VOLUSIA COUNTY SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Great retirement pension.
Technology Teacher/ Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Port Orange, FLFebruary 29, 2016
Typical Teacher work day.I get to school early everyday to prepare myself for success. I start up my lab and do a mental checklist of all that is needed for the day. As the day goes on I reflect on my successes and my failures and plan to improve on the areas that may need it. We have very little interaction from "management" as we are in our own setting (classroom) and control our own environment yet they are there if needed. I am in a remote part of the building and not to close to other co-workers, although I work well with others and enjoy interaction and consorting on projects. The hardest part of my job would be finding funds to operate my class as it can get really expensive. I have had much success this year writing six grants and receiving five of them.The most enjoyable part of my day is when I see that students enjoy and appreciate all the hard work that I do for them to have a nurturing, safe, and educational environment. This may not happen on a daily basis but does more often than not.
Cons
no raise in 5 years
Vulnerable schools
Reading Teacher, Middle School (Current Employee) –  Deltona, FLMarch 14, 2017
VCS have little care for professional teachers. Second lowest pay in the state, with minimal protection for teachers in the classroom; no phones, video, oversized and EBD, and ESE students too many in the classroom without an assistant. The turnover is so high in this county augmented by ridiculous extra requirements for certification by not accepting out of state transcripts. Teach in another state... at least another county. All they use is the fresh young blood or almost retirement folks without a clue on how devilish children have become in the public school system.
Pros
free parking
Cons
you will go broke
Great way to get involved with the younger children of the community and try to make a difference,
Extended Day Group Leader (Current Employee) –  DeLand, FLDecember 27, 2016
A typical work day consist of making sure that the children make it to their after school area. The children (depending on the school) will either have snack time or dinner time. They will also have a set amount of time to do homework and group leaders can assist with it. The children also have outdoor play time and indoor play time.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me is helping the children better understand their homework.
Very stressful
Cafeteria Manager, cafeteria assistant (Former Employee) –  Deltona, FL, and south Daytona elementaryMarch 9, 2017
Did not mind the work or the hours. Enjoyed working with the children. But when I was not allowed to feed children that didn't have money and pay for it myself and have a child go hungry I couldn't. Or if I helped other workers to finish as a manager or assistant it was wrong. Not my way of thinking.
Pros
Loved the children
Advancements were a plus
Substitute Teacher/Office Specialist II (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLJanuary 10, 2016
I started as a volunteer, worked my way up to HR for the school district. Loved working and helping with kids, parents and assisting people that wanted to work for the school system.
Pros
Advancements are welcomed
Cons
Pay rate is too low for the county, for the entire state of Florida, Benefits were reduced due to budget cuts (this has happened several times throughout the years).
No teacher respect
Teacher (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLDecember 6, 2016
When I left, (it is still occurring per current teachers), the school board showed no respect to the teachers. Teachers were overworked, underpaid, disrespected, and blamed for anything that went on in the county. We had pay reductions, benefit reductions with a higher cost, and the cleanliness of the schools were deplorable.
Giving students with disabilities the skills needed to become productive in the community
Paraprofessional 4 in ESE, VE, Mild (Current Employee) –  Volusia County, FLAugust 6, 2016
Teaches students will disabilities skills needed to take care of themselves in the physical world. Students are taught skills to take on jobs in areas of their ability. Students are taken out into the community to businesses where they can practice these skills during career based enterprise.
Very demanding work loads without the a fair compensation
Comprehensive Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMarch 8, 2015
Volusia County strives to achieve the best overall grade of success for all students. Teachers and instructional support staff however are given high work loads and demands in addition to their work contract. The county overall is one of the lowest paying counties in the state of Florida. They do not value the teachers and all that is put on us. The VTO has been our support that includes allowing us more time to actually teach, to make our compensation comparable to other counties in the state, as well as provide us with more resources to teach the common core standards.,
Pros
safe, great staff, and administration
Cons
lack of pay raises, not listening to teachers and what matters as an employee
Highly Educated and Professional Workforce
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLNovember 8, 2015
Wonderful place to work and lucky to be a part of a 'super team'. The most enjoyable part of the job is the rewarding feeling you get helping the schools get what they need to do their jobs. Everything that we do is always in the best interest of the public and the children.
Pros
People, holiday breaks, travel, the kids
Cons
Benefits, compensation
Cooperative workplace with sprinkled with rewarding moments of teaching mentorship.
Physics Teacher (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLApril 2, 2013
On paper, the day of a teacher should run from 7:30 to 2:45. In reality, I spend usually more than 50 hours per week in and out of class (writing lessons and tests, running extracurriculars, grading, calling parents, etc.). Luckily, everyone in the faculty and staff are very encouraging and helpful.
Pros
summer vacation, benfits, satisfaction of doing good for my community
Cons
long hours, low compensation
No fun anymore
Teacher (Current Employee) –  DeLand, FLJune 28, 2016
Teaching used to be a fun profession, but with all the top-down mandates from the state and district, students have become data points! Each day is a lesson in frustration for students, parents, teachers, and most administrators.
Pros
Time off to recuperate from the mountains of stress!
Cons
Poor pay, little respect, huge stress, disappointment in a job that could be the best job in the world, but no longer is!
Currently Employed as a Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ormond Beach, FLAugust 1, 2016
Passionate Teachers who work very hard to provide the best and most up-to-date education to its students. Large district with a lot of employees to manage and coordinate.
Great job for me with 2 children off in the Summer with medical benefits
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Deltona, FLSeptember 24, 2012
Answered phones and helped teachers, students and administrators with whatever needed. Did data entry. Co-workers all nice. Hard to deal with angry parents and out of control students with little support from administrators. Enjoyed helping run things smoothly so educators could educate!!
Pros
medical benefits, off when my kids were off
Cons
dealing with angry parents and students
I enjoy working for this company
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJuly 14, 2016
Its ok company to work for. I don't have any problem only the pay skill for subs. are low. A days work is good I just come in and due what is laid out for the students to do.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Very supportive and great company to work for.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  DeLand, FLJune 15, 2016
I really enjoy the variety of positions that were available as a substitute. I like working at various schools working for different principals and teachers. I think the opportunities to expand from a substitute to a permanent employee are great also.
Great career.
GIS/Routing Manager (Current Employee) –  DeLand, FLJune 20, 2013
Wonderful place to work, great co-workers. Very busy days filled with excellent customer service. I have met a lot of very nice people here, my supervisor is a very fair and knowledgeable, always has an open door. There has not been anything negative about the job. Excellent benefits and retirement plan.
Pros
Insurance and retirement.
Cons
N/A
Best job ever!
RN-float (Current Employee) –  DeLand, FLJanuary 8, 2015
Float nurse covering one side of district mostly. Enjoyed seeing variety of schools and children. School nurses are thought to just hand out band aids and cold packs, but there is so much more that we do! Pay isn't that great but weekends, holidays, and benefits make up for it!
Overall a great place!
Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Deland floridaFebruary 15, 2013
It's not a bad place to work, but I think money for students is spent in the wrong areas of the district. That is just my opinion, but working for them was fine. A decent job and great benefits.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
going through job cuts and money loss right now.
Great Benefits
Lunch room Lady (Former Employee) –  Lake Helen, FLNovember 30, 2012
I loved working for Volusia County Schools. They are a great compnay with a great benefits package. they are very flexible and treat their employess well.
Pros
great benefits
Administration was professional and available for questions.
MEDIA SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Deltona, FLOctober 27, 2014
I enjoyed working for the Volusia County Schools. A class act.
Pros
benefits and colleagues support
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VOLUSIA COUNTY SCHOOLS. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3