Visiting Nurse Association Of Ohio Employee Reviews

Flexibility and team players
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, OHApril 24, 2017
Flexible scheduling allows me to work and also raise children and have a family. Everyone at the VNA is a team player. You can always count on your co workers to help out when needed. Patient care is number one for the VNA and that shows through and through with the caring nurses and helpful office staff.
Pros
Flexibility and high quality patient care
Cons
A lot of driving involved for a home health nurse
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, OHApril 19, 2017
Working for the VNA has allowed me flexibility with my schedule and time with my patients that I can't have in a different setting. VNA of Mansfield truly cares about it's employees and the well being of their patients. My co-workers are team players and there is a feel of camaraderie.
Pros
Flexibility, Team atmosphere, opportunities for growth in career
Cons
salary is probably on the lower end of the scale
Lowest point in my career
Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 31, 2016
The mission is good but this place has been run into the ground over the last decade. The people that are left there have been in the dysfunction so long that the don't know how to function. Incredible distrust, disorganized, and a culture of backstabbing like I have NEVER seen before. It was encouraged and leadership, starting with the CEO set the example for this like nothing I have ever seen. If you want to have a career where you will work hard, be rewarded, fair treatment, and have a mistake be turned into a teachable moment than I suggest t you look elsewhere. If you want to learn how to be combative, sneaky, deal in half truths, and play one person off another all for personal gain, oh and not do much work, than by all means apply here - you will not only survive, but thrive and rise to the top.
Pros
Parking and location
Cons
Too many to list
Just say NO!
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 1, 2016
I initially loved working with the VNA, but the longer I'm there, the more I hate it. I'm now actively looking for a new job. Its a shame too, because when I started with the company, I thought I would be there for the long haul. Unfortunately things have changed so much, especially over the past 6 months or so, the current culture of things makes it impossible for me to stay. I love my patients, and some of the people I've worked with are just fantastic, that being said, it has become a very hostile place to work. It used to be that I never worked a weekend, then it was a mandatory one weekend day, where maybe I would see a few clients, so would be more like a half day. Now we are mandated to work several weekend days a month, it is a full day's case load, and are given last minute notice and absolutely no choice in the matter. If you have not specifically asked for that weekend off, they will schedule you. There is no compensatory time for working the day either, just OT, so just about every other week is a 6 day week! They are firing entire departments of support personnel, and have gotten rid of really great managers, replacing them with people who have the personalities of piranha. Staffing issues are insane, with case loads as high as 40+. They try and hire people, and in some cases before they make it out of the month long, incredibly difficult orientation, they quit!! There was a mass exodus out of the med surg department recently, and they literally don't have enough nurses to cover ongoing cases. Of course though, they continue to accept new patients, even when they  more... can't admit the ones they have. The computer system that is used is so UN user friendly its terrible. They try and cram not only learning clinical paper work down your throat, but also trying to learn the computer system in one month's time. IF someone makes it out of orientation, they get a very short precepting time, and then are thrown to the wolves. New hires are so overwhelmed, and over worked...and honestly don't know, what they don't know, so don't know how to ask for help, that if they make it that far...many quit out of sheer frustration!!! We are being told we have to see 7-8 patients a day, which considering each patient is supposed to have an hour visit time, is impossible to do and still get charting done as well as travel from place to place to see the next patient. An average visit is approximately 30 minutes, during which time it is impossible to chart on the computer and really give the patient the attention they deserve, so actual charting time is probably 20+ minutes. Then there is travel. Oh yeah, and don't forget the 100's of emails, calling doctors offices, returning patient phone calls, showing up at the patients home and they aren't home etc. All the "fun" stuff that is home care nursing. Things are so disorganized its frightening, and many cases are being desk managed which is completely unsafe for the patients, because they don't have enough nurses for the the patients they have on the roster. Oh, and did I mention that the CEO just "quit" with less then 2 weeks notice? The rats are jumping ship as fast as they can, and if this company manages not to go under before the end of 2016 its going to be a miracle. As a health care professional this would be the last place I would work, especially if I valued my license.  less
Pros
love the patients and some of my co workers
Cons
evertything OTHER then the patients and some of the co workers.
terrible terrible terrible
LPN (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 12, 2016
Please may my review prevent some unsuspecting nurse from accepting a job here! RN or LPN. Run RUN the other way im a current employee since march 16' I was in orientation with 6 nurse's total after 2 months only myself and another (a longtime homecare nurse) remain. They expect WAY too much out of their nurse's. Soo short staffed their expecting you to see 8 pts a DAY!!! your given a hr each pt which includes travel and chart time. Which simply is RIDICULOUS not to mention your pts can be 45mins-1hr away from each other. LISTEN I am NOT exaggerating RUNNN from this company if you are a nurse!!! Oh and they willpolitely let you know the Thursday of that you've been mandated to work that weekend. NOT kidding... CEO just emailed her letter of resignation 7/11/16 smh time fails me to go on just know NOTHING I wrote is an exaggeration. If you sign to work here after reading this you have no one to blame but yourself.
