Vitamin World

Vitamin World Employee Reviews

Great discount and decent work
Store Manager (Current Employee), Washington, PAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: pay and a low ceiling in advancement
Vitamin world is a pretty good company to work for. The discount is awesome and, for me, advancement was pretty quick until you hit a store manager position. Repetitive work can become tedious after awhile
high volume and great co-workers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Atlantic City, NJFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: paid time off, birthday pay, holiday pay
Cons: short breaks
Vitamin World was one of my best employment opportunities.The staff was a pleasure to work with. I learned something new everyday about health issues and products to use to help improve health. I focused making sales goal,loss prevention and cleanliness of store.
The hardest part of the job was learning the benefits of all the products. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to utilize what I learned at work in my everyday life skills. Also being able to give my friends and family advice that has been valuable.
Great work environment to enhance ones customer service skills
Nutritional adviser (Former Employee), Mebane, NCFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: great benefits offered, amazing staff, driven company
Cons: the commute to and from work, wage cuts
The training process was very thorough and it allowed me to feel confident in the products I sold. I quickly learned how to open the store and get all the paperwork prepared for each day. The typical customer came in to improve their well being and my co-workers and I assisted each customer to help them acquire the items that would benefit them. Although there was a certain competitive drive for each – more... employee we still helped each other out if one of us didn't have the full knowledge on something a customer wanted. The management was great and pushed us to be the best that we could be. The biggest takeaway from working this job is the patience and understanding that each customer is different and their needs should be met just as I would want my needs to be met. The hardest part of the job was not being able to answer certain medical questions that someone might have. Although we did offer products that helped certain issues we could not ensure or guarantee that the item they purchased would cure, fix, or reduce symptoms and issues. Overall i enjoyed working for this company. – less
Was my favorite job I could ever ask for.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Ocoee, FlFebruary 11, 2015
This is the best place to work if you have a drive for fitness, nutrition and personal health and love affirmation of helping others reach their goals. HOWEVER if you have an issue politics play a large role here and you have to tough through it. There is some chance for advancement making this also Ideal if you are patient and want to pursue a career with a strong company.
Great for college students!!
Assistant Manager/Nutritional Advisor (Current Employee), Ridgeland, MSJanuary 29, 2015
Flexible hours, learn more about supplements and nutrition.
Highly Interactive
Sales Representative/ Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Monroeville, PAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great products
Cons: management was sloppy
I enjoyed what I was talking about and loved that I was able to teach and inform. People would ask advise about what they needed to do in order to reach the desired goals. I liked that I was able to use my knowledge and training.

