Vitran Express

Vitran Express United States Employee Reviews

A family oriented environment
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 20, 2015
It was busy and a challenge to be there daily dealing with unhappy customers who had not received there freight yet sometime for days at a time but you learn to do what you have to do in order to make the customer happy
way of life
CDL Class A Truck Driver (Former Employee), Romulus, MIFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: at 1 time they paid good
Cons: they had guys that killed it running the operating down
I worked there from 2004 to 2012 with a 19 month break due to Vitran saying they did not need me. The company mad poor decisions and drivers took a Big pay cut, and the benifits went down hill.. Vitran was force to close there doors
Good fleet job
Diesel Fleet Mechanic (Former Employee), Camp Hill, PAJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: close to home & good hours
Cons: low pay & no room for promotion
I liked the fact that it was a fleet because you can get used to the vehicles & there individual common problems & there setup was pretty good for the work we needed to perform.
equipment is junk, it was heard to to get parts to fix equipment because of all hoops you had to jump through
Tractor Trailer Mechanic (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: none i can think of
Cons: everything
I do not recommend this company because management would not listen to their employees opinions of what they needed to do their job right and fix their equipment properly.
Every day is new and busy.
Accounts Receivables and Customer Support Rep (Current Employee), Bensenville, ILDecember 4, 2014
I worked in the Customer Service Dept. and the Dispatch Dept. A typical day at work was a very busy day. Worked with drivers and dispatch to help pick up ad deliver freight in a timely fashion.
Our No#1 goal was to make sure the customer was happy.
Fast paced but quiet place to work
Biller (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 25, 2014
Pros: it was fast paced busy work that i was left alone to complete
Cons: i worked night shift
A typical day t work consist of taking the information from the bill of lading and converting it over to the bill that the customer would receive as quickly as possible, and absolutely accurate. The management was great and the coworkers were friendly. Best part of the job was that I knew what needed to be done and I could sit in my cubicle and do it until all bills were completed for the night. I would call any part of the job hard. If I were to "nit pick" it, I would say reading some of the writing on the bills of lading
Review
Delivery Driver/Shop Labor (Former Employee), Wichita, KSNovember 23, 2014
Pros: short hours
Cons: lack of hours
I worked in the afternoon from 4:00 to 9:00. They paid me a higher wage since I wasn't guaranteed 40 hours per week, but when the work was completed for the day, we had to clock out and go home.
Dock Supervisor (Former Employee), Walbridge, OHNovember 12, 2014
Fast paced, good relationship with co-workers. Reputable.
Enjoyed working with fellow drivers
Line Haul Driver/Full-Time (Former Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 9, 2014
Pros: consistent work schedule, the work environment with employees
Cons: pay rate on the low side
Worked with some really great people over the years at Vitran.
exciting job with a lot of travel
Experienced welder (Former Employee), Markham, ILSeptember 17, 2014
On a typical day i would travel to the terminal that needed my help. Anything from overhead door and dock plate repair to electrical and office repairs.

I dealt with a lot of welding and concrete work as well as asphalt and electrical.

The people i worked with were all good people and helped to make the job enjoyable. I dealt directly with the management in getting jobs around my region set up and executed. I also reported progress of all jobs to the vice president of the company.

The hardest part of this job was the long travel. i have spent months out of town and states away.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the welding and concrete work.
forklift operater
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), 2222-4st rockisland,ill,61201September 12, 2014
Pros: nice coworkers.
Cons: old equipment to work with.
i would load and unload semi trucks with forklifts and hand pallet jacks to ship for over night delivery.
Great place to work.
Forklift Operator/ Data Entry (Former Employee), 4318 Northfield Ln Houston, TX.July 30, 2014
Pros: ability to grow and learn
Cons: nothing
Great people, very helpful and knowledgeable, willing to teach all different areas of job. It was a little intimidating at first ,but was good thing to put pressure and be straight forward. I learned so much so fast. The job was great and the pay was on an unbelievable growth. They really appreciate hard work from each employee.
Ok job
Dock worker/HI lo operator (Former Employee), Brownstown miJuly 15, 2014
Pros: good coworkers
Cons: no structure
Would be a good job for a college student. Great coworkers and nice management,
Vitran was purchased by Central Transport for a low dollar amount. They paid for the equipment, not their employees.
Billing Clerk (Current Employee), Indianapolis, IndianaJuly 3, 2014
Pros: employed
Cons: hours
Unfortunately this is not the shift or the department I chose to work in. I have spent many years in the Billing Department and transferred to learn more about the Trucking Industry. Now I am again at a point in my life where I am learning nothing. Unfortunately our management team was let go like so many other employees after Central Transport purchased us. We have young and inexperienced Supervisors who are doing their best with as little tools as they were provided with. I enjoy working with everyone as a team to accomplish our goals of accurate billing and finishing up within the allowed time if not before. I have made several new friends by transferring to the Billing Department and enjoy their company time on the clock as well as off the clock. We are able to laugh and joke with each other which makes life a lot easier. The most undesirable part of this job is being away from family. I previously worked day shift which allowed me to spend more time with my family. I am lucky enough though to be able to call the last remaining Vitran team known now as Central Transport as my second family. You spend more time with your second family than your first.
Productive workplace with great coworkers
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Mounds View, MNJune 18, 2014
Pros: 1 hour lunch 1/2 paid, 1/2 unpaid, paid weekly
Cons: angry customers on the phone
Typical day at work would start out with answering phones where customers called in pickup requests & tracing shipments. Also, during this time was manifesting & dispatching trailers going to Winnipeg. After those were done, drivers were beginning to come back from their routes & it was time to go through their paperwork so it can be sent to the dock for unloading. Around 8pm I would take lunch & when I came back I would finish any work I had on my desk so I could cover another gal at the drivers window so she could take lunch. Before you know it, it was time to punch out. Coworkers were great for the most part. We became friends & are still in contact today after getting laid off late last year.
Tipical LTL
P&D Driver (Former Employee), Bensenville, ILJune 1, 2014
Pros: fast paced company
Cons: sketchy equipment.
Its ok,fast paced but lots of customers all day work if your P&D too much bending,walking,lifting & paperwork.different clients different challenges not a fixed company there into any shipment,.
Alright place to work.
Dock Worker (Former Employee), Gibsonia PAMay 21, 2014
Good starting job to be a dock worker. Not bad pay to start off.
Fun and enjoyable were most would treat you like family
Pricing Analyst/Biller/Coder (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 19, 2014
Pros: two break rooms, one with vending machines. open work area. lunch spot close by.
Cons: dust everywhere. break times were cut down from 15 minutes to 10.
Everyone was friendly, asking how our day or weekend was. Telling about their family life. Sharing stories about kids. If someone need help or has a question about pricing everyone would help. When printing, other would bring your papers to you. Many of us took lunch together, even those from other department. When other departments had questions about pricing, billing or collects they would walk over to talk to you, not just call or email you. When my sells reps called we would chat for a minute before talking about work. One would even joke that he was like a red-headed stepchild, because he was new and was always having problems. I would help the new sales reps with understanding how to enter pricing and how to figure out formulas to help with find the right pricings.
Great Employees
National Account Specialist (Former Employee), Gibsonia, PAMay 14, 2014
Its hard to give a accurate review of this company. Was only there over a year before it was purchased by another LTL company.
Enjoyable time
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), MarylandApril 5, 2014
Enjoyed the group of folks I worked with. I believe they have recently merged with another company.

1 2 3 4 5

About Vitran Express

The main US arm of Toronto-based company Vitran, Vitran Express provides┬áless-than-truckload (LTL) freight transportation services. – Read more

Vitran Express Salaries