Volunteers of America Employee Reviews

Fun work place, very easy
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  New Albany, INSeptember 22, 2016
You may get bored so always have something on you. The homes are so easy. It's not a hard job, but not everyone can do this type of work. I love working here. The pay isn't the best tho.
Pros
Its not a hard job at all
Cons
You might get left by yourself for a couple hours
part time employees
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 20, 2016
need more benefits for part time employees as far as holiday pay and sick leave are concerned
need more employee protection
monthly meetings for part time employees who may have other obligations during the week
Pros
saturday/ sunday schedule
Cons
no hoiliday pay or good sick time
Incredible - in the worst way possible
Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYSeptember 14, 2016
Thus place has lost nearly every person in a leadership position over the past year. Everyone jumped ship. Now one person is the CEO, CFO, and COO. Good luck working at this place. You can make more money at Wendy's.
Commitment to youth
FAS Camp Counselor/Storyteller (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 13, 2016
The agency is committed to working with youth and grandparents of children who's parents are dealing with addiction. They have great programs that at least engage thier clients.
Pros
great work model
Cons
rigid in cultural exclusion
Poor management
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mather, CASeptember 13, 2016
Day at work would be conducting intakes to ensure proper qualification in the program , once qualified would assist with resume building interview techniques and job search. then input all the information into a database monitored by the department of labor to ensure we are adhering to the proper grant guidelines.
I have learned how to use a multitude of resources in an effort to help homeless veterans find jobs and shelter
the one co worker I currently work with is amazing and knows the job an outstanding resource.
the hardest part of the job is the ever changing politics from the management they seem to never know what is going on as they are never here and when they are they try to reinvent the wheel.
the most gratifying part of the job is watching someone succeed and you had a hand in it.just an amazing feeling
Pros
The ability to help our veterans
Cons
the management's inability to manage
Professional Setting Great Philosophy
RECEPTIONIST/ASST. ACCOUNTING CLERK (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 6, 2016
Daily responsibilities were to answer phones and file away documents. I would happily assist whoever came into the office with whatever they needed. I would assist with data input as well as archiving.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
No Benefits
I liked working for VOA
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Everett, WASeptember 6, 2016
VOA does much for the community and as part of their ECEAP personnel we worked hard to provide education to low income families.
opportunity to take care of others
casregiver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 6, 2016
For me a typical day at work should be productive and meaningful. It should be filled with encouragement and learning new things. The workplace should be a place to help others in any way possible. To do your absolute best and show your skills.
caring,loving place just to help people in need
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 5, 2016
A good place to work to help people who have a need. Help individuals with special needs to learn how to care for themselves to become productive people living independent.
Pros
a chance to help people to do for themselves
Needs to restructure
None (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2016
Organization needs to restructure. Proper systems in finance need to be implemented. Organization is controlled by the program staff and program staff has no clue.
well never before played ping pong game but good friend of mine took some extra time to teach me how to play. slowly and steady i learnt to play.
Landscaping Technician (Former Employee) –  Mather, CAAugust 31, 2016
today had a new employee to train since im the certified trainer took extra time in training and going over safety procedure s.
Voa
Direct Support Professional III (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 26, 2016
I worked here for almost 10 years. The company offers good benefits. They offer quality care to their clients and treat their employees well.
Loved helping the clients
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento County, CAAugust 17, 2016
A typical work week would include having new guests coming in to the program and old guests leaving. It was a constant change of clients we served. I would cook multiple meals for the guests. Cleaning their bedrooms, laundry was a daily task. Making sure they were safe at all times was my main priority.
Pros
Enjoy helping people
Cons
The pay wasn't beneficial
Rewarding Job
Visitation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 14, 2016
Really enjoyable work, loved seeing positive changes within families. Supervisors were given the chance to see families grow stronger and reunite.
Pros
Reimbursed for miles driven, great staff.
Cons
Pay, undependable hours, program ended.
Always on top of my work meeting my clients needs.
Medication Technician (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 14, 2016
Very interesting on the second day at work when state license also happen to visit the facility for their normal annual review.
It was a very tough day for me dealing with this particular resident who don't want to take his meds but at the end of it, a co-worker came to assist and all went on well.
But on the next day, this resident approached me and said he always do that to new staff to test their spirit. He actually became a friend to me before I left.
Pool table, reading, computers
Case Monitor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 12, 2016
I enjoy being of help to others, therefore I find jobs that will fall in that field. I love working at Volunteers of America. I have fun with my co-workers. get along well with my supervisors and management. A great place to work for.
You have to have compassion.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 10, 2016
I provide the need for clients day to day living. We are responsible for data entry , cooking ,cleaning , transportation , administer meds etc. This company provides safe and caring living for special need clients.
Pros
Employees care for clients like they are family.
Cons
Not much steability.
poor management
Center Director/Parolee Services Center (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 10, 2016
good place to work, if you are interested in changing the lives of Ex-felons. most of the staff did not care about helping these Ex-felons, they were just there to get a paycheck
productive
Chairman, Sergeant of Arms- Volunteer (Current Employee) –  East Los Angeles, CAAugust 8, 2016
It is a great place to learn so much about school programing. About how it works and what it takes to make it work
it is great because I got the opportunity to attend the state conference in Nashville Tennessee and I met great people and shared ideas and interest with them about the program.
Pros
meet new people
Cons
once a month meetings, wish there was more
Mission and People are Great
Information Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2016
My co-workers and I had a great, friendly and cooperative work relationship.

However, management had unrealistic expectations on projects. We were under staffed and had too many managers pulling us off of one project to complete another.

Management seldom practiced the principles espoused in the company's "Shared Values".
Pros
Benefits (medical and others)
Cons
Overworked and Under Paid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Volunteers of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Volunteers of America Reviews by Location