Visiting Nurse Service of New York

Visiting Nurse Service of New York Employee Reviews

Very little work/life balance. Punitive environment.
Licensed Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 18, 2012
I worked there in the Queens field office for 3.9 years and made several mistakes, each time being faced with a write-up and ultimately a PIP (performance improvement plan). It's an extremely punitive environment that is WAYYYY too top-heavy. There are nice little perks, such as free annual clothing allotments and the ability to "telework", whereby you can work from home. However teleworking is considered a privelege and the slightest error can cause that to be stripped away. I was warned early on that working for VNSNY can "robotize" you, and boy were they absolutely correct. You are practically MARRIED to this laptop computer and all documentation must be completed w/in 48 hrs. PLEASE!!!!! There is no way that one can carry a social work caseload of up to 200 patients, make 34 visits every month (or perhaps more depending on the situation), make follow-up calls/visits, advocate, do your own filing, and be able to complete every piece of documentation w/ 48 hrs (unless it's done in a rushed and sloppy manner). Everything is performance-based. Everything. The support is HORRIBLE, so you can make a mistake without even realizing youre making one because administration failed to advise of what NOT to do from the very beginning!!!! You literally "learn as you go". And then when you make that error, they "investigate" you which can lead to other problems. You have no choice but to rely upon your social work colleagues because the lack of support and punitive nature of management is just that prevalent. I wish I'd never left my previous job at JBFCS as the extra money was just not  more... worth it.  less
Pros
teleworking, field work, good salary/benefits
Cons
poor supervision, punitive/paranoid environment, lack of support, no union, the feeling of being watched all the time.
Chasing down people that don't want to be found. Very little assistance or feedback from supervisors.
Comprehensive Care Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2013
I worked here for about 4 months at the East 23rd St location. The concept of the position is simple enough. Encouraging clients to become self sufficient and ultimately off of welfare. Average case load 25-30, New clients have to be seen face to face on a weekly basis. Which when you are starting out with the organization, all of your clients are new. You do alot of traveling with this organization, meeting the clients at their drug treatment programs or at their residence.
The job gets chaotic when you have more than one client to meet with at "mandatory" appointments (hra appointments) at different locations, at the same time. It's obvious to the average person, that you can not be at 2 places at once. My supervisor couldn't seem to comprehend that. My supervisor's only suggestion was to seek out help from my peers. None of whom answered their phones or were ever available to assist me. Please note that in the 4 months that I was working there my team including myself was a total of 8 case managers. When I left the organization, there was a total of 4 case managers left. Theres a reason why probation is 6 months long. The turnover rate is that high.
I cannot speak for the other departments of VNS, just for the comprehensive care management portion. And that area is truly a mess from my experience.
Pros
monthly metrocard, flexible schedule
Cons
lack of lunch breaks, high turnover, shared desk space, no room for advancement, lack of supervision, tedious paperwork.
I had a flexible schedule which worked well with my kids at the time because of there ages.
Registered Nurse/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Webster, NYMarch 25, 2014
I worked mainly with the Long term care program, managing 40 patient's care in a home setting. In the past year with changes in insurances, typically medicaid, Long term care is being phased out because of the Medicaid's changed to Manged Long Term Care in Home health. During my 4 years I also provided Medication and diabetic management with patient's. Various types of wound care. Assisted with the Cardiac teams patient's load as well the CHAA division of the agency. I provided assessment/ Recertification of patient's. I provided Start of Care visits as well as Resumption of Care visits.
I was let go from VNS on 3/17, as I stated earlier my Team is being phased out. I feel because of my experience is primarily in home care, I feel it is best for me to obtain a med surgical entry level RN position to begin to broaden my experience as a RN
Pros
m-f schedule 8-5, no weekends
Cons
becoming lax in skills that you would use in a hospital setting that are not required in home care
Not the best job culture or team building atmosphere to work in
Temporary Member Service Rep (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2015
I worked as temp in the New York, NY office and the experience was not friendly. Staff were not welcoming and are not the best at training new staff. Management are partial and did not have a desk or username/log in available to work efficiently for my first month. While management knew, I had to retrieve my own empty desk to work at along with my username and log in for the systems used/needed to assist in-coming callers. I have never worked at an organization that was so unprofessional, unorganized, and with such a low morale. This is not a friendly atmosphere that promotes team building. I would not recommend working at this location as a temp. Unless you choose to be part of the high turnover rate and be treated unequal while you witness others outside of your nationality not experience what your experiencing. Too much to inequality to endure for the rate of pay offered to a temp.
Pros
Learned what it takes to retrieve my username & passwords for systems used
Cons
Low team morale
Physically challenging, mentally rewarding
Maternal-Child Public Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2014
I typically see 4-7 patients a day in their homes. I carry a caseload of approximately 25-35 patients and coordinate services including nursing, rehabilitation, nutrition, and social work. I also provide clinical assessment and skilled nursing care. The hardest part of the job is the physical aspect of going house to house via public transportation with a large amount of supplies. The job, however, is very rewarding. Our patient population is medically complex and I am regularly challenged to explore alternative ways to meet their needs. I have seen vastly different living situations and family dynamics working in East Harlem. I have learned that despite these differences, we all have the same basic needs and deserve compassionate and skilled care. Although much of my day is working independently, I am connected with my manager and feel supported by my colleagues should a situation arise where I need additional input.
Pros
patient diversity
Cons
physical demands
I would recommend anyone to apply to Visiting Nurse Service of NY
Business Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 24, 2014
A typical day at work is setting your goals to attain doctors signatures from services renders to patients by any of the worker like nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, home health aids and social workers. Once generated documents attain signature then you update it in the computer system. You do as much as you can in a day.

