Viterra Employee Reviews

productive
labourer (Former Employee) –  Ardrossan SAMay 22, 2016
weigh trucks as they enter weighbridge then enter details in computer and letting driver know where to drop off.
when trucks have finished then weigh truck and enter entry into computer and give driver the receipt
Cons
season work
A good foundation to set up a life long career
Terminal Operator (Current Employee) –  Adelaide, SANovember 1, 2014
I have been with the company for 5 years now but need a break from the long hours and lack of personal life. It's a challenging and rewarding career that I have started but I'm at a stage in my life where I need to spend some time to focus on me for a while. Hence me moving to the UK.
I am going to miss my co-workers immensely, along with the security of being with the same company for so many years.
Management was good considering the company being so large, but the supervisors were amazing and cared for workers individually. I felt I could always approach them about anything.
I learnt a lot within this company, skills and knowledge that is definitely going to assist me in my future such as; working within a large group of people, working hard for my money, working to a deadline, that's just to name a few things.
Pros
a solid income being full time, also sick leave and holiday leave
Cons
long hours, no weekends, no christmas holidays
Ability to improve skills and reach management level is encouraged.
Contract Entry/Admin Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SAMarch 5, 2013
Dedicated people creating good working environment
Management /monitoring team of six staff -data entry& support
data into Grainsmart/Excel support systems.
Have achieved success in training /management-mentoring and motivating staff to excel in administratvie office support skills.
Co-operative staff/Management.
Impletmentation of change of process and co-ordination with IT was a difficult but rewarding experience
Being part of a skilled/efficient team where friendship/teamwork is of optimum importance was very enjoyable.
Pros
good salary
Cons
long hours required-during christmas period
Awesome place to work with friendly co-workers and steady a steady work pace.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Bow Island, ABDecember 26, 2015
I did your typical general labour work loading bags of beans into semi trucks, stacking pallets of beans, sweeping shops, and unloading farmers semis of beans during harvest. I generally enjoy labour work as it keeps me busy and helps the days go by alot quicker when im kept hard at work.
Administartor assistant
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Footscray VICJanuary 10, 2016
Loved working here as I was left to run the office along with Husband( store manager). I also helped in there store and liased with head office in Adelaide.
Made some good friends and still are
Pros
lovely staff/reps
Cons
new managemnet came
Pretty much mandatory overtime
Facility Assistant (Former Employee) –  SaskatchewanJune 6, 2014
Pros - Meeting lots of people, dealing with complex situations,

Cons- Upper management ruled the facility, unlimited but highly encouraged overtime

Great group of guys to work with, benefits are okay, overtime was only 1.5 times base

Being accountable for upper management decisions was also a detrimental factor, and having to work some ridiculous hours because of these decisions.
good place to work, great team of people
Core Infrastructure Analyst (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SAFebruary 13, 2013
typically not a stressful job, systems are quite stable and not too many nasty surprises come up. learned a lot about a range of different systems and technical areas that I had previous not had any experience with. good management team with direction and approachability. great co-workers, this is what really made the place a good place to come to everyday. hardest part of the job is problem solving a complex and unexpected system outage but rarely happens. most enjoyable part of the job is getting recognised by clients and customers for your hard work and management acknowledging our efforts
Pros
great team of people
Cons
location not great and ageing facilities in some areas
Production
Sales & Marketing (Former Employee) –  Mt WellingtonFebruary 9, 2013
No support from senior management.
Constant changing of goalposts.
Nepotism.
Management not open to correction.
Negative blame culture.
Pros
operational staff genuinely helpful
Cons
lack of support from senior management. managers passing the buck.
International shipping
Rail Cars Operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 8, 2014
Do various jobs on daily basis which make it unique.You learn a lot of safety procedures at work and how to work smarter not hard.Management treat workers nice and workers are like family members ..Pretty much the job is easy if you follow procedures per management and can be hard if you mix up different products going to the boat.
Pros
once or twice we have free bbq or lunches from company and christmas parties every year
Cons
work different shifts every two weeks and sometimes overtime weekends
Facility Assistant
Facility Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carseland and Indus, AlbertaMay 19, 2014
Assisted, as part of a team of 5-10 people, in the day to day operation of a large inland grain terminal. Typically we would receive, process and ship cereal grains and oilseeds. I learned how to grade grain, clean grain, operate the necessary machinery. Safety training, grading training, on going policy and procedure training. Hardest part was having to load rail cars in any and all kinds of weather, working at heights of 25' plus. Most enjoyable part was meeting and dealing with the customers.
Pros
good salary and benefits.
Cons
working in all types of weather.
processing plant
Maintenance/Millwright (Former Employee) –  Barrhead, ABAugust 8, 2012
I worked for 2 1/2 years for this company doing millwright work and maintenance and was promised an apprenticeship then for some reason had the promise taken away. I worked hard, gave them my loyalty and received nothing in return. My supervisor was behind me but upper management wasn't so I chose to move on since my hard work didn't mean anything to them.
An okay place to work
Grain Operator (Former Employee) –  Rudall, SAAugust 14, 2014
A typical day would be doing what I was told to do
I learnt more skills than I already have
Management wasn't too good, no communication
Co-workers had no respect for each other
Hardest part of my job was working with the people I worked with
Most enjoyable part of my job was getting to work by myself
Great company to work for, room for growth, excellent position and management.
Carbon Credit Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg ManitobaMay 14, 2013
Working with the Alberta government to ensure the carbon credit program is compliant within the laws. Management was great, really lead and let you make recommendations and take on tasks as your own.
Pros
room for position growth and great atmosphere.
Cons
company got bought out and moved.
Do not work for the greenhouse
Greenhouse Tech II (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SkJuly 3, 2013
This is by far the worst place I have ever worked in my entire life. The company overall seems like a good place to work, but the greenhouse is full of drama. They have created a clique and want to be in control of everything. They make it extremely hard for you to show your worth and when things go wrong (even if it could be a result from casual employees or a combination of everyone) they place the blame on the new person if they don't like you. They claim to be very flexible, but there is NO flexibility once your employment begins. So unless you're willing to dedicate your ENTIRE life to this place and want to be a mule, I would suggest looking for employment elsewhere!
Hard working environment
General Hand (Former Employee) –  mannum SA 5238March 1, 2015
early starts to beat the heat and wind, very strict on rules and regulations, must were hard hats at all times as there are drive over hoppers and machinery all around, everyone works in a team, casual work but you must keep on your feet as there are a line up of trucks to be unloaded, very reliable and organised company, i mostly enjoyed working with others
Pros
finishing early, great pay
Cons
working in long selves on hot days/ seasonal work
Grateful that the company provided me lots of opportunity to develop and grow my skills/experience.
Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 19, 2014
Typical work day consisted of arriving promptly at work to check emails and voicemails. The day would be organized from the previous day, but most times the day's agenda would change significantly due to unexpected dealings with internal and external contacts regarding products, services, contracts, issues, new projects, assignments from management. Once unexpected items were dealt with, I regained focus on the original day's agenda.

