VNA Health Care

VNA Health Care Employee Reviews in United States

Run away!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 12, 2016
This company should change their mission statement immediately. It's intention was always good, however for a non for profit organization, profit seems to be at the top of their list. Very poor management. People who work here are mostly genuine and want to help patients who come here. But it is next to impossible due to poor organization, lack of supplies, and being short staffed.
If you want to be valued as a person as opposed to a number, then this is not the place for you. I only hope that upper management can resolve issues and get down to the basics of helping its much needed community.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Very poor management
intake/receptionist
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILMay 17, 2016
overall co-workers were great , hours ok , benefits ok ,
management and HR needs work not very professional.
overall ok place to work
Pros
benefits good, co-workers-
Cons
managment, HR is terrible
See Below
IV Nurse, Staff Nurse, (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 26, 2016
Focus on patient care and computers when I was there.
I do not know what the emphasis in now. The staff was nice to work with. They were very helpful as I was new to the city. Also instrumental in helping me learn the ropes.
Pros
I enjoyed the comaraderie.
Cons
Too much traveling between patients.
no hours
Assist the elderly (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTJuly 9, 2015
never have work to given out. very poor communication skills, and they alwyas want to tell you how to do you job and they never understand you
Poor Administration will kill this great place
Family Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILMay 28, 2015
The mission of the VNA is awesome. The patients and the general staff are also awesome. The administration is only concerned with pumping as many people through the doors as they can and they have absolutely no concern for patient safety. The providers are seeing up to 50 patients a day and the risk for making mistakes are huge. Anytime someone tries to mention that they should adjust the policy, they the employee that that is the way it is and is not going to change. Then if anyone is insistent they just disappear one day. It is a shame that such a great mission is destroyed by what appears to be greed even though it is supposed to be a not-for-profit entity. Too bad!
Pros
the patients and the clinical staff
Cons
the administration is so disconnected from clinical reality
enjoy working with co-workers
Consultant for various Chicago land Organizations (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILMay 19, 2015
I was a temp and needed to work a full time job, coworkers were hard workers and friendly. If I was offered a full time position I would have stayed.
Pros
friendly coworkers
Cons
pay not great
Great place to start your health care career
PCA- Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILNovember 17, 2014
I learned how to everything thing I know. I roomed patients, chart vitals taken and reason for visit, prepared rooms and maintained enough stock needed for the week, became great at what I do and I trained new employees, learned how to handle urine specimens, QC equipment, assisted with translation and with procedures done in office, sterilize equipment, copy and fax, answering phones and questions of patients. I enjoyed working with all my co-workers because we are all passionate of the work we do and give it our 110% each day. The hardest part was staying until the last patient was seen because there were days we stayed till 10 pm at night when we started at 8 am.
WIC program is a fun palace to work , all co-workers were a joy to be around.
PHA/CNA (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJuly 8, 2014
WIC director was always in during hours of operation, which always made a good impression. Any questions or concerns she was always their to help, always did the work that PHA did when we were short staffed. I can honestly say that i never did not want to go to work the atmosphere just made it that type of job.
very political place to work for too much favoratism!
ginnie pig for management (Former Employee) –  ILFebruary 21, 2014
Co workers are mostly nice. Like anywhere there is alot of backstabbers.
Management is the worst they really dont care about the well being of the community rather how much money the company has in their bank account.
There is no confidentiality between human resources and other employees therefore open communication with them is definetly not something I recommend.
Benefits were fine, good paid time off, basically that is the reason I stayed so long.
This is a place I would recommend just to get experience and as soon as you can, find a better company to work for.
Pros
fast paced, fun co-workers
Cons
poor management, no job security, alot of chit chatting
Co-Workers are very helpful.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJanuary 26, 2014
I would have to register patients upon arrival to their appointment. Charge them based on their income. Verify insurance if active. I learned how to handle different attitudes of patients. My co-workers helped me a lot on learning different things. I would have to multitask answer phone calls, fax, scanned, make following appointments for patients. The hardest part of my job was the long hours sometimes had to work a 12 hr. shift.
Pros
closed to home
Cons
Not a place I would recommend
Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILJuly 25, 2013
This organization has went through a tremendous amount of turnover and staff this year. Management didn't hit their forecasts and all of the sudden, one Monday 10% of our co-workers were gone with no notice, right at the holidays. They have several more since then. They made no sacrifices of their own and the rest of the staff paid for it. Many of the other talented people have left. Upper management is unapologetic about their actions and performance.
If you don't fit in, instead of being honest and forthright, they will lay you off or put you on contract and then stop calling you in, even to very high level employees- but it's a firing. What is most upsetting is many of the people they did this to were incredibly devoted to the mission. People are scared and afraid here, and it's a very unhealthy organization to work in. They do not encourage growth or development and work to keep you where you are. No one is actually allowed to use the continuing education benefit. Seeing them act this way to my former co-workers is more than upsetting, and I am actively looking for another job.
Pros
ok benefits. reinstated a small retirement.
Cons
management
Security Job was great while I worked there
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILMay 13, 2013
A busy environment with some opportunity to advance for those in the Criminal Justice field. Great environment, however, not a very secure job placement.
Not so good
Support (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILFebruary 2, 2013
I would not recommend working here, at all. As recently as last year this was a decent place to work. Plans have not worked out as c-levels expected, and everyone else is taking the fall. Completely different culture- keep your mouth shut if something bad is happening, or your job will be lost as dozens people have found out in the last several months. Competency isn't valued- it's solely about whether you're on management's good side. I've never worked at/ heard of a non-profit that operates like this. If management walked the walk, and shared in the pain that their failed plans created, I would be more inclined to stay here. What keeps me going is helping people who don't otherwise receive care.

Co-workers are pretty good. Hours are not insane, but long. Benefits are decent. Again, I'm here for the company mission, that at least the lower level employees carry out on a daily basis.
Pros
benefits are pretty good, co-workers nice
Cons
management.
Ok place to work
CNA (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILJanuary 19, 2013
It's ok here. Used to be much better. Management doesn't practice what they preach when they state they believe in open communication. Management made some bad decisions and the rest of my co-workers suffered, not the C-levels themselves. Strange for a non-profit that they would not care more. If you're a clinical employee you'll be fine, it's the rest of the people that have suffered recent layoffs and cutbacks due to poor decisions at the top. It's created an environment where people are scared and not feeling good anymore about coming to work. Probably will explore other options soon.
Pros
healthcare, benefits, good co-workers
Cons
management.
Great place if you are a healthcare worker. Not so much for others.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILJanuary 4, 2013
VNA is a great place to work, if you are a healthcare provider.

They used to be a good employer for everyone else. Now= corporate expectations at non-profit salaries. I'm not sure the people at the top have any plan other than to ensure their own job security and salaries. Lots and lots of politics. Executives act in an underhanded manner.

Most importantly though, the reason you work here is the truly devoted healthcare workers, and those who support them, who work really, really hard to serve the patients. You'll find a lot of nice people on the front lines here. And a lot of talented doctors/nurses. People have good hearts.
Pros
generous time off, decent benefits, majority of co-workers are nice and care about the patients, again, great place to work for us healthcare providers.
Cons
falsley encourage open communication (execs didn't commuicate a layoff would happen), employees fear rocking the boat for the sake of their job.
Not interested in employee's satisfaction of job or job advancement
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTMarch 28, 2012
This company is not willing to work with the employees' needs and learning styles.

Although a case manager is paid hourly, the expectation is that any work required after 8 hours is done by the employee for FREE.

Most days the work load needs require 10-12hours to be completed.
Pros
salary
Cons
no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VNA Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9