VITAS Health Care

VITAS Health Care Employee Reviews

a very enlightening and challenging environment
RN, Case Manager (Current Employee), Naples, FLMay 2, 2015
I would see between 5-6 patients daily, provide nursing assessments, med management,provide support to patients and families,end of life care, patient advocate, mentoring staff in a team environment,liaison between patients, families,doctors, social workers and chaplains
Awsome supportive staff who engages in active listening to work in a productive manner
Staff-Coordinator/Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee), Covina, CAMay 1, 2015
A typical day at Vitas Hospice includes an array of multitasking in each department that I was committed to- Medical Record Filing/Staff Coordination. I learned the importance to handle each day with a sense of urgency and to keep information confidential. The co-workers were very supportive in gauging the correct amount of work needed to be completed in a regular work day. The hardest part of the job was to remain constantly composed on the idea in handling end-of-life care. The most enjoyable part of the job was the constant reassurance that each day is important and to trust in each others work ethic to work effectively.
A LEARNING EXPERIENCE.
Administrative Assistant/Bookkeeper (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 28, 2015
Pros: WORK HOURS
Cons: NO ADVANCEMENT
THIS JOB GIVE ME GREAT LEARNING SKILLS IN HOSPICE CARE. I WORKED MY OWN HOURS AND PLAYED MY DAY. I HAD A GREAT TEAM TO WORK WITH.
Very Poor Management And No Compensation
Medical Records Reviewer (Current Employee), Shrewsbury, NJApril 17, 2015
Pros: patient care
Cons: Staffing, no raises in years, and very poorly managed
This company, especially the Shrewsbury New Jersey office is poorly managed. They make their employees do more than one position at a time and do not financially compensate them at all! The Home Health aides get pushed traveling all over the place, the office staff has to do multiple positions at a time and they haven't given any raises in four years! Patient care is okay but there are other Hospice care places much better!
A great start
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Tinley Park, ILApril 13, 2015
Taco Bell was my First job at the age of 18 it was very exciting to be a shift manager running and operating the store and staff. Taco Bell helped develop great Leadership skills in me!
Waste of Time Corporate dont care or stand behind workers.
Staff RN IPU (Current Employee), Phila,Nazareth HospitalApril 7, 2015
Pros: great co-workers who put their all into the pts care
Cons: mgmt, corporate short staffing workers = pt, workers safety and well being compromised
The staff are a great bunch of people, love my fellow co workers, ( my past mgr is a great loving person who knows her job well and is a role model for a hospice nurse to follow) but mgmt, corporate could care less about pt safety, nurses and their safety. we work understaffed constantly and pts suffer as result. Im on my way out...no raises in 3 yrs and they are not much at all when gotten, you only get 3 holidays a year and when you do most times you have to work 2 out of 3...I dont recommend applying to anyone its waste of time , advancement is not pay rewarding and too much put on your plate for too less money. we had mold issues on the unit and were UNAWARE until a Pt family member made a complaint, the next day the unit was shut down and is still today and working out of another unit until they find a solution....there has been NO explanation to staff as of WHEN we will be going back and ALL our staff are suffering as a result of this being cancelled and not getting full pays.
NONE
Patient Care Secretary (Former Employee), Miami, FLApril 7, 2015
VITAS A COMPANY THAT TRULY CARES FOR ALL THEIR PATIENTS AND I REALLY ENJOYED WORKING FOR THEM, AND HELPING THE PATIENTS AND FALIMILIES IN NEED.
Customer Service
Patient Care Secretary/Volunteer (Current Employee), New Lenox, ILMarch 28, 2015
great place to work, friendly staff, work was fun and I got to talk to a lot of people. I was well trained and enjoyed my job.
A professional organization that has as its mission to have families and patients first, to take care of each other, and to always do your best.
Hospice Social Worker (Former Employee), Boynton Beach, FLMarch 21, 2015
Pros: you contribute to an atmosphere of professionalism.
Cons: you must take on on-call 2 nights every month and that can cause stress.
Ability to continue to learn new things about health care. A One health care provided by top notch staff. Always feel like you are improving the quality of life for your terminal patients.

As an employee, you experience autonomy in planning your schedule every day.

