Visiting Nurse Service of New York

Visiting Nurse Service of New York Employee Reviews in United States

I miss my friends
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 15, 2015
I met wonderful people who work/worked for VNSNY. I also learned and was taught how to be a good administrative assistant by the head of VNS Choice. Best boss I ever had.
What was wrong with VNSNY is that there was no loyalty to me or anyone else at VNSNY. There never is any loyalty and that is a shame. Especially those of us who worked so hard for so many years. The management from the top has changed and it's not the same place it used to be. It was a pleasure working there from 2001 when I started and then around 2007 it started to change. It's gone down hill from there. Massive lay offs and a lack of loyalty to it's employees. It used to be a wonderful place. There old logo was "We Bring the Caring Home". I miss that...
Pros
Good benefits, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Bad pay, no raises unless you fight for one (3% a year), No loyalty to employees
Productive place to work
Contracted Provider Claims Coordinator/Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2016
VNSNY is a great place to work. The benefits are awesome and my colleagues are wonderful. The hours are comfortable too.
Benefits
Cons
Manager need more training in ethics and cultural diversity.
Unstable company
Assessment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 9, 2015
Big company lots of challenges. No structure. will like to work where there is more structure. Company has good benefits
Benefits
Cons
Not structred
Good Salary, Terrible Environment
Lead Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 5, 2015
Staff is micro-managed. Inconsistent scheduling.
Pay is great and so are the benefits.
Management is inexperienced on call handing. Offered little to no assistance.
Productive workplace
Caseworker/Financial Investigator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 13, 2016
Field work three times a week in the office for 2 days a week. I learned to be a caseworker by fieldwork training being out in the field. Management staff was very concern about sending employees to classes so they can continue to exceed in their position, Co workers worked as a team so we can assist members who needed homecare services. The hardest part was convincing elderly members when it came to documents needed for healthcare but over all they come around and are please with the services VNS has provided.
Pros
Pays for education
Cons
Pay rate is low
Great company to work for if you are highly organized and type-A personality
Public Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 29, 2015
VNSNY can be what you want it to be. It can very challenging environment to work if you have a lot of family or other obligations. However, if you enjoy a fast-paced work environment VNSNY is for you.
My experience with VNSNY
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2015
My experience at the VNSNY/CCC dept. have been good, it can get really busy. At CCC/Customer care Center is a telework position which is great! I don't mind working from home, but you must be trained for a few months at our regional office in Manhattan before being sent home. Our management can be pretty tough but you just have to take the punches at times. We at VNSNY work as a team, the hardest part of being a CSR is the schedule changes every few months, and difficult callers and can be very overwhelming, and you must be flexable, we even work weekends not so great when you have kids. It will be great to be more appreciated by our management for hard work , and most of the times CSR don't get that as much as we should its almost like they don't really care about any issues in our personal lives which I do get but just some consideration would be nice.
Pros
benefits, telework
Cons
schedules, careless and not being able to pick yout own vacation time.
Overworked, under-appreciated, penalistic environment
Acute Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 23, 2016
VNS was okay to work for at first. The workload was always heavy but we made the best of it. In the last 3 years, however management has shifted their focus to be more harrassing than usual and the big stick mentality is constant.

Your cases keep increasing and you cannot even get to see patients on schedule. They care more about numbers, spending millions on ridiculous dashboards while laying off essential staff and downsizing a 3 floor office space down to a 4 room corner box.

This company does not care about their patients and less so the workers. Most managers have resigned so you work without supervision. You cannot even reach them via phone.

Move along if you wish to provide safe patient care and maintain your sanity or integrity. This is not a good place to work.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Constant pressure, excessive cases, no personal life balance
Company managed by consultants
Enrollment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 17, 2016
Company does not value and invest in its employees. Management let great talent walk out the door. Many talented individuals were forced to leave. People that are there are not recognized and developed. No opportunity for growth due to politics. Very political organization. Not based on what you do but who you know.
Cons
No organizational stability
Manager Provider Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2015
VNSNY is an excellent company to work for. They offer excellent benefits and invest a lot of resources into developing and improving their employees .
Pros
Great benfits
Cons
Salry

Want to know more about Visiting Nurse Service of New York?

