VOLUSIA COUNTY SCHOOLS Employee Reviews in United States

Great retirement pension.
Technology Teacher/ Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Port Orange, FLFebruary 29, 2016
Typical Teacher work day.I get to school early everyday to prepare myself for success. I start up my lab and do a mental checklist of all that is needed for the day. As the day goes on I reflect on my successes and my failures and plan to improve on the areas that may need it. We have very little interaction from "management" as we are in our own setting (classroom) and control our own environment yet they are there if needed. I am in a remote part of the building and not to close to other co-workers, although I work well with others and enjoy interaction and consorting on projects. The hardest part of my job would be finding funds to operate my class as it can get really expensive. I have had much success this year writing six grants and receiving five of them.The most enjoyable part of my day is when I see that students enjoy and appreciate all the hard work that I do for them to have a nurturing, safe, and educational environment. This may not happen on a daily basis but does more often than not.
Cons
no raise in 5 years
Highly Educated and Professional Workforce
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLNovember 8, 2015
Wonderful place to work and lucky to be a part of a 'super team'. The most enjoyable part of the job is the rewarding feeling you get helping the schools get what they need to do their jobs. Everything that we do is always in the best interest of the public and the children.
Pros
People, holiday breaks, travel, the kids
Cons
Benefits, compensation
Very demanding work loads without the a fair compensation
Comprehensive Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMarch 8, 2015
Volusia County strives to achieve the best overall grade of success for all students. Teachers and instructional support staff however are given high work loads and demands in addition to their work contract. The county overall is one of the lowest paying counties in the state of Florida. They do not value the teachers and all that is put on us. The VTO has been our support that includes allowing us more time to actually teach, to make our compensation comparable to other counties in the state, as well as provide us with more resources to teach the common core standards.,
Pros
safe, great staff, and administration
Cons
lack of pay raises, not listening to teachers and what matters as an employee
Substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLApril 3, 2016
I was mainly a substitute teacher and didn't receive much training. I never really got any feedback from the employer except for a mailing correspondence.
Volusia County Schools
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  DeLand, FLJanuary 25, 2016
Volusia County Schools has new leadership and numerous issues to overcome.
Educating children is a good thing and there are many people in the district working hard to achieve excellence despite many obstacles.
Pros
Children
Cons
Education by legislation
Wonderful Learning Experience
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee) –  DeLand, FLJuly 2, 2015
Substitute teaching is a great way to gain new skill and knowledge in the eduction field. A typical day includes classroom management, providing instruction to the students while following the teacher's lesson plans and adhering to all school guidelines and rules.
Pros
Flexiabiliaty, fun environment
Cons
Not steady assigments available
What I enjoyed the most
EOD Director for the Kindergarten Class (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLNovember 14, 2015
I enjoyed everything about this company and the professional level in which it was done. The company takes in to account each individual that they interact with in an attempt to meet their needs.
A productive workplace that was highly involved in the community
Cafeteria Management SERVSAFE CERTIFIED (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLJune 18, 2015
My typical day of work consisted of opening the kitchen, making sure that all appliances were in working order and confirming that my employees would have the resources they needed to do their job that day. Inventory control was a daily task. Ordering and receiving were also daily tasks from a variety of vendors. Volusia County Schools believes strongly in team work. The hardest part of my job was to complete my ordering for each week and remaining within the strict budget proved to me. I enjoyed my job with Volusia County Schools very much.
Pros
working with a great coordinating staff
Cons
none...I enjoyed my position with Volusia County Schools.
A professional environment
SUBSTITUE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Volusia County, FloridaOctober 1, 2015
The faculty and staff were very supportive and helpful. The best part of this job was getting to know the kids and seeing them learn.
Cooperative workplace with sprinkled with rewarding moments of teaching mentorship.
Physics Teacher (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLApril 2, 2013
On paper, the day of a teacher should run from 7:30 to 2:45. In reality, I spend usually more than 50 hours per week in and out of class (writing lessons and tests, running extracurriculars, grading, calling parents, etc.). Luckily, everyone in the faculty and staff are very encouraging and helpful.
Pros
summer vacation, benfits, satisfaction of doing good for my community
Cons
long hours, low compensation

Want to know more about VOLUSIA COUNTY SCHOOLS?

