Von Maur

Von Maur United States Employee Reviews

Run Away Fast
Department Manager -Manage and train staff of four (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 17, 2015
Pros: Leaving
Cons: Dirty environment combined with formal dress code made for ruined clothing.
Awful work conditions coupled with low pay and indifferent leadership made for a text book example of a dead end job. I felt so sorry for my staff and encouraged them to get out fast.
Von Maur summary
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKApril 9, 2015
Pros: good pay, good benefits
Cons: horrible managemnt, unfair, strict attendence
This is a new department store to Oklahoma and is a very beautiful store. It has a good pay and good benefits. The management is horrible. I learned how to deal with horrible management as long as I can take it. Some managers are extremely unprofessional and make-up stories about you if they don't like you. I loved my co-workers and they loved me but I don't know how long most of them will last their. The place can be a extremly negative environment.
nice and fancy enviroment
Customer Service sales rep (Former Employee), Lombard ILMarch 26, 2015
Pros: heathcare
Cons: work weekends
help customers with questions about the product, open annual contracts for customers, offered store credit cards, finish cash out every night, clean dispalys for the merchandise.
Old World
Department Manager (Former Employee), Ann Arbor, MIMarch 1, 2015
Pros: great pay, no crazy hours
Cons: old fashioned, long/slow days
Von Maur is a very "Old World" sort of company. The company likes to do things the old fashioned way, even down to what you wear, girls wear skirts and panyt-hoes and men have to wear 3-piece suits. They do pay extremely well and the hours are not too bad. The store that I was in was not very busy so the days can seem to be long, but they do not participate in the crazy holiday hours and really do want their associates to have a family life. They do not like associates to become friends and actually you can get in trouble for it!
sales associate
Sales associate-Men's Sportswear and Concepts (Former Employee), Lake Saint Louis, MOFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: excellent employee charge account and discount
Cons: long commute
A typical day involved maintaining the look of the department and assisting customers. I also maintained a book of correspondence with the customers. It was a very strict company with a high turn over of sales associates and management. The most enjoyable part of the job was the pride of measuring up to their standards.
Co-workers are great, and merchandise is new and fresh
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Normal, ILJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: long lunch breaks, great benefits
Cons: schedule is all over the map
As a sales associate, the main objective of the job is to sell, sell, sell. The company is customer service oriented.
Productive Workplace
LOSS PREVENTION ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Davenport, IAJanuary 26, 2015
Cons: 9.5 hour days, every day
I enjoy working at Von Maur because it is a different experience than what I am used to in the Security field. I enjoy my coworkers, as well as the associates, and I'm learning new things every day.
Great job for college students
Sales Associate - Retail (Former Employee), Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: friendly co-workers, flexible-ish schedules
Cons: working weekends, lack of diversity in management.
Everyday is different from the next. Customer service skills are an absolute must if you plan on excelling in your sale goals and commission. Management is not very diverse and tend to give false promises. Each employee gets one weekend off per month. Enjoyable atmosphere for the most part.
A great place to shop
Counter Manager (Former Employee), Hoover, ALJanuary 21, 2015
Von Maur is northern store and new to the south. They have great benifits and most holidays off, including time and a half on sundays. Co-workers were great and agreed and everything pro and con about the store. I learned to not let anyone take me for granted and that upper managment cannot always be trusted.
A good company to work for.
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee), birmingham,alJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: salary
Cons: hours
waiting on customers, and putting out merchandise.The best part of my job are my co-workers. My customers make my job easy good peope,
nice place to work
Sales associate (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSNovember 28, 2014
a great company, good staff and management.loved working with customers and having my own clientale
All in one sentence..
Associate (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GANovember 21, 2014
Pros: money
Cons: everything else
Do not trust management at all!!! This is coming from someone who knows,,,
Training and Management need help
Finance Center (Former Employee), Davenport, IANovember 7, 2014
Pros: good hours for retail
Cons: poor training
If your fast learner, talk correctly and approiately the "VonMaur Way" this job is for you. You will have three or four people training you they all have different styles, Atompsphere among co workers is very cold and very clickey. They are very good at pointing out all your mistakes but not what you do good. Benefits are expensive and you are not paid for any holidays for the first year. Goodluck if you take this job.
Great company. Very professional / fast-paced retail setting
Floor Manager (Former Employee), Ann Arbor, MINovember 4, 2014
Von Maur was my first official job after graduation. I started there as an Executive Management Trainee where I worked my way from a sales associate to a department manager and finally a floor manager. I had the opportunity to move from stores to stores in different states such as Indiana, Kentucky, Iowa, Illinois, and Michigan to experience various store settings and to strengthen my ability to adapt and handle different situations.

