Visiting Nurse Service of New York

Visiting Nurse Service of New York Employee Reviews

Good benefits but very exhaustive
Physical Therapist PB (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 27, 2017
Excellent training, good perks but very exhausting physically and fast paced. The company is very good and trains you very well and provides you with all the gadgets but I was drained at the end of the day. I was doing lot of documentation at home to keep up with the work pace esp because I'm internationally trained PT. It is quite a challenge but may get easier with time and practice.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
very fast paced
Family owned business with owners and family all working in business.
Patient Community Liaison (Former Employee) –  New Haven CountyDecember 19, 2016
Worked here for 4 years and built my reputation in the industry by providing good customer service and working within the senior community. This job afforded me the opportunity to work with Totalcare and continue with my relationships in the industry.
Pros
Stepping stone to advancement to a better position in the industry
Cons
Family owned and operated
Workspace Culture
Social Work Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 14, 2016
The workspace can be very stressful and exclusive if you are a male worker. In an environment dominated by women it is very difficult for a man or young man to be comfortable in the workspace. Some workers are very exclusive, and many, blur the lines of the professional and personal relationships that they have in the work environment. Many staff members have inappropriate private conversation in the open that deal with very sensitive topics geared to bashing gender or demonizing clients for there problems. If you enjoy social work or helping those in need this is the career for you, however, you have to be comfortable to working in a high school mindset style work environment.
Pros
flexible schedule, community advocacy, on job certification
Cons
stressful and unhealthly work enviroment
typical duties
LPN Field Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 17, 2016
driving from visit to visit. if you don't like driving around and dealing with the public this will not be for you. you. wont have a set area, you could be driving all over the borough.
Pros
union, tuition reinbursment, room for growth
Productive and pleasant workplace
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 22, 2016
A typical day at work would be to
Open mail,
verify received invoices haven't been paid previously,
Code invoices and enter invoices into MAS90 to be paid.
Call Vendor with any questions,
Answer phone from vendors and answer any questions,
Cut checks and attach invoice for approval and signature by Vice President of Finance.

I learned MAS90 Accounting software

ok

coworkers - good relationship

The hardest part of the job was merging with St Francis and not being told that A/P was going to St. Francis.

I enjoyed working with the vendors.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
lack of communication with Management in merger
Educational environment. I have learned so much working here and have grown alot. I enjoyed working as a Public Health Nurse.
Coordinator of Care (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 22, 2016
Awful place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 17, 2016
They made me an incorrect offer and told me to trust them as they couldn't get it in writing for a couple days. So I put notice in at my current position and then they rescinded the offer the next day because I accepted an offer that was incorrect. I guess I wouldn't want to work there if that's how they are anyways.
Productive Place to work
Business/Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2016
Got a lot to learn. Very fast paced environment. Proper work life balance. Great location and great benefits. Great communication channels between cross functional teams.
No longer a happy place to work .
Public Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Westchester County, NYJuly 1, 2016
VNSNY used to be a great place to work-But inow there is a hostile working environment ,no management support, poor problem solving skills from managers.
I have been a Public Health nurse for 20 plus years and still enjoy seeing patients at home but this agency had made it more difficult for us to casemanage safely and efficiently . The nurses and rehab group that i worked with are awesome !
Pros
Medical benefits, pension plan, salary
Cons
Increased traveling, not geographically compact.
Used to be a wonderful place....Not now
Public Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  westchester/NYCJune 14, 2016
I have worked for this company for more than a decade, it was a wonderful company but sadly at this time the current management, especially in Westchester and the Bronx is HORRIBLE, it has sunken to the depths of a DRACONIAN ERA where backstabbing and witch-hunts of the dedicated staff that has been there for 10-25 years is under attack. Especially the Westchester management team, the 2 managers here are basically incompetent and they want to micro-manage the nurses to prove they are doing their jobs, but honestly they are destroying the efficiency of the nurses and they are horrible managers, sadly they used to be nurses in the organization and have lost perspective. The salary and benefits are excellent, but if you want to be worked to death for money that is a personal question. The Manhattan division is still run OK - but there is not the opportunity to make the money that there used to be in the company. There is UFT UNION representation for the nurses and they do a wonderful job, but it is definitely an exhausting place to work these days. The benefits through the UFT union are wonderful, full paid medical/dental for the entire family just for union dues, no employee contributions. And a pension managed by the UFT fund.
Pros
great benefits, Uft union, competitive pay
Cons
Horrible managment
Overworked, under-appreciated, penalistic environment
Acute Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 23, 2016
VNS was okay to work for at first. The workload was always heavy but we made the best of it. In the last 3 years, however management has shifted their focus to be more harrassing than usual and the big stick mentality is constant.

