VITAMIN SHOPPE

VITAMIN SHOPPE Employer Reviews

Very good experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Shreveport, LADecember 14, 2013
Pros: discounts, and you get a great bit of knowledge on supplements.
Cons: management at the location i worked at.
Love working w/customers and expanding my knowledge on supplements and herbs to make me a better Assistant Manager. Love my customers questions and their desire for overall wellness and fitness! Learned more at this establishment then I can say I ever did at GNC. It was pretty swell too have a unique team too vibe off of. Management was the biggest – more... down fall for departure from the company. Assistant manager role became more like the Store Manager role even through my early learning stages w/ the company. Blame game came about shortly after 3 months on the job. My attitude toward the job itself was that it was awesome and really wish at the location I worked had a least a manager I could at least deal with. – less
It a fun and education place to work
Manager (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLDecember 12, 2013
Pros: 25% discounts
Cons: bad asm
lots of customers to enter-act with always learning new thing ,fast pace.good place to work for a job but not a career
Does not value it employee's. Underpayed, undervalued and treated as replacements.
Health Enthusiast (Former Employee), Mentor OhioDecember 4, 2013
Pros: product knowledge you can take to further jobs/careers post vitamin shoppe
Cons: lack of management, lack of trust, lack of hours, underpayed, overworked
Working with the Vitamin Shoppe has to be one of the worst experiences of my life. I worked in the Woodmere Ohio location from Feb 2013 to August 2013. They made rash and over ambitious promotions within the store without properly interviewing. I personally watched my assistant manager steal products along side the Store Manager. I moved stores to the – more... Mentor Ohio where it was a major difference. Once I settled in, I made the decision to make a HR complaint about the stolen products. Not only did it take months for the company to only tell me they did not find the proper information to charge to terminate the employee's, it showed the lack of follow through within the company. 3 months is not acceptable for an HR investigation for any company.

Room to Grow?? Forget about it. I can't speak on other stores and district, but I can tell you in that district, it is almost nearly impossible. After speaking with fellow employees who have invested years of employment with the Vitamin shoppe, it was a commonality. Most were concerned that friendships were valued more than talent and growth. Many store managers have personal relationships that borderline inappropriate for the workplace. Many, are relationships outside the workplace.

Health Enthusiast position is a joke. They speak highly on the value of the position to the company but they almost allow nothing to be done by the Health enthusiasts except help customers and put stock away. For instance, the company has a lot of internal theft problems and they insist on making acquisitions only on those people in those positions. For instance, the emails that are sent to each store are labeled with "Make sure you bag check every health enthusiast before leaving the store". It's blasphemy. they do not trust health enthusiasts and pretty much deem them replaceable. They will fire Health Enthusiasts for anything, but will not properly hold management accountable for anything.

Hours, that is another joke. You will be promised the hours you will get and then without notice you will be dropped. No discussion, nothing. Many Health enthusiasts fight for hours which creates a riff between employees. Management has no problem with this because they are guaranteed full time as Health Enthusiasts are not. DO NOT EXPECT to receive hours for good work, many if not all Health enthusiasts will tell you this.

Pay...oh goodness. You are expected to know so much information with very little incentive. its just barely above minimum wage. Pair that with the 'hours" fiasco and you have a recipe to 'hate your job".

Product knowledge is another rough topic. They like to hire only gym related "men" as health enthusiasts for the simple fact of the highest income per items, which is protein based items. which would seem like a good idea business wise to relate information to customers, but, with over 10,000 products in store and with an ever changing supplement world, its terrible. they have a program that allows you to learn about each section in the store. However some stores only have one computer. When you have multiple managers using the computer all day for emails, sales goals and other management resources....it's an honest to god pain.

So with that being said, I would advise anyone to reconsider working with company as it is not a place for people to progress within, enjoy or take serious. I will also state that this specific district in this specific area is one of the worst. that is also another commonality, other districts frequently talk about how they do not wish to be in that district. Mainly because of the District manager. Expect to be held accountable for any mistakes for months if not years. nothing gets resolved at said time but it will be used against you down the road and prevent you from enjoying your job and growing within the company.

