Vitamin World Employee Reviews in United States

First Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAMay 3, 2014
Overall it is a good place to work if you like retail and can handle hitting your daily sales goals. Its fun working with customers and making sure they get the right product. If you are a good salesperson you can make decent money and the company does provide you with benefits. Only downside is the retail hours.
Pros
weekly pay and discounts
Cons
retail hours
Great training on products but constant pressure on stats and numbers is a real pain.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  paDecember 15, 2014
Great staff to work with once youre settled, but no room for advancement. They make us dress professional and want us to sell with passion and professionalism but pay us like burger flippers. They con u into saying u can make a certain amount of dollars extra per hour with sales which is complete lies because it has to do with what shifts you work. All the higher ups care about is numbers and not the reality of things. Depending on area your store is its very unlikely to move up to a great position where you can make a living. Company has a crazy turn over ratio for a reason due to very very low pay and butter u up by promising commissions and bonuses which are rare for most in my district due to sales goals that are just ridiculous with the decline of customers and traffic. Store managers honestly in our district only make about 10.50 to 13.00 an hour and maybe total on the good side low 20 thousand a year after factoring in commissions. Out of 15 stores in our district less than a dozen have been with the company for more than 3 years and some are part timers who work very little just to get their good supplement discount. Most store managers and assistants need a second full time job to make ends meet and because thats so hard to maintain most people quit. For a company whos praised on how deep their pockets are, they have some of the oldest and messed up computer systems from back in the early 90s as well as terrible pay structure. Raises are extremely rare where the company sets it up so that you dont meet or exceed expectations due to their numbers they want. When i started  more... with the company they had 5.5% commission where it was actually decent pay but year after year they cut the commission down more n more where now its 3% on our items and 1.5 on 3rd party brands while promising many items u can make 10% on but yet there hasnt been a week yet where those structures are as promised. They constantly cheat corners and steal money from employees and claim they would look into any commission issues but you will never hear back from them. They constantly send out coupons or have different and better online sales and dont let stores be aware of it and say we have to maintain an outrageous $45 per customer sale when most of the company cant even steadily stay at $35. Those coupons constantly set u up for failure and more n more yelling from up above because numbers arent there. They have so much loopholes in the system is not even funny. Ive worked retail for over 16 years and have never seen a company pay so little for their employees. They costantly claim we pay better than gnc or vitamin shoppe but get their figures by comparing our best stores nationwide to the competitors worst stores. I have so many friends who are into fitness who work for gnc or vitamin shoppe an we compare things and find out they get paid better than us minus all the stress and pressure. One thing i can say this company has taught me is all the product knowledge and to be careful with sneaky retailers like this. They dont care about holidays and threaten you if u dont work on holidays and open on days where literally they think customers will come in to shop n get busy. Most people dont go to vitamin stores on thanksgiving easter, labor day, memorial day but they still insist they will get busy. Year after year figures and sales show that they r losing money on holidays having people to show up to work. Many coworkers i worked with have to shut off cell phone plans because they have to save money somehow since pay here is real bad. Great job for students, but otherwise u honestly cannot make a living working here. Marketing has to be absolutely the worst ive ever seen, they claim to be the largest manufacturer in supplements yet people know gnc and vitamin shoppe more. Month after month they start rebranding or wasting money on bad ads or signs and because theyre losing money on that they continuously make up the losses by taking more money out of the associates pockets whether through commission or making you work off the clock. They get away with a lot of shady stuff and somedays youll be required to work an open to close 12-13 hour shift without any break. If u try to take a break and close doors for 10 15 minutes they write u up. This is a very very slow enviroment where they get average of 15-25 sales a day so its very limited on where u can make commission depending on which shift u work. Most managers know that so schedule themselves on peak hours so the rest like assistants or part timers make an additional .50 cents to 1 dollar extra if that an hour from commissions. They expect u to live around their schedule whether you r full time or part time stating meetings are mandatory and constantly threaten you.  less
Pros
training/learning the field
Cons
very bad pay, higher ups micromanage so much and only want numbers.
Good work environment with plenty of encouragement
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bohemia, NYMarch 15, 2014
I would rate this company a good starter job for an introduction into the work place. I was provided training and offered plenty of opportunity to learn other aspect of the job. When I broke my hands the staff was supportive and encouraging.
Pros
supportive co-workers and management
Cons
pay rate.
if you are not a goal oriented person and like low volume sales this is the company for you
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 27, 2014
Typical day was reading email for updates/price changes
paperwork ( very little )
cleaning shelves looking for dated products
Customer interaction
Was a very slow work environment lots of down time .
Pros
lots of time for customer service
Cons
upper management interaction and training on policies
Amazing place
Assistant Manager (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHAugust 13, 2014
When opening, would make sure all sales for the day are current. The last nights deposit was good, management was amazing to work for, hardest part was convincing every customer to step in, most enjoyable is knowing a program is going to be used to change someones life for the better.
Disappointing.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 10, 2013
I was offered a job in management and decided it was a great leap. Almost 3 months into the job was bullied and was told " to look for a new job because the new manager was going to give someone else my job. Currently being investigated by HR and no longer employed.
Pros
i love nutrition and sales
Cons
pour management
Productivity is amazing every day
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  PRMay 13, 2014
Every day all is sales and organization.
All day is learned because every day is different.
I like the managment because every day is new
I learning for may co-workers because I like help the people.
Maintance the average for sales and Unit per transaction.
I enjoy the sales.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short breaks
Vitamin World was a great place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodburn, ORNovember 28, 2013
At Vitamin World you were trained in every part of the job/product you needed to do the best job for the customer and the employee.
They worked hard to make the job as fun and then profitable for the business and the employee.
Pros
free product, great benefits (heathcare, retirement(401k).
Cons
short breaks, long work days.
Good general company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PAMay 1, 2014
Its a great company to work for. You not only receive employee benefits but an employee discount which was a very nice one. The company also sends out holiday gift cards as a thank you for your service. If you get put into a location with low traffic it is hard to get noticed to move up in the company.
Easy and fun job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Moody AFBNovember 16, 2013
Spend the day tending to customers needs, giving them nutritional advice. After taking many tests to get certified and a nutritionist at the store I have learned about all different vitamins, herbs, and supplements and what they are good for. The management is nice and easy to work with, they are flexible with schedules.
Great place to work.
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Kennewick, WANovember 4, 2014
A typical day at Vitamin World included a lot of learning which was fun because it is something I was very interested in, Health and Fitness. My boss, Sherry is the sweetest lady you will ever meet and also is always on top of her game with everything.. she even goes the extra mile to bring food and water for her employees to have in case it gets too busy. The co-workers there were cool and knew basically everything there is to know about vitamins. The hardest part of the job was trying to say all the big words in spanish but ever since I began working there in April my spanish is better than it has been in a while.
Fun and Upbeat! - Vitamin World -Wilmington NC
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 12, 2015
The job was just a blast. Working with moms who wanted to be fit all the way to the body builder who needed to gain mass was just a fun rush. Being the assistant manager of Vitamin World I was able to create goals not just for myself, but for the staff to skyrocket our sales goals for the store.
Pros
constant progressing, no income cap
Cons
no cons but you must be willing to work and work weekends.
Good entry-level management position, but the company is going backwards.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 13, 2014
I managed two different stores for almost five years there. My DM was fantastic, but then again, I did my job. Those who complain about their management are typically lazy. If you do what you're supposed to do and have some semblance of selling skills, your DM will leave you alone. I enjoyed my store and my staff, and my customers (for the most part). It's a great way to get into store management because once you learn how, the store practically runs itself. Loved learning about supplements too. Feels rewarding when customers tell you about their good experience with something.

