Volkswagen Employee Reviews in United States

Production Team Member
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 3, 2016
I felt like just a number there. As I was continuing my education, VW didn't seem to notice, even though they were contributing with tuition reimbursement. There was no opportunity for advancement. I would have needed a promotion just to get the time of day from management, but of course the 'open door' was claimed. Culture is very theory X, militaristic, with no room for feedback back up the chain. Money and benefits make for golden handcuffs, and they exploit it.
Pros
Money and benefits
Cons
Work becomes your sole purpose in life.
Great company hindered by poor middle management practices
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 21, 2016
Excellent benefits, great wages, a surprising amount of amenities, and some fairly high quality/low maintenance equipment. It has the potential of being the company you pick for life.

However, the policies and practices of lower and middle management end up negating it all, turning your workday into something you'd rather forget.
Pros
Great pay, nice equipment, good benefits
Cons
Myopic middle management, poor consideration of working conditions
Good company overall
Campaign Engineer, Volkswagen Compliance (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJanuary 12, 2016
Fantastic work/life balance. Fair salary, but not as competitive as it could be. Benefits seem on par with the industry.
Pros
Work/life balance
Production Team Member
Production team Member (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 16, 2015
This is overall a very good job with exceptional pay. I have been very happy with my time here. However, the hours are extremely long and it requires us to work a swing shift. I am seeking something that is closer to 40 hours on a fixed shift.

