Vista Outdoor Employee Reviews

geat people.
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Rantoul, ILSeptember 13, 2017
love the peopler i work with. i like knowing what i do can make a differents to someone. keeping people safe. everyone is hard working and not afraid to work harder to get the job done. i like that we build safety helmets for adults and children.
Poor management
Employee (Current Employee) –  Farmington, UTSeptember 6, 2017
Run. The most cutthroat environment I've ever worked at. I would not recommend to my worst enemy. The company has potential but under different leadership
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Great benefits, all about seniority
Lead Press Operator/Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, IDJuly 14, 2017
As soon as you are hired you get an employee number. Anyone with a lower number then you has more seniority then you. Seniority is used for advancements, shift placements and sometimes layoffs. The nice thing about it is the longer you are with the company the better off you will be. There are a lot of opportunities to work your way up and a lot of great benefits come when working for Vista Outdoor.
Enjoyable
Charger Operator (Current Employee) –  Anoka, MNMarch 1, 2017
Learned to communicate better, and worked better as a team as well as individually. Time goes by fast working 12 hour shifts. Management wasn't so bad, but could improve. Hardest part of the job was poor components couldn't keep up with machines running so some days couldn't be as productive as well as some co-workers containing poor work ethics. Sometimes you're always babysitting, and cleaning up after others. A lot of sitting which made people lazy, therefore, I always kept myself busy since it made 12 hour shifts goes by fast. Sometimes you get incentives for reaching a certain production level.
Pros
Good pay. Incentives
Cons
Scheduled hours.
Great
Material Handler II (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSDecember 28, 2016
Sometimes it ok to be there and sometimes
The should work on talking better to employees
It should be more room for move ups
Pros
Free lunch sometime
Cons
No conmu
Solid, stable company with great pay and benefits
Employee (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, IDAugust 8, 2016
Great company to work for. .A lot of time and effort go into employee recognition and perks. The company cares about the safety of the employees. People who stay with the company will have a bright future as Vista Outdoor continues to grow.

Love the people I work with!

Factory work is not for everyone, there is a reason they call it :"work", but people are paid fairly for what they do..
Pros
Generous PTO/Holidays; Value Share, short work week
Cons
Shift work, factory environment
Quality Department
Quality Technician (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJuly 18, 2016
Horrible management!! Quality is being outsourced to China so the QA department is going away. Job has no certainty and there are people coming and going all the time.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
3 percent raises and no direction. Workers get no respect from management.
High volume production environment
MACHINE OPERATOR II (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, IDMarch 15, 2016
At my time with Vista I enjoyed my job, and most of my co workers. Long hours were hard to get use to but eventually came around and preferred them. I learned a lot of hands on mechanical experience along with how production processes worked and the struggles between upper management and line workers.
Pros
Lots of Department rewards, long weekends
Cons
long hours, forced overtime
AR/Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 7, 2015
Politics, always uncertain of when your location would be closed.
Great Product, but bad with bringing new companies on and not listening to employees who had been employed from the start of the business.
Pros
9/80 work schedule
Cons
Closing locations and not retaining Team memebers who know the business
Beware
Production (Former Employee) –  USASeptember 24, 2015
Beware, Vista is posting jobs as production operator 6. It's not a operator position your are a box packer!! All you do is walk from machine to machine and pack things into boxes for 8 plus hours a day. I no longer work there did it for 6 months and knew, you were going no where, no advancement what so ever. Do yourself a favor go find yourself a job you can grow with.
Pros
Cons
No advancement
Decent job, poorly ran.
Assembler 2 (Former Employee) –  USAAugust 10, 2015
Sounds like a great place on paper - however, they don't assist employees anywhere near as much as they let on when life happens. FMLA systrm is a joke - just hope you have no emergencies or issues out of work....
Assembler job is simple and mundane.
Pros
pay rate, job ease, zero tolerance policies
Cons
policies for leave are ridiculous, training process is poor, supervisors are inadequate.
Great pay to Start! health benny's are going down.
Mechanical Adjuster/ Quality (Former Employee) –  Anoka, MNJune 24, 2015
Love the work I do at federal ammunition. The Anoka plant needs to break up the good old boys club. I have never worked for a company that has so many talented people side lined because of the good old boys club. This company could be soooo much more but won't ever get there with its current management style.
Shift preference was changed to slow down the turn around rate on weekends. An employee can expect to be locked into there weekend shift for a very long time now. The weekend shift still has a high turn over rate with employees leaving instead of changing shifts.
To give you an idea of the turn over rate, about every six month we get on average 4-8 new employees/cell and currently there are 35 openings on the weekend.

You will love the pay scale but hate your hours. You will get 4 to 3 days off a week but expect them to be Mon.-Thur. A few will make it to a week shift faster because of the new system but the majority will have slow movement. Career couching is limited and career advancement depends on your place in the Good old boys structure not on your skill set.

Huge issue in Management, great fun loving people to work with on the floor... A good company that could become great if they would fix there management style.
Pros
Great Pay ! The average joe is great to work with .
Cons
Expect to be on your shift for a very long time, health care, Managment, Good old boys club.
Overall Decent Company to Work for
Admin (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 26, 2015
There were many ups and downs as with most companies. For the most part I enjoyed my employment as it served it's purpose. This company was a very decent company to work for overall.
Pros
Every other Friday off
Cons
Very little room for growth at location

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vista Outdoor. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9