Biggest issue is that the company as a whole is turning toward a selling model that hasn't worked since the 1950s. Consumers don't favor one-on-one customer service anymore, they want value. 9 out of 10 people will laugh in your face for trying to get their name in a conversation at a vitamin store. Your DM oversells a customer, "shows you how to do it", and then the customer returns the product the next day when the DM is gone. VW needs to get back to basics, and instead of hiring robots that know how to read scripts, they need to get people that know how to sell product. Not following the company's selling scripts I always beat their goals and exceeded expectations.

And as I said before, entry-level at best. There is a HUGE gap between store manager and district manager (which is logically your next step), and the company is structured in a way that allows very little room for growth beyond store manager unless you're there for 10 years or more. And if you're like me, by the time you hit 24 and want
  more... to move on with your life, hourly pay plus commission is not enough to support yourself (or a family) on.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my job but moved on at the right time.
Pros
learn about supplements, great pay for part timers, great entry-level management job, customer base is usually good, work with nice people
Cons
low pay for store managers, benefits are pricey, no room for growth beyond sm, company not moving in the right direction (in my opinion)
Productive, knowledgable, and fun place to work
Assistant Manager/ Associate (Current Employee) –  kahului, hiJanuary 20, 2014
A typical day at Vitamin World, consist on following the Vitamin World commitment steps with every customer. Talking to every customer on a personal level, providing him or her with a knowledge base of which supplement programs would best fit his/her needs. I have learned and obtained a deep knowledge of all the vitamins, herbs and supplements we carry.
My manager is a wonderful and fun person to work with, we perform practice skills daily to ensure we are treating every customer as our own family member.
The most difficult part of the job would be learning and retaining all the information about the hundreds of supplements we carry.
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new and interesting people that come onto the store daily.
Not a work for a life time
vendedor (Current Employee) –  Cayey. Puerto RicoJuly 30, 2014
In Vitamin World we learn a lot on anything to do with maintain a quality with clients and now how to work with supplements and there benefits for every aspect of my life
Pros
good training
Cons
not pro-employ
awesome work environment that thrives on passion
Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 27, 2013
My job at vitamin world was at the perfect time with the perfect people. I enjoy everyday going to work and look forward to clocking in. my co workers share similar outlook as i do so it makes conversations easy to have. My manager is a cool guy hes really laid back but strict when necessary which is good for me since i'm very goal orientated and don't need to be reminded of our mission or goal. There really is no "hard part" to my job so i cant complain it gets monotonousness but only on slow days.
Pros
works well with my life style and future goals
Cons
not nearly enough hours
Educational Experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Stroudsburg, PAMarch 14, 2012
Vitamin World (NBTY) educates their employees about vitamins and herbs as well as training their employees to sell their products. Vitamin World is a good company to work for if you have the drive to sell.
Pros
discounts on vitamins; flexible hours, salary plus commission
Cons
low pay
Learning Information of the vitamin and their benefits
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bayamon PRNovember 26, 2012
Love to work with this company . I did learned a lot about vitamins and their benefits. Good and flexible hours and Benefits. Made alot of god friends in this company.
Fun job. Learned something each day about vitamins and other health products.
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CADecember 5, 2012
I managed the store which required me to create the weekly schedules, hire and train. I greeted customers and answered their questions and sold them the products. I took in inventory, stocked shelves, dusted and organized products, placed orders for new inventory, opened and closed the register, and made bank deposits. The employees were friendly and we were a good team. Sometimes I was unaware of a customers question but we had reference books and computer to help find answers. It was fun to learn more and more while on the job. I also enjoy interacting with people.
Pros
the education one gets from learning about the products. talking with people.
A learning place.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILMay 20, 2015
Your goal everyday was to help each customer with their supplement needs. You want them to maximize their supplemental needs to maximize their health.. That was a pleasurable experience.