Visiting Nurse Service of New York

Visiting Nurse Service of New York Employee Reviews

Workspace Culture
Social Work Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 14, 2016
The workspace can be very stressful and exclusive if you are a male worker. In an environment dominated by women it is very difficult for a man or young man to be comfortable in the workspace. Some workers are very exclusive, and many, blur the lines of the professional and personal relationships that they have in the work environment. Many staff members have inappropriate private conversation in the open that deal with very sensitive topics geared to bashing gender or demonizing clients for there problems. If you enjoy social work or helping those in need this is the career for you, however, you have to be comfortable to working in a high school mindset style work environment.
Pros
flexible schedule, community advocacy, on job certification
Cons
stressful and unhealthly work enviroment
Awful place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 17, 2016
They made me an incorrect offer and told me to trust them as they couldn't get it in writing for a couple days. So I put notice in at my current position and then they rescinded the offer the next day because I accepted an offer that was incorrect. I guess I wouldn't want to work there if that's how they are anyways.
No longer a happy place to work .
Public Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Westchester County, NYJuly 1, 2016
VNSNY used to be a great place to work-But inow there is a hostile working environment ,no management support, poor problem solving skills from managers.
I have been a Public Health nurse for 20 plus years and still enjoy seeing patients at home but this agency had made it more difficult for us to casemanage safely and efficiently . The nurses and rehab group that i worked with are awesome !
Pros
Medical benefits, pension plan, salary
Cons
Increased traveling, not geographically compact.
typical duties
LPN Field Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 17, 2016
driving from visit to visit. if you don't like driving around and dealing with the public this will not be for you. you. wont have a set area, you could be driving all over the borough.
Pros
union, tuition reinbursment, room for growth
Educational environment. I have learned so much working here and have grown alot. I enjoyed working as a Public Health Nurse.
Coordinator of Care (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 22, 2016
Overworked, under-appreciated, penalistic environment
Acute Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 23, 2016
VNS was okay to work for at first. The workload was always heavy but we made the best of it. In the last 3 years, however management has shifted their focus to be more harrassing than usual and the big stick mentality is constant.

Your cases keep increasing and you cannot even get to see patients on schedule. They care more about numbers, spending millions on ridiculous dashboards while laying off essential staff and downsizing a 3 floor office space down to a 4 room corner box.

This company does not care about their patients and less so the workers. Most managers have resigned so you work without supervision. You cannot even reach them via phone.

Move along if you wish to provide safe patient care and maintain your sanity or integrity. This is not a good place to work.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Constant pressure, excessive cases, no personal life balance
Productive Place to work
Business/Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2016
Got a lot to learn. Very fast paced environment. Proper work life balance. Great location and great benefits. Great communication channels between cross functional teams.
Productive workplace
Caseworker/Financial Investigator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 13, 2016
Field work three times a week in the office for 2 days a week. I learned to be a caseworker by fieldwork training being out in the field. Management staff was very concern about sending employees to classes so they can continue to exceed in their position, Co workers worked as a team so we can assist members who needed homecare services. The hardest part was convincing elderly members when it came to documents needed for healthcare but over all they come around and are please with the services VNS has provided.
Pros
Pays for education
Cons
Pay rate is low
Company managed by consultants
Enrollment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 17, 2016
Company does not value and invest in its employees. Management let great talent walk out the door. Many talented individuals were forced to leave. People that are there are not recognized and developed. No opportunity for growth due to politics. Very political organization. Not based on what you do but who you know.
Cons
No organizational stability
Not A Great Place
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2016
The employees were rude I was offered a work study assignment from my school to work here. I would walk into the office and there would be no work available I would have to ask around if there something to do to make the day go by quicker.
Pros
NONE
Cons
NONE
Not an easy road
Family Counselor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rockaway Beach, NYMay 3, 2016
This job sounded wonderful but when it came down to it, it was pushy people that if they didn't like your work this when you were not in their church
Pros
closer to home
Cons
closer to home
Productive place to work
Contracted Provider Claims Coordinator/Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2016
VNSNY is a great place to work. The benefits are awesome and my colleagues are wonderful. The hours are comfortable too.
Benefits
Cons
Manager need more training in ethics and cultural diversity.
nice people to work with
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
lots of transition, good for someone who likes to work in the field and likes the change.
A lot of employees left due to the increase in the caseloads but not in pay.
There are no annual bonuses any more.
Caseloads increased from around 25 to 40/50 and more
Pros
monthly metro card
Cons
large caseload
I miss my friends
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 15, 2015
I met wonderful people who work/worked for VNSNY. I also learned and was taught how to be a good administrative assistant by the head of VNS Choice. Best boss I ever had.
What was wrong with VNSNY is that there was no loyalty to me or anyone else at VNSNY. There never is any loyalty and that is a shame. Especially those of us who worked so hard for so many years. The management from the top has changed and it's not the same place it used to be. It was a pleasure working there from 2001 when I started and then around 2007 it started to change. It's gone down hill from there. Massive lay offs and a lack of loyalty to it's employees. It used to be a wonderful place. There old logo was "We Bring the Caring Home". I miss that...
Pros
Good benefits, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Bad pay, no raises unless you fight for one (3% a year), No loyalty to employees
I Loved working at VNSNY
Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 7, 2016
I was layed off more than 2 years ago and still miss the work life balance. I would work there again at the first chance i get.
It would be an enjoyable enviroment If management would treat the employees fairly.
Financial Investigator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2015
It is a very busy enviroment which I am use to working in, I love to be busy and the cases vary from time to time, not all the cases are the same. As far as management if they would take time to listen to the employees and not try to personalize everything it would be a pleasant place to be, and they would get alot of productivity done. .
Productive fun workplace
Caseworker/Financial Investigator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 4, 2015
3 days a week out in the field making home visits to assist members with documents needed for Medicaid Applications and bringing Medicaid application down to 34th street Medicaid office to be process timely and 2 days a week in the office reviewing and assisting members over the phone regarding what documents are needed for scheduled pick up date. I learned how to travel within the Borough of the Bronx NY. Management was fair with caseload and willing to send you to classes for training to keep you educated & updated with the different changes within Medicaid guidelines. Co-works were team players and family oriented. The hardest part of the job is not knowing if you were safe going into member's homes. Most enjoyable was working in the Borough that you lived in it felt like you were giving back to your community.
Pros
Reimbursement for traveling expenses
Cons
no overtime
productive work environment
Family Advocate (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 11, 2015
Answer calls from Lifeline and visit families in crisis, I learned that that a worker needs to have love and compassion for there line of work and clients. Management team needs to improve in there communication with staff and work ethics. There was no team work with the staff. The hardest part is to try to work in an environment with no team work and unity.I love to help families reach their goals.
Pros
late hours of work
Cons
little time of luch
Used to be a great place to work
Care Management Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 2, 2015
Since 2013 we have been experiencing lay-off. Most nurses treat the office staff like they are below them. This used to be a great place to work. Departments that are supposed to work interdependently do not communicate. Workflows are jacked up. Its a mess. How do you centralize a dept in a not so central location, SHEEPSHEAD BAY, Brooklyn really????? Why not find cheap rent in a different Manhattan location.
too demanding. "top" heavy company
Public Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2016
Love the patient care and day to day dealings with patients. don't care for the numerous managers, lack of communication to staff. great co-workers!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Visiting Nurse Service of New York. Our community is ready to answer.