of office coordination
Nice company to work for, but will not get you to far
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHJanuary 7, 2017
I have worked for VA for a few years now. The staff/company is very organised. The pay is alright, and they do raise you a little bit each year. Is very hard to be recognised, I feel like sometimes they don't appreciate what I do. Other times they do. You tell them your availability, but when they really need coverage, they will find a way to talk you/force you into taking the shifts, even if you have to sacrifice your own personal things.

No stable hours, they can very likely change from month to month.
And you will not be the employee of the month unless you are some type of snitch. If you don't stand up for yourself, they will take advantage of your stupidity.
Pros
Nice shirts, very organized
Cons
no stability, they like to force you to take on shifts you cant take.
No opportunity for advancement, but easy job
Caregiver/CNA (Former Employee) –  Clarkston, MIMarch 6, 2017
Good company to work for, management is very nice and friendly, all clients I have come into contact with and their families are very nice and friendly. You're able to choose which areas you are willing to travel to.
Pros
Flexible Hours, a lot of downtime, direct deposit for paycheck
Cons
No opportunity for advancement, doesn't pay more than $10/hr, no benefits, doesn't pay for expenses for travel
Not a good company to work for
Caregiver for Elderly (Former Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WANovember 25, 2016
The management is bad, the pay is too low for what you have to do and travel to. They do pay .55 per mile, I guess that is a plus. Poor communication is what makes up for it most the time. You get to where you are going and turn around and go home because they have sent someone else and they were not listening when you told them you could work the assignment. They will blame everything on you and threaten you. Management has no idea what they are doing. Not worth the stress. There are other companies also that pay benefits, they dont have any incentives. They expect you to live off 55.00 per week while they are constantly leaving the area without telling you.
Pros
Cons
Poor management. Lack of communication and support. Low pay. No benefits. Stress.
Great Workplace
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYFebruary 15, 2017
Amazing staff, very caring and loving management. So understanding if you have to call in sick because your child isn't feeling well! Give you so many opportunities to grow with the company and get raises.
Pros
PTO
Great company
Caregiver/CNA (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 20, 2016
Fantastic company to work for. Management/office team have been excellent/easy to work with. They try to work with you and your family life. They have events to show their appreciation for employees and provide continued education throughout the year for employees. You can pick your hours, what shifts you want to take. You get to really spend time with clients and get to know them, especially if its a permanent assignment, and it really lets you feel like you're making a difference in peoples' lives.
Pros
Great team, choose shifts, continued training provided
Cons
hours aren't always consistent, no benefits
Respectful Management. They provide a great service and are top in the field of caregiving.
Caregiver & Part-time HR Recruiting (Current Employee) –  Greencastle, INNovember 14, 2016
I feel proud to work for Visiting Angels. They work hard to connect the right caregiver with consumer. They are organized and have a strong system in place to monitor the services they provide. Management team works hard to make sure new hires are trained, shifts are covered, and consumer voices are heard. Some of the hardest working managers I have ever worked with.
Help increase individuals livlihoods
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 2, 2016
Great place to work. I worked with individuals who had Alzheimer's and dementia. I passed medication. I also assisted with therapy and exercises twice a day. I have my First-Aid and C.P.R certificate. Management was great. I talked mostly to the scheduler, she would call to tell me about new clients.
Pros
I loved interacting with my clients, it was rewarding
Cons
There were no benefits
Very good owners and great job ssecurity
Caregiver/ Office Aid (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, ILDecember 28, 2016
Very nice management. Pay could be a little higher. The clients are very nice people. I get much enjoyment out of helping the elderly.Job security is good. The owners stick with there workers and communicate. Communication is great.
Pros
nice management
Cons
not many hours
It is a never ending need
Care Giver (Former Employee) –  Pendleton, INDecember 3, 2016
varied
dementia training,transfers
management-not very supportive
not really a co-worker experience- one on one with clients and families
when a client dies or does not reach their set goals
seeing success. getting them and their families back to their normalcy
Pros
helping others out in a difficult time
Cons
benefits/pay/management-ownership
Job Training
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 28, 2017
Overall, I had a good run with this company. Unfortunately due to changes in leadership where the daughter was brought in to scale back; my hours were reduced immensely. I could not accept such a change living so far away.
Pros
Flexibility and Advancement
Cons
Management changes
met many different people
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOJanuary 8, 2017
A typical day at work would consist of making breakfast for my client
dressing them, cleaning up the house, take them anywhere they needed to go doctor appointments, grocery shopping. Fix lunch and dinner.