you have a better shot at working in Fast Food. – less
Fun but no support from upper management
Store Manager (Former Employee), Appleton, WINovember 2, 2013
Pros: free product, happy healthy industry
Cons: job security, lack of support, and absence of company initiatives
Health and wellness is a rewarding industry that paid quite well. However the dark side of this growing business is upper management support, it is not quite there as it should. The divisions are not broken out enough and upper leadership doesn't have time to support store management. Also the company is growing at a rate they can't handle and job security – more... is not what it should be. I saw a great deal of turnover while being there and the leaders were very good that they let go. Worth a shot, just have a back up position ready. – less
Overworked and Underpaid
Manager (Current Employee), TexasNovember 2, 2013
Cons: pay is too low
I've been with the company for 5 years and started as an Assistant Manager and am now a store manager. The company does not value their management team and tend to throw them under the bus. While moving up within the company the pay increase is less than an outside employee coming in with zero experience. It seems the company would rather push out good – more... managers and the job security is low. Assistant manager and store manager turn over is extremely high in the organization and it has become a company I no longer trust.
The upper management disregards any type or work/ life balance and for a company that is supposed to promote health and wellness it doesn't promote it for the employees. Shame on you. – less
Helping Others
Retail Cashier (Former Employee), Wisconsin, AppletonOctober 31, 2013
Pros: hours
Cons: low pay incentives
I was able to apply what I know of nutrition and exercise to aid others in their goals.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Clerk (Current Employee), Canton, OHOctober 29, 2013
Pros: helping people
Cons: not enough hours
I stock shelves, work one on one with customers to help them find what they are looking for. My coworkers are amazing. They helped me to learn good work strategies. My favorite part about the job is helping people.
this job was productive and I gained alot of experience from the enviornment
key holder asm (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 26, 2013
A typical day at work for me involved lots of paperwork and dealing with and servicing lots of customers to my fullest ability.I learned more about going above and beyond for the need of the company and its shoppers.My management changed through my time with the company I was more satisfied with my supervisor from my earlier months as apposed to the – more... supervisor upon my leaving the company.The hardest part of my job was leaving any projects unfinished ;it really bothers me to have assignments incomplete.The most enjoyable part of my job there was being able to productively supervise staff so we could all as a team satisfy our customers. – less
Good knowledge of healthy living acquired
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Bryn Mawr, PAOctober 26, 2013
It is a retail environment with customers of unique needs and wants.
selling vitamins
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 3, 2013
replenish the shelves with vitamins.
I have learned a great deal about vitamins and what they do.
management changed so many times
co-workers was awesome and friendly.
cleaning the shelves with the dust.
the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people.
Not enough room to grow within the company.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), East Hanover, NJSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: customers are great and easy to make goal.
Cons: raises, short staff, no room for growth.
Management is not the best, short staffed, hard to grow within the company, company does not like to work as a TEAM, hard to get a descent raise from the district manager. OVERALL is if you want to grow in the company, this isn't the place to work for.
Good starter job.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: employee discount
Cons: management, hours
Good place to work while in school. The discount is nice if you are into a healthy, active lifestyle.
Enjoying work and helping with health
Health Enthusiats (Current Employee), Owings Mills, MarylandJuly 17, 2013
Pros: employee discount, product knowledge learning path, benefits
Cons: short lunches
A Typical day at work consist of helping customers with health goals, explaining products and making sure I stay in the guidelines.Working at Vitamin Shoppe I learned and still am learning, Product knowledge is on of the keys to success working here and Vitamin Shoppe wants you to succeed. The company provides product knowledge course that you take – more... at work . One thing at Vitamin Shoppe is that they love hiring people who are friendly and fun so its a joy to be at work. The hardest part about working at vitamin shoppe would be , staying in the guidelines that are set up for the selling of vitamins , for instance not promising that a product is going to work. Working at Vitamin Shoppe there are a lot of enjoyable moments its a fun place to work plus your learning new things everyday – less
Under valued and under paid
Manager (Current Employee), ColoradoJuly 6, 2013
i have worked at the Vitamin Shoppe for well over 4 years and moved my way up from part-time to a Store Manager position. The biggest concern with this company is that moving up internally gets you less pay that if you were to come from outside the company with zero experience. The pay rates for employees is way below what should you should get paid. – more... experience in the company gets you nothing when moving up, they don't value associates we are all replaceable. Company is super cheap, worse computer network for getting tasks done, can barely load internet pages and if you can they are blocked, which makes it hard to help customers. Lack of communication is the biggest problem company wide, no one takes responsibility for mistakes.
Its a shame that they are just letting a experienced manager walk out the door. actually as a 40 hr Key holder I'm getting my hours cut so that they can force me out and replace me.

