VSE Corporation Employee Reviews

Unfit for large contract work
Logistics (Current Employee) –  Fort Benning, GAOctober 17, 2016
Most people want to work for a company that stands behind what they say. If you are like most people, this is not the company for you. They said they were going to pay out our benefits. This was over a year ago, and now the company and our Union are in arbitration.

They tend to hire and promote on looks and/or popularity. Not on ethics or performance.
Pros
Good rates on Healthcare
Cons
Management, Ethics, Time Management
I enjoyed working at VSE
Editor (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIFebruary 17, 2017
One of the things I liked was that there was no typical day. Management let editors do our work and we interacted well with each other.
The hardest part of the job was having to leave.
Easy work
General Clerk II (School Liaison) (Current Employee) –  Fort Benning, GADecember 7, 2016
The job is very easy and the hours are normal. Nothing is strenuous about the job. Overall great place to work. Management is ok as well!
Productive Workplace
Purchasing Agent / Buyer (Current Employee) –  Fort Benning, GAJanuary 6, 2017
Great workplace. As a Purchasing Agent, responsibilities for the procurement of a wide variety of specialized items and/or services when contract types and nature of items/services present complex problems in support of FORSCOM, IMCOM, TRADOC and the Fort Benning garrison and other activities; make purchases of broad range of equipment, commodities and services through a variety of methods; and administer orders.
Productive and fun
Corrosion Technician (Former Employee) –  Twentynine Palms, CAOctober 10, 2016
Work with the company was a great pleasure and I was upset when the contract was up. I highly recommend this job to those who are seeking something out of the normal
Childish Games
Engineering Tech (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, MSOctober 22, 2013
If you're not in the "In Crowd" don't expect to get any respect or to advance in the company, they only take care of their "brother-in-laws" family and friends. Management has their heads so far up their butts they have no clue what to do on a daily basis. The level of Favoritism is ridiculous in the shop and the bureaucracy prevents everyone from accomplishing the simplest goals, can't even get tools and parts in a timely manner. Reminds me of being in the military, mass punishment and harassment are a part of daily routine however corrective actions are non-existent. Honestly the only redeeming quality about working there is the pay which many of the employees have taken pay cuts over the last few years.
Pros
Pay is pretty good but don't expect a raise only pay cuts.
Cons
Healthcare sucks and gets worse every year, Management is terrible.
My experience working for VSE Corporation in Kuwait
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Mina Abdullah, KuwaitMarch 26, 2013
I don't really want to get into too much detail, because I was working as a VSE employee overseas, therefore I cannot judge the company as a whole. I am pretty sure that VSE is a really good company to work for, if your place of work is located within the continental United States. VSE must pay more attention to its overseas employees, because they are just as important as those working within the continental United States.
Pros
paid well and had good benefits
Cons
no real chance for advancement, too many management issues, too many rules that made zero sense, and really low morale among employees.
Hard work pays off at this company.
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 27, 2015
Anywhere you work, you are expected to work hard and/or smart. At VSE if you are able to handle numerous of responsibilities outside of the scope of your job description, it does go a long way and strengthens your job security and value. Mostly everyone is retired military so there is a work culture similar to the views and goals instilled in people who are former military. It is a relaxed atmosphere as long as the work which is necessary to be completed is being taken care of. The bottom line is always the most important, and if you cannot show how you directly effect the bottom line, you will become an after thought. Lay-offs are never of any surprise, however if you do what you're supposed to do, you can steer clear of being let go. Managers usually keep their doors open, and have no problem seeing unscheduled visitors. Ask the questions you need answers to. Judgement is not placed on people that may or may not know something. I am not former military, so many acronyms I am unaware of. There is a leadership development program (LDP) in which one must be voted into. This serves even more an an incentive to work hard in order to be voted into the LDP which then can become a fast track to being a member of the executive team. Overall, good company to work for and great place to learn and grow.
Pros
Easy going people with great work ethic.
Cons
Salary is a bit on the lower end.
Government contractor
Lead Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Ruther Glen, VAApril 5, 2013
The job is overall good but not having any type of job security due to government cutbacks along with company downsizing yearly just creates bad morale on the shop floor. This facility is mismanaged to say the least as we are expected to complete our assignments with inferior tools and constantly having to wait on our parts supply to arrive while still being pushed to produce with out the parts.
Pros
compensation, hours, location
Cons
management, no loyalty to the workforce, bad morale
Was a fun job with lack of upper management support
Supply Clerk (Former Employee) –  CaJuly 12, 2012
I helped setup the site for this posting. I was originally a basic worker but eventually began training the newbies that were coming in for our 2nd facility that was being setup. At no point was I offered a lead position nor compensated for this and I was basically told it was a part of my job duties...Upper management was never around until our production level dropped due to lack of trainign that should have been provided by this company. Once this happened every joe blow you could think of showed up and was on us workers like we were the cause of this issue, yet in 3 years no corporate management ever made a attempt to visit our site and assist in training us on how the contract should have been ran....
Pros
decent pay, ok benefits
Cons
lack of management assistance, poor recognition of employees efforts

Want to know more about VSE Corporation?

Ask a question
VSE is a contractor under Red River Army Depot
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Texarkana, TXSeptember 15, 2015
VSE is a hard company to work for because they do not understand how Red River Army Depot works. They try to do things differently and it doesnt work well at the depot. They do not pay their employees very well and the health care benefits are high. The imediate supervision is not a roll model for leadership at all.
Pros
You do have the chance of advancement by getting in on the Red River side.
An okay place to work.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 10, 2012
A typical day at work was pretty routine and moderate. A few days out of every month got a little busy, but it was manageable.

