Visiting Physicians Association Employee Reviews

ok
Staff Physician (Former Employee) –  san antonio txsSeptember 30, 2017
Superior denies alot of medically recommended care.... a bummer.

Pros and cons to working there...working for many of these national big for profit corporations becomes problematic
good benefits and job security
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Troy, MISeptember 28, 2017
Performed extensive hours of driving although I had the ability to plan my route before getting on the road which was very convenient. I traveled from Cincinnati to Indianapolis, Cincinnati to Dayton, Ohio at times.
Great group of people to work with within the office
Clinical Educator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 25, 2017
Very corporate oriented. The dollar is the bottom line. Corporate treated the employees and the MD's without a lot of respect. Managment style is the critic versus praise.
Pros
great job for the right person.
Cons
I've never been employed by a company that fires employees so frequently. Extreme turnover!
Good practice model gone wrong
Provider Complex Chronic disease management (Current Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 20, 2017
New office with inexperienced practice Manager creates poor working conditions. Nobel position to help people but work load is unrealistic. Work/life imbalance.
Pros
competitive salary with bonuses, strong interdisciplinary support
Cons
difficult to achieve bonus structure and long hours
job security
primary care NP (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 6, 2017
job security as NP is great, i learned a lot while employed for the company. collaborating doctors were great and helped a lot. after being out looking for a career, VPA was not bad place to work
Pros
not in the office, benefits and pay
Cons
long hours, on call no pay
Professional
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 29, 2017
Must be a fast pace learner willing to work hard, be ready for some long hours, professional at all times, being very mindful to perform the tasks at hand
Decent place to work
MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 23, 2017
VPA is an ok place to work, it can be better with the right people. Nice place to start and gain experience. You do have the opportunity to learn alot of valuable skills and you can have fun at times.
Pros
Company vehicle, Benefits, nice environment
Cons
Management turnover, Can use better training for MA's, need more staff, Lack of communication, hard to get breaks at times, pay can increase, not much employee recognition
No work life balance and very poor benefit package
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  OhioAugust 1, 2017
No real support from upper management, very long hours, no compensation for mandatory week long on call, felt pressured to order unnecessary testing..
Great place to work!!
Office (Current Employee) –  MichiganJuly 27, 2017
I started my career with VPA over a decade ago, in that time period I have advanced within the company more than 5 times to multiple positions. If you have the passion for the patient care we give and look as this as a careeer and not just a job for a paycheck you can go along way with this company. I love working at VPA and love being apart of our team!!
Pros
Great Teamwork, room for advancement
Cons
Healthcare options, but it is getting better every year
Too much work for one person , co-workers claim to help but don't. Same with the " Manager"
Patient Care Coordinator/Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 26, 2017
Worked here 6 months and resigned. The PCC role is unbalanced between Providers / PCC. Management claims to be helping with your workload, but doesn't. A lot of wasted time chatting and manager tells everyone your problems. Very stressful that you cannot take care of all patients issues for that day because you are overworked. The co- workers that are unprofessional are praised! Patients would complain daily !!
Pros
The Dr's were all very nice
Cons
Lunch too short, workload uneven, loud and noisy office, a lot of complaints
Not
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middleburg Heights, OHJuly 26, 2017
Not a good place to work at. Supervisor picks favorites and everyone in the office sits around and gossips about any and everyone all day long. Not professional at all, the pay is not worth all the work you have to do. Some doctors are rude and you have to sit there and take it if you want to continue to work.
Pros
The patients
Cons
Short breaks, some pts homes
Growing organization with a bright future
Annonymous (Current Employee) –  WisconsinJuly 25, 2017
VPA is a great organization to work for. Of course every organization has their downfalls, but many changes were made to senior leadership that were positive and needed to be done in order to move forward as a competitive leader in the field of house calls.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Continue to listen to employees and move in the direction you are headed
fun place to work
MEDICAL ASSISTANT/SCHEDULER (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJuly 23, 2017
My typical day is work hard appreciate your patient and learn a lot from them. My manager is wonderful and we have mix culture of co-workers which makes a great environment. Seeing my patient happy from our visit was the best part of my job.
great place to work if you honestly like taking care of others.
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 18, 2017
I learned something new everyday from our patients, they all loved to share stories with us while we in their house for a visit. I would have loved to have stayed with VPA but they do not have offices here in Memphis.
Pros
more personl time with the patient
Cons
the traffic most days to get out to the patient.
Fast paced
Medical Assistant/Scheduler (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 11, 2017
Very busy, must be organized and detail oriented. I have learned a lot of job skills in scheduling. Have to be ready to fill in at a moments notice for people who call off. I enjoy talking to all of the patients and being a part of their care. The hardest part of the job is trying to keep up with all the work in a timely manner.
Pros
Nice employees to work with
Cons
Healthcare package
Office Manager
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 9, 2017
Very unprofessional environment. Lacks effective management. Pressure on physicians to order unnecessary tests. High turnover, lacks effective leadership
If you value your license - RUN!
Practice Manager (Corporate Puppet) (Current Employee) –  Not Gonna Say or I'll Be Done TomorrowJuly 2, 2017
Hard to say where to start. This company was recently taken over by Centene and those of us left are really hoping they can turn the company around. VPA has been losing 5-8 million dollars over the past couple of years, hard to stay a viable business with those kind of losses. No one is safe, every week there are notifications that good, hard working, successful, and honest Practice Managers and Area Managers have been let go. The turnover at all of the Practices is significant - 40% to 60%! Fraudulent providers who generate high RVU's and "document" high volumes are awarded and recieve significant bonuses, Corporate looks the other way. I've known staff (at all levels) who reprt this behavior to the Compliance Dept. and before too long HR finds a way to fire them. I am hoping Centene comes in and starts to clean house and put the right people in the right positions...and start with the HR Dept. (One HR Partner for 43 practices is inadequate and the individual currently in that role is worthless....sorry, but true). You can't manage your staff without HR input, which can sometimes take weeks, and by then its lost its significance. The EMR is a joke! Providers can carry over their note from the previous visit and change 2 or 3 words and its considered complete. The EMR Support Staff however are great, very helpfull. I could keep going but hopefully you get the point, and hopefully Centene reviews these reviews. I am not a disgruntled employee, just a PM that really likes their staff and believes that the model could be successful, however a big chunk of my day revolves around  more... CYA and protecting my license.

