Vitamin World Employee Reviews in United States

Awful
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNOctober 5, 2015
Wages have gone down several times in the time I've been employed, and each time corporate sends a memo stating that they are re-configuring our commission and base pay to optimize it for us as employees. They say they are giving us pay cuts like it's a favor to us. Several stores have closed around the country in the last few months leading us to believe that the company is failing. The level of micromanaging is unbelievable, to the point that we get memos instructing us about the order our training and sales binders must be in behind the desk. Employees and store managers aren't trusted by corporate and the pay shows how little employees are appreciated. I enjoy the store I work at because of my direct supervisor and my co-workers but overall I would never recommend working with this company.
Pros
The store-brand products are of really good quality and are easy to sell.
Cons
Everything else.
Great job for those intreested in health and fitness
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MAMarch 21, 2016
I enjoy working here. I have a nice boss and a nice coworker. They provide pretty flexible hours. I don't like the sales part of the job because you need to keep up with your average sale with customers and I'm not a pushy kind of person.
Great co-workers and good environment to work in.
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Blasdell, NYDecember 13, 2014
A normal day at work would include helping customers with their needs within seconds of walking in the door. I would let them know about any deals going on and explain anything they did not understand. Working in a vitamin shop with so many products, it is hard to learn about everything, but I did learn so much about most of the vitamins. My co-workers were fun and very informative when I had questions about certain products. The toughest part of the job was learning about the products and trying to keep all the products and their benefits straight. The most enjoyable part was helping people feel better and working with the people I did.
Ok
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Morgantown Mall, Morgantown, WVJune 15, 2015
I learned a lot about the unique items in the store. There was always a lot of customer interaction. Management was horrible for most of my time there. They later got fired. I enjoyed talking to the customers the most. This job relied on understanding and determining the customers need so your could help them with the information needed to make the sale and make them happy. All my coworkers and I got along great. They were friendly and we still get together sometimes outside of the workplace. Work day was talking to customers, managing the inventories, daily cash reports, and a lot of cleaning and reworking shelving and facings.
Pros
Fun, interaction
Cons
management, non flexibility
Horrible compensation for ANY management position.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  LouisannaAugust 11, 2014
This company is the worst paying company for management being it an assistant manager or store manager. The company makes it out that the commission and bonus paid is worthwhile and it could be if the stores were making plan and making goal. Over 75% of the stores have not made goal since January which means management doesn't bonus. The company saturates the markets with coupons so much that customers stock up for months and foot traffic is very light in the stores. $12 an hour for a SM position company wide regardless of your experience is degrading in my opinion. However you if your looking to get into the health and wellness industry, it's a good start.
Pros
laid back environment
Cons
compensation is that of a high school associate pay
Good, with room for improvment.
Second Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Monroe, MIMay 7, 2015
The job is rewarding and does have many benefits. However; the pay is lacking compared to what is expected of associates as well as managers.
A good job to start with
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, floridaMarch 22, 2015
Its a good base job to start with as you go by growing on sales and product knowledge on nutritional health. good compensation on sales and bonuses.

