Vitran Express Employee Reviews in United States

Local P&D Driver (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 29, 2016
This was a really good place to work! From management down, we were a well oiled machine because we all had an extensive background in freight and logistics. Management recognized the knowledge and expertise of the drivers and depended highly on "us" and also involved "us" in the routing and scheduling process.
Pros
Good people to work for and work with. Good late model well maintained equipment.
Cons
The facility created challenges because of it's size and condition.
Excellent Logistics company
Billing Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 29, 2016
A typical work day would be going in to work around 3p and not leaving until 3-4a the following morning due to an over abundance of work that you had to complete as a team. I worked from using a split screen system AS400 and one side you would have a copy of the bill of lading and the other screen would be a data entry screen. You would enter the information from the bill of lading to the data entry screen side. I learned about the classes of different products like nails and screws and ect. The hardest part of the job would have to be the constant overtime and sometimes not getting enough sleep before having to come in the next day. The most enjoyable part of the job was the pay from working all the overtime.
Pros
Weekly paychecks, half hour lunches
Cons
Constant overtime, not getting enough sleep at night.
No time for home life.
Commercial Driver, City Driver (Former Employee) –  Gibsonia, PADecember 11, 2015
Typical day,get your route,find your trailer. Remove half the freight off the trailer so you can put it in the order that you can get your route done.By noon their calling you to do pick-ups with deliveries still on your truck.No equipment like pallet jack or two wheel dolly,you have to buy your own.Never on the same route to establish customers needs.Always send you on a route you never been on. Best thing they got bought out by central transport. Stay far away from these companies.
Pros
good pay
Cons
too long hours bad equipment
Busy, fast pace and extensive driving throughout shift
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MDApril 7, 2016
Hectic schedule and strenuous working of 14 hours per day, worked independently driving his route each day. Worked very hard in ensuring all stops were made each day and in a timely fashion, extensive lifting throughout shift. Motivated and challenged by work provided and enjoyed all aspects of the busy job on a daily basis.
Not perfect, but was a decent place to work
Weights and Inspections Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 13, 2016
From day one, I was always treated with respect. Management always had my back if there ever was a problem or disagreement. Had the company not been bought out, I could see myself still working there to this day.
Forklift Operator
VITRAN OPERATOR/LABORER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 24, 2016
Verify and maintain records on incoming and outgoing shipments. Prepare items for shipment. Duties include assembling,addressing,stamping,and shipping merchandise or material
On of the worst places I ever worked
Linehaul driver (Former Employee) –  Springfield moNovember 15, 2012
If you are looking for an adventure this is the place for you. Some of the worst equiptment on the road when I worked there. They have some newer stuff now but if you like having a seat a air conditioner defroster wiper blades washer fluid oil a radio I would not recommend them. I drove linehaul nine years for them it paid decent but it was the most unorganized no caring place I ever worked. Training ha ha forget about it. None anywhere dock city road management. It was quite an experience. They changed the oil in my truck i drove at least every 60,000 miles ha ha. One other thing the first year i worked here i made almost 80 k by the time they were done the 9 th year i was only making close to 45k haha back in time. Raises forget about it bonuses not a chance
Pros
decent pay when they arent trying to rip you off
Cons
i dont have that kind of time on my hands
N/a
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMarch 31, 2016
Overall atmosphere was great. The terminal itself had a great work ethic and was driven to provide our service. The terminal ran itself because of the group of people we had working there.
Sales Day
Account Manager/National Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 31, 2016
My day consists of setting myself up for success for the next few weeks with appointments and also handle the current weeks set calls with planned discussiong topics.
Pros
Ablity to meet people and grow my business profitable
Cons
Not enough time in the day to get things done so it carriers over to nighttime.
reason for leaving
Road Driver (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAOctober 28, 2013
received new management 2 yrs ago.company has lost money over and over.Recently bought out by another company and in all likelihood I am not staying.No one says anything good about new owners.I have worked too many nights not being home and after 11 years go backwords,in pay and benefits.Vitran was an ok company for the last 2 years it has gone downhill and I believe it was all planned.All we have heard about our new owners is not positive.I am not bitter but after 25 plus years in the industry I am not taking cuts because of new ownership.
