Vista Employee Reviews in United States

Management was pathetic
Instructor (part-time) (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXApril 28, 2016
A lot of dissention at the top, throwing people under the bus and making borderline illegal requests of employees. Poorly educated staff in positions that they were not qualified for and a total lack of training. I saw people that were made fun of because they did have educational credentials. Example was starting a phlebotomy class and the instructor was not qualified to teach it and did not know how to draw blood.
The campus director always dressed out of GQ and stayed in his office-he was totally incompetent and unable to manage but he looked nice.
Pros
there was some really good people who cared about the students
Cons
the top brass on campus and at corporate did not care and allowed things to fester
Great Place to Work
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILMarch 6, 2016
This is a great place to work. The executive leadership is inspiring. There are a lot of jobs for potential work overseas.
Excellent Serice Provider
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, CTJuly 15, 2015
Vista is a non-profit company that trains young adults with developmental issues to lead independent lives. The company does good work and is run very well. Compensation is poor and no room for advancement.
Pros
Management, vision
Cons
Salary, advancement
Was able to meet with and work with aging individuals who could not find government help on their own. Very rewarding.
Americorps Outreach Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALDecember 16, 2015
I travelled between two rural Alabama counties to meet with low income and senior citizens needing government help.

The most difficult part of the job was finding the senior citizen community centers in different towns.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the folks and making them feel connected to the proper government department.

Working with my bosses, who taught me about government services and support, and encouraged me to want to continue in public service.
Pros
Meeting all staffs in outlying offices and within my personal group.
Cons
Low income and traveling on unknown rural roads.
No Review
Leader (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAFebruary 16, 2013
As a United Way-AmeriCorps VISTA Leader (Volunteer-in-Service-to-America) my duties include but are not limited to Mediation and Conflict Resolution-maintain a congenial atmosphere, serve as a third-party arbitrator to resolve subordinates’ work related conflicts. Leaders set an example of leadership for AmeriCorps VISTA members, ensure positive relations, facilitate idea-sharing, and mediate issues with the community, the project, supervisors, and AmeriCorps VISTA members. Most enjoyable part of the job is creating a paperless H.R. management system using Microsoft Access and Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 and applying analytical and strategic problem solving skills.
Pros
community outreach, helping others, is very rewarding.
Cons
annual contractual position and the compensation package is not competitive.
long hrs.
Assembler02 (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, IDNovember 11, 2015
Unfortunately I myself did not have the best experiences with this company. Hand injury within my first 90 days fired for taking a prescribed med. within 24 hours of work.
Productive workplace
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Seat Pleasant, MDFebruary 15, 2016
The most enjoyable part of this job is having the freedom to work with minimum supervision. I work independently on a daily basis and use my own vehicle.
Pros
Flexable work hours
Cons
N/A
Americorp VISTA Birmingham AL
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham ALMay 31, 2015
Created and conducted employment workshops for people who were unemployed and transitioning to another career. Partnered with other employment services, employers, and businesses to create job paths. Worked with seniors, formerly incarcerated individual, people in recovery to overcome obstacles to employment. this was an Americorp VISTA position and I was required to live on a poverty stipend while on assignment. My site manager was open to anything reasonable I wanted to try. I learned how to partner with community organizations more effectively help more people.
Pros
I did creative work, learned a lot, and was appreciated
Cons
Required Living in poverty.
A different kind of workplace
Youth Mentor (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTDecember 16, 2015
There is no typical day at work here, clients can have a good effect on you and vice versa. You might cause them to have a good day too.
Pros
Free food, never boring
Cons
No breaks
Productive when the right people were working
Fry Cook (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSAugust 17, 2015
typical day of work was to do my job and make sure everyone else was doing there job. Managers were usually fairly lazy and didn't do much work. Co-workers most liked to watch one or two people work so they could look at there phones. The hardest part of the job was going to work everyday. The most enjoyable part of the day was getting to work with a few of the productive employees
Pros
were flexible with my school schedual
Cons
lazy workers and managers

Want to know more about Vista?

Ask a question
Great place to work and Lead. Difficult to get support of parent company.
Director - Vista Operations (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 7, 2015
Enjoyable and rewarding place to work and lead. The business is outside companies core strenght and can lead to frustration in charting the coarse for success.
Pros
independance
Cons
the step child of the business
Slow to get going but with determination we served the children well.
Community Development Specialist, Americorp (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 4, 2015
It was the AmeriCorp Vista Program. It is like the Peace Corps for inside the United States. We organized the Rolling Readers program to improve children's reading levels. We also had a book drive and gave away 100 books.
Pros
Liked helping children improve their reading skills.
Cons
Low pay
Producive Workplace--always busy
Diesel Locomotive Remanufacturing Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 15, 2014
Rebuilt diesel locomotive train engines--specifically GE and EMD. Within two years, I became the Engine Shop Team Leader. As the Team Leader, I consistently met Vista’s engine quota each month. In order to meet the monthly quota, I managed inventory, set daily goals for employees. Due to increasing demand, I launched first and second shift, planned, coordinated, and managed each shift’s production. Accepted responsibility for overseeing the locomotive testing and results at third party site. Ability to interpret and maintain documents such as procedure manuals, blueprints, maintenance instructions, schematics and drawings. Significant knowledge of mechanical maintenance. I enjoyed working hard and every challenging task. There was ample overtime available.

Unfortunately, the engine contract was not renewed. The engine shop closed. As a result, I was laid off. I miss Vista. Vista was a good company.
Pros
bonus, overtime
Was not that great.
Produce Team Member (Former Employee) –  Vista Ridge, TXJanuary 24, 2013
The management at this Target in particular was sub-par. They were not understanding if a person was sick or was injured. My co-workers in other departments were great but in my produce department they were worthless.
Productive and great position for those looking to gain insight on administrative duties and also helping fellow Americans.
Volunteer In Service To America (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 21, 2013
Typically a VISTA associate works for an assigned firm and once placed you work with whoever the hiring manager deems needs more outside help. Essentially learned the guidelines to working in a small-medium office as well as learning about community initiatives. The best part of the job was knowing that I was helping further a noble cause and the intangible rewards that came from this.
Pros
free lunches, travel, camaraderie, experience
Cons
limited span of work
Great possiblities, lack of leadership.
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  UtahMarch 9, 2015
They have great potential, but they lack leadership. Potential Issues are not dealt with, but left alone. One or two real leaders could take that company from 4th in the county to 1st.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
leadership is non-existent.
Flood Relief Volunteer
Flood Relief Worker (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 28, 2015
VISTA is now known as Americorps. It is a great organization that allows young people the opportunity to serve their country in a different capacity than the military. Community service is just as admirable and important as military service. I am glad to have served as a VISTA.
E5 in the US Navy
NP (Former Employee) –  Everett WAMarch 23, 2015
Great for experience. If traveling is something you are into, then the Navy is the place for you. You will meet lots of great people and learn lots of great thing that will help you though out your life.
Productive and educational environment
Volunteer In Service To America (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 19, 2014
a typical day as a VISTA is on the phone and online trying to get donation to start wonderful programs to help resources low income communities on the poverty levels. My site manager Lucas Cabrera was supper nice, knowledgeable, and thought me so much. The co-workers at VISTA were so nice we always help each other out I really enjoyed working with the other employees at VISTA.
Pros
free lunches, nice people, helped lots of communities
Cons
late meetings
Vista
Fraud Prevention (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORJanuary 4, 2014
This was a great job, Great Management, the only reason I left was for better pay, I wish I kept this job.