VSP

VSP Employee Reviews

Great Company
Provider Services Specialist (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAApril 16, 2015
VSP is a great place to work. I worked in the provider relations department, issuing authorizations to providers office and working with customers to make sure that all benefits were clear and easy to understand.
Productive Workplace
Production Worker (Former Employee), Montgomery, ALApril 16, 2015
Had to be at work from 6:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. sometimes I also have to work 12 hours.

The hardest part of the job was working on the line. you have to try to keep with the line.
Productive, Informative, Worth It
Mail Room Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 19, 2015
Pros: teaches life skills
Cons: not enough positions to stay there
my experience at VSP was very useful, taught me a lot, and fun. I love to work with people and be in an active environment. I enjoyed walking around to the different building and pick up/delivering mail.
Great workplace
Cosmetic Eyeglass Inspector (Former Employee), Columbus, OHFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: cupcake days
Cons: the times we were to clock in and begin our days varied.
My typical day at work was to come in and get started on whatever orders that were ready to be shipped, on the line. I inspected eyeglasses for alignment, right color and correct type. I learned a lot about the eyeglass industry. It's not a bad industry to get into. Management was great for the most part, one supervisor was far more accessible than the other. My co-workers varied in attitudes but for the most part, were very pleasant and good workers. The hardest part of my job was my job itself. I think it was only hard because it was a very crucial part of the company. I saw every order before being shipped. A lot rested on me, which I think also made it the most enjoyable part of my job because I really take pride in my work.
Business Analyst/Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAFebruary 17, 2015
Overall good work environment that fosters collaboration and support. Co-workers are nice and friendly. The company has been going through a number of changes for last several years.
The VSP service is and was a very good job for people who become Disabled
Patient Transporter (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: the pros are you are in an enviorment that wants you to get back on your feet after a brain injury
Cons: their are no cons
I enjoyed my time there while I was getting back into the work force from my injury
fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: close to freeway
Cons: shift bids every quarter
very fun place to work, ping pong and pool table. A lot of diversity within the company. Company offers room for advancement within
Good place to work. Temp position
Customer Service/Sales (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 10, 2015
Great environment, Good Money. Nice people & the workflow wasn't too much even though it is a call center. Even though its was temporary I learned a lot from my time there.
Communications Specialist (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: good place to work
Cons: good place to work
Good place to work. Fortunate to have extraordinary leadership in my department and learned a great deal about good management. Appreciated regular acknowledgement for jobs well done.
great!
Lead Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), melville, nyJanuary 5, 2015
The company overall is very fun to work with and I have been able to gain a lot of knowledge within the Optics industry. The work enviornment is rough with high volume of calls and management team does not often help. I have been a temp and yet to be hired because they are "looking for a position".
Good People to Work With
Application Developer Intern (Current Employee), Rancho Cordova, CADecember 17, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: working through volt
The people that you work with here can and will teach you everything they can. The management could do a better job of keeping you up to date on important company things, but as an intern, that isn't all that important. I would say that this is a great place to start out at. Not somewhere you would want to be your entire career though.
Great position and great training.
Administrative Assistant for Network Development (Former Employee), Columbus, OHNovember 16, 2014
Entered all the data for credentialing of the new applicant Optometrist. See list of duties on the resume.
overall excellent
Customer Service (Current Employee), Columbus, OHAugust 5, 2014
Pros: employee day
Cons: air conditioning
Productive and fun workplace great co-workers
good management....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Once great, now worse year after year
Customer Service (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMay 30, 2014
Pros: free cake day (although if you have dietary requirements, it is bad!)
Cons: decline of a solid corporate structure
Have you ever met anyone or anyplace ashamed of their success? VSP is that way. They were the best at what they did and would lead the world in customer service, stand behind their policies and providers, and have great, satisfied employees to make it all come together. Not any more.

In the mid 2000s where they were ranked 8th as the best place to work by Fortune magazine and was JD Powers as the best in customer service and dominating in the category in the international scoring of SQM, to now toting proudly that they are one of the top companies in Columbus OH by Columbus Monthly magazine. I was there through the years, watching the decline. Every year, a benefit was taken away. Every year we were told we were not doing things like other companies. I actually heard a manager say it was embarrassing to keep being asked how we kept doing things better than other huge corporations ... sigh. I finally left and I cannot believe the amount of stress off my shoulders.