Your cases keep increasing and you cannot even get to see patients on schedule. They care more about numbers, spending millions on ridiculous dashboards while laying off essential staff and downsizing a 3 floor office space down to a 4 room corner box.

This company does not care about their patients and less so the workers. Most managers have resigned so you work without supervision. You cannot even reach them via phone.

Move along if you wish to provide safe patient care and maintain your sanity or integrity. This is not a good place to work.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Constant pressure, excessive cases, no personal life balance
Not an easy road
Family Counselor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rockaway Beach, NYMay 3, 2016
This job sounded wonderful but when it came down to it, it was pushy people that if they didn't like your work this when you were not in their church
Pros
closer to home
Cons
closer to home
I Loved working at VNSNY
Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 7, 2016
I was layed off more than 2 years ago and still miss the work life balance. I would work there again at the first chance i get.
Not A Great Place
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2016
The employees were rude I was offered a work study assignment from my school to work here. I would walk into the office and there would be no work available I would have to ask around if there something to do to make the day go by quicker.
Productive workplace
Caseworker/Financial Investigator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 13, 2016
Field work three times a week in the office for 2 days a week. I learned to be a caseworker by fieldwork training being out in the field. Management staff was very concern about sending employees to classes so they can continue to exceed in their position, Co workers worked as a team so we can assist members who needed homecare services. The hardest part was convincing elderly members when it came to documents needed for healthcare but over all they come around and are please with the services VNS has provided.
Pros
Pays for education
Cons
Pay rate is low
Productive place to work
Contracted Provider Claims Coordinator/Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2016
VNSNY is a great place to work. The benefits are awesome and my colleagues are wonderful. The hours are comfortable too.
Benefits
Cons
Manager need more training in ethics and cultural diversity.
Company managed by consultants
Enrollment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 17, 2016
Company does not value and invest in its employees. Management let great talent walk out the door. Many talented individuals were forced to leave. People that are there are not recognized and developed. No opportunity for growth due to politics. Very political organization. Not based on what you do but who you know.
Cons
No organizational stability
too demanding. "top" heavy company
Public Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2016
Love the patient care and day to day dealings with patients. don't care for the numerous managers, lack of communication to staff. great co-workers!
Best company to work for as a nurse
Manager Customer Care Center Telephone Triage (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2016
I loved my job.Never called out sick, never late. I look forward to every night going on duty. Always signed on an hour early to see how the flow was going and check all emails before starting. Sometimes back flow from evening was a little hectic but then slowed down. Learned to listen carefully to what patients did not say to clue me in to their problem. Management as per my clinical instructor was very good. Received good advise. My co workers were the best. Assisting with Hospice calls and translating spanish calls for the Manager on duty was stressfull, or pt that were lonely and just wanted someone to speak to at night, which I would stay on the phone and speak to them. Most enjoyable when pt was so sad and at end of conversation would tell me I made their day brighter, I would keep their phone and call them few days later to check up on them. I spoke to my coordinator about the need to call our clients to check up on them, which we implemented. Worst day of my life when I retired.. My Dad was very sick I had to be there for him, he died 11/15. Now I am looking forward to giving to my clients what I learned caring for him and my step mom. My understanding for the care patients with dementia and progressive alzheimers need is very difficult. Want to give back for all I have learned, patience, love for nursing them back to an acceptable way of life with dignity, making sure no one hurts them emotional or bodily.
Pros
Able to work from home
Cons
Traveling into the city on snowy days
nice people to work with
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
lots of transition, good for someone who likes to work in the field and likes the change.
A lot of employees left due to the increase in the caseloads but not in pay.
There are no annual bonuses any more.
Caseloads increased from around 25 to 40/50 and more
Pros
monthly metro card
Cons
large caseload

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Visiting Nurse Service of New York. Our community is ready to answer.