VSE Corporation Employee Reviews

VSE: Should of, Could of, Would of...
Production Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Ladysmith, VAJanuary 25, 2015
While I enjoyed the work, upper management left a a lot to be desired. I was always worried about if and when our site would have a lay off. We went through many site managers, mostly because VSE was incapable of hiring competent managers.
Pros
The work is fun and always changing.
Cons
Upper Management and inability to secure contracts.
VSE is a great place to transition from active duty to civilian
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 11, 2015
With about 40% veteran employment, VSE is a great place for someone to transition into civilian life. The work is challenging and the coworkers are very supportive. I like my boss and I like the job.
Pros
Salary, Coworkers, Management
Cons
Long hours sometimes
Government Contracting
Deputy Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 5, 2014
VSE is a government contractor that is feeling the pinch of slow and lack of government contracts.
best part of job is working with skilled employees
Auto Body Painter (Former Employee) –  Gatesville, TXOctober 18, 2014
a typical day at work was painting various military vehicles and equipment. I learned how to paint using carc paint. my work environment was very good. all employees were friendly and we all worked together. Most enjoyable part of job is painting.
Pros
free medical insurance
Cons
no cons
Friendly to veteran workforce transitioning from active military duty to private sector.
Sr. Project Analyst/Division Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 19, 2014
Wonderful facility to work in providing a safe and challenging environment.
Cons
Loss of Tuition Reimbursement Benefit
Excellant company to work for
Project Manager II / Senoir MWO Coordinator, VSE (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCJuly 31, 2014
I love working for VSE. The management was excellent as well as the staff they are very knowledgeable and I learnt a lot. I learnt a lot about depot maintenance. I also learnt a great deal about MWOs such as how they get applied and who is authorized to apply them. I enjoyed help all the units out that were in the Army Reserve Command. My co-works work well as a team/staff.
Pros
Everything was great
Cons
I didn't have any bad experiences.
Not what you would think
Work Center Collateral Duty Inspector (Former Employee) –  China Lake, CAJuly 30, 2014
This company as a whole is terrible. The Site Managers hired have little to no experience and one mistake will cost you your job.
Nice
Production Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAJuly 16, 2014
The job was okay it was a contract job so it only lasted for 2 years but the pay was nice and so were the people
Pros
Good pay, good hours, nice people I worked with
Cons
short changed by management when it came to benefits
Forced Retirement
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, vaJune 24, 2014
They claim to be offering retirement packages to those 55 or older really if you do not take it then the RIF you. Unless you are in the good ole boys club you have no security. Other ways to have security is be young and work for less than the ones being offered retirement. VSE used to be a proud company family type atmosphere then Mo arrived all downhill after that
Pros
not many
Cons
Mo and his cronies
Important Job
Heavy Wheel Service Technician/Hull Repairman (Former Employee) –  KuwaitJune 24, 2014
--Typical day: working on military vehicles to support the War Fighter mission
-- Learned: I learned that poor management will lead to loss of contract
-- Management: Not really
--The hardest part: having to find a new contract because you are told this one was lost.
-- The most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
Worked in doors
Cons
good
Security /Maintenance Worker lead (Former Employee) –  mdJune 13, 2014
Security Lead for the guard contingent at the Army Reserve Depot.
Establish, monitor, maintain, and publish a weekly work schedule, providing
copies to IAP and each guard. Monitor and forward guard reports to client and IAP
at the required frequency. Provide (or delegate) new guard personnel site
orientation and SOP instruction. Notify IAP of all personnel issues.Relay client-
delivered guidance relating to contract performance. Inform IAP of issues or
conditions effecting mission accomplishment.Verify time cards for each guard.
