Volunteers in Medicine Employee Reviews in United States

busy volunteer clinic
Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJuly 3, 2016
This was a volunteer clinic with a small budget. We served many needy individuals with minimal staff. The clinic could have used a few full time employees to perform better.
Pros
many patients in need of services
Cons
not able to meet all patients needs
Volunteer job
Unpaid Internship (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 26, 2016
Unpaid internship

Scanned medical documents

No longer volunteering there

Office setting

Data Entry

Through CIP got placed at internship
Awesome place
Volunteer RN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 9, 2015
I did not work here, completed a student clinic rotation. Staff was excellent. Provided excellent patient care. Prime example of a medical home. Wish I could work there.
Very and Knoweldgeable staff and Doctors
Extern/Medical Assisting (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 3, 2015
I completed my extern at this facility and was very impressed with the friendliness and the giving and caring spirit of all the nurses and doctors who give freely of their time and expertise to help uninsured clients get the medical help they need.
Rewarding workplace to services the people who are in need of medical advice and supplies
Front desk (Current Employee) –  Columbus, INJune 30, 2015
Patients come in to our non-profit location and receive the help they need. We make sure they get the medicine they need for a very low price and explain to them how to better take care of them selves. All of my co-workers come from different hospitals so each has there own special skill that they can apply here.
Pros
You get to save and improve lives.
Cons
I don't get to work here everyday. I'm just a volunteer.
Caring environment with quality caregivers.
Clinical Experience (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORJune 12, 2015
A great resource for our community, meeting needs for an underserved population. The doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and support staff work hard to ensure a good patient experience.
Volunteers in Medicine
Medical Records Technician (Current Employee) –  Springfield, OROctober 3, 2014
I have learned so much from my volunteer position at Volunteers in Medicine. I have gained great experience working in the records department and adhering to HIPAA requirements. Volunteers in Medicine is a non-profit organization. It has been a life changing experience while also gaining work experience.
Pros
getting the opportunity to learn from so many knowledgeable physicians and staff.
Cons
this is not a paid position.
Great community resource
Mental Health Counseling Intern (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORJuly 25, 2014
VIM is a great place to work, everyone is very supportive and the work is so fulfilling and rewarding.
A nice place to work and meet people.
LVN-Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Indio, CAJuly 25, 2014
I have very much enjoyed everything about VIM, the doctors and nurses and staff that I work with have been very helpful. The patients are grateful to be able to come to a place and get help. It's very heart warming. I am glad that I have the opportunity to help make someone's day better.
Pros
it is all good.
Cons
i have none.
Fun internal environment that could be hampered by a slow schedule
Volunteer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORJune 27, 2014
A typical day at work would be calling in prescriptions to outside pharmacies, updating customer files, rotating medications in stock and answering patient calls.

I learned that the medical field, especially within the volunteer spectrum, is incredibly intricate ballet between insurance providers, patient qualifications and prescription quantities.

Management was responsive and supportive and my coworkers were most pleasant and enjoyable to be around.

Hardest part of the job was learning the computer system and interpreting the data it provided you.

The most enjoyable part of the job was calling in prescriptions to outside pharmacies as the staff were always interesting and entertaining.
Pros
fun people, healthy atmosphere
Cons
repetitive work.

Want to know more about Volunteers in Medicine?

Ask a question
Very educating
Medical Office Assistant Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 17, 2014
Checkung in patients and scheduling appointments. Very friendly
Volunteer position in a generous and compassionate facility.
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORJanuary 6, 2014
Receptionist in a medical office. Great supportive team that taught me me how to navigate the software. The clients there were very appreciative of the services we offered and I was touched every day by the warm display of compassion of the managers and providers at the facility.
meets a growing need in todays economy
Triage RN (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 18, 2013
Volunteers in med is a great place for nurses who wnt to keep their skills up to date
Pros
everyone is friendly you can pray with a patient if they ask, and not worry about getting in trouble
Cons
it is volunteer work so you don't get paid
This is a Volunteer position
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bend, OROctober 22, 2013
This was a great opportunity to stay current with my Medical Assistant skills while between jobs.
It was pretty unorganized and not well supervised but typically experienced people volunteered there and we would figure things out as we went along.
Vmsn
Medical Assistant Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 20, 2013
A great place to give back to the community while still brushing up on your clinical learning
Wonderful environment and a worthy cause.
Externship (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 4, 2013
My time a Volunteers In Medicine was very rewarding. I was there mainly to provide my coding experience. The managers, staff, and other volunteers were amazing. So many, took time out of their own lives to help others. The hardest part of the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning more about coding and all the peole that I was able to meet and work with.
Great Work Environment
Greeter / Volunteer (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJuly 18, 2013
Greet patients, verify patient information, retrieve lab results, answer phones, schedule patients.
Pros
patients, drs, co-workers
Cons
only volunteer positions available
People are great to work with at this very important free healthcare facility where most employees are volunteering their time.
Volunteer Biller (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INApril 6, 2013
This was a wonderful opportunity to use some of the skills I obtained at Ivy Tech in medical coding. The management there are always excited to have your help. I love working with Isalus and would love to get into the meat of the billing software. I have no complaints at all except that I would love to learn more.
Pros
learn new software
Cons
no pay but very rewarding in other ways.
An excellent company which offers medical services to those who cannot otherwise afford it
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INFebruary 22, 2013
I am currently working as a volunteer medical assistant. I believe strongly in this company and I believe in helping people. I will be moving to Colorado in the next month or so, therefore, I did not want to seek out a paying job only to leave shortly after.
Productive and fun workplace.
Medical Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORDecember 17, 2012
I enjoy being part of a team whose mission is to help those that are less fortunate to receive health insurance. This was a very satisfying position.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Volunteers in Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

4.7