Volusion Employee Reviews

Toxic Upper Management
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 23, 2016
Your mileage at this company varies based on which group you're in, which part of the company you work for, and the whims of upper management. I had the good fortune to work for a great manager, but it just drew a sharp contrast with the incompetence, malfeasance, and recklessness of other managers.
Pros
Cool office plan, decent compensation
Cons
You'll lose your mind if you have a sense of integrity
its great
Principal Front End Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 25, 2016
really enjoy working there, smart people, good product, good mix of technology and solutioning. good culture around innovation and autonomy
Continuous learning
Sr. Systems Engineer / Sr. Storage Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 26, 2016
Great place to work, continuous learning experience, fast moving technology. Great perks. So so on health coverage. As a Enterprise and SMB hosting company, you get to see all aspects of the business. Open environment, lots of communication within teams.
Great people, terrible leadership
Implementation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 6, 2015
Volusion highers fantastic people to work with. Unfortunately the upper management treats employees as pawns. I've never seen a company routinely walk out entire departments with no notice.
If you work hard for Volusion you will be able to advance into other roles, however you will get burnt out. The upper management is also not good about compensating fairly or acknowledging you appropriately for your efforts.
Pros
employees, vertical movement, learning opportunities
Cons
poor compensation, little acknowledgement, constantly understaffed
Casual Place to work where everyone tries hard to make a difference
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 25, 2013
It is a company that grew substantially from 2010-2012. This helps create a culture that gives you that feeling of being involved rather than just being a cog in a big machine.

Volusion's HR staff work hard to make life enjoyable by providing Activities that entertain and feed. This keeps morale high and establishes a casual environment. Ironically, the company is inflexible on work hours and remote working - you must be present during core work hours every day.

The company has matured but it has grown beyond what top level leadership can manage. Strategy is non-existent yet demand for software goes up, creating stresses on those producing results. Junior management is unqualified and you do not want to work on their Current Product Team.

Finally, very few developers here are Computer Science graduates; everyone is assigned a technology ".NET Developer, ASP Developer" rather than a general engineering role.
Pros
Casual Culture
Cons
Poor Planning, HealthCare Coverage
Good for entry level position with no growth.
Support Concierge (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasMarch 1, 2012
Volusion, as a whole, is not a bad company to work for. However, if you are in the support department, you are considered bottom-of-the-barrel. This was my department. I learned a considerable amount, took on stressful phone calls, and had a very taxing work experience. This wouldn't be so bad but Volusion would rather have high-turnover than pay their support employees competitive wages, bonuses, or even cost-of-living adjustment raises. Instead, Volusion tries to do a perk-system so employees forget they're being underpaid for doing a job competitors would pay almost double. For example, they will stock the break room with breakfast items and icecream for a few months. Eventually they phase this out though, only to reintroduce it six months later as a "new perk" that everyone should be excited about. In the end, Volusion is not the worst company I've worked for and I appreciate the experience, I should have left a long time ago when I realized there was little room for promotion or raises.
Pros
good entry experience
Cons
no growth, raises, bonuses, etc.
Low pay, long hours, inexperienced sales leader, huge turnover in sales
Sales (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 26, 2014
Volusion is a work hard culture, period.

Work life balance does not exist and the sales leader praises those that work excessive hours.

Advancement is difficult unless you are the chosen few that got in early

In sales, top sales people are promoted and have no managerial training or expertise.

Huge turnover in sales
Pros
Work life balance does not exist, goals set too high monthly
Cons
Free food
Headed in the right direction!
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 30, 2016
Volusion has had some ups and downs in the past and as someone who has worked here for 3.5 years I have seen a lot of them. I have a lot of faith in the leadership and products as they stand today and I am excited to see it all unfold over the next year.
Pros
Unlimited PTO! Workout facility.
Cons
Have to provide or rig your own standing desks.
Crippled Management and poor Product quality
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 21, 2014
Certain leaders of Volusion do not have the skills or integrity to lead. The environment does not foster growth and is managed by fear and will fire employees without reason. HR hides behind the "work at will" state and the non-compete every employee must sign. This limits future opportunities if you leave voluntarily or involuntarily. Volusion masks poor treatment with free ice cream, free lunch a "fun" workplace. Reality is, the legacy platform of is floundering and being out marketed by the competition. The new platform Mozu, in theory is a great refreshing platform for the mid-market, however, is poor quality and cannot meet up to the customer's expectations. The platform has a long road ahead to become the falsely platform marketed on the website and in the product brochures - stretched truth.

