Von Maur Employee Reviews

Unpredictable
Shipping Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJuly 16, 2017
You don't know what your hours are from day to day.Most of the time it depends on another department to determine what time you leave no matter if you have work or not.Communication is terrible.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Unknown hours, managrment, low pay for the work you do.
Competitive environment due to difficult to attain sales goals
Sales Associate and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 12, 2017
I appreciated the customer service emphasis and enjoyed learning the cosmetics industry. The management was more often than not inexperienced in people skills and tended to micromanage the sales associates.
Pros
Besutiful store
Cons
Stressful work environment
Von Maur Review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INJuly 2, 2017
Von Maur taught me customer service skils, sales technique, professional standards and reaching goals. The high level of professionalism projects value onto the employees as well.
Pros
Good company
Cons
Strict dress code
Gossip
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Saint Louis, MOJuly 1, 2017
Great when you start working there. Then it changes!!! They expect everything out of you. Hard to get raises. They come up with all excuses not to give you one!!'
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Horrible floor managers. They work you to death
Career Advancement Possible, Hours not flexible, high turnover
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 29, 2017
The benefits that come with Von Maur are great. For example, you get PTO (after 1 year), time and a half on Sundays worked, paid holidays after 1 year of employment, health benefits, etc. However, the employee turnover rate is extremely high which brings instability and low morale to the company. Work schedules are not the most flexible and can be very demanding.
Boring and slow paced work environment
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAJune 28, 2017
At Von Maur I learned a lot more of myself. I learned that I am a leader, that likes quick paced projects. I love fashion and decorating. I love putting things together and making them fit each other. I love pleasing the eye to the customer. The most enjoyable part of my job was the hands on part. I was independent yet the leader of my team. People came to me for help or advice and that made me feel good. I loved helping those around me. The work place is pretty slow, and can get boring at times, so being on the go and enjoying my position and team makes it a lot better. Management changed a lot, so it makes it less personable. I learned to not hide from my imagination, trust my instinct and go for it.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Slow-paced
Sales
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  6062 E 82nd StreetJune 19, 2017
Assisting customers with purchase, being productive sales, transferring merchandise, Great to meet new people this make this job fun. Answering phone calls and problem solving.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
hours, no fifteen minutes break
Fun place to work with a lot of energetic employees
Sales Associate - Ready to Wear (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 16, 2017
I had a great experience working at Von Maur in the "Ready to Wear" department. My manager was extremely helpful in teaching my how to positively engage with customers to help them find the perfect outfit.
Great Company
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 12, 2017
Great management, flexability, hours, benefits, etc. Sundays are time and a half, two weekends off per month, holidays are paid. Only have to close 2 nights out of the week.
Na
Department Manager Cismetics (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 12, 2017
A company set in the past. Needs to progress and move more into the future. Pay is not conducive to living needs. Ideal are still old fashioned. No marketing from the company.
was given honesty.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 12, 2017
I was hired for holiday season only. Enjoyed the job, hit my desired goal monthly. Was over goal.Always on time.got along with co-workers. Sometimes did not understand being ill.
Pros
schedule changing.
Cons
Had to help with stocking.
Great workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Polaris Fashion, OHJune 11, 2017
I've been working for Von Maur since May 2016 and it has been an awesome experience as I have been able to accomplish a lot for myself. All it takes is a good attitude, a drive to succeed and a willingness to do your job. Being a salesperson for a retail store doesn't sound like the greatest job in the world but Von Maur will give you a thousand reasons to love what you do.
My typical day at Von Maur is, I come in smiling, trying to have fun and conscious that I've got to earn my wages. Not all customers enjoy the mundane chore of shopping for gift items or sorting through a collection of shirts, but if you can please, you definitely will earn your wages. Did I already say that the commission package is good?
Don't take my word, ask the many people who have been around here for 15+ years.
Pros
Good management, great pay and associates' discounts.
Cons
Come on people, it is a retail store! Expect a few hard-to-please customers once in a while.
Customer-focused high-standard environment
ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Glenview, IL 60026June 11, 2017
Customers are priority at Von Maur. Only associates who have empathy and genuine interest in people will succeed.Long-term associates are those who embrace these values.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Lack of recognition for many exceptional deeds
recruited, and then not trained
Executive Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 8, 2017
terrible opportunity. they turn and burn their management trainees. taking them from other opportunities with the promise of success and advancement, then do not invest in their trainees for success
Great Company
Loss Prevention Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 7, 2017
They actually really do care about the associates who work there. Good environment with excellent benefits. As far as retail jobs go this is by far the best experience you could possibly find.
Conservative, classy
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 7, 2017
Assist sales associates to provide excellent customer service daily. Train associates in sales technique, product knowledge, department and store policies, and procedures as needed. Write and conduct performance reviews. Provide feedback to associates on selling and account statistics on a bi-weekly basis. Address concerns to department in a timely manner. Executes all duties of a sales associate.
Pros
Commission
Cons
No set schedule
work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHJune 3, 2017
Von Maur is all about providing great customer service. Their goal is to do everything they can to make a customer feel comfortable. Working at Von Maur has helped me step out of my comfort zone. It has improved my communication skills.
Pros
commission
Cons
call offs
Fun
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 30, 2017
Grat family based company. Good pay and opportunity for growth within the company. Benefits are good and a great working environment. Flexible hours and they work with your schedule.
To much turn over
Department Manager/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAMay 29, 2017
You don't know who your boss is going to be one day from the next. They also do not advance because of skill they bass it on something else, the people they promote have no idea what they are doing.
Work here if you enjoy getting harassed on a daily basis.
Lancôme Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMay 23, 2017
Horrible place to work. I was continually harassed by my counter manager and cosmetic counter manager. I went to my department manager and store manager multiple times, nothing changed after our talks besides the harassment getting even nastier. I decided to put in my two weeks because I no longer wished to work for a company that allowed it's managers to harass their employees. I was luckily given severance pay so I did not have to complete my last two weeks in store due to my harassment. It's sad that a company would rather keep individuals who harass employees, customers and upper management based alone on sales. I feel so lucky to have gotten out of there, I would never recommend anyone to work or shop at the West Des Moines - Valley West Mall - Von Maur.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Von Maur. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8