Visiting Nurse Service of New York Employee Reviews

fast paced
Translator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2017
Having to help the patients and nurses
Making sure the nurses has all supplies before leaving the office
listening to the patients concerns
helping the nurse as much as possible
Pros
helping out the elderly
Cons
walking long blocks
Supportive
Family Counselor/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Rockaway Beach, NYApril 20, 2017
This was a very supportive and productive work environment. Management worked closely with staff. Staff undergo training to become which enable them to beeffective
Public Health Nurse
Public Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 7, 2017
Work life balance-difficult to find a balance workload varies and is ever changing no set expectation- get the job done at all cost
Caseload-ridiculously heavy at times/manageable on other days
Compensation-good
Benefits-good
Job security- good
Supervision- difficulty to reach and inconsistent
Large homecare agency; education and learning opportunities are endless and online; have to be self motivated to thrive in this environment; company has room to promote and climb the ladder if interested; resources available must be able to use them to advantage; autonomous position good place to work despite all the disadvantages.
Pros
Benefits, compensation, job security, room to grow as a clinician
Cons
Difficult to balance work/life, heavy caseload, assignments are heavy, documentation timeliness
Great experience
Student Nurse Scholar (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2017
While working at the Visiting Nurse Service of New York, I was able to experience many different walks of life which made this job so intriguing to me.
A very busy work place.
Supervisor of Business operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2017
Great place to work in. Very busy place in which we multi-task a lot. A great place to learn new skills and apply your skills. The workplace has gone through a lot of changes.
Good benefits but very exhaustive
Physical Therapist PB (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 27, 2017
Excellent training, good perks but very exhausting physically and fast paced. The company is very good and trains you very well and provides you with all the gadgets but I was drained at the end of the day. I was doing lot of documentation at home to keep up with the work pace esp because I'm internationally trained PT. It is quite a challenge but may get easier with time and practice.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
very fast paced
Family owned business with owners and family all working in business.
Patient Community Liaison (Former Employee) –  New Haven CountyDecember 19, 2016
Worked here for 4 years and built my reputation in the industry by providing good customer service and working within the senior community. This job afforded me the opportunity to work with Totalcare and continue with my relationships in the industry.
Pros
Stepping stone to advancement to a better position in the industry
Cons
Family owned and operated
Workspace Culture
Social Work Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 14, 2016
The workspace can be very stressful and exclusive if you are a male worker. In an environment dominated by women it is very difficult for a man or young man to be comfortable in the workspace. Some workers are very exclusive, and many, blur the lines of the professional and personal relationships that they have in the work environment. Many staff members have inappropriate private conversation in the open that deal with very sensitive topics geared to bashing gender or demonizing clients for there problems. If you enjoy social work or helping those in need this is the career for you, however, you have to be comfortable to working in a high school mindset style work environment.
Pros
flexible schedule, community advocacy, on job certification
Cons
stressful and unhealthly work enviroment
typical duties
LPN Field Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 17, 2016
driving from visit to visit. if you don't like driving around and dealing with the public this will not be for you. you. wont have a set area, you could be driving all over the borough.
Pros
union, tuition reinbursment, room for growth
Educational environment. I have learned so much working here and have grown alot. I enjoyed working as a Public Health Nurse.
Coordinator of Care (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 22, 2016
Awful place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 17, 2016
They made me an incorrect offer and told me to trust them as they couldn't get it in writing for a couple days. So I put notice in at my current position and then they rescinded the offer the next day because I accepted an offer that was incorrect. I guess I wouldn't want to work there if that's how they are anyways.
Productive Place to work
Business/Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2016
Got a lot to learn. Very fast paced environment. Proper work life balance. Great location and great benefits. Great communication channels between cross functional teams.
No longer a happy place to work .
Public Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Westchester County, NYJuly 1, 2016
VNSNY used to be a great place to work-But inow there is a hostile working environment ,no management support, poor problem solving skills from managers.
I have been a Public Health nurse for 20 plus years and still enjoy seeing patients at home but this agency had made it more difficult for us to casemanage safely and efficiently . The nurses and rehab group that i worked with are awesome !
Pros
Medical benefits, pension plan, salary
Cons
Increased traveling, not geographically compact.
Used to be a wonderful place....Not now
Public Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  westchester/NYCJune 14, 2016
I have worked for this company for more than a decade, it was a wonderful company but sadly at this time the current management, especially in Westchester and the Bronx is HORRIBLE, it has sunken to the depths of a DRACONIAN ERA where backstabbing and witch-hunts of the dedicated staff that has been there for 10-25 years is under attack. Especially the Westchester management team, the 2 managers here are basically incompetent and they want to micro-manage the nurses to prove they are doing their jobs, but honestly they are destroying the efficiency of the nurses and they are horrible managers, sadly they used to be nurses in the organization and have lost perspective. The salary and benefits are excellent, but if you want to be worked to death for money that is a personal question. The Manhattan division is still run OK - but there is not the opportunity to make the money that there used to be in the company. There is UFT UNION representation for the nurses and they do a wonderful job, but it is definitely an exhausting place to work these days. The benefits through the UFT union are wonderful, full paid medical/dental for the entire family just for union dues, no employee contributions. And a pension managed by the UFT fund.
Pros
great benefits, Uft union, competitive pay
Cons
Horrible managment
Overworked, under-appreciated, penalistic environment
Acute Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 23, 2016
VNS was okay to work for at first. The workload was always heavy but we made the best of it. In the last 3 years, however management has shifted their focus to be more harrassing than usual and the big stick mentality is constant.

Your cases keep increasing and you cannot even get to see patients on schedule. They care more about numbers, spending millions on ridiculous dashboards while laying off essential staff and downsizing a 3 floor office space down to a 4 room corner box.

This company does not care about their patients and less so the workers. Most managers have resigned so you work without supervision. You cannot even reach them via phone.

Move along if you wish to provide safe patient care and maintain your sanity or integrity. This is not a good place to work.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Constant pressure, excessive cases, no personal life balance
Not an easy road
Family Counselor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rockaway Beach, NYMay 3, 2016
This job sounded wonderful but when it came down to it, it was pushy people that if they didn't like your work this when you were not in their church
Pros
closer to home
Cons
closer to home
I Loved working at VNSNY
Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 7, 2016
I was layed off more than 2 years ago and still miss the work life balance. I would work there again at the first chance i get.
Not A Great Place
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2016
The employees were rude I was offered a work study assignment from my school to work here. I would walk into the office and there would be no work available I would have to ask around if there something to do to make the day go by quicker.
Productive workplace
Caseworker/Financial Investigator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 13, 2016
Field work three times a week in the office for 2 days a week. I learned to be a caseworker by fieldwork training being out in the field. Management staff was very concern about sending employees to classes so they can continue to exceed in their position, Co workers worked as a team so we can assist members who needed homecare services. The hardest part was convincing elderly members when it came to documents needed for healthcare but over all they come around and are please with the services VNS has provided.
Pros
Pays for education
Cons
Pay rate is low
Productive place to work
Contracted Provider Claims Coordinator/Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2016
VNSNY is a great place to work. The benefits are awesome and my colleagues are wonderful. The hours are comfortable too.
Benefits
Cons
Manager need more training in ethics and cultural diversity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Visiting Nurse Service of New York. Our community is ready to answer.

Visiting Nurse Service of New York Reviews by Location