Volunteers of America Employee Reviews

Typical work day
Greenbriar Apartments, Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 18, 2017
I've learned a lot about property management. Our work place is very easy going, casual dressed. The hardest part of the job is maintaining the constant violations from the residents. The most enjoyable part is when I can help a resident with an issue they may have with their unit, neighbor and when their spouse passes away. My typical day at work is greeting residents, answering phones, accounts payable and annual re-certification interviews.
Pros
enjoy working with co workers & company is very relaxed
Cons
no one like to make difficult management decisions
All they care about is the bottom line.
Dietary Manager (Current Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNNovember 17, 2017
When you are the manager you are required to pick up any and all open shifts. However being so short staff I somehow am working almost everyday 6am to 8pm. While doing three jobs. Then (yes there is more) they sit there and lecture you about the over time that you are racking up...what should I do let the tenants starve??
Fair
Security Staff Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21205November 17, 2017
Work is steady and challenging at times. You have to be Fair, Firm and impartial when dealing with the detainees at the facility. I provide care, custody and control to ensure a safe environment.
productive
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 15, 2017
A organization that focus is on helping others be successful and maintain the procedures and policies. My most enjoyable part of working in this company is seeking the applicants that will provide above adequate services to those individuals we support or the other hand the hardest part of my job is just the opposite not being able to find the correct applicants for the individuals we support.
upbeat place to work it's what you make of your day
Steward (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYNovember 15, 2017
I been there 1 year 3 months and I feel it's beneficial for the long hall. staff is good to work with. I enjoy helping the clients. They give you advances quickly.
Overall great place to work!
Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Anoka, MNNovember 13, 2017
Love that you have the opportunity to grow here! Started as a receptionist, moved to medical records and currently in sales and marketing. Supportive management helps you find your perfect fit within the company.
Great working with clients in need on a schedule that you create.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 13, 2017
Flexible work environment. It provides time to cater to your client and family needs. Many travel options as well as networking in conferences throughout several cities.
Great Way of getting into Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 13, 2017
A normal day for Volunteers of America is a group meeting and then went in the backroom to go through the donation. I would go out on the sale floor and organize the clothes (and other items that Volunteers of America sales).
Voa
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNNovember 9, 2017
Bad management always understaffed and didn't care to change the outcome or come in to help. Nurses where rude and wasn't willing to help when needed. Just all around bad environment.
Pros
N/a
No Voice
Infant and Toddler Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CANovember 8, 2017
If you enjoy working and never giving your option on anything then this is the place for you. As long as you do what your told and are on the supervisors good side everything will be fine. However as soon and you mess up it becomes harder to work there.
Pros
the children
Cons
everything else
Steady paced job
TRIO Upward Bound Pacoima Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 8, 2017
As a tutor my duties were to mostly watch over the kids and make sure they stay on task as well as answer any questions they may have. Overall, it was a god experience but just did not have enough hours of work for me.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Not enough hours
I love this job!
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MENovember 8, 2017
Most everyone here is really supportive and really cares about the clients. I think my supervisor and managers want everyone to do good work so the clients can succeed. Really good pay and tons of time off for vacation and sick time. That's probably why people call in. There are a lot of staff that work here. I haven't seen much turnover for such a big bunch of people.
Pros
Clients, supervisors, overtime if I want it
Cons
Some staff don't want to work which is irritating but I know its not the companies fault
Productive Work Place
Client Care Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2017
Hand's on position a great starter company to build up your resume. There is great room for growth since they are located in about every state. Overall great company with great benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Breaks
its fair.
Front Desk Monitor/Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2017
A lot of work have to have patients be on time and on point with everything. Its enjoyable and productive. I learned how to work in a very fast pace. Get more than one task done at the same time and on time.
setting good examples through evidence based practice
Graduate Student Intern in the Social Work Program (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 7, 2017
As an intern at VOA I learned how to conduct group counseling sessions, write case notes, and develop treatment plans. Staff is very knowledgeable and considerate.
Pros
Frequent team meetings keep everybody on the same page
Cons
staff turnover is high
Voa
Staff Support (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 5, 2017
VOA is a great place to work if you are retired and/or has nothing to do. Its not meant for those of us who has bills to pay and needs to make a living. Management is pretty bad with communication and very misformed me. I read I would be making 15.00 and hour and Im only making 10.50 which is nothing for a 1100 dollar rent with other bills.

But like I said, its made for individuals who are retired and or bored.
Cons
lack of pay, not truthful, misinformations
Typical Day
Community Specialist (Current Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLNovember 4, 2017
Constant interruptions and network problems, but I learned to multitask and get the job done in spite circumstance. Management is usually engaged in meetings and events with supervisors left un checked to create their own rules. The majority of the staff is latino, with the hardest par being loud speaking in the hall and gossip.
However, the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a participant leave with their head up high b ecause they finished the program suscessfully.
Pros
Good activities for the clients
Cons
Conflicted directives and preferencial treatment to supervisors
Great Mission
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 3, 2017
Great place to work if focusing on social work. Great focus on services with Homeless Youth. Work is rewarding, Great organization and great management.
Intense work atmosphere, departments not cohesive
Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 3, 2017
Large organization, that doesn't always feel cohesive or supportive of the many departments within the organization. Communication within the agency not always clear. Population served, and purpose of agency services are much needed, but not always carried out in the most efficient and effective way possible.
Great pay and benefits but not so great management
Occupancy Specialist (Former Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 2, 2017
Very poor management. The salary and benefits were amazing but, for what had to be dealt with, not sure if it was necessarily worth it. Office is in the basement of one of the properties.