This job suited me well as it was fast-paced but yet it maintained its professionalism at its best. The company invested all the resources into developing executives and treated their employees like family members. The employees were trained to have customer oriented mindset and to always perform with the "customer is always right" attitude. Each and every section of the store was well kept even during the busiest holiday season. Von Maur was a great company to work for.

After being in different fields of work, I do realize now that I enjoy working in a retail business the most although I am more interested in working at the corporate side of it now.
What A Place!!
Loss Prevention Associate (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GANovember 3, 2014
Pros: good associates, money
Cons: plays favorites, "grey area", non supportive management
Be aware of the phrase the "grey area" it allows management the flexibility to do what ever they want .. Allow them to enforce policy when they want.. A very unfair work environment..
very strict working environment
Department Manager, Juniors (Current Employee), Saint Charles, ILNovember 3, 2014
A typical day involved being pulled in various directions, constantly re-merchandising, managing staff, monitoring customer service levels in addition to making my own selling and credit goals. The management style is very strict and about maintaining an authoritative approach. Managing is about coaching in the moment as well as critiquing when necessary, to ensure standards are being met. The hardest part has been trying to meet upper management's high standards, with not very much assistance; a lot of trial and error. I really have enjoyed all of my co-workers I have had the opportunity of working with.
Good environment to learn about fashion and customer service
Petite department sales (Former Employee), Normal, ILOctober 30, 2014
Pros: i was a pace setter and received a larger discount than a regular sales person.
Cons: i had a good experience, no cons.
I enjoyed working with customers and training new associates on different vendors and how to sell to the Petite woman. I loved to do the displays and set the floor so that it was inviting and shop-able. I also enjoyed trunk shows and contests that companies offered to the sales people. I started at 9 am with new stock , arranging it to the fullest advantage in the department. I learned how to tell the differences in wool's and silks. I also learned how to fit and help ladies choose garments that would work to the fullest advantage for their needs. I trained many new sales people and helped them with customers when we needed to seal the deal. I thing I enjoyed the most were my customers. I had an incredible clientele of Petite ladies and loved every one of them like family.
Nice atmosphere, beautiful store
Retail Counter Manager for Philosophy (Former Employee), Livonia, MIOctober 29, 2014
Pros: store atmosphere
Cons: erratic hours, uncomfortable working conditions, low rate of pay
I was not accustomed to working retail hours, and this became very difficult in terms of balancing other areas of my life around my job. My position in the cosmetics department required standing on a marble floor all shift, which took it's toll on my feet and my lower back. They are very stringent with their dress code, and did not allow any sitting or leaning, or even allow a bottle of water to be kept in a cabinet at your counter to have access to.

However, there were good things about the job at Von Maur. The management team was very supportive and enthusiastic. I also met some very nice people during my employment here, including co-workers and customers.
Nice place to work
Sales Associate - Men's and Kid's Shoes (Current Employee), Davenport, IAOctober 28, 2014
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: weekends and evening hours
I started at Von Maur in March of 2014 and I have very much enjoyed my time here however you are required to work weekends and evenings and I personally do not wish to do that anymore as I believe it upsets the work/life balance.
Laid back work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Eden Prairie, MNOctober 25, 2014
Pros: benefits, friendly people and clientele
Cons: working weekends
Management expected a lot, it was a great place to work, great pay

1 2 3 4 5

About Von Maur

Family-owned and -operated Von Maur runs nearly 30 upscale department stores in about a dozen midwestern states, offering its – Read more

Von Maur Salaries