Visiting Nurse Service of New York Employee Reviews

Productive place to work
LPN/Private Duty Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kennett, MOFebruary 5, 2013
A typical day at work included recording and monitoring vital signs, adm medications, g-tube feedings/care, wound care, diabetic nail care, and personal care for the client. I learned about many different types of disease processes. Management of the company was great, however it was very hard to balance work with family emergencies, and they did not have light duty positions. Hardest part of the job was driving distance, and the most enjoyable part of the job was the clients.
Pros
great salary and benefits
Cons
not enough supervisor positions
Good Salary, Terrible Environment
Lead Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 5, 2015
Staff is micro-managed. Inconsistent scheduling.
Pay is great and so are the benefits.
Management is inexperienced on call handing. Offered little to no assistance.
Best company to work for as a nurse
Manager Customer Care Center Telephone Triage (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2016
I loved my job.Never called out sick, never late. I look forward to every night going on duty. Always signed on an hour early to see how the flow was going and check all emails before starting. Sometimes back flow from evening was a little hectic but then slowed down. Learned to listen carefully to what patients did not say to clue me in to their problem. Management as per my clinical instructor was very good. Received good advise. My co workers were the best. Assisting with Hospice calls and translating spanish calls for the Manager on duty was stressfull, or pt that were lonely and just wanted someone to speak to at night, which I would stay on the phone and speak to them. Most enjoyable when pt was so sad and at end of conversation would tell me I made their day brighter, I would keep their phone and call them few days later to check up on them. I spoke to my coordinator about the need to call our clients to check up on them, which we implemented. Worst day of my life when I retired.. My Dad was very sick I had to be there for him, he died 11/15. Now I am looking forward to giving to my clients what I learned caring for him and my step mom. My understanding for the care patients with dementia and progressive alzheimers need is very difficult. Want to give back for all I have learned, patience, love for nursing them back to an acceptable way of life with dignity, making sure no one hurts them emotional or bodily.
Pros
Able to work from home
Cons
Traveling into the city on snowy days
Not what it use to be.
Claims Recovery (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 21, 2015
Work/Life Balance was what I love about the job, and also the Compensation Benefit but everything change around 2 years ago. Its just not the same.
Pros
Benefits are still okay and so is the work/life balance
Cons
unstable, no growth.
productive work environment
Family Advocate (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 11, 2015
Answer calls from Lifeline and visit families in crisis, I learned that that a worker needs to have love and compassion for there line of work and clients. Management team needs to improve in there communication with staff and work ethics. There was no team work with the staff. The hardest part is to try to work in an environment with no team work and unity.I love to help families reach their goals.
Pros
late hours of work
Cons
little time of luch
Great Learning environment
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2015
The company provided a lot of opportunities to learn about healthcare and further pursue a career in the healthcare industry.
The company also provided great benefits for its employees.
Pros
Great Learning environment
Cons
Unstable work environment in regards to layoffs
My thoughts about VNS
Administrative Assistance / Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 16, 2015
During my time at Visiting Services of New York, I was able to multitask through different assignments that were given. However I maintain my professionalism even when buttons were pushed with supervisors who had a hard day. I excel and learn more working with software and hardware equipment and a lot of procurement tracking and receiving hardware and software for employees. At times I shipped many computers and laptops to other offices. I would be the one who ordered supplies for the department and their different locations. Working for multiple people is a challenge to me and for me, where I can utilize every great detail of my working experience to a new Company.
Pros
Nice envirnoment
Cons
Higher Executives need people skills along with having etiquette manners
Not an easy road
Family Counselor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rockaway Beach, NYMay 3, 2016
This job sounded wonderful but when it came down to it, it was pushy people that if they didn't like your work this when you were not in their church
Pros
closer to home
Cons
closer to home
Not the best job culture or team building atmosphere to work in
Temporary Member Service Rep (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2015
I worked as temp in the New York, NY office and the experience was not friendly. Staff were not welcoming and are not the best at training new staff. Management are partial and did not have a desk or username/log in available to work efficiently for my first month. While management knew, I had to retrieve my own empty desk to work at along with my username and log in for the systems used/needed to assist in-coming callers. I have never worked at an organization that was so unprofessional, unorganized, and with such a low morale. This is not a friendly atmosphere that promotes team building. I would not recommend working at this location as a temp. Unless you choose to be part of the high turnover rate and be treated unequal while you witness others outside of your nationality not experience what your experiencing. Too much to inequality to endure for the rate of pay offered to a temp.
