VMware Employee Reviews in United States

Fun work environment
Business Development Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2015
Managers helped me grow personally and professionally. I learned many skills including sales, phone conversation, product knowledge, and working in a corporate environment. I loved the people I worked with. Everyone was very positive and wanted you to get up and go to work everyday.
Fun place to work but its changing rapidly
SE (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 14, 2015
Excellent place to work and love the people but the process is changing so quickly that its not fun anymore. There is more and more Micromanaging and spread sheets and admin work that trying to stay Technically enabled gets to be difficult at times especially with the solutions changing so much.
Pros
Great Roadmap of products
Cons
Hard to keep up with everything changing so quickly
a better place to explore talent
Web UI Developer (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 13, 2015
Good working environment, friendly co-workers, motivating managers made working easy.I have learnt how to develop learning skills and handling day to day tasks completion within specified time.
Not a great work environment
HR (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 3, 2015
This is the worse place I have ever worked for. Would definitely not recommend. The culture is screwed up they try to hide it by giving their people free breakfast. About 70% of their employees are either Temp or Interns. They rarely convert people. If you need quick money then work here if not then stay away.
Fast Paced, Innovative company
Senior Healthcare Business Strategist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 23, 2015
Vmware is quickly reacting to a changing market and broadening their scope beyond just compute virtualization, especially in Healthcare. The teams are very focused and driven for success but with a great work life balance.
Good people, poor use of talents
Senior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 21, 2015
Generally hire good people, but Management is ineffective at utilizing, and therefore keeping, top talent. Campus is top notch but work environment is creepily quiet and closed
Pros
Snacks, Unlimited PTO
excellent place to work
Technical Product Manager Intern (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 6, 2015
The atmosphere and the people that I meet regularly are amazing. Be prepared to be surrounded by a group of very smart and driven people.
Pros
Great Amenities, Good work-life balance, Great learning and growth
High Technology vClould Emerging Market
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CaliforniaAugust 6, 2015
VMware is growing and revolving in the vCloud Emerging Market
I enjoy working in the fast paced and in-demand environment
VMware's has great team spirit and enthusiasm.
Pros
Beautiful Campus, Flexible work schedules
Cons
Minimal opportunity for growth
HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 31, 2015
The position I have lets me work from home part time. Great people to work with - lots of interaction with people from around the world. Company offers lots of great perks - snacks, all kinds of drinks, happy hours the first Friday of every month, breakfast tacos on Fridays, messages on site.
Cloud
Sr. Manager of vCloud Operations (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 28, 2015
Vcloud Air is way understaffed and way over worked. Sr. Leadership needs to determine if they want to run it as a help provider or a true operations dept.
Pros
comp is good, envirnment is fun
Cons
work way too many hours..

Want to know more about VMware?

Ask a question
VMware is a great company to work for
Federal Licensing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COJuly 17, 2015
VMware is a fantastic company with wonderful working environment, unfortunately my contract was only for 6 months and the commute was terrible but overall Management was awesome.
Pros
Free snacks, lunches
Cons
Commute
Great work/life balance
Coordinator, HR Operations (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 10, 2015
Most of my day is done in our systems and through email working with my customers - new hires, hiring managers, staffing, HRIS.
VMware focuses on best practice implementation and process documentation; you must be able to work with a constant changing environment and policies/procedures that can change week to week.
Management is not held accountable nor do they share job impacting information.
My team is a dedicated team - dedicated to teamwork, positive environment, collaboration and customer service and satisfaction.

The hardest part of the job is working 11 hour days and not being recognized for hard work. Promotions are limited to upper management and there is little room for development and growth. Also, performance review is not directly correlated to merit increase. You can have an almost perfect review with no merit increase to show for it.

The thing i enjoy the most at VMware is the collaborative environment, the dedication to the community. VMware gives employees 40 hours a year of PTO that is for community service and philanthropy and they highly encourage employees to use this time off to get out and serve. Also, the ability to work from home or work remotely and have a flexible schedule makes VMware highly desirable. Lastly, i work on a rockstar team; i enjoy coming in to see my team and the camaraderie.
Pros
Benefits, Work/Life Balance
Cons
Salary, Lack of opportunity for growth, management
Great working environment, Great people
Software Dev(Intern) (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 9, 2015
I worked with a team of about ten people who got along well together. We had a bi weekly poker night and would hang out after work. The whole team was dedicated to the product, and really took pride in what they did. They were easy on the newbie and were always willing to answer questions.
Very professional people to work with
Recruiter (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Home officeJuly 8, 2015
Everyone was very professional and knew how to get the job done. Very knowledgeable and helpful group of recruiters and staffing partners.
Great place to work!
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 29, 2015
VMware is a great place to work and I wish I had not left. I took a role at another company for career advancement and wish I had stayed. Great people, best in class solutions and from what I hear, the path to making more money has become easier. Maybe I will be able to go back.
Pros
Grea teams, great solutions
Cons
Fast paced, great culture, smart people!
Partner Strategy & Programs Sr. Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 24, 2015
Everyday met with interesting and fun work scenarios. Great, smart coworkers. Lots of meetings, but lots accomplished in every meeting.
can do attitude
BDM (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 12, 2015
heavy focus on tactics and quarter to quarter number. suprsing for such a large company! very good exec team - needs stronger middle management
Pros
great product
Cons
weaker tools
VMware
Senior Proposal Manager (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAMay 8, 2015
Ok company to work for. Company maintains a wonderful foundation that matches donations to non-profit organizations.
work is productive & busy
Engagement Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 7, 2015
it depends in which area or group you work with. the area where i worked had a lot of field and customer interaction. Learned about the vmware stack of products and solutions, ITaaS, DaaS, SaaS and SDDC as the business drive for the company. the focus was on managing projects for customer from the initiation phase to deployment phase follow the traditional Project lifecycle methodology with emphases on the Waterfall process.

team work and collaboration with co-workers was fantastic. however, Management lacked the means of running a practice and it was chaos is many ways. putting that aside, the company is great and the products are cutting edge.
Pros
Telecomute, mobile work
Cons
team networking is rare, Management has some work to do
IT Organization is in shambles - VMware products are solid
Director (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 6, 2015
Work/Life Balance at VMware no longer exists. Managers are not asked to work long hours, but it is expected that you are always available, all hours of the day, every day of the week. The IT organization has gone through two regime changes in under two years and all of the key players have left the company. There is a skeleton crew in place, but most of those people are looking to leave the company.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly people, lots of vacation time
Cons
Engineers are cut throat, Executive team is out of touch with employees, Work/Life balance is non-existent