I was able to make in impact in this company that allowed me the opportunity to continue in a positive career path. Unfortunately, the management that promised me the soon to be promotions was offered better opportunities and left with company, the following management dismissed what was previously promised and brought in their own people from outside the company.
Decent
Store Manager (Former Employee), Hicksville, NYJanuary 2, 2015
Challenging but rewarding. Sales are number one above all.
Great training on products but constant pressure on stats and numbers is a real pain.
Store Manager (Current Employee), paDecember 15, 2014
Pros: training/learning the field
Cons: very bad pay, higher ups micromanage so much and only want numbers.
Great staff to work with once youre settled, but no room for advancement. They make us dress professional and want us to sell with passion and professionalism but pay us like burger flippers. They con u into saying u can make a certain amount of dollars extra per hour with sales which is complete lies because it has to do with what shifts you work. All the higher ups care about is numbers and not the – more... reality of things. Depending on area your store is its very unlikely to move up to a great position where you can make a living. Company has a crazy turn over ratio for a reason due to very very low pay and butter u up by promising commissions and bonuses which are rare for most in my district due to sales goals that are just ridiculous with the decline of customers and traffic. Store managers honestly in our district only make about 10.50 to 13.00 an hour and maybe total on the good side low 20 thousand a year after factoring in commissions. Out of 15 stores in our district less than a dozen have been with the company for more than 3 years and some are part timers who work very little just to get their good supplement discount. Most store managers and assistants need a second full time job to make ends meet and because thats so hard to maintain most people quit. For a company whos praised on how deep their pockets are, they have some of the oldest and messed up computer systems from back in the early 90s as well as terrible pay structure. Raises are extremely rare where the company sets it up so that you dont meet or exceed expectations due to their numbers they want. When i started with the company they had 5.5% commission where it was actually decent pay but year after year they cut the commission down more n more where now its 3% on our items and 1.5 on 3rd party brands while promising many items u can make 10% on but yet there hasnt been a week yet where those structures are as promised. They constantly cheat corners and steal money from employees and claim they would look into any commission issues but you will never hear back from them. They constantly send out coupons or have different and better online sales and dont let stores be aware of it and say we have to maintain an outrageous $45 per customer sale when most of the company cant even steadily stay at $35. Those coupons constantly set u up for failure and more n more yelling from up above because numbers arent there. They have so much loopholes in the system is not even funny. Ive worked retail for over 16 years and have never seen a company pay so little for their employees. They costantly claim we pay better than gnc or vitamin shoppe but get their figures by comparing our best stores nationwide to the competitors worst stores. I have so many friends who are into fitness who work for gnc or vitamin shoppe an we compare things and find out they get paid better than us minus all the stress and pressure. One thing i can say this company has taught me is all the product knowledge and to be careful with sneaky retailers like this. They dont care about holidays and threaten you if u dont work on holidays and open on days where literally they think customers will come in to shop n get busy. Most people dont go to vitamin stores on thanksgiving easter, labor day, memorial day but they still insist they will get busy. Year after year figures and sales show that they r losing money on holidays having people to show up to work. Many coworkers i worked with have to shut off cell phone plans because they have to save money somehow since pay here is real bad. Great job for students, but otherwise u honestly cannot make a living working here. Marketing has to be absolutely the worst ive ever seen, they claim to be the largest manufacturer in supplements yet people know gnc and vitamin shoppe more. Month after month they start rebranding or wasting money on bad ads or signs and because theyre losing money on that they continuously make up the losses by taking more money out of the associates pockets whether through commission or making you work off the clock. They get away with a lot of shady stuff and somedays youll be required to work an open to close 12-13 hour shift without any break. If u try to take a break and close doors for 10 15 minutes they write u up. This is a very very slow enviroment where they get average of 15-25 sales a day so its very limited on where u can make commission depending on which shift u work. Most managers know that so schedule themselves on peak hours so the rest like assistants or part timers make an additional .50 cents to 1 dollar extra if that an hour from commissions. They expect u to live around their schedule whether you r full time or part time stating meetings are mandatory and constantly threaten you. – less
Great co-workers and good environment to work in.
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Blasdell, NYDecember 13, 2014
A normal day at work would include helping customers with their needs within seconds of walking in the door. I would let them know about any deals going on and explain anything they did not understand. Working in a vitamin shop with so many products, it is hard to learn about everything, but I did learn so much about most of the vitamins. My co-workers were fun and very informative when I had questions about certain products. The toughest part of the job was learning about the products and trying to keep all the products and their benefits straight. The most enjoyable part was helping people feel better and working with the people I did.
Good overall work environment
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), Columbus, OHDecember 1, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, great work environment, good commission structure
Cons: low base pay
Good place to work and learn about health and wellness through the various types of supplements on the market. Great way to help people achieve and maintain healthy lifestyle choices.
fun place to work
Assistant manager (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALNovember 25, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: short breaks. sometimes it was only me in the store so sometimes i wouldnt be able to take a break
a typical day at work was busy but fun i would be able to greet cusotmers and make ideal customer service relationships with them. i learned a lot about being a manager and doing what needs to be done. my management was ok. she took a lot of vacations and she was very contradictory on her work. my co workers and i got a long great. the hardest part of the job would be explaining every vitamin a person asks about. the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that i got to make someones day just a little bit better.
Learned a lot about merchandising
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Las Cruces NMNovember 16, 2014
Vitamin world is an amazing merchandiser. They produce their own product and have a great retail strategy.
Great place to work.
Retail Associate (Current Employee), Kennewick, WANovember 4, 2014
A typical day at Vitamin World included a lot of learning which was fun because it is something I was very interested in, Health and Fitness. My boss, Sherry is the sweetest lady you will ever meet and also is always on top of her game with everything.. she even goes the extra mile to bring food and water for her employees to have in case it gets too busy. The co-workers there were cool and knew basically everything there is to know about vitamins. The hardest part of the job was trying to say all the big words in spanish but ever since I began working there in April my spanish is better than it has been in a while.
Great company to work for, but pay is on the low side.
Sales-Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Montclair, CAOctober 29, 2014
A typical day of work would be completing and filing morning paper work from the day prior containing total sales, transactions, and units per transactions. Compute new daily sales totals, percentage to goal, percentage to last years goal, transactions, and percentages of key items sold. The morning paper work also contains information that needs to be reviewed, such as negative items on hand, price – more... changes,p.o. orders for shipments, and more. Next would be to read, print, and file store updates, new emails from District Manager. From here the store deposit will be made to the bank then filed and any change needed for the store will be gathered. A personal and store sales tracking sheet will be created for the day and constantly updated upon new sales. Then, execution of excellent customer service is critical and must be in accordance to companies standards at all times. Every sale must consist of a program containing 3 items plus an add on product. As a manager I am required to maintain a store performance that meets company goal, maintain a professional appearance, motivate and manage staff in completing their daily sales goal and task. Finally, compute and log individual and store sales performance for the day and send to the District Manager. Execute a register cash count, review starting and deduct starting bank,and make deposit.

