VMware Employee Reviews

No career advancement, highly political in marketing
Director of Product Marketing, (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 30, 2017
Great salary, poor career prospects
I would not recommend working at VMware despite the great perks and work/life balance - management is too political
Excellent Company
Sr. Global Budget/Forecast Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 26, 2017
Excellent vision and clear management direction. The products and personnel were excellent, and motivated to do the right things. Company well funded.
Pros
Exciting and innovative
Cons
work-life balance
Not a place for me
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 19, 2017
I would not recommend VMware to friends because it was a cut-throat and dishonest work culture. Management was deceitful and was not forthcoming with simple information and details. Very secretive.
Pros
Beautiful campus in Palo Alto; lots of fun family activities annually
Cons
Dishonest; fake personalities
Channel Director/Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTJune 14, 2017
Professional atmosphere, and training. Coaching and mentoring helped out a lot. VMware is a great company to work for, with a great product, and phenomenal services.
Excellent peer coworkers, management of office can be a bit bureaucratic
Level II Technical Support Engineer-Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COJune 11, 2017
Storage engineer for 3 1/2 years. Best thing I can say is that there will be almost zero office politics and backbiting with your peers. Its a tremendously collaborative environment with some unbelievably smart people at your disposal. You will learn a lot about VMware environment management, which will help you a lot for future positions. Its also a very comfortably casual environment. I thoroughly enjoyed going to work everyday in a t shirt and shorts.

One of the biggest issues I had was inter-office politics. You'll find yourself constantly battling the offices in Cork and Bangalore over their tossing you their work, and your often inability to do anything but eat it. Also, while the majority of direct managers are really good people, every so often they hire someone who is a complete misfit for corporate culture, and that can make your day miserable. I quit because of my direct manager, who was so by the book, he could have been replaced with a small shell script. When I needed him to back me, I could count on him to completely disappoint me. Another major management issue I had is because its a rather large company with many levels of management, often the decisions made by high-up senior management are more about bean counting and theory, but its effects on the actual people are horrendous. We sometimes have to rely on tools for major parts of our business (case management system run through Salesforce, a recent change to our KB system that was completely ineffective) that can really hinder your ability to do your job well, but management is more about "use
  more... these tools as directed by management" than "lets give you tools to do your job well".

Bottom line: If you have the opportunity to work here, take it. Get everything you can out of the place in terms of knowledge. Spend some time there, and then go get yourself a better job with all that knowledge.
Pros
Amazing peer coworkers, comfortably casual, free snacks/soda, no work when you're not on the clock
Cons
Sometimes horrendous managers, bureaucracy and bean counting can override effective work decisions
Technical Sweatshop
Technical Support Engineer, Level II (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COJune 5, 2017
-PRO's
-Great people
-Always more you can learn
-Free snacks
-Good benefits
-Good pay

-CON's
-VMware is losing its culture
-Work life balance is out the window
-On call most weekends
-Asked to work after work on week days
-Asked to come in early or stay late
-Managers manage up, not down
-Managers are concerned about faking reports to higher managers
-Managers no longer work well with the majority of their technicians, nor do they care about how conditions are
It is good
Cloud Intern (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 3, 2017
As I am workoholic. I like the culture of startuo specially in my Business Unit. Every half year some new technology to work upon which helps me to grow more
Excellent company to work for
Senior Director - Global Technical Alliances (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 25, 2017
One of the better companies to work for.
Manage a global team
good leave
excellent benefits
Cloud Technology
Partner Enablement (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 25, 2017
As positive: Benefits and pay are strong, beautiful campus, some flexibility, decent work/life balance. Interesting technology but lack of confidence in the leadership driving it.

As negative: Very political environment, culture does not allow you to do what is right for the customer/business, it's all about making sure you don't rub upper management the wrong way.
Pros
They really mean it when they say they are committed
Cons
Constant churn : Middle management turns over every 12-24 months
A growth possibility
Program Manager - Global Partner & Field Readiness (Former Employee) –  RemoteMay 24, 2017
VMWare is a bohemeth and as a result of their explosive growth they are having trouble with legacy organizations and people who probably shouldn't still be with the company.

Want to know more about VMware?

Ask a question
Sr Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 22, 2017
Good place to work, teams work collaboratively. Processes, governance is in place. Opportunity to lead different initiatives and grow in the organization.
Highly intelligent and nice people
Consultant/Contractor (never an employee) (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 5, 2017
This was a highly collaborative project with very smart technical players. They gave of their time generously as they could, in a release environment.
Pros
Sharp, nice professionals; beautiful outdoor campus; very nice offices and amenities
Cons
Very engineer-focused
Exhilarating to help found a new industry.
Senior Manager of R&D Tools (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 1, 2017
Started at VMware when it was about 200 engineers, left when it was over 15,000. It is always exciting to see your company found an entire industry, and those were very fun times.
Fun Place to Work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 26, 2017
Great staff, hard working employees. For some positions, Job Work/Life Balance was a challenge. Required significant travel and long hours. Not a lot of options for career progression.
fast paced high energy
Senior Manager-Real Estate and Workplace (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 23, 2017
VMware, inc. is one of the most innovative companies in the High Tech Industry. It's rated as one of the top rated companies to work for in the United States.
Fast paced environment with room to grow
Technical Support Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COApril 19, 2017
VMware is a totally different environment than what I was used to for my first 7 years of professional work. The comradery at VMware is second to none, and people are always there to help. I learn new things everyday covering just about every facet of a datacenter. With that being said it's a fast paced, and demanding job as a support engineer.
Good culture
Systems Administrator III (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 5, 2017
Lots of opportunities to learn. Good culture, free food on occasion. There are lots of different groups. Nice campus with lots of amenities. There are two Gyms.
Pros
Well established company
Cons
Layoffs seem to happen every year
Many Silos
Staff Engineer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 5, 2017
Overall I enjoyed working within the company. Unfortunately the company is divided into multiple silo's even though management may claim that we are all one team under the business unit.

I like to think of my time at the company as being an extra made up of the combination of Silicon Valley (HBO) and Game of Thrones (HBO) ... antics of one, bloodshed of the other and in the end, I was a causality of the BU battles.
Good pay, poor work/life balance
Director, Alliances Marketing (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 3, 2017
VMware has great products, a good brand and good executive leadership. VMware has a combative culture and poor communication between Sr. executives and individual contributors.
Pros
Excellent campus
Cons
Combative culture
Technology Leader
Software Sales (Former Employee) –  WIMarch 2, 2017
VMW has market leading technology that can transform a business. Getting customers to buy into the vision and actually execute remains a hurdle. Internal expectations outrun customer ability to change, adapt, retrain, install and deploy solutions.
Pros
Work/Life balance, Espp
Cons
Changes continually derail forward progress.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VMware. Our community is ready to answer.