On a typical day I work on building the body of the Volkswagen Passat. We focus on quality and meet daily deadlines. Unfortunately that is all I am really allowed to share about this position as all of our processes are closely guarded.
Pros
Great pay and excellent benefits
Cons
Long Hours and a tough non flexible shift
Interesting work
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LADecember 29, 2015
The cars are interesting to work on, and the work is mentally challenging. However, the upper management is not supportive of the middle management nor the staff which directly affects pay and career advancement. The middle management is awesome but isn't allowed as much freedom as needed to make productive decisions.
Big Corporation
Outbound Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cranbury, NJApril 1, 2016
I have worked for this company for 15 years without being out one day until September when I needed surgery. After being out recuperating on disability for 90 days I was told I had to reapply for my position.
It isn't the company I originally worked for. It is like working for a robot. There is no compassion for the employees.
Pros
very good health benefits
New and Pre-Owned Volkswagen Sales
Certified Master Volkswagen Sales same year (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VANovember 28, 2015
Sales force made up of 2 teams with 8-12 hour shifts. Schedule 9-9 each day except Saturday 8:30-6 PM. No Sundays. One hour lunch break. Learned to effectively sell new and pre-owned Volkswagen maximizing my commission with each sale. Management used when necessary to close some deals. Got along well with co-workers. Most difficult part of the job was lack of walk-in traffic. I enjoy meeting and helping all kinds of people. When there were slow days I would use the internet to contact previous clients. Would also us web-sites to learn as much as possible about German Engineering. The most enjoyable aspect of my job was servicing referral clients and maximizing gross profit. Enjoyed working at Volkswagen Springfield and management was always supportive.
Pros
Bonuses were good and I was paid for transportation each month as I lived in maryland.
Lithia is a solid company, and good morale
Internet Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 4, 2015
this was a standard care sales position with a ton of hours and zero time for life. The benefits were very solid and the pay was equal or better than most other sales dealerships. The inconsistency in management causes a lot of issues with procedures and practices
Pros
free lunchs on saturday
Cons
lots of hours
Great opportunity
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 21, 2016
Location has a lot of potential, but lack of customer parking area. Downtown Group is a good organization, and has a great Service Director that allows you to make decision and learn from them. I would recommend to have meetings that involve department manager and upper management to discuss dealership struggles.
A terrible experience
Sales (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLFebruary 2, 2016
At the beginning I really liked this dealership as a place of employment. They had a good pay plan and the coworkers were pretty good. During the interview process the sales manager and the general manager were excited to have me on, as I have lots of sales experience. I was told there would be extensive training as I was new to car sales. On my first day I was given access to the keys for all the vehicles and I was told to test drive all of them so I could understand what I was selling. After that I was told to "shadow" some seasoned employees. That was the extent of my training. I finally caught on to the basics of how to sell and the process necessary. The company has such little traffic coming through the door that you were lucky to talk to one customer per day on average. I did come to learn, unfortunately that the ethics of this "christian" run business were anything but christian. I caught both of my direct managers in lies. We weren't given access to the prices of used cars because they could gouge the customer that way. They would routinely call the employees, coworkers and customers curse words behind closed doors and were complicit in the harassment of the female employees about what they wore, how they looked, how attractive they were and what they would like to do to who. There was a heavy homophobic culture there calling people, whether staff or customer, homophobic slurs. I saw them lie and cheat to get deals done. It was the single worst work experience that I have ever had. I don't know if it is the car business in general or if it was their  more... "old school" approach but if you are considering working there. Don't. It's not worth the time, stress or lack of sleep.  less
Pros
Volkswagen is a great car.
Cons
Management. hours. stress. Mindless sitting. It's the worst place ever.
Management Totally Ruins This Company
DIALER SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORApril 27, 2016
Upper management needs some serious work..... fun work activities. Day to day work is incredibly monotonous.. The people who work here are great. Pay isn't too bad. However any sick time or requested time off is frowned upon & for workplace morale it is necessary and needed. Job security is not good. You never seem to feel secure in your job even if you are doing well.
Pros
Free food & lunches from time to time, Good pay, Fun work activities. Great Co workers
Cons
Monotonous work, Compliance schedule, stats, MANAGEMENT. No benefits
productive
BDC Internet Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Union, NJJanuary 15, 2016
meet and greet customers , long hard hours but my co workers where awesome to work with. Very loving and caring , but the hardest part was closing deals with customers.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Great energy!! Team work in all departments
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJune 30, 2016
I thoroughly enjoy assisting customers with one of the most important decisions, purchasing a vehicle. Some days could be hectic, however the challange of meeting your customers needs and exceeding their expectations, was the most amazing experience.
Pros
Great coworkers, product training and wonderful customers.
Cons
When a customer could not purchase a vehicle due to various reasons.
Analyst
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAFebruary 4, 2016
Big company and we all know they problems they are currently going through and this is noticeable and present in the day to day culture. Zero training provided and very scattered processes.
Summary
Car Salesman (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILOctober 20, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics.
Great Place to Work
Client Technologies Specialist (Former Employee) –  Libertyville, ILMay 13, 2016
Fast paced, Progressive company. Up to date technology. Diverse duties.Great Co-Workers.
The shared information between sites is really good. Plants are trying to be the best in class. Management support initiatives and projects. Currently expanding production and making good profit. Safety culture is real.
Pros
Employee Car leasing proram
Cons
Little room for advancement
Corporate environment
Client Advisor (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MADecember 3, 2015
Provided a lot of training
Very frequent management changes
experienced co-workers (at the time I was there)
Hard to keep up with the super frequent management changes
Best part was learning the industry from experienced colleagues
Pros
great new building
Cons
management changes
Dealership is in a great location
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CANovember 24, 2015
The dealership is constantly generating traffic. Internet and walk-ins the only problem is the Management. They don't provide training if you are doing sells. However they do invest in a motivational speaker who is pretty much optional but you are REQUIRED to attend even on your days off.
Pros
Free Coffee, Good Looking Staff, Professional
Cons
No Training.
Very good place to work
Customer Service/ Credit Representative (Former Employee) –  Libertyville, ILJuly 23, 2015
I enjoyed working for them. When management changed the job changed and went down hill. Hours were great working with customers was nice for the most part. However it can become repetitive easily. Once switched departments I learned the other side of the business which was a great experience.
Pros
great benefits such as a new car every year. Insurance was great. vacation time was awesome.
Cons
management changed.
Great potential-Sadly Flawed
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXSeptember 18, 2015
VW of CC is a Gold Pen dealership for Volkswagen of USA. They sell a fare number of vehicles and have above average customer service much of the time.

However, since many of the employees are former inmates, gang members, or want to be, there is a very "ghetto" culture. The police have been there several times to arrest employees for a variety of crimes.

Once they can in to question employees about a incident at the weekend beach party. After a fender bender, two employees beat up the other party. This was covered up when police came to the dealership to interview the person involved in the fender bender. In a staff meeting the next day, the owner said that sometimes a man needs a "whooping" and that it was good the young man had not "ratted out the others". No one was disciplined.
Because of the jail time of one desk manager, local credit unions will not sign a dealership agreement with the firm, and one advises their customers to go elsewhere.

Avoid, unless you a "G" or want to act like one.
Pros
130-150
Cons
Hood Rat culture

4.2