I learned how much work goes into taking care of patients behind the scenes.

Management team kept us on our feet whether I liked or not. They did a decent job.

My co-workers were resourceful but sometimes a distraction.

The hardest part of the job was reaching out to different doctors offices and establishing a relationship with them because sometimes they were so unprofessional.

The most enjoyable part was attaining a signature for a high value case and communicating with patients.
Pros
understanding how much you contributed to a patients care
Cons
when company has job cuts
My experience with VNSNY
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2015
My experience at the VNSNY/CCC dept. have been good, it can get really busy. At CCC/Customer care Center is a telework position which is great! I don't mind working from home, but you must be trained for a few months at our regional office in Manhattan before being sent home. Our management can be pretty tough but you just have to take the punches at times. We at VNSNY work as a team, the hardest part of being a CSR is the schedule changes every few months, and difficult callers and can be very overwhelming, and you must be flexable, we even work weekends not so great when you have kids. It will be great to be more appreciated by our management for hard work , and most of the times CSR don't get that as much as we should its almost like they don't really care about any issues in our personal lives which I do get but just some consideration would be nice.
Pros
benefits, telework
Cons
schedules, careless and not being able to pick yout own vacation time.
Great if you like healthcare
Member Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 8, 2013
Great place to work if you have a degree in your desired field. The office staff do not get treated fairly in the Brooklyn CHOICE department. Managers are not keen on advancement within the company.

I have been working with this company for 5 years in the same position due to office favoritism. If your comfortable with boasting the department managers moral you'll succeed if not you will be stuck in the same position.

Employees are friendly to one another. But at times being a MSR is very demanding and you might question is all of your work really worth it. You must be able to multi task which will include answering calls non stop and handling your daily clerical task for your assigned team. As well as assisting clinicians and managers whenever they ask for help.

