Vista Unified School District Employee Reviews

"Let it Go!"
Child Nutrition Services (Sub) Lead, Asst II (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAJuly 5, 2017
If there is an issue that cannot be resolved, and the kids are still getting choices "Let it GO!" we'll figure it out later. We had a lot of fun preparing and serving students, and the students really enjoyed our food. This was a management position, ordering, inventory, production records. Prep, cook and serving about 450 students a day wit 3, sometimes 2 staff, could have been miserably busy, but we chose to make tho most fun possible. I enjoyed VUSD very much
Pros
Fun, fast paced, love the kids
Cons
Could use a better paycheck
Wonderful School Disrtrict
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAJune 29, 2017
The opportunity to be able to work with a great compassionate individuals was a blessing. Especially the talented teachers and educated students. The experience was exhilarating and different then any job I ever had.
Pros
Beautiful people
Cons
only part-time
Productive and engaging
Math / Creative Technology Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJune 18, 2017
A typical day is to re-engage students on the importance of an education. I have learned to to be compassionate towards all learners and remember every student learners differently. Classroom management is accomplished by creating a respectful relationship. I have only worked with "at promise" students. Low income students that are seeking a second chance in education. The most difficult part of my job is when technology fails. The most enjoyable part of my job is when a student get that "A-ha" moment. To see the light in their eyes when they understand a subject...priceless!
Pros
I get to teach!
Classified Employee
SH/PH Instructional Assistant IV Para-Educator (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAMay 10, 2017
Typical large everyday district. Many departments with many people. Rarely there mostly at the schools working. Loved the School environment more than the office setting.
fun place to work at
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAMay 2, 2017
awesome district to work for.. District hires full-time aides with benefits. I had fun working with students i was assigned to. i was always excited to come in to work. Great staff!
Pros
healthcare, paid holidays
Did not like.
Guest Teacher (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAApril 13, 2017
I did not like this job at all. I was treated poorly by teachers, site administration, students, and the district. The pay was horrible. One could not survive on their own even if they worked every single day of the school year.
Communicating between teachers and techs is challenging!
PC Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAApril 9, 2017
VUSD was a great place to work. Providing I/T support to students, as well as teachers, called for the adjustment of communication in order to interface between two unique populations of people: the practical and the idealistic.
Pros
You were always needed and welcomed
Cons
The lack of PC and software knowledge among academics.
Too stressful of a workplace
FISCAL SERVICES TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Vista, CAMarch 28, 2017
Not enough time for vacation. Not family oriented. Financial software does not allow to complete tasks in a timely manner. You feel like you cannot achieve anything while being here. Just a job.
Pros
Cons
A lot.
Well run school district with a diverse student population
Campus Security Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vista, CAOctober 3, 2016
I have enjoyed my time at Vista Unified School District but now desire to move back into the private sector. I enjoyed meeting and interacting with students, teachers, and administrators. It was very rewarding to ensure the safety of and to coach many young students. I met a bevy of interesting and articulate teachers/administrators with a wealth of knowledge and much insight into the human psyche.
Pros
Making friendships with students, teachers and administrators
Cons
boredom, lack of compensation
Great career
Del Mar Fairgrounds Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Del Mar, CAMay 11, 2016
I worked with Vista Unified for over 34 years. Great district to work for. Retiring in June and looking for semi-part time employment. Do not need benefits. Worked at Del Mar Fairgrounds part time as a parking dept supervisor. Enjoy working there as well.
Pros
Great Career
Fun and Rewarding Work Place
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Vista, CAMarch 15, 2016
There is a lot of support that will help you grow as an individual and there is plenty of room to work with the students through your own methods.
Rewarding working with children and staff members.
Classified- Noon Duty Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vista, CANovember 10, 2015
Monitoring and safeguarding children at play or during lunch, establishing an understanding and trust with students and faculty members.
Pros
flexible schedules, friendly office and school staff.
Cons
standing long periods of time outside.
Challenging and rewarding job
Instructional Assistant After School Program (Current Employee) –  Vista, CAAugust 25, 2015
Great job to gain hands-on experience in the educational field and to learn conflict resolution. Students can be challenging, but this forces you to learn how to approach problem-solving in different ways.
Amazing and welcoming work environment
Senior Health Service Tech - LVN (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJuly 1, 2015
My typical work day consists of 30-75 visits per day. I would say that the thing I have learned the most is how to balance a busy health office effectively. The staff and students are truly enjoyable and very warm. The hardest part of my day would be when my office becomes over run with 10-15 students needing care at the same time. I enjoy the fun environment and challenge that I encounter daily!
Pros
I only work 2 days that the kids have off, otherwise, I get the same vacations and days off that the students do.
Cons
No pay during July.
Enjoyed working with students and friendly co-workers
Driver (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAJune 25, 2014
Picking up students then dropping them at school
How to deal with different personalities and behaviors
Felt I was treated fairly
Truly enjoyed working with them all
People not respecting that you transport children
Did not get in an accident and all students where dropped at home
School out
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAMarch 1, 2014
A typical day at work begins with your partner giving you the list!!
You learn about people and their habits/routine.
Management - you was your own management, very few coworkers.
The hardest part of the job is trying to please everyone.
Pros
you meet a wide group of people
Cons
you get paid once a month, always on call
Great work place for carrier orentated people.
Grounds Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vista, CANovember 5, 2012
enjoyed working with staff and students. good benifits with a team enviourment. maintaind 33 school sites with daily chalanges. worked closly with a education management staff.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
fast paced
An average place of employment.
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAOctober 18, 2012
Cleaning an entire elementary school was hard work. But the children and staff made the day go by on a positive. I truly miss my job, but with my back injuries and the work comp problems, I can not return to this kind of work.
Pros
medical, retirement, etc.
Cons
politics, school board politics, budget cuts, etc.