I learned a great deal at how to work with people on the executive level. The CEO enforced a great deal of value, structure, and owning up to your mistakes and moving forward.

Management was caused some stress, but it was nothing the other employees could not handle. The supervisor was also negative and had no assertive skills.

I had one co-worker, and she was a pleasure to work with.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with an angry and obnoxiously negative boss,who put down a lot of people on his team and provided no support.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-worker and the CFO of the company. They were a pleasure to work with and made most of my days bearable.
Pros
lots of catering, great benefits, salary, etc.
Cons
negative boss and supervisor
The management is still struggling at the site level
employee (Current Employee) –  VAOctober 12, 2013
The furlough hiatus just reemphasizes the importance of proper management techniques and planning. VSE still struggles with changes to include, the ramping up phase, employee retention, and routine operations. Daily operations are redundant and employees in the mission critical positions lack creativity and the ability to change gears in order to meet the current customers requirements.
One of the hardest parts of the job is trying to maintain cohesion between the different departments in an effort to perform job responsibilities. This company needs a facelift and a complete refurbishment to reach the unrealistic benchmarks that it establishes for itself.
Pros
9-5
Cons
high out of pocket rates for benefits
Management and site operations are a joke. If you have no leadership skills and can make friends easily, this is the place to work.
Lead (Current Employee) –  Ladysmith, VANovember 13, 2012
VSE does not value the employees' as the top priority, the focus is on obtaining new contracts, accolades/awards, and all the while not much effort is emphasized into employee retention.
The site level's morale is diminished over the years and compounded by a mass of confusion operating the site. Management does not have clue how to run, maintain, and effectively operate at a high level of productivity.
Pros
because management is clueless, there is always room for advancement.
Cons
considerable amounts of down time, equipment takes extended amounts of time, to be integrated into the system, and returned to the mechanic for completion.
7+ year employee of VSE Corportation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Hamel, ILSeptember 26, 2013
Work day began with a morning safety meeting. Then we worked in our assigned areas for refurbishing military ground equipment.

The local management was self serving, kissing butt to upper management, not looking out for the workers on the shop floor. This put in place our collective effort to organize, and become members of the Machinist union for our location.

We all say pay increases, better benefits and better subsidies. After Sr. Management reviewed our contract, and refused to pay what is owed to several workers, we fought them. Now our location is closed in Hamel, IL.

Management only cares about units going out per month, above the health, and safety of the employees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
management
VSE is a great place to transition from active duty to civilian
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 11, 2015
With about 40% veteran employment, VSE is a great place for someone to transition into civilian life. The work is challenging and the coworkers are very supportive. I like my boss and I like the job.
Pros
Salary, Coworkers, Management
Cons
Long hours sometimes
Good JOB. Career? Company has started to backslide to the days of its infancy. New CEO is aquisition hungry.
Floor Lead (Current Employee) –  VAOctober 22, 2012
While there has been several rounds of layoffs in recent years if you work hard and think outside the box you can avoid the layoffs. There are morale issues on the site level however, like above, if you apply yourself, are proactive and new idea oriented there is a future for you. Just no guarentee for how long.

There are several instances of nepotism and croneyism that occur much to frequently for a company of this stature. Peolple, sometimes less qualified for the positions than general applicants, are forced upon hiring managers because of a friend of a friends... friend needs a work.

This company will be in deep trouble when the economy turns around. There will be a mass exodus. During the recession they have treated the "Low Level" employees very poorly. I actually overheard a manager use the term "Lessers" when talking about site employees. The CEO's attitude has been "If you dont like it you're free to leave". That's his right to say as a CEO but...
Pros
not many really for the rank and file.
Cons
site level emloyees are deemed cannonfodder or a comodity, health insurance for the family is completely unaffordable by low level employees.
A day at VSE
Procurement Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 26, 2013
VSE is a great company in a great location to work with. The environment is pleasant and the management is stressfree. My coworkers are always available for assistance. The hardest part of my job is keeping the company compliant.
Pros
flexability
Cons
lack of training for career growth.
no entertainment on the job
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  mina abdoula, kuwait kgl siteFebruary 24, 2014
i sometimes did not like or enjoy the work environment. because some of our supervisors abused their positions in an attempt to intimate some employees which caused much unnecessary tensions. it was a daily ball bursting nonstop grind.i learned to install every upgrade on both series of tanks. the hardest part of the job was keeping yourself away from being part of the job politics and properly handling your frustationssince we performed these upgrades in iraq and kuwait. it could be very frustrating at times especially with every missing thrir families. it really didn't too much to set anyone off under those conditions. they were frequent occurences.
Pros
we took lunch from 11:30-13:00
Cons
short breaks were 15 minutes and there were 4 per day.
Ridiculous
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Long Beach,MSDecember 6, 2013
What a horrible place to work! Management showed favoritism, and on several occasions I heard racist remarks being made. The site director who smokes cigarettes in his office is demeaning and disrespectful to all employees. Most of the supervisors and management have been terminated, but nevertheless the site director as well as the shop supervisor (and his son) are still employed at this dump. If you are low-life scum and are satisfied with making coins, then this is the job for you. However, if you are a person who has dignity and respect for yourself, then continue on your job search elsewhere...you'll regret it if you accept anything this company has to offer.
Pros
Direct Deposit
Cons
Health Insurance, Racism, Sexual Harassment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VSE Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8