Pros
Not punching a clock per se..
Cons
UNSTAFFED. MANDATORY WEEKENDS RIDICULOUS PT LOAD etc...on and on
look elsewhere
clinical field staff member (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 25, 2016
This company is running itself into the ground. There is no stability or security. Meetings all day, and no problem solving at all. Management just wants their bonus while they hand out pay cuts to staff. The president and CEO backstab constantly. The patients are suffering because every area is ALWAYS short staffed. Difficult processes, unclear direction, and a punitive culture have created a revolving door for staff. And... their benefits are horrible. You can do better elsewhere.
Pros
free parking
Cons
benefits, wages, all levels of management
Run away!!!
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 17, 2016
Poor management and a punitive atmosphere have turned this company into a horrific place to work. For the last 4 or 5 years the VNA has gone downhill. The management is out of touch with what Homecare is really about. They are nonprofit but run it like a greedy company where quality is just an afterthought .The turnover is constant and quite frankly I am very concerned about the poor quality the patients are receiving. They are consistently short staffed. They forced out many of the high quality seasoned nurses to hire new ones with lessor pay. In short, don't bother. There are many smaller Homecare companies that treat their employees with respect.
Pros
Some good employees
Cons
Management, actually everything
Would look anywhere but here
sales coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 10, 2015
I found my time at Visiting Nurse to be one of the most unique work experiences in my career life. I have never seen more disorganized leadership that came up with a new way to do something and then 2 weeks change their mind and then 2 weeks later change their minds. And the sad part nothing got fixed but all it did was throw people into chaos. It was a very emotional and not because of patient care, but just with the culture, everything was crisis or there was too much backstabbing. I would highly recommend looking somewhere else where you are shown respect and when the leaders talk about it, they actually know how to show it and how to really solve a problem or make a real change. So many people leave there, you never know who is coming or going at Visiting Nurse Association. Sad because employees want to care for patients at the end of the day.
Pros
nice people to work with, free parking
Cons
bad morale, high turnover
Horrible place to work
stna (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHNovember 8, 2015
I worked several years for this company only to have my wages cut. Management is out of touch. Loyal hard working employees are treated terribly. The vna will promise you the world only to use you for their advantage.
Pros
Cons
Pay, management, and culture
Nice co workers but unstable environment
Manger (Current Employee) –  ClevelandOctober 4, 2015
My coworkers are all so nice and commmited to their work. But there are so many changes in leadership, reorganizing that no one can keep up with the new direction. The rank and file just keep plodding along knowing we are helping care for patients and families. You can set your own schedule and do not feel like you are punching a clock which is a nice perk.. Being able to do some work at home or at night is helpful for work life balance. I feel that I need to start looking around since the direction they are moving in might not be the best one for a future career in health care.
Pros
Flexibility over schedule, good mission, feel like you help others
Cons
No raises in years, revolving door in management
Treat employees poorly. No respect.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  MansfieldAugust 18, 2015
Used to be a great place to work when they treated their employees with respect. Not so much anymore. They do not give raises and hire new employees at a higher rate of pay than existing loyal employees. The only thing that matters anymore is the bottom dollar. That shouldn't be the case with a so called not for profit agency.
Pros
Can't think of any now.
Cons
Treat nurses poorly.
Good work environment with growth potential.
Risk and Disability Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 9, 2014
Good work environment with growth potential.
Allowed me to grow and expand my ideas with minimal supervision.
Pros
Work environment that fostered independence.
Cons
Frequent upper management turnovers affecting entire company.
Vna
Education and Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 6, 2012
I worked for the VNA for over 10 years. It was a good experience but am glad I no longer work there. New environment, new management and things are not going well...I do not expect this "over 100 year old company" to be in business in the next 10 years.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Visiting Nurse Association Of Ohio. Our community is ready to answer.

2.1