Visiting Nurse Service of New York

Visiting Nurse Service of New York Employee Reviews in United States

Overworked, under-appreciated, penalistic environment
Acute Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 23, 2016
VNS was okay to work for at first. The workload was always heavy but we made the best of it. In the last 3 years, however management has shifted their focus to be more harrassing than usual and the big stick mentality is constant.

Your cases keep increasing and you cannot even get to see patients on schedule. They care more about numbers, spending millions on ridiculous dashboards while laying off essential staff and downsizing a 3 floor office space down to a 4 room corner box.

This company does not care about their patients and less so the workers. Most managers have resigned so you work without supervision. You cannot even reach them via phone.

Move along if you wish to provide safe patient care and maintain your sanity or integrity. This is not a good place to work.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Constant pressure, excessive cases, no personal life balance
Not an easy road
Family Counselor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rockaway Beach, NYMay 3, 2016
This job sounded wonderful but when it came down to it, it was pushy people that if they didn't like your work this when you were not in their church
Pros
closer to home
Cons
closer to home
I Loved working at VNSNY
Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 7, 2016
I was layed off more than 2 years ago and still miss the work life balance. I would work there again at the first chance i get.
Productive workplace
Caseworker/Financial Investigator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 13, 2016
Field work three times a week in the office for 2 days a week. I learned to be a caseworker by fieldwork training being out in the field. Management staff was very concern about sending employees to classes so they can continue to exceed in their position, Co workers worked as a team so we can assist members who needed homecare services. The hardest part was convincing elderly members when it came to documents needed for healthcare but over all they come around and are please with the services VNS has provided.
Pros
Pays for education
Cons
Pay rate is low
Productive place to work
Contracted Provider Claims Coordinator/Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2016
VNSNY is a great place to work. The benefits are awesome and my colleagues are wonderful. The hours are comfortable too.
Benefits
Cons
Manager need more training in ethics and cultural diversity.
Company managed by consultants
Enrollment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 17, 2016
Company does not value and invest in its employees. Management let great talent walk out the door. Many talented individuals were forced to leave. People that are there are not recognized and developed. No opportunity for growth due to politics. Very political organization. Not based on what you do but who you know.
Cons
No organizational stability
too demanding. "top" heavy company
Public Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2016
Love the patient care and day to day dealings with patients. don't care for the numerous managers, lack of communication to staff. great co-workers!
Best company to work for as a nurse
Manager Customer Care Center Telephone Triage (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2016
I loved my job.Never called out sick, never late. I look forward to every night going on duty. Always signed on an hour early to see how the flow was going and check all emails before starting. Sometimes back flow from evening was a little hectic but then slowed down. Learned to listen carefully to what patients did not say to clue me in to their problem. Management as per my clinical instructor was very good. Received good advise. My co workers were the best. Assisting with Hospice calls and translating spanish calls for the Manager on duty was stressfull, or pt that were lonely and just wanted someone to speak to at night, which I would stay on the phone and speak to them. Most enjoyable when pt was so sad and at end of conversation would tell me I made their day brighter, I would keep their phone and call them few days later to check up on them. I spoke to my coordinator about the need to call our clients to check up on them, which we implemented. Worst day of my life when I retired.. My Dad was very sick I had to be there for him, he died 11/15. Now I am looking forward to giving to my clients what I learned caring for him and my step mom. My understanding for the care patients with dementia and progressive alzheimers need is very difficult. Want to give back for all I have learned, patience, love for nursing them back to an acceptable way of life with dignity, making sure no one hurts them emotional or bodily.
Pros
Able to work from home
Cons
Traveling into the city on snowy days
nice people to work with
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
lots of transition, good for someone who likes to work in the field and likes the change.
A lot of employees left due to the increase in the caseloads but not in pay.
There are no annual bonuses any more.
Caseloads increased from around 25 to 40/50 and more
Pros
monthly metro card
Cons
large caseload
Great company to work for.
Hospice Admission Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 26, 2015
Productive and supportive hospice team with excellent management, time consuming travel however, interesting and self-fulfilling during patient and family encounter. Provides great learning experience.
I miss my friends
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 15, 2015
I met wonderful people who work/worked for VNSNY. I also learned and was taught how to be a good administrative assistant by the head of VNS Choice. Best boss I ever had.
What was wrong with VNSNY is that there was no loyalty to me or anyone else at VNSNY. There never is any loyalty and that is a shame. Especially those of us who worked so hard for so many years. The management from the top has changed and it's not the same place it used to be. It was a pleasure working there from 2001 when I started and then around 2007 it started to change. It's gone down hill from there. Massive lay offs and a lack of loyalty to it's employees. It used to be a wonderful place. There old logo was "We Bring the Caring Home". I miss that...
Pros
Good benefits, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Bad pay, no raises unless you fight for one (3% a year), No loyalty to employees
Unstable company
Assessment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 9, 2015
Big company lots of challenges. No structure. will like to work where there is more structure. Company has good benefits
Benefits
Cons
Not structred
Payroll
Payroll Coordinator/AP Specialist (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 9, 2015
Does very good with payroll and any other task ask to do.
Does great job with AR.
Always takes on other task to help other.
Fills in when other are on vacation.
Cons
Job security with company Turn over with upper mgmt.
Productive fun workplace
Caseworker/Financial Investigator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 4, 2015
3 days a week out in the field making home visits to assist members with documents needed for Medicaid Applications and bringing Medicaid application down to 34th street Medicaid office to be process timely and 2 days a week in the office reviewing and assisting members over the phone regarding what documents are needed for scheduled pick up date. I learned how to travel within the Borough of the Bronx NY. Management was fair with caseload and willing to send you to classes for training to keep you educated & updated with the different changes within Medicaid guidelines. Co-works were team players and family oriented. The hardest part of the job is not knowing if you were safe going into member's homes. Most enjoyable was working in the Borough that you lived in it felt like you were giving back to your community.
Pros
Reimbursement for traveling expenses
Cons
no overtime
VNS is a great nursing company in New York city
Medical Interpreter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2015
Working as one of the medical interpreter in VNS is such a great experience. It really help me to became a better communicator and team player
Pros
flexible schedule
It would be an enjoyable enviroment If management would treat the employees fairly.
Financial Investigator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2015
It is a very busy enviroment which I am use to working in, I love to be busy and the cases vary from time to time, not all the cases are the same. As far as management if they would take time to listen to the employees and not try to personalize everything it would be a pleasant place to be, and they would get alot of productivity done. .
Educational experience
EXTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 22, 2015
Professional atmosphere with genuinely concerned nurse. An overall excellent learning opportunity which increased my compassion for the ill client.
Pros
Flexible schedule
One of best places to work
Staff Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 21, 2015
Working with older population is such a different experience, encouraging them everyday to perform exercises, being safe from fall and improving their quality of life.
Pros
Less traveling
Cons
Traffic and tolls
productive work environment
Family Advocate (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 11, 2015
Answer calls from Lifeline and visit families in crisis, I learned that that a worker needs to have love and compassion for there line of work and clients. Management team needs to improve in there communication with staff and work ethics. There was no team work with the staff. The hardest part is to try to work in an environment with no team work and unity.I love to help families reach their goals.
Pros
late hours of work
Cons
little time of luch
Productive and fun to work.
Record Control Processor (Legal Department) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 6, 2015
Enjoyed working there for eleven years --- would have liked to retire from there, but things happen (changes downing sizing). The people I worked with were great both internal and external - Law Firms, Patients, etc. -- loved the challenges.