The current Leadership has done a great diservice to the Organization in 2017 by dismissing some GREAT stewards of the Organization. Good, hardworking, loyal, ethically & morally sound Area Managers and PM's have either been drivenout or terminated. It feels like all the good ones are gone and a lot of what is left are either inadequate or hanging on by a thread. Sadly, first good opportunity I get....I'm goona bolt.

And.....the PM Summits are great but stick with a management plan and stick with it. First we had to get on a bus, then we made soup, and then you make us the joke of the Practice because we had to pick a Super Hero that best represented us and then you demoralize us by making us dress up in costumes and parade us around the Organization. None of these tactics are beneficial or relevant if you don't let us manage our Practice in the first place!
Pros
Good model, good staff, decent pay, nice incentive plan (for now), good use of continuum, effort is being put forth to provide leadership training
Cons
Extremely high turnover, Many MA's are weak (you get what you pay for), Benefits are weak, HR is a joke, standards for Corporate Leadership is different than the expected standards at the Practice level, lack of consistency, lack of policies, and most frightening....fraudulent providers with no accountability
great place to work
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Okemos, MIJune 30, 2017
I love working here the office staff is very helpful, and everyone pitches in to help, lots of room for advancement and training. Very well organized and runs well
Pros
great staff
Cons
benefits needs improving
Decent job
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middleburg Heights, OHJune 19, 2017
Usually a fun place to work. Love the patients. Co workers are like family. Not great pay for what you have to go through on a daily basis . Not many advancement opportunities.
Pros
Family type workplace
Cons
Gossip, treated badly by Doctors
Fun
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Austin, TXMay 27, 2017
I enjoyed working with visiting physicians and learned a lot from the physicians that I worked with they were a teaching experience. I enjoyed visiting the patients in there home.
Pros
company vechile and gas card
Cons
driving

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Visiting Physicians Association. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8