Volunteers in Medicine

Volunteers in Medicine Employer Reviews

Great community resource
Mental Health Counseling Intern (Former Employee), Bend, ORJuly 25, 2014
VIM is a great place to work, everyone is very supportive and the work is so fulfilling and rewarding.
A nice place to work and meet people.
LVN-Volunteer (Current Employee), Indio, CAJuly 25, 2014
Pros: it is all good.
Cons: i have none.
I have very much enjoyed everything about VIM, the doctors and nurses and staff that I work with have been very helpful. The patients are grateful to be able to come to a place and get help. It's very heart warming. I am glad that I have the opportunity to help make someone's day better.
Fun internal environment that could be hampered by a slow schedule
Volunteer Support Technician (Former Employee), Springfield, ORJune 27, 2014
Pros: fun people, healthy atmosphere
Cons: repetitive work.
A typical day at work would be calling in prescriptions to outside pharmacies, updating customer files, rotating medications in stock and answering patient calls.

I learned that the medical field, especially within the volunteer spectrum, is incredibly intricate ballet between insurance providers, patient qualifications and prescription quantities.

Management – more... was responsive and supportive and my coworkers were most pleasant and enjoyable to be around.

Hardest part of the job was learning the computer system and interpreting the data it provided you.

The most enjoyable part of the job was calling in prescriptions to outside pharmacies as the staff were always interesting and entertaining. – less
Very educating
Medical Office Assistant Volunteer (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJune 17, 2014
Checkung in patients and scheduling appointments. Very friendly
Volunteer position in a generous and compassionate facility.
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Springfield, ORJanuary 6, 2014
Receptionist in a medical office. Great supportive team that taught me me how to navigate the software. The clients there were very appreciative of the services we offered and I was touched every day by the warm display of compassion of the managers and providers at the facility.
meets a growing need in todays economy
Triage RN (Current Employee), Chattanooga, TNDecember 18, 2013
Pros: everyone is friendly you can pray with a patient if they ask, and not worry about getting in trouble
Cons: it is volunteer work so you don't get paid
Volunteers in med is a great place for nurses who wnt to keep their skills up to date
This is a Volunteer position
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Bend, OROctober 22, 2013
This was a great opportunity to stay current with my Medical Assistant skills while between jobs.
It was pretty unorganized and not well supervised but typically experienced people volunteered there and we would figure things out as we went along.
VMSN
Medical Assistant Volunteer (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 20, 2013
A great place to give back to the community while still brushing up on your clinical learning
Wonderful environment and a worthy cause.
Externship (Former Employee), Bloomington, INSeptember 4, 2013
My time a Volunteers In Medicine was very rewarding. I was there mainly to provide my coding experience. The managers, staff, and other volunteers were amazing. So many, took time out of their own lives to help others. The hardest part of the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning more about coding and all the peole that I – more... was able to meet and work with. – less
Great Work Environment
Greeter / Volunteer (Current Employee), El Cajon, CAJuly 18, 2013
Pros: patients, drs, co-workers
Cons: only volunteer positions available
Greet patients, verify patient information, retrieve lab results, answer phones, schedule patients.
People are great to work with at this very important free healthcare facility where most employees are volunteering their time.
Volunteer Biller (Current Employee), Bloomington, INApril 6, 2013
Pros: learn new software
Cons: no pay but very rewarding in other ways.
This was a wonderful opportunity to use some of the skills I obtained at Ivy Tech in medical coding. The management there are always excited to have your help. I love working with Isalus and would love to get into the meat of the billing software. I have no complaints at all except that I would love to learn more.
An excellent company which offers medical services to those who cannot otherwise afford it
Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Bloomington, INFebruary 22, 2013
I am currently working as a volunteer medical assistant. I believe strongly in this company and I believe in helping people. I will be moving to Colorado in the next month or so, therefore, I did not want to seek out a paying job only to leave shortly after.
Productive and fun workplace.
Medical Scheduler (Former Employee), Springfield, ORDecember 17, 2012
I enjoy being part of a team whose mission is to help those that are less fortunate to receive health insurance. This was a very satisfying position.
A great place that helps people who need care
Volunteer (Current Employee), Springfield, ORDecember 8, 2012
I get there at 8:30 am, and get what I will be working on. Then I return phone calls, and schedule patients, and anything else that needs to be done.
nice place to work
Medical Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee), Lebanon, PAOctober 22, 2012
Pros: learned all i need to know to work in an office environment
Cons: its all based on volunteering so i couldn't get a paying job there.
I had a great experience and I learned alot. I met alot of wonderful people who helped me learn so much.
never a dull moment amazing place to work at.
Volunteer Receptionist (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 2, 2012
A typical work day was always busy but so productive, to know that your helping so many people is a wonderful feeling. i learned patience, complete understanding ,and i gained a sense of humor because laughter keeps you sane. The management team or anyone else in a position of authority was always amazing and knew exactly what they were doing. I had – more... a blast working with so many new people i gained something from everyone of them. On a day to day basis things got most difficult when i had to deal with patient concern forms, because sometimes there was nothing the clinic could do, but all in all i loves the patients and being able to help them. – less
Excellent staff and fun work environment
RN - Volunteer (Current Employee), El Cajon, CAAugust 1, 2012
Friendly free medical clinic, work in a fast paced environment where we see patients back to back. Intake patients and get there vitals and past medical history. Perform assessments, and any treatments as needed. Help out physician with any tasks, and work together as a team.
Extremely good environment and management
Front Office Scheduler (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 29, 2012
Pros: the best part was to be part of team of professionals who i learned alot from.
Cons: that i wasn't able to spend more time there because of my schedule.
Retrieve incoming messages and make call backs. Turn on computer. Gather charts for patients who have appointments that day and organize them with the doctor they will be seeing.
Answer phones and provided information regarding the eligilbility process and any other questions. Schedule appointments and assist with anything else such as faxing, locating – more... a doctor or nurse if there was something urgent.
All co-workers, doctors and nurses are volunteering there time and all very easy and fun to work with. This was a very educating and gratifying experience, especially since there was no pay involved. – less
AWESOME Experience!!!
Data Entry/Front & Back Office Clerk (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 8, 2012
Pros: great learning exprience
Cons: heavy competitiveness among volunteers to obtain paid employment
Perform the tasks of greeting patients and scheduling appointments
Responsible for handling and managing the continuous flow of information in the health care center
Handle the tasks of organizing and maintaining medical forms and office stationary required for front desk activities
Perform responsibilities of registering patients by following the protocols – more... of the organization
Responsible for checking and verifying the accuracy of medical record and insurance information of patient
Handle the tasks of preparing and maintaining patient's medical charts
Perform essential clerical tasks like faxing, e-mail, and data entry
Responsible for welcoming patients and checking in patients for appointments
Handle incoming calls and respond to queries in a warm and professional manner
Perform responsibilities of maintaining and updating patient's insurance and demographic information in the system
Communicate with bookkeeping staff to gather information on current patient's accounts
Responsible for collecting payments from patient's by following the insurance guidelines
Perform the tasks of receiving and distributing mails and faxes on a daily basis – less