Volunteers of America Employee Reviews

work place enviornment
Case manager (Current Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 16, 2018
Little room for promotional opportunities and limit assistance with addressing issues within the work place.
Hardest part of the job is balancing work and home.
Pros
Working with veterans
Cons
little promotion
Laid back but can be more organized
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 16, 2018
Some days are better than others
I've learned how to deal with clients with mental behaviors, how to properly pass medication, etc.
Honestly management can improve by improving their organization skills.
The workplace culture is mixed with varied.
I'll say the hardest part of my job is learning how to deal with certain clients and their behaviors when they are upset.
The most enjoyable part of my job is doing activities with the clients and actually listening and learning more about them.
Making a difference in people's lives
Parent Child Visitation Representative (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 14, 2018
This organization gives opportunities for parents who otherwise would not be able to, to spend time with their children. DSHS has put most of the children in the foster system due to court mandated reasons.
The facilitator monitors these visited to help parents learn to react to children in the best possible manner. The successful facilitator is able to assist in putting parents and children back together as a household.
Good place for experience
Rehabilitation Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDJanuary 14, 2018
This was a good place to work for experience. My supervisor was excellent and did a great job in helping me become a better manager. She was able to give me a great reference as well.
Pros
Food
Cons
Work Life Balance
Management needs to be trained.
Resident Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 13, 2018
The Management there when i worked there did not know what to do. They used staff and when they were done with them they fired him. Not professional..
Pros
holidays off paid
Cons
Working at VOAC was very rewarding especially with them being a church
HR Compliance Administrator (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDJanuary 12, 2018
I was happy to provide administrative support to the employees who give care to the disabled population we services. Making myself available to the employees was very rewarding.
Pros
Service oriented organization
Cons
restructing
Great to start but not for the long haul!
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2018
Volunteers of America can be a great place to start for someone wanting to break into the social service field. You can learn a lot if your surrounded by the right people and also great hands on experience. The culture within the organization is very poor and somewhat toxic. They do not give raises, bonuses etc. This organization is very poorly managed since a big change in leadership that took place in 2013.
Pros
There are many work sites and different populations to choose from.
Cons
Poor leadership, nepotism, lack of professionalism and poor management.
Not for profit Foster care office has closed-
Foster Care Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2018
Very stressful work due to the government foster care system, not by any fault of the management of Volunteers of America. The managers and Director were great to work for and were always ready to help the social workers in any way they could
Typical Day At Work
Benefit Entitlement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 11, 2018
A typical day at work consist of depending on the residents needs. It can be fast paced or it can be slow paced. It can be chaotic but that's what you signed up for when working in the Human Service field.
Love this job
Residential Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 10, 2018
This is a great job with a great staff. We are a low barrier program and it can take some getting use to. As long as you genuinely want to help people this is a great fit.
Stressful Environment
Facilitator/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LA 70119January 10, 2018
My role as QMRP/ QDDP (Qualified Developmental Disability Professional) was very exciting at first, but became very demanding and overwhelming at times.

On a typical day, I managed and audited group homes while managing three home managers. I also was on twenty four call without a rotation which was very overwhelming and frustrating with my personal and family life.

The hardest part of my job was showing up for work after covering a shift and returning the next day without very little rest.

The most enjoyable part of my job was advocating and supporting the clients that were assigned to the group homes I managed.
Pros
Love my staff and clients
Cons
Very little support from management
Its a job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 10, 2018
It was a job that got me to pay my books and other expenses for school. I was paid minimum wage which was 7.35 or so. Fellow associates were nice but management made me cry a lot after work. Most of them yelled at you or put in a department that is more of a two person job.
A day at VOA
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 10, 2018
A typical day at the VOA is fast passed. Dealing with inmates can be very difficult most days. The hardest part of my job is the overload of work and driving to Cincinnati. I enjoy hearing the clients stories on how they ended up where they are.
Nice envirnment ; Very slow paced
Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDJanuary 10, 2018
Atypical day at work is clock in at 9 and sit at the desk while answering phone calls and taking care of day to day business in the office place whether it be calling members of the DoD or setting up meetings for the Vice president and other staff.
Has its ups and downs
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 8, 2018
I enjoyed my co-workers but not management. Great pay but no job security since it was grant funded. Had to take work home consistently which took away my family time.
Pros
Salary
Great workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Midtown New York, NYJanuary 8, 2018
Loved my time there it was a great experience and would recommend this job to anyone. The environment and staff were great. The clients were great and the facility was clean.
Pros
excellent hours
Cons
n/a
Loved working at Volunteers of America Utah
Division Director, Senior Services (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 6, 2018
I was there for 2-1/2 years and loved working there. Staff and management truly care about the mission of Volunteers of America and appreciates the work of the staff. Some of the work is very difficult, but management makes staff feel important and valuable.
Pros
Great mission, caring staff, job fulfillment
Cons
Needs for funding
Pros and Cons
Veterans Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 5, 2018
Management was supportive in countless ways. Later, there was a lot of posturing for advancement which was uncomfortable.

Work flow was designed around available/afforable technology - not the other way around. This made for incessent, complex "work arounds" which distracted from organizational focus.

Overall, an organization dedicated to its purpose.
Pros
Flexible work hours, work from home opportunities, team-building and training opportunities.
Cons
low "non-profit" pay, small increases in pay (> 3% per year), no increases in PTO for longevity, poor integration of technology into work flow.
Fast-pace environment
Maintenance 2 Worker/ Asst. Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2018
There is a lot of work available at Volunteers of America, but not a high enough wage to support ones family. There are no Safe start programs to teach maintenance workers how to properly use tools. There are no vocational training to improve the quality of work performed by maintenance staff.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Salaries are not dependable.
Volunteers of america- Delaware valley
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJJanuary 4, 2018
I loved it there I learned a whole lot of information that I currently use in the work that I do now. I loved working with the inmates and the staff, I would still be there if I did not move away.