Von Maur Employee Reviews

Floor Manager(s)/Store Manager horribly terrifying
Department Manager- Cosmetics (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GeorgiaOctober 11, 2015
Von maur is a great place to work! The store managers and floor managers from Birmingham, AL and Alpharetta, Ga are young and insane. They are very prejudice and constantly want you as a department manager to constantly threaten your team with termination. I was also told to harass certain African-american customers with no real or obvious reason. I enjoy retail and I thought I would enjoy Von Maur but it actually turned out to be the worst experience of my life! I had to resign, I was depressed and sad daily! The other employees have taken on a slave mentality and are afraid to stand up for themselves in fear that they may lose their job. Corporate really does need to step in and see what's going on! A lot of us are saying the same things!
Pros
Benefits, work life balance
Cons
Pay, upper management, bullying, abusive managers
Great work environment with tons of encouragement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 12, 2015
Every day I came into work I was greeted with a smile and a hello by almost everyone. I enjoyed my coworkers and my customers, and I loved my managers. Everybody works together as a team, even when we work on commission. I couldn't ask for a better job in retail
Pros
Free coffee, guaranteed vacations, great benefits
Cons
time spent on feet can be exhausting
Great place for temporary work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Beavercreek OhioAugust 20, 2015
This really is a great place for work overall, and if you really have the desire and ambition to move up in the company, management will help you along. Compensation includes, for most departments, a base hourly rate as well as a 1% commission. If interested in their shoes department however, you would be compensated solely on a commission basis. The company offers a great healthcare package, and even a 401k to all employees. The only downsides are that you will be on your feet for anywhere from 5- 12 hours a day dependent upon the shift you are scheduled and/or decide to pick up, and, as it is retail, there can be a lot of very slow periods in which customers aren't shopping.
Pros
hour long lunch breaks, ability to work overtime, healthcare, 401k
Good pay and benefits
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 26, 2016
Typical work day includes cleaning my department, greeting and helping customers, answering phones and working with the registers. I learned a lot about customer service and phone skills. Management includes four managers and a manager for each department, they are easy to reach and helpful. I really enjoy working with my co-workers because we have similar interests. The hardest part of the job can be doing returns or looking up items when there are no receipts or tags present. The most enjoyable part is the laid back atmosphere.
Pros
time and a half on Sundays, paid holidays, vacation hours, flexible schedule
Cons
unifrom requires women to wear panty hoes and skirts and or dresses, no water on the floor besides water fountains by bathrooms, standing for long hours, slow work pace
Outdated dress code and horrible favoriting managers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IASeptember 18, 2016
This is not a great place to work. Management absolutely sucks here!! They've all been here since the beginning of time and have the most awful attitude. They treat you like you don't matter. Some of them are racist, they show favoritism, and don't give the time of day to the people that actually try hard. I've worked here three years and have absolutely wonderful customer service. So much in fact I've had customers stop management multiple times to brag about me, and yet management won't let me be a department manager. Why? Because they have their favorites and only will promote them. If you can't suck up to them on a regular basis forget about being promoted. Also the discount sucks!!! We work hard and we only get a measly 20% that's dumb!
Pros
Benefits are decent, some of the customers are great!
Cons
management, no breaks, dress code, favoritism, hostile.
Why all the bad reviews?
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaAugust 3, 2016
I have been a retail manager for years at different retailers and this company is great to work for. Yes, the attendance policy is "strict." But if you can't get to work on time......

Upper management is very encouraging and not "threatening" at all. There is a strong family- like environment where everyone works together.

Another great thing about this company is that if you go in with a clear vision of where you want to end up, and you prove yourself, they will absolutely do everything in their power to assist you on your journey.

Associates are held to a higher (but definitely not unattainable) standard. This is only to help associates grow as people and to make the customer's experience second to none!!!!
Pros
Hours, opportunity for advancement, training.
A "Walk on Egg Shells"
Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJuly 22, 2016
Von Maur was my first retail experience. Starting as a Sales Associate ( being middle age) obtaining "Pace Setter" status and working my way up to a Manager I was witness to a lot of GREAT employees let go. Unfortunately, I myself was subject to the constant harassment, pressure and unrealistic expectations of this company. As I read the reviews on this site I understand every one of them. I'm one of the lucky ones. The day I turned in my resignation (my choice and not theirs), a great weight was lifted from my shoulders. No longer did I have to walk on egg shells. I am now in Retail Management with a company that believes in the associates, thanks them for a job well done and doesn't place unrealistic expectations on them. You don't work in a prison. If you can move on.........do it.
Cons
Unrealistic Expectations......
Your clothes alone will be worth more than what they give you and don't get me started on your time...
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Castleton, INJune 24, 2016
Considering you have to dress business professional when your starting pay is only $10/hr, I'd say this place is laughable.

I loved working with customers and the sales of it all, I didn't like having a manager breathing down my neck telling me I had to go buy new hose, because the ones I had on were seamed. *eye roll*

It's just hard to make a living wage with the amount of money you have to put into your wardrobe.