The most enjoyable part is the benefits and vacation time you acquire after just 6 months! Use it!
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
no room for advancement
Great team work
Community Mental Health RN (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 22, 2012
The VNS respected all members opinions, good benefits and salary.
A typical day would be scheduled by ACT supervisor, assigning each team (2 members) to make home visits to the SPMI, providing availability of all disciplines on a rotating basis. I poured meds, once a week, for self-administration, IM's, med/health education, psycho-social groups, using psych rehab skills. This was my most satisfying position, professionally. We had fun with our clients, while teaching social skills, independent living skills and much more. I received 2 ABCD awards (Above and Beyond the Call of Duty) for Excellence in Patient Focused Care and Excellence inthe Field of Nursing. This company recognizes and rewards hard work. Probably one of the best NY companies to be affiliated. If the commute wasn't pushing 4 hrs. to return home, I never would have left.
Pros
respect for each discipline, flexibility and resonable work expectations.
Productive fun workplace
Caseworker/Financial Investigator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 4, 2015
3 days a week out in the field making home visits to assist members with documents needed for Medicaid Applications and bringing Medicaid application down to 34th street Medicaid office to be process timely and 2 days a week in the office reviewing and assisting members over the phone regarding what documents are needed for scheduled pick up date. I learned how to travel within the Borough of the Bronx NY. Management was fair with caseload and willing to send you to classes for training to keep you educated & updated with the different changes within Medicaid guidelines. Co-works were team players and family oriented. The hardest part of the job is not knowing if you were safe going into member's homes. Most enjoyable was working in the Borough that you lived in it felt like you were giving back to your community.
Pros
Reimbursement for traveling expenses
Cons
no overtime
Once had High standards and great with employee satisfaction but no more
Customer Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 8, 2014
Apparently there were some bad guidance within the company for the company to lose millions of dollars and because of that they are no longer dedicated to their patients and their employees . massive lay off over and over and also now when patients call its like calling AT&T or Verizon or Apple no more personalize interaction with patients where the person use to know the patients calling and attend to their needs. I am so scared for us as employees I know many of us are now job hunting before we also get that pink slip. I see many great and committed works got lay off in October and again this week. I am not sure in what directing Visiting Nurse Service of New York is going but a lot of us no longer want to be on this sinking ship
Pros
was great with benifits and home life balance
Cons
no longer showcommittment to patiens and employees
Work Environment
Care Manager/Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2013
Typical day at work include multiple phone calls to members, doctors and members of the interdisciplinary team. At times, I made visits to members home and at times, I worked from the office. I definitely learned how to prioritize tasks and how to stay organized. My coworkers often called me to inquire about how to navigate the computer or general information related in Medicaid and Medicare guidelines because of my past experiences in dealing with them. The hardest part of my job is the frequent company changes and meetings that prohibit myself from managing cases. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction you receive from patient and doctors letting you know how much their lives have change because of hardwork.
Pros
ability to work from home
Cons
job security and not being able to participate in up mobility within the company.
I miss my friends
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 15, 2015
I met wonderful people who work/worked for VNSNY. I also learned and was taught how to be a good administrative assistant by the head of VNS Choice. Best boss I ever had.
What was wrong with VNSNY is that there was no loyalty to me or anyone else at VNSNY. There never is any loyalty and that is a shame. Especially those of us who worked so hard for so many years. The management from the top has changed and it's not the same place it used to be. It was a pleasure working there from 2001 when I started and then around 2007 it started to change. It's gone down hill from there. Massive lay offs and a lack of loyalty to it's employees. It used to be a wonderful place. There old logo was "We Bring the Caring Home". I miss that...
Pros
Good benefits, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Bad pay, no raises unless you fight for one (3% a year), No loyalty to employees
My thoughts about VNS
Administrative Assistance / Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 16, 2015