cons: Constantly changing hourly schedules
Pros
good compensation, and knowlegede on nutritional products
Cons
reduce commission and unbalance team work.
Great overall business, poorly placed.
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVOctober 12, 2015
This company offered commissions within sales, it gave me the opportunity to increase my knowledge of sales and marketing hands-on. Although i enjoyed the extensive training that i had to go through as a newly hired employee, the store was placed in an area that lacked much business. I felt as though i was so thoroughly trained in sales and background knowledge of the products but was not able to apply that knowledge due to the lack of business.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 31, 2015
• Provide fitness, health and nutrition culture.
• Provide positive work as well as shopping environment embracing diversity plus promote sales.
• Develop suitable schedules on basis of business requirements and payroll guidelines.
• Maintain effective communication as well as collaborate with District Manager plus home office.
• Manage all expense within established budget.
• Protect as well as maintain organizational assets plus resources to incorporate inventory, physical plant and fixtures.
• Implement and conduct people practices to assist growth of individual, company and team.
• Convey effectively and present life for company values, vision and store’s expectations.
• Implement and maintain promotional, operational and visual or merchandise standards plus initiatives.
• Ensure stores along with work areas are clean, secure plus well maintained.
$$ Corporate Cow $$
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 9, 2013
NBTY was recently ordered by the court as a result of a whistleblower investigation to compensate its employees for meal/break violations; that is to say, district and regional management routinely forced staff to override time to eliminate overtime and did not allow timely breaks ( to appear more profitable.) No problem for NBTY, as they simply reduced commission a full 1% to pay for all those court-ordered checks NBTY forced to pay out for violations. (My check was over $1200 and I only worked there 2 years at time of payout...that's how gross court found violations to be.) Low wages-made about 35K/year as store manager; compare to Hollister at 70K/year. Great benefits. High pressure sales job for comparatively little pay. Profits before people culture.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
low wages, high pressure sales
High Energy and Healthy Workplace
Assistant Manager / Nutritional Advisor (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJune 28, 2013
Through my six years I have been able to continue my learning outside of the classroom and in the workplace. What I have learned was more than just management skills but how to live a healthy and meaningful life. When working with customers I was not just a clerk but instead a listener and then a problem solver. I would work on finding my "clients" what it was that would help with their needs and looking forward to the next time they came in with news of great results and continued customer satisfaction.
Pros
great employee benefits, flexible scheduling
Cons
difficult to take breaks during shifts, no advancement opportunities
very great job
Asociado de Ventas (Former Employee) –  Ponce, PRFebruary 25, 2016
is one of the best job i have . i learn every i now about sales associate. i have the opportunity to teaching a team . i like work with team .
Rewarding
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Monaca, PANovember 3, 2015
I would do normal management job functions. You must be sales driven because you have sales goals, daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly. Management was great and co-workers were easy to work with and helpful.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
had to travel to far
Great Company
Sales and Health Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLJanuary 18, 2016
Excellent company. Hardworking people, motivated and driven. Pay was good and employee concerns are met. Managers and staff are fun to work with.
Vitamin and supplement retailer
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHOctober 17, 2013
Began career as Asst. Store Mgr, and promoted to own store.
Reviewed and logged daily activities for store; interviewed, hired and developed staff; consulted with and helped customers take control of their health with appropriate information and supplements. Really built a great customer base with personalized service. Order and receive shipments; control inventory with minimal shrinkage in a mall setting. Kept current with educational materials for industry as a whole.
Pros
managers were given a nice compensation pkg based on effort and results attained.
Cons
keeping the store staffed with enthusiastic and honest persons.
Excellent Company with High Employee Value
First Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Babylon, NYMay 4, 2013
Vitamin World, owned by NBTY, Inc. values its employees and ensures proper training in order to allow each associate to perform to the best of their ability. Advancement within the company can sometimes hit a stalemate due to technological inefficiency and a complex system of employee data management. On a retail level, base pay could be a little higher, as it is not a salaried position, even on an assistant manager level.
Pros
benefits, commision, excellent training
Cons
lower base pay
Wonderful place to work
1st Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 25, 2013
Days are long. Learning about the benefits of the different supplements and herbals are some of the best knowledge out there especially if you are able to help those that are not able to use perscriptions. The hardest part of the job is not having enough bodies during the busy time and not having the support for training of operations. The most enjoyable part about the job is being able to HELP the customers. The love that is shared of the job and with the customers makes them come back looking for you and gives you the comfort of knowing that you made a difference. When making there visit feel comfortable and enjoyable is always the goal with the knowledge they need to continue with there regerments. Always remember each customer is different and to explain the supplements to them it what they want and need.

I LOVE VITAMIN WORLD AND WHAT IT STANDS FOR.
Pros
knowledge of supplements
Cons
no regular, continous stability in schedule (not for all)
Great introductory job for sales experience.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJanuary 3, 2013
Decent balance of pay based on performace. Had a store manager that sincerely cared about my well-being and my personal development. Really enjoyed being able to provide natural health benefits to people but became more and more difficult when legislation made the promotion of some really great products very difficult. Typical day of work mostly revolved around greeting customers and interpreting their needs and then trying to find the best solution to their needs. Some stocking/cleaning involved as well.
Productive and enjoyable
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge , VaMarch 6, 2014
A typical day would include interacting with customers and finding solutions' to their personal health concerns , making a positive difference . Training on the product and learning about different way to supplement the body . Management and co-workers made work fun and a great environment . The hardest part of the job would be learning all the product , it pays off in the end .
Pros
good breaks, good discount, and good customer service experience
Cons
no benefits if you work less then 32 hours per week, no fixed schedules
Help others
Nutritional Advisor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 19, 2015
I enjoy helping people to determine there needs. I have also learned a lot about supplements for health and sports nutrition.
Pros
Comission
Cons
Do not always allow time for breaks.