Ask a question
Work is not steady for my hours
Substitute school teacher (Current Employee) –  Port Orange, FLApril 21, 2015
Good place to work; however, I need more steady employment for my required hours.
A typical day at work would be monitoring the children's behavior and making certain that the work is completed.
The hardest part of the day is monitoring the children's behavior. All kids are different and they do not all respond to one technique - especially with a substitute.
My co-workers are great.
The most enjoyable part of the day is when you feel like you helped a child with problem that they are having.
Great students!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJuly 9, 2015
I have worked mostly with elementary students. They have been great to work with! Most of the teachers provide good lesson plans and the co-teaching experience has been helpful.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Poor moral, low pay
Volusia County Schools has many changes ahead of them.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLJanuary 26, 2015
I loved teaching but the way the district was headed and our students were suffering because of it, I took the opportunity to take care of my declining mother-in--law and start our family business. At school, I co-taught 3 and 5th grades and we would split the students by tiers and would teach them based on needs and development. I learned differentiating at VCS and how to fill out a ton of paperwork. The hardest part of the job was seeing what we needed to do for the students but having our hands tied by administration and district leaders. The most enjoyable part was seeing the 'ah-ha' moments in our students faces when they would understand and be able to apply what they had been learning.
Pros
students, co-workers, education
Cons
constraints on learning and micro-managing of administration
Always changing
Registrar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Deland, FlJune 10, 2015
I have given many years to this company and their loyalty came down to money. I really do not have much to say at this point. Just very disappointed with the overall school system HR at the moment.
Best job ever!
RN-float (Current Employee) –  DeLand, FLJanuary 8, 2015
Float nurse covering one side of district mostly. Enjoyed seeing variety of schools and children. School nurses are thought to just hand out band aids and cold packs, but there is so much more that we do! Pay isn't that great but weekends, holidays, and benefits make up for it!
Supportive of Educational professionals, students and families
Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  DeLand, FLMarch 7, 2015
Jam-packed days of answering the phone and assisting students, teachers, parents and administrators. Hardest part of the job is constant multi-tasking which does not allow for completion of daily tasks. Best part of the job is encouraging students when they are having difficulties and making it possible for them to receive an education.
Pros
great insurance
Cons
not enough staff coverage
good, challenging work environment
Avid Tutor/ Substitute (Current Employee) –  Campbell Middle SchoolOctober 24, 2012
My typical day in the classroom is spent implementing the AVID method to middle-schoolers. At the beginning of the session, I begin scoring the students' forms by insuring that they've completed certain sections. Then the class breaks up into tutorial groups based on subject area. I am usually assigned to an Algebra group. I act as a facilitator in this group, assisting students in presenting their problems on the board. I take notes for the presenter while the students ask high-level questions in order to assist the presenter in solving their problem. Near the end of the session, I instruct students to write a reflections on the session. Finally, I grade the forms according to several different criteria. Perhaps the hardest part of the job is classroom management and keeping students engaged and on-task throughout the session. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with students and watching them become more outgoing, responsible young adults.
Pros
good pay
Cons
short hours (3.5)
An excellent place to work with friendly coworkers and kids!
Substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  Volusia County, many different schoolsApril 20, 2015
I loved subbing for Volusia County Schools! The other teachers, as well as principals, were always very helpful and supportive of my efforts during my time there.
Pros
Avery social environment!
Cons
Patience and a genuine love for ALL children, required!!!
High achieving public school district with professional growth opportunities for employees.
Coordinator, Online and Virtual Learning (Current Employee) –  Port Orange, FLJune 2, 2014
Volusia County Schools boasts a strong academic environment that supports students through personalized learning plans and offers growth opportunties for employees through professional learning and advancement through leadership positions.
Pros
support workplace; student-centered; high-achieving
Cons
limited resources due to state mandates that are often unfunded.
Excellent culture for learning
Core, Gifted Teacher, CET trainer (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLApril 14, 2015
Volusia County Schools is a diverse area for teaching in central Florida. The school in which I work has a positive environment and has earned an A rating by the state of Florida. Other schools in the district are not as fortunate.

4.2