You are always part of an interdisciplinary team.
Challenging and rewarding job.
RN Case Manager (Current Employee), Riverside, CAMarch 20, 2015
The work is challenging and rewarding. I enjoy the families and co-workers very much. I feel that I have gained valuable experience with VITAS.
Not a bad place to work
RN Case Manager, Triage, and Inpatient Unit (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 18, 2015
Pros: close to home, short commute
Cons: evening hours
The hardest part of the job is speaking with angry customers.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to provide assistance to our patients and caregivers.
Cares not only about the patient but their employees
Licensed Vocational Nurse/Continuous Care (Former Employee), Encino, CaliforniaMarch 14, 2015
Continuous care nurse for this company, day starts 4pm-12 midnight.

I learned everything I knew about hospice with this company. They had a great management team, well organized and the co-workers were simple amazing. Hardest part of my job was to watch the dying patient and see the pain the families were going through. I enjoyed taking care of the dying families and the support I got not only from management but also my co-worker.
Disorganized, poorly managed, dishonest representation to employees and clients
RN Case Manager-FT (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 11, 2015
From the onset, I realized the position was misrepresented in regards to workload, support, and travel radius. Very little training given to manage patient needs to include port access and maintenance, wound care, and system drains. Additional records given without instructions for use or documentation. Limited coverage of patient care for ill or vacationing employees. Patients usually thankful for care, education, and supplies.
Great place to work and fun people to work for
Home Health Aide (Former Employee), Shrewsbury, NJFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: great place to work and great benefits
Cons: traveling could be more clumped together so there is less wear and tear on your vehicl
This is a great place to work the administrative and employees are great with their clients and well trained. My experience as an employee was great if I hadn't had to move to Vermont I would still be working for them. Please move the business to Vermont so I can go back to work foryou.
Hospice Aide
Hospice Aide (Former Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: being a part of a delicate situation and doing all i an do to make it easier.
Cons: cleaning the patient after death
 Assist with recording patient vitals and all fluid intake and output. Colostomy and Foley Catheter care
• Deliver appropriate skin, hair, oral, foot and nail care as directed by Nurse Manager. Provide bed bath, shower or tub bath as appropriate
• Ambulation care and body alignment positioning. Aid with range of motion exercises
Patience
STATE TESTED NURSING ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Brooklyn, OHFebruary 2, 2015
What I learned from this position is patience. Caring for terminally ill people was a very difficult job and required empathy, compassion and patience.
Productive, warm and welcoming environment
Counseling Intern / Volunteer (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: work environment
Cons: mental anguish / grief
Every day is different, so always have to be ready for change due to the nature of the work
Learning how to work not only with the patient but the dynamics of the family and be respectful and understanding of their views and beliefs.
Co-workers are all very supportive and encouraging, always willing to help
Hardest part is the death of the patient and the effects it has on the family as well as the team that works with them.
The best part is knowing I am making a difference in someone's life and helping them
Interesting patient mix /good RN staffHigh standards
Team Physician (Former Employee), Lombard, ILJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: interesting patient mix
High standards for patient care, good RN staff, interesting patient mix. I enjoyed my time there.
Vitas is a very good place to work with a flexible schedule and friendly environment. There is room for advancement anf job security. I worked PT at
Triage Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: micromanagement
I was a Triage nurse for the Telecare call centet which is a 24 hour hotline for patients and family on the hospice program. I love the supportive role and found it very rewarding.
Helping People
Patient Care Secretary (Current Employee), Encino, CAJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day ay my job is never boring. I've learned how to master my multitasking skills, as well as customer service. Management is supportive and will provide help and guidance when asked. My co-workers are great. We all work as a team and help each other when needed. Being a team player and offering help when able is the foundation of building a great department.

I work in Hospice care. Its hard not to get attached to families and clients that are under our care and service. Speaking to families who have lost loved ones, is the hardest part of this job. On the brighter side, it's a remarkable feeling knowing that people who choose to live out the rest of their lives at home with their loved ones, are able to do so with the help of Hospice care. I find great reward hearing how families are grateful for the support they are offered before, during, and after Hospice care.

Healthcare is my passion, helping people is what I love doing.