Shame on this company for their bad business practices. – less
Vitamins and Minerals, Sports Nutrition, Dieting
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 13, 2013
Pros: thorough training, trainers, free gym memberships
Cons: limited growth within company, low pay, low discount
Working at Vitamin Shoppe they trained their employees extensively. Employees go through this online workshop called Vitamin Shoppe University. So whenever a person came in we would have extensive knowledge of products and how they help or if they cause any damage. Down side is that it takes very long to move up in the company. They hardly hire from – more... within and the pay isn't that good. – less
Difficult at best
full time associate + key holder (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJune 8, 2013
Pros: learning opportunities
Cons: senior store manager is horrible
The store manager creates a work atmosphere of fear, recrimination, and stress in the store. She does not communicate well with the associates or other managers within the store. She does not promote coaching development to improve productivity or participate in it herself. She compels associates through cruelty and intimidation to speak against each – more... other with innuendo, gossip and lies. She embellishes the truth with her own set of values and elicits fear in everyone who works at the Greensboro store of The Vitamin Shoppe. I find her tactics unprofessional and untenable. This unconscionable behavior by the store manager has made it extremely difficult to express concerns at Monday managers meetings because she does not allow alternative suggestions and perceives every proposal as a question to her authority. – less
fun work enviroment
assistant manager (Current Employee), chicago, ILJune 6, 2013
Pros: benefits and helping people
Cons: no support from upper management
When you work with the right people it is a fun job. They provide a lot of knowledge for the wellness industry. The company needs to develop a solid foundation for overall function, instead of worrying about changing their physical appearance.
Micromanagement At Its Best!!!
Former Store Manager (Former Employee), Mesquite, TexasMay 13, 2013
Pros: you get to work with great friends
Cons: district manager, micromanagement, spineless executive management
Typical Day: You get to work with your friends and people you sincerely being around, you help customers with their health and wellness needs, you rotate product, and you do various other operational tasks throughout the day.

What I Learned: That you can be promoted to store manager, and take the store from the worst in the district to the best - and – more... then get fired for providing Military, Police and Fire Discounts (evidently it's against company policy, yet I've still not gotten a response from the HR department on my request to review the company policy on discounts. Oh, by the way GNC makes it well known that they provide a 15% military discount). In addition, if you are in favor of "double standards" you will love working for THEEEE Vitamin Shoppe. The District Manger (Dallas) has such a blatant "double standard" policy (ex: Hey lets make the store manager of the WORST performing store in the district - the field training manager. Hey, why don't we fire the store manager of the BEST performing store for giving Military, Police and Fire discounts.) HMMMM. Not a good business move.

Management: District Manager and above.....kind of a combination of jellyfish (no spine) and a rodent (sneeky and does things behind your back). You have your executive management team that has zero background in health and wellness, left a major toy distributor to wreak havoc on a previously well-run, culturally-strong company. It seems that the Dallas, Tx district has a major turnover rate - probably one of the highest in the company for store managers. So if you are considering applying to be a store manager - look out, watch your back!!

Co-Workers: Some of the best people I've ever worked with. I have created some great long-term friendships with my former co-workers. I talk to a great deal of them several times per week - that aspect was well worth the investment of my 2.5 years with THEEEE Vitamin Shoppe.

Hardest Part of The Job: Lack of Leadership above the store level. Nothing you ever do is ever good enough. I can count on one hand how many times in almost a year of store management I ever received a positive comment about our team's accomplishments (From anyone). I have had the luxury of learning a great deal from numerous leadership styles. I have learned just as much from poor leaders as I have great leaders, and I truly applied lessons from both. The District Manager that so-called "leads" the Dallas, Tx district is an example of "what not to do" especially with your team members.

The Best Part of The Job: Getting to work with people you consider to be your close friends. And for the most part, getting the opportunity to help customers is a rewarding aspect, especially when a customer returns and specifically tells you they they are feeling so much better due to the suggestion that you made for them. That's a great feeling!!!! – less
Sales Associate/Assistant Manager
Sales Associate/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 8, 2013
Assisted with managing all aspects of sales, operations, customer service, and staff training for this retail chain. Emphasis on sales and advancing business development initiatives providing a full range of products and services to prospective clients utilizing health, fitness and wellness knowledge.
Not a Healthy Work Environment
key holder (Former Employee), GeorgiaMay 8, 2013
Pros: working with the customers
Cons: incompetent management
A typical day involves serving customers , rotating stock, possibly stocking and just trying to keep yourself busy and out of the store politics

As far as product knowledge goes the company makes a large initial investment to prepare you to speak the language of the supplement business.

Management will smile at you to your face and stab you in the – more... back. If you have the "in" you can skip work as much as you like and be promoted, if not, you can work your self to death and not be appreciated.

The hardest part of the job was explaining to part timers why the manager was so immature

The most enjoyable was training pt health enthusiast and helping customers . – less

About VITAMIN SHOPPE

About Vitamin Shoppe, Inc. (NYSE: VSI) Vitamin Shoppe is a leading specialty retailer and direct marketer of nutritional products – Read more