I have learned the importance of tracking in the field of business, excellent management skills, team work, excellent knowledge in nutrition, excellent customer service skills,time management, the importance of having a great positive energy in the work place, calculations, importance of being goal orientation, and very aggressive sales experience.

I have managed and worked with excellent co-workers and obtain great friendships with them, outside of work.

I can't think of a particular area of the job as the hardest part, because I never like to think of something as difficult to accomplish. I will say time management is key to completing daily task.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the gains of business, sales strategies, marketing,and tracking knowledge. I also enjoyed the great relationships I had built with customers. – less
Easy/a lot of downtime, but rewarding with sales and commission
Store Manager (Current Employee), Sugar Land, TXOctober 27, 2014
Pros: discount on supplements
Cons: alot of down time
This company has taught me a lot. I have grown as a manager with tons of learned knowledge. I have learned a lot of on hands operations.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), St. AugustineOctober 16, 2014
Pros: discounts, customers, great balance
Cons: future
Great place to work, great environment and staff. Love everyday of it and love helping the customers out. Upper management has some issues but overall its a good company. Just worried about the future of the company.
great environment
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Fairfield, CAOctober 15, 2014
great place to help the customers at they ease and put a smile on their face.
Productive and fun work environment
Store Manager (Former Employee), NevadaSeptember 7, 2014
Great company to work for! Adequate staffing and training provided. Great balance of work and home life.
great potental just dreadfully mismanaged
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Sevierville, TNSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: great product. excellent benifits
Cons: mismanaged at the top
this company has everything going for it and could be the most powerful company in its class but this company just does not know what it has and how to put it out there. Heres a clue: advertise what you have and your amazing quality and prices. do what f'n GNC does theyare twice the price but people still shop there. and pay your managers more they deserve it
Enjoyable and wonderful hands on experience with selling
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 21, 2014
At Vitamin World, I was tested on my knowledge of their products. Then was able to sell the products and educate my customers. I love being able to be personable with the customers, and I especially loved keeping up with all my regulars. I got a lot of joy when the customers would come back bragging on how well the product is working for them. I have learned an exceptionable amount of information on different herbs, minerals, amino acids, nutrition, pre- and post-workouts, and vitamins.

About Vitamin World

Nutrition starts at the source. This has been our philosophy ever since we opened our doors in 1976, and wellness has always been – Read more

Vitamin World Salaries