Overall, the company has great people and truly believe in delivering quality to the customer. However, the leaders are delusional and in-experienced, the platforms are sub-par in the market - leading to poor quality, bad customer experiences and low employee moral.

I do not recommend working here. Look for a professional company that invests in product and people.
Pros
Nice people, decent benefits
Cons
Bad leadership, poor management, no direction, poor product quality
I Miss This Place
Technical Support Representative, 1 (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJune 24, 2014
This was my first technical support position, and I learned a lot about e-commerce and e-commerce software. It was an excellent place to work, and I loved the team that I worked with and our outstanding manager. The immediate supervisors, however, did tend to look down at us Tech 1's for needing their help, which was frustrating. The office was always doing something fun, some kind of activity or party. Lots of free lunches, video games, and holiday fun. An excellent atmosphere that I truly enjoyed, until the rug was pulled out from under all of us the day they laid everyone off and closed the office to move to another city.
Pros
Parties, lunches, atmosphere
Cons
Management w/ questionable integrity
Productive focus, with a fun shell
Support Concierge (Chat) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 28, 2012
Typical day at work involves clocking in and immediately tackling incoming calls, chats and tickets.

When it is slow, there are fun games, and activities with a young atmosphere.

It can get really stressful at times and sometimes the organization is lacking, but overall, it is a great place to work and to get your Customer Support Career started.
Pros
work provide breakfast foods and the occasional meal. recruiting bonuses
Cons
sometimes no breaks.
OK place to work as long as you are not on the existing Product Team
Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 13, 2013
I agree with the other review on here. Management tends to want new features added at a rapid pace regardless of the quality. This causes employees on the Current Product Team to burn out and leave at a higher than normal rate.
Pros
Smart coworkers
Cons
poor healthcare coverage, can never work from home, loud work environment
Great Place to Learn, Monotonous Work
SEO Writing Intern (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 17, 2015
At Volusion you can learn valuable skills that are extremely relevant to the growing e-commerce presence on the internet. Their SEO technique and tactic is great and seems to have a huge benefit for their clients. The work however can be monotonous, seeing as you are in front of a computer for all eight hours of a work day. The people you work with are great and always willing to help. If being behind a screen doing the same tasks every day but for different clients doesn't bother you then it's great. Gaining the skill set is definitely worth it though.
I was a productive CSR
Payment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Austin TxAugust 25, 2015
My day consisted of answering in & out bound calls, for their hosting and websites. I felt there was not a team work. There is not a growth cycle
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No team work
Fun place to work with great co workers
Senior Support Concierge/Tier (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 3, 2012
With many activities that are setup the workplace hardly seems like a workplace. One of the best teams ive had to work with. We all help each other out when we are having trouble or just need assistance. The pride one takes when troubleshooting or finding creative work arounds for the customers is the best part of being in support.
Efficient Workplace
Technical support representative level 1 at (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CaApril 13, 2013
As a level 1 technical support rep, I initially assisted clients via telephone but moved on to live chat, where I assisted 4 customers at a time. Additionally, I maintained client records and went beyond the scope of support to assist customers.
Fun place to work with good career mobility
Enterprise Support Representative (Mozu) (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 19, 2014
Within the Support organization, there are opportunities to enhance technical acumen and get used to a corporate environment. Email/Phone correspondence is the bread and butter of Support.
Interesting place to work
Exec (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 4, 2013
Volusion is a growing SaaS ecommerce company with many employee perks. They sell and support all of the products that small businesses need to sell online. My immediate team was very focused and hard working and dedicated to the success of the organization.
A great starting point
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 24, 2014
Volusion is a great place to gain experience, but it is somewhat difficult to move up. The majority of my co-workers are a pleasure to work with and the perks are fun, but the pay isn't the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Volusion. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4