Ask a question
reputable place
mid level (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2015
good for your resume. decent amount of time off, no major micromanagement. high overturn, especially with leadership. internet connections always slow.
Pros
decent work life
Cons
no significant salary increase
Productive fun workplace
Caseworker/Financial Investigator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 4, 2015
3 days a week out in the field making home visits to assist members with documents needed for Medicaid Applications and bringing Medicaid application down to 34th street Medicaid office to be process timely and 2 days a week in the office reviewing and assisting members over the phone regarding what documents are needed for scheduled pick up date. I learned how to travel within the Borough of the Bronx NY. Management was fair with caseload and willing to send you to classes for training to keep you educated & updated with the different changes within Medicaid guidelines. Co-works were team players and family oriented. The hardest part of the job is not knowing if you were safe going into member's homes. Most enjoyable was working in the Borough that you lived in it felt like you were giving back to your community.
Pros
Reimbursement for traveling expenses
Cons
no overtime
A very productive work place.
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2015
A very nice company with a lot of potential to grow and learn. They also have great benefits and a lot of good perks for staff and their families.
Great place to work with qualified colleagues
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2015
Productive and fun workplace which allows growth while working with colleagues as well as patients. The company offers great benefits and the hours are reasonable and flexible.
Used to be a wonderful place....Not now
Public Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  westchester/NYCJune 14, 2016
I have worked for this company for more than a decade, it was a wonderful company but sadly at this time the current management, especially in Westchester and the Bronx is HORRIBLE, it has sunken to the depths of a DRACONIAN ERA where backstabbing and witch-hunts of the dedicated staff that has been there for 10-25 years is under attack. Especially the Westchester management team, the 2 managers here are basically incompetent and they want to micro-manage the nurses to prove they are doing their jobs, but honestly they are destroying the efficiency of the nurses and they are horrible managers, sadly they used to be nurses in the organization and have lost perspective. The salary and benefits are excellent, but if you want to be worked to death for money that is a personal question. The Manhattan division is still run OK - but there is not the opportunity to make the money that there used to be in the company. There is UFT UNION representation for the nurses and they do a wonderful job, but it is definitely an exhausting place to work these days. The benefits through the UFT union are wonderful, full paid medical/dental for the entire family just for union dues, no employee contributions. And a pension managed by the UFT fund.
Pros
great benefits, UFT UNION, competitive pay
Cons
Horrible managment
Not what it use to be.
Claims Recovery (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 21, 2015
Work/Life Balance was what I love about the job, and also the Compensation Benefit but everything change around 2 years ago. Its just not the same.
Pros
Benefits are still okay and so is the work/life balance
Cons
unstable, no growth.
Learned a lot on the job
Intake coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bronx/WestchesterJune 22, 2015
Fast paced job environment but work was fulfilling. Must be capable of multi-tasking and adapting to change. Managers were available for assistance but must be able to work independently.
Pros
great technology, good benefits
Cons
shortage of staff
Productive workplace with wonderful employee celebrations!
OFFICE/FIELD STAFF TRANSLATER (Former Employee) –  ASTORIA BLVD JACKSON HEIGHTS NYMay 18, 2015
Rewarding experience benefits advancements overall excellent co-workers provided team work to get the job completed! Meeting in home patients in field praising vnsny for guaranteed services provided!!!!
Not A Great Place
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2016
The employees were rude I was offered a work study assignment from my school to work here. I would walk into the office and there would be no work available I would have to ask around if there something to do to make the day go by quicker.
Pros
NONE
Cons
NONE
Best company to work for as a nurse
Manager Customer Care Center Telephone Triage (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2016
I loved my job.Never called out sick, never late. I look forward to every night going on duty. Always signed on an hour early to see how the flow was going and check all emails before starting. Sometimes back flow from evening was a little hectic but then slowed down. Learned to listen carefully to what patients did not say to clue me in to their problem. Management as per my clinical instructor was very good. Received good advise. My co workers were the best. Assisting with Hospice calls and translating spanish calls for the Manager on duty was stressfull, or pt that were lonely and just wanted someone to speak to at night, which I would stay on the phone and speak to them. Most enjoyable when pt was so sad and at end of conversation would tell me I made their day brighter, I would keep their phone and call them few days later to check up on them. I spoke to my coordinator about the need to call our clients to check up on them, which we implemented. Worst day of my life when I retired.. My Dad was very sick I had to be there for him, he died 11/15. Now I am looking forward to giving to my clients what I learned caring for him and my step mom. My understanding for the care patients with dementia and progressive alzheimers need is very difficult. Want to give back for all I have learned, patience, love for nursing them back to an acceptable way of life with dignity, making sure no one hurts them emotional or bodily.
Pros
Able to work from home
Cons
Traveling into the city on snowy days