Pros
Learned what it takes to retrieve my username & passwords for systems used
Cons
Low team morale
It would be an enjoyable enviroment If management would treat the employees fairly.
Financial Investigator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2015
It is a very busy enviroment which I am use to working in, I love to be busy and the cases vary from time to time, not all the cases are the same. As far as management if they would take time to listen to the employees and not try to personalize everything it would be a pleasant place to be, and they would get alot of productivity done. .
Productive place to work
Public Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2014
Working as per diem staff, Benefits were optional. The Compensation was good and it depends on your work performance and ability. The staff members were very supportive. Job security as a per diem staff was always shaky, but the organization made room for us until they made organizational changes and was global. In this job I met a lot of people, it was really cultural diversity and I liked it.
Great company to work for.
Hospice Admission Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 26, 2015
Productive and supportive hospice team with excellent management, time consuming travel however, interesting and self-fulfilling during patient and family encounter. Provides great learning experience.
Productive workplace with wonderful employee celebrations!
OFFICE/FIELD STAFF TRANSLATER (Former Employee) –  ASTORIA BLVD JACKSON HEIGHTS NYMay 18, 2015
Rewarding experience benefits advancements overall excellent co-workers provided team work to get the job completed! Meeting in home patients in field praising vnsny for guaranteed services provided!!!!
Not A Great Place
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2016
The employees were rude I was offered a work study assignment from my school to work here. I would walk into the office and there would be no work available I would have to ask around if there something to do to make the day go by quicker.
Pros
NONE
Cons
NONE
Payroll
Payroll Coordinator/AP Specialist (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 9, 2015
Does very good with payroll and any other task ask to do.
Does great job with AR.
Always takes on other task to help other.
Fills in when other are on vacation.
Cons
Job security with company Turn over with upper mgmt.
Manager Provider Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2015
VNSNY is an excellent company to work for. They offer excellent benefits and invest a lot of resources into developing and improving their employees .
Pros
Great benfits
Cons
Salry
Once had High standards and great with employee satisfaction but no more
Customer Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 8, 2014
Apparently there were some bad guidance within the company for the company to lose millions of dollars and because of that they are no longer dedicated to their patients and their employees . massive lay off over and over and also now when patients call its like calling AT&T or Verizon or Apple no more personalize interaction with patients where the person use to know the patients calling and attend to their needs. I am so scared for us as employees I know many of us are now job hunting before we also get that pink slip. I see many great and committed works got lay off in October and again this week. I am not sure in what directing Visiting Nurse Service of New York is going but a lot of us no longer want to be on this sinking ship
Pros
was great with benifits and home life balance
Cons
No longer showcommittment to patiens and employees
Chewed me up spit me out after 10 years employment
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Schenectady NYFebruary 8, 2013
I was an aid scheduler for almost 10 years and the guidelines changed so they demoted me. Then fired me. Said i forgot to do something No severance pay since they deliberately demoted me to a position that 3 people before me got fired too.
Pros
no pros. management is horrible
Cons
everything.
Worked in the field. Got plenty of excercise. My supervisor was pleasant.
Intensive Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 8, 2013
Visiting clients in many different places. Home, the street, shelters,etc. I learned things about the mentally ill that no book could teach you. My co-workers were helpful and pleasant.
Pros
Pleasant atmosphere to work in.
Cons
Very few raises.
Work Environment
Care Manager/Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2013
Typical day at work include multiple phone calls to members, doctors and members of the interdisciplinary team. At times, I made visits to members home and at times, I worked from the office. I definitely learned how to prioritize tasks and how to stay organized. My coworkers often called me to inquire about how to navigate the computer or general information related in Medicaid and Medicare guidelines because of my past experiences in dealing with them. The hardest part of my job is the frequent company changes and meetings that prohibit myself from managing cases. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction you receive from patient and doctors letting you know how much their lives have change because of hardwork.
Pros
Ability to work from home
Cons
Job Security and not being able to participate in up mobility within the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Visiting Nurse Service of New York. Our community is ready to answer.

Visiting Nurse Service of New York Reviews by Location