I had a great time talking to the elderly people I worked with,I learned so much from them. It was a history lesson without a book.

Management really did not understand the clients we worked with,
not to say that they did not try too. It is just not the same to talk on the phone with them as in person.

We did not have co-workers that much maybe on or to to take a split shift.

The hard part was to say good bye to them.

The best part was to be able to spend time with them.
Pros
Always something new everyday.
Cons
Getting to attached
Good job for Working in the Houses.
Private Duty Nurse / Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Port Huron, MIAugust 29, 2016
Your work with each case will be different of hours you work and what days. How far you will travel. Most times you will not see any co-workers. Management was good to work for.
Pros
Pick your cases on the hours, days you want to work.
Cons
No healthcare, raises.
A typical day at work/management/hardest part of the job/enjoyable part of the job
PCA (Former Employee) –  PAAugust 16, 2016
Bad Experience.....Clients need to get a background check done before placing a PCA in the home. Management was no help. This job is harder than they show on those beautiful commercials on TV. Don't get paid enough! No Benefits. Enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people. I learned many people have many difficult lives, lives I don't understand. Maybe another Visiting Angels will work differently.
Pros
Did have the opportunity to deny a client/met new people
Cons
Office was misleading
This company was not very good.
Caregiver/CNA (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 21, 2017
The people definitely do not "care" about employees as they lead employees to claim. They will have you running back and forth. Some of the clients and cases, you aren't guaranteed, and if you don't want someone withholding your check, you may want to rethink visiting angels. It's not a good company at all. They call their clients their "big money," which is, in all honesty, extremely rude. They are not just money.
Pros
Meeting elderly people and learning their stories.
Cons
No guarantee of job security- how they speak to you- lie to you.
Productive place to work.
Direct Careworker (Current Employee) –  Milton, DEJanuary 19, 2017
Company willing to work with you on job assignments.
Great company to work for. Management is on their job. They try to fit your schedule of work. Unfortunately I needed a babysitter and could not take on some if the assignments. When I finally got babysitter in place they terminated my emloyment. They tried hard to wirk with me.
Cons
If you refuse toomany of job assignments they will not put you on schedule any more.
Chance to advance
Client Services (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXOctober 1, 2016
The location is under new management. Quite frankly, I'm only impressed with two of the new members. I payed no attention to the prior management because I had no time to get to know them due to my then second job. I just read a prior review for the same location I'm with and couldn't agree more with him or her. The client care coordinator is all I would change about the company. I have developed a bond with so many clients throughout the time I have been there. They are the strong ones who keep me from going anywhere else. I think of the client coordinator and I can't help but feel depressed. This isn't the field for her. I recommend this job to anyone because we can all make a difference in someones life. Just overlook the client coordinator. Our commitment doesn't depend on her, it depends on our hearts.
Pros
Extra training is provided and chance for advance depending on study.
Cons
I have to agree with the same as prior review for my location.
If you like working with in-home clients you should VOLUNTEER
HCA/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJanuary 3, 2017
I thought this franchise was going to really work out for me as I love caregiving and have done this professionally (and privately all my life). Disheartening. This particular franchise cares only for the cash - there are no benefits, no room for growth. Befriending clients is frowned upon, yet a "bond" is recommended. If you are planning to live on minimum wage here, forget it, not matter how much you love your job. There is no communication between caregivers - even when relieving each other with hospice - and no communication with management except by often confusing texts which are not timely. This has proved disastrous and this particular franchise got off lucky. They told me in the beginning, to my face, that they had chose this franchise to make money, and as Maya Angelou always said, "when someone tells you who they are, believe them the first time". Your hours are not guaranteed from one day to the next so don't expect this job to pay your rent. If you are retired, have other income, and need something to show the IRS this may work for you.
If you love working with others, being there; caring and hearing stories that enrich your own life - find a way to volunteer. These agencies take in at least $26.00 per hour and give you 8-12.00 per hour. In may cases you are expected to be a maid, not the " tea-loving " companion you see in all those great commercials.
VOLUNTEER. It makes the world a better place. I would never recommend this company, nor would I ever work for any of it's franchises again.
Pros
The wonderful clients!! Soul-connections!
Cons
No management, no benefits, minimum wage, no potential

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Visiting Angels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8