During my time at Visiting Services of New York, I was able to multitask through different assignments that were given. However I maintain my professionalism even when buttons were pushed with supervisors who had a hard day. I excel and learn more working with software and hardware equipment and a lot of procurement tracking and receiving hardware and software for employees. At times I shipped many computers and laptops to other offices. I would be the one who ordered supplies for the department and their different locations. Working for multiple people is a challenge to me and for me, where I can utilize every great detail of my working experience to a new Company.
Pros
Nice envirnoment
Cons
Higher Executives need people skills along with having etiquette manners
Variety of tasks, ability to establish relationships with elderly clients, ability to interact with Physicans, medical insurance inspectors
Clerk Typist III (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 23, 2012
Each morning I would:
1. Set schedules for Nurses, Physical & Occupational Therapist, CNA's and Home Health Aides
2. Listen to all messages left after office had closed which were requests for admission to program, schedule changes, end of life notifications, medication changes, etc. and took appropriate follow up action
3. Complete all filing and create new folders for incoming patients
4. Provided clerical support as requested (photo copying, faxing, filing, receptionist,call directory operator relief)
Pros
various responsibilites, required little supervision, ability to interact with people
Cons
was a contract agency with the city
It is a good place to work. it provided me a work experience with manage long tern care.
Visiting Nurse Service of New York (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2014
A typical day at work consist of continuous assessment of all my case load/ patient coordinating their needs in the community as well as their health needs. Either on a field visit or in the office. Coordination with all the disciplines (MD, PT, SW) involve in the health care of my members. There is a good rapport with management and co-employees. The hardest part is there is too much case load per individual, some duplication in the encoding of same data in another form, covering for a nurse who is sick / on vacation ,coordinating with the other programs within VNSNY.
The most enjoyable part are my co employees are very helpful, supportive and caring, we get along well.
Provides good upward mobility job opportunities
Social Work Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 1, 2013
Your day began at home; on the telephone, making appointments, referrals, doing research, coordinating with other disciplines. Meanwhile doing managed care and MD reports, entering coordination notes, making client schedule on tablet and completing reports from previous visits. In addition to being bombarded with telephone calls from the office and other disciplines. After about 3 hours you head out to the field to visit 4-5 patients per day - which can be anywhere from 1 to 25 miles apart;a visit can be from fortyfive minuites to 2 hours. Then return home to attempt to complete case notes and reports.
Pros
flexibility of work hours.
Cons
inability to find a good balance between work and family life.
Amazing Job and Company
Licensed Nurse Assistant, LNA (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHMay 2, 2013
In home care has to be the most rewarding job. You get to help people stay at home with their families and not feel like they are being cast away and forgotten. You learn so much from the patients and see how routine their lives have become over the years. The hardest part of this job that I found was one day I had to take care of a woman who did not speak English well. But the most enjoyable part of the job is that still after years of not being an LNA I can look back and know that not only did I hopefully change and make their lives better but they changed me and made me a better person. Management is wonderful and always willing to work with you and help in any way they can.
Pros
people, pay, management
Intensive Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2014
My day at work is mostly in thew field. Learned more about the mentally ill than can be found in any book. Management was friendly, they had an open door policy I could talk to my Supervisor or the Program Director at any time if they weren't busy, and speak to them later if they were busy. My co-workers were extremely helpful, such in helping me with a problem I might have, offering advice when my supervisor or other senior management were not available. Nothing was really that hard that's worth mentioning. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I was working ti improving the lives of the client's I worked with.
Pros
caring supervisor and program director.
Cons
few raises in salary.
ENJOYABLE AND COMFORTABLE ATM
SR P.T. (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2014
Ability to work well as part of a team
Good organizational and administrative skills
Fluency in various Indian language and Spanish and, Urdu
Fast learner, focused and excellent communication and guest relation skills; ability to work efficiently under pressure.
Ability to multi-task effectively with excellent attention to detail
Knowledge about computers software & programming events
Statistical Analysis Software: SPSS, SigmaPlot
Software Packages: Spike, Matlab, Microsoft Office Suite
Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows, XP, Mac
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, graphics
Pros
supportive staff, gud lenig atm
Cons
rough weather, case load