VOLUNTEERS OF AMERICA TEXAS Employee Reviews in United States

Passionate Staff. Trending in the right direction.
Staff (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 1, 2016
New CEO is moving agency in the right direction. Colleagues are passionate about those we serve. We serve more than 8,000 individuals annually and it's nice going to work knowing that you are making a difference.
Pros
Work life balance.
Cons
Pay, opportunities for advancement.
Terrible place to work
Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 12, 2016
Clients, although addicts, are easily swayed by the current management. Counselors grouping together - telling clients lies just to get another counselor fired. Clients are very susceptible to this, one day you could be their favorite and the next you aren't. You have to be constantly aware of you which co-worker you may offend next, because all of them get offended by the slightest things. Management very racist, not helpful at all, extremely hostile. A typical day at work is very cliquey. One person does the job, and the rest huddle around each other and spread gossip, without lifting as much as a finger. Everyone is "too good" for the work place, and are only there for the money.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, no work being done, racism at a constant rate, management very poor
Humbling work
worker (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 28, 2015
Great job, teaches you a lot about addiction. You watch these woman work hard to try and learn all these essential tools to live a sober life. The only negative thing I would have to say is management could be better here. Counselor workload is heavy, and you have got to stay on top of it. Pay could be better, but it is a non profit. No overtime. Free food sometimes. Basically an okay job, some good people, some not so good people. Oh, insurance is a little expensive. A LOT OF GOSSIP BETWEEN MANAGEMENT AND SELECT STAFF!!!!!!!!!
Review Summary for VOA
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Euless, TXSeptember 15, 2015
Typical day at at work includes but not limited to serving and assisted adult individuals with special mental and physical needs for every day living.
I learned how to communicate and better care for adult individuals with special needs and about their unique personalities and to further positively assimilate them into the community.

My coworkers and I work cooperatively to assist our beloved individuals with special needs.

The hardest part of the job was the physical strain as my coworkers and I assisted our clients with transferring them from their wheelchair to their bed or vice versa.

Most enjoyable part of the job was to be the hands and feet of Jesus while caring for adult individuals with special mental and physical needs.
Pros
Paid outings, opportunity to eat and enjoy family dinner style with clients, opportunity and enjoyed integrating them in to the community
Cons
strenuous lifting, assisting with private hygenical needs
Horrible place to work, poor management
CASE WORKER (Former Employee) –  HUTCHINSJune 20, 2015
Worked at a branch where it was very raciest. Employees threaten one another and management does nothing about it because they know that management does the same thing. Never knew how many days you were going to work or if you were going to work at all that week. If it was extremely bad weather for example snow and ice on the roadway, you had better be at work, no matter if you had a
wreck or not. They constantly called you phone every 10 minutes if you were late even though you called stating you were going to be late. Other employees never showed up on time for their shifts so you were stuck there until your relieve came. ONCE AGAIN HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK, POOR MANAGEMENT.
Pros
NONE
Cons
EVERYTHING

2.6