Pros
steady runs, mostly ok equipment
Cons
new management and their attitude
Negitive work place, seems everybody for themself, the bathroom was smelling like a out house
CDL Class A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIFebruary 1, 2013
A typical day at work was unorganized coasos, things where always behind as planed, trailers always loaded wrong with lots of damages done to the customers products/orders. The co workers was the only good thing about the job, the hardest part about the job was to stay a float above the very high level of negitivity within the work place, that company lacked very much in moral of its work enviroment. The most enjoyable part of the job was back in 2008 when I was still getting paid enough to save for the future and the company gave something as well, and taht all stopped.by 2010.
Pros
i can not list any
Cons
the company sold out/partnered up with another company and all the benifits went down, pay, rasies etc to not as near as much.
Great work environment.There is something to be said about being alone to get the job done.
LTL Driver (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAJanuary 10, 2014
A typical day is fantastic when everything goes according to plan. One delay due to traffic or a delivery that holds you up will snowball the rest of the day. I work with a great bunch of guys. We all worked together to make the day go quickly, whether it was for directions or moral support, we all have gone thru a lot. We started out as PJAX Freight systems, which was a family owned LTL company. We were then bought by a Canadian Company called Vitran Express, approximately 5 years ago. Had to relearn how everything had to be done, new supervisors, new equipment and lots of hours. didn't really have much of a life working 12-14 hours a day. of course to no avail because in December of 2013 we were bought again. This time losing most of my benefits and not many hours. Another learning curve with new technology, supervisors. But most of all I lost most of my co-workers that I have worked with over the last 12 years. I do not wish to drive anymore. I would like an operations position, shipping, receiving, or a distribution position.
Pros
great benefits
fun to work at
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INDecember 2, 2015
started work right away,co-workers great to work with,management was not what i had expected the training was not up to par.hardest thing was finding past drivers delivery sheets.
Pros
self starter
Cons
not enough training
Typical Dockwork under poor conditions.
Dockworker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Became proficient on the forklift and proficient at moving freight under poor conditions. Became very good at work with the rf scanner.
Pros
Nice pay
Cons
Very poor work conditions
Worst place ever
Driver (Former Employee) –  Ashland, VAMay 4, 2012
I don't recommend working for this company. They don't give raise's at all, in fact they find excuse's to deduct money from your pay. They take on all the worst loads possible just to help keep their heads above water, and want their drivers to go above and beyond without compensation. They require all the drivers to have their own pallet jacks and hand carts, they do not supply them. They make up new rules on the spot given the occurrence as it happens. BEWARE of this company.
Cons
lowest wages in the market.
way of life
CDL Class A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIFebruary 12, 2015
I worked there from 2004 to 2012 with a 19 month break due to Vitran saying they did not need me. The company mad poor decisions and drivers took a Big pay cut, and the benifits went down hill.. Vitran was force to close there doors
Pros
at 1 time they paid good
Cons
they had guys that killed it running the operating down
Horrible place to work
former management (Former Employee) –  gibsonia,paNovember 14, 2012
Before Vitran, PJAX was a great place to work. Now, it is poor management. They are doing everything they can to run the place into the ground. They are firing employees for no good reason. It is a wonder they can stay in business with all of the potential lawsuits they have coming to them. People who earned their yearly raises, did not get them. And there have been no raises for 5 years.
Cons
treat employees horribly
Very SORRY I left my old job for this...
Line Haul Driver (Current Employee) –  Duncan, SCAugust 28, 2013
If you live in the southeast this is not Vitran Express, It's Milan Express all over again. There is no equality amongst drivers...some drivers make .52 cpm, some make .37cpm, while others only make .33cpm and hourly a mere $15.50 an hour. There equipment is a joke, terminals are a disaster and waiting around is endless. If you want to work for an LTL company, stay away from this one....They'll lie to you to get you in the door then starve you out.
Pros
home everyday and sleep in your own bed
Cons
pay, benefits, stabilty and everything else
Good People, Poor Management
Outbound Supervisor (Former Employee) –  CharlotteAugust 10, 2015
Poor management ruined what could have been a good company. Good work life balance due to amonut of hours worked compared to other LTL carriers
frustrating place to work but, my co-workers are great to work with.
Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 27, 2013
A typical day at work,I operate a forklift,load and unload trucks and deal with some paperwork.I work with a great bunch of people whom for the most part all work together.Management is ok but they need to listen to workers input occasionally.
Pros
my co-workers, wages
Cons
starting time, benefits, no 401k contribution.

2.4