My company went through several mergers and acquisitions. I feel one of the most important lessons I learned from working for this company was to keep working hard and to maintain a positive attitude. As a result, change and keeping an open mind resulted in great opportunities for me.

I reported to a Purchasing Manager. He allowed me to work autonomously, yet brought my team together on a regular basis to obtain updates on one another's work, update us on the direction of the department/company, to brainstorm. My manager was supportive and encouraged us to work independently and make our own decisions.

My management and direct co-workers were located in another province from me so we stayed in close contact through email, telephone, and regular monthly meetings. My co-workers were very supportive and we had a great respect for each other and our work. We each brought something valuable to the department. I still maintain these relationships.

One of the greatest challenges of the job was convincing employees to comply with preferred suppliers and programs, and then to have them maintain that compliance over time.

The most enjoyable parts of
  more... the job were finding ways to help the company save money and assisting departments with what they need in order to achieve their goals.  less
Pros
benefits, annual bonuses, pension.
Cons
company was sold and lots of positions were eliminated.
if ou are prepared to work long hours in a hot dusty and male dominated industry, you will enjoy the job
wieghbridge operator sampler/classifier (Current Employee) –  Main site Crystal Brook SAMarch 24, 2012
I am a female working in a male dominated industry. Some days start at 6.00 am and can finish after 8.00pm, but that is not the norm. I welcome the challenge of working in an environment that is as changeable as the weather, somedays you are sent to other sites without noitce. I have found the staff to be caring and supportive at the sites I have worked at. Hardest part of the job is the unpredictablility of work after harvest, Im a casual employee so you do need to have other means of income.
Pros
my team is very supportive and protective, pay rates are good
Cons
unpredictablility of hours after harvest
Job comes first family comes second no matter what.
Facility Assistant 2 (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 8, 2013
A typical day was to try and put the trucks to the bins as fast as possible to keep the line moving and still try to keep the cleaners fed and emptied out when needed. I learned to multitask very quickly and how to manage people. Some managers didn't really care about the employee just wanted to get the job done as quick as possible. The coworkers were great to get along with and worked well together. The hardest part of the job was working the 16-18 hour days loading cars. The most enjoyable part was working with the coworkers.
Pros
we got some free jackets and clothing.
Cons
the uncertainty of when your time off would be due to car loading
the work place
grain handler (Current Employee) –  port adelaideJuly 6, 2012
its a nice place to work but you need to have the right contacts to move up.I work and thats what i want to to do i want to move up because of my work ethic and my devotion to the job.
Pros
the hours, location
Cons
no chance of advancement
Easy Job not overly Hard
Bulk GRain Handler (Former Employee) –  Mount Barker SAJanuary 7, 2013
Easy Job, Alright people to work with the hardest part was long hours and heat, Most enjoyable part was the Wage
Pros
reasonably long breaks