But, if you're married, and bored, this is the job for you. Or if you want to have a chill second job. I just would never tell someone who wants to have money left over after bills to work there.
Pros
Fun Atmosphere
Cons
Strict Dresscode and terrible wages
Don't go there!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 18, 2016
Management is horrible! Extremely high turnover and that is always because of management. Favoritism, negative atmosphere, morale is very poor, no positive feedback regarding the work that is done but always points to the negative. Scheduling is done by computer so no common sense or flexibility. May work 7-10 days in a row. I have been there 5 years and stuck with it because my co-workers are enjoyable (those that stay) and the benefits are good. I'm in a job search now.
Pros
Co-workers, benefits
Cons
Management, scheduling, morale, commission 1%
Productive place to work at
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILJuly 13, 2016
I would say out of all the retail places, this is the best to work for. I enjoyed my co workers. Management was great about helping you if you needed things done in the department. The hardest part was working a lone in a big department and trying to get closing duties done while assisting customers. The most enjoyable part was knowing that I helped someone find exactly what they needed and completing the sale.
Pros
holidays off, commission, hour lunches
Cons
having to close at night and be back at 7am
Such a great company to work for. Great management and benefits for the employees
Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 23, 2016
I love working at Von Maur. While I worked for this company, I was able to switch Departments as well. I started out being the Department Manager of the Young Mens Clothes and of Men's Shoes and after 6 months in that position I was able to take a position as an Assistant Department Manager in Women's Shoes, which was the busiest department in the store. I loved working in such a fast paced department. I think it really helped my Retail Management skills grow and it helped me learn how to help out several customers and employees at the same time. I was able to help promote contests among the employees and motivate them to sell shoes. The hardest part about my job was always being busy. There was seldom any downtime to focus on cleaning the stock room or really getting out stock. We did have an employee whose job was to put away stock but especially around the holidays, the stock would pile up. The most enjoyable part of my job was the customers and the people I worked for and with. I loved coming to work every single day. It was such a great environment and it still is even when I go in there to shop now.
Boring-You don't want to work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALMay 9, 2016
I wish that someone made a review like I'm doing about this job so I could've stayed away. Worked here for 2 months and within those two months 5 people quit.
They treat you like you're 5 watching you on Camera's while you stand and do nothing because there aren't any customers and when you do get customers you and another associate are fighting over a sale. They don't advertise so no one really know's about the store. They push you to make goals when its dead all the time.
I hate it for the people who work here full time and really need this job because I couldn't do it working part time. Its not worth it.
Pros
Hours
Cons
90 day job? This one is for you!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, ILJune 20, 2016
I will be frank and honest, if you are looking for a temporary three month job then this one is for you. A 97% sales quota to be maintained at all times is what might get you fired. Sales competition between associates is comparable to a pack of hyenas going after fresh meat. So yes, you can lose your job because of other associates who steal your sales.
Pros
Cons
Unattainable sales goals, over-competitive sales sharking, mgmt. doesn't address dishonest associates for sales stealing, 97% sales quota or you're fired
If this store had a new manager maybe?????
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALAugust 6, 2016
No job security, I worked for this company for two years. The customer were great and I really enjoyed my co-workers.Management is awful they will smile in your face and fire you the next minute. I do not recommend this company to anyone. They will let you go for anything especially if they do not like you. I met my sale goals came to work daily.I got sick and they decided that they did not to deal with my situation.
Pros
Discount
never looking back
Cosmetics Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILApril 7, 2016
This store is one of the worst places i have worked at they paint you a pretty picture when they recruit you but once you are in it is a different story. They are so outdated with their rules like how all female employees must wear pantyhose and skirts and men must wear a suite and tie. I worked in the cosmetics department and our department manager was awful she came from zero background of the cosmetic world. It is easy to say how to do things but it is something else to actually have gone through it. The mall that the this store is in is completely dead there is not a lot of foot traffic in there and the sales goals they give employees is a very high stretch. Management is always looking for little things to pick at instead of focusing on the bigger picture.
Pros
time and a half on sunday and major holidays off
Cons
management, out of date rules, work and life balance
Safe enviroment
shipping associate (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IANovember 8, 2015
I love working for Von Maur, they have been good to me and and the work hours are really convenient. I like the people that I work with and have had a great time working there.
Pros
Hours, benifits
Cons
accountability
Von Maur
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 11, 2016
A typical work day was assisting customers with any questions or needs, running the register, answering phone calls, transferring items between stores for merchandise requests. I had 4 managers all different areas of the store. I had so many coworkers I can't count all the workers. I learned how to be a great sales associate and focus on building a relationship with the customers.
Pros
commission, friendly customers
Cons
stressful, management, dress code
How was Von Maur
Suit salesman (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 31, 2016
They are very slow
Really just stood around all day and talked to co-worker
Cleaned more then sale
Co-worker was great
I learned how to build more a report with customers
Hardest part of the Job was that there wasn't anything to do most of the time
Most enjoyable part about job is the relationship you can build with customers
Pros
Closed on all Holidays
Cons
Really didnt have anything to do but clean
Working at Von maur
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, ILAugust 3, 2016
Working at Von Maur is easy fun to help out the customers.The best part of the job is begin able to build need outfit special for customer.Management isn't what I expected. I love one of my co-worker best part of it when we both work together it's like a team we sell help customers as a team no other job I worked before gave me this opportunity.
Pros
Get the holiday off
Cons
Bad management
Eh
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 5, 2016
It was always a slow day at work and management expected you to ALWAYS be doing something. You would get written up for being 1 minute tardy. Everyone that worked there was fun, except when the management changed. It is very political and they already know who they want in certain positions. They tell you there is advancement, but there isn't. The turnover is outrageous there as well.

2.9