At the 99th Regional Support Command - Army Reserve in Baltimore MD
Inspect GSA vehicle at start of shift, Walk the pier at least once per hour looking
for civilian watercraft near the pier or Army watercraft, Check vessels, mooring
lines, drafts, brows, battery charges, fuel oil day tanks, bilge boilers, and alarms-
multiple times each day, Drive the perimeter of the depot and the Brandt
USAR center at least twice daily, Take draft readings at beginning of shift and
compare to prior shift Readings, Possible light supervised maintenance, Possible
limited forklift use, Maintain safe working conditions at the pier during adverse
weather conditions to include light snow removal in the winter
Perform safety inspections to include identifying and/or reporting leaks, flooding,
fires, accidents, and hazardous material spills Maintain ships' logs, documenting
irregularities found Following up on all sign-in sheets to insure they are complete
and there is a leave request to go along
Enjoyed work schedual
Paint Technician (Former Employee) –  Gatesville, TXMay 29, 2014
Enjoyed felow employees......It had been some time since I had worked within a group to acheive success. It proved to be a valued asset.
Liked working at VSE Corporation
Data Technician (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 4, 2014
Mostly data entry, I did like working at VSE but, because this job was contracted with the government it was short lived. The installation was relocated and I could not follow the job to it's new location.
no entertainment on the job
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  mina abdoula, kuwait kgl siteFebruary 24, 2014
i sometimes did not like or enjoy the work environment. because some of our supervisors abused their positions in an attempt to intimate some employees which caused much unnecessary tensions. it was a daily ball bursting nonstop grind.i learned to install every upgrade on both series of tanks. the hardest part of the job was keeping yourself away from being part of the job politics and properly handling your frustationssince we performed these upgrades in iraq and kuwait. it could be very frustrating at times especially with every missing thrir families. it really didn't too much to set anyone off under those conditions. they were frequent occurences.
Pros
we took lunch from 11:30-13:00
Cons
short breaks were 15 minutes and there were 4 per day.
Great Place
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 24, 2014
VSE Corporation was a great place to work and wonderful people to work with. Enjoyed my tenure there.
hard working and follow instructions
Retrofit Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 19, 2014
Go to work and be happy in what I have to achieve for the day. Have to install night vision equiptment on military vehicles. Travel army base to army base to install equiptment.
Pros
travel the world
Cons
no benefits, part time
Not a good place to work
Property Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dayton NJFebruary 12, 2014
This place is awful. Weak, ineffective management along with employees who are doing more socializing than working. There are some nice people but very few. New people are overloaded with work to pick up the slack for those who aren't doing much. I would never refer a friend to work at this place. Overall it's just not a good work environment.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Dealing with an overload of work and some unfriendly co-workers.
Great Place
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAFebruary 7, 2014
I enjoyed working with my coworkers. I learned a lot while I was there.
A little above average
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 15, 2014
Every company has room to grow and improve. VSE is no exception. My experience at VSE has been a little above average. The pay is adequate. The benefits package is somewhat on the high side for out of pocket expenses. I have worked here now for nearly three years and have experienced some positives and negatives. Positive - I received a $5K bonus for getting my PMP certification. Negative - The company has since reduced the bonus amount from $5k to $2K and has since reduced support for continuing education and professional certifications. Positive - I have had the opportunity to work with managers who are generally good people and have a relaxed style of management. Negative - Because they have been doing business a certain way for so long they are reluctant to change or take action on recommendations that can help the business (EVM methodologies were dismissed in a hurry). Positive - Some Co Workers were a joy to be around and easy to get along with making the work day more productive. Negative - There were a few Co Workers who were able to poison morale, were not controlled by management, and were able to make the work environment hostile for a time. No company is perfect, but I would give VSE a 6 1/2 on a scale of 1 to 10 for places to work. All in all, my work experience has been more positive than negative, but it's the negatives that really caused me to seek employment elsewhere coupled with the fact that the prospects for growth over the next few years indicate the company will be in a cycle of contraction.
Refurbished Millitary equipment
Lead (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 2, 2014
Work would start at 0600 and would end at 3pm. We would bring in a piece of equipment tear it down and send it to the sand blast and paint booth. Once that was completed we would bring it back into the shop and put it all back together. Co-workers were easy to get along with. Hardest part of the job would have to be down loading the equipment off of incoming trailers.
Pros
m-f

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VSE Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7