To truly survive in the call center environment there now, you have to either: a) do work off the clock, such as your breaks or before/after work (and they give you those means) or b) "blow off" the hardest cases so that it does not affect your after work stats. The second part is by far the most common and by the sheer volume of calls, it is uncommon that this would be caught more than once during a quarter (which is forgivable). The people with pride in their work chose the first option - to choose neither invokes the wrath of those micro managing people above you.
Horrible Workplace Environment in the world
Business office Admin, Accounting ETC (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CaliforniaMay 27, 2014
Pros: none whatsoever!
Cons: constant stress. nothing is good enough for the bosses and sups.
There is an excessive high turnover rate in the location in the Rancho Cordova California office. I took the time to look at the company's website to get to know the company. I applied. I first had a phone interview. Then they called me in for a in person interview. I had to go back 3 times for interviews before they finally hired me. They made it so complicated to obtain a job in an office!! Totally complicated hiring practices.

On my first day of work right away I noticed other co workers snooping around my desk with odd behaviors. The backstabber co workers were around me the first day of work. While I was being trained to know the software programs and learn the procedures for the position the person who was in-charge of training me for the job treated me like dirt and really didn't take training me seriously. I was set up to fail by other co workers and managers.

The office is a very toxic negative workplace to work. The company isn't loyal to their employees. There is a lot of turnover. Someone is fired weekly over lame reasons, because co workers are backstabbers and management isn't professional.

The company utilizes 3rd party staffing agencies to fill a lot of their positions for short term for very low ball wages. The wages for women is so low it wouldn't even feed a dog with a small stomach. The company doesn't care that women have families to provide for and the women they hire are single mothers with children.

However I noticed men were hired at a far more rapid rate and the men had job security. Men didn't have to know anything. I noticed that men working at – more... this company were paid a quality wage, hired permanently, didn't have to do much in the office and were paid to show up to work in a suit and tie and get paid to only have a job title.

While the women in the workplace were paid very low wages, were doing most of the necessary job responsibilities and were fired all the time for not performing the job perfectly while walking on egg shells. Micro managed to the extreme. While the men were the lazy ones in the workplace and management would over look their incompetent work performance of the male employees.

The company hires men permanently. The male employees receive a quality wage, benefits, bonuses etc.

While the female employees are only hired through 3rd party staffing agencies and paid very low wages, not allow to have benefits, not given equal pay and terminated frequently, because of the 3rd party staffing agency contracts and how they draft the contracts.

It is a horrible company that discriminates against women in wage and in employment. But caters to men in the workplace.

Worst place on earth to work at and not worth the time and energy to work hard and put effort into, because you get terminated anyways in a short time for unfair reasons. – less
THE worst organization I have ever worked for!
Supervisor, Marketing (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAMay 1, 2014
If you're looking to work for a company which promotes micro-management, fear-based insecurity throughout all levels -- especially the senior level, coupled with ridiculously high expectations to be on-call 24/7 with no family/work/life balance -- then you have found the place for you. And may God help you.

For me, I had no idea what I was getting into.

From a public perspective, VSP has been riding the public relations coattails of having been on the Forbes list of "100 Best Places to Work" for FAR too long! In fact, 2008 was their last time yet they still seem to tote this moniker. To this day, I still hear outside community members state this as if it's still true. This might have been true when under the leadership of Roger Valine however, that is certainly not the case now. THE single best professional decision of my life was when I quit VSP two years ago AND without another job to go to! The director I worked for in marketing was a raging psychotic who should never have been allowed to manage people (yet continues to do so today). Until then, I had never worked for someone who thought so little of their staff who worked their tails off for little pay and with NO recognition but instead, would ridicule staff in client and/or team meetings. And, as a 'supervisor', I was given all the responsibility to manage a ridiculous workload but with NO authority. Any and all decisions needed to be run past her first.

Seriously, the senior management should be ashamed. When are they going to realize, the high turnover they continue to experience (especially in the Marketing department) – more... equates to a poorly run organization with senior leaders who have NO perspective and care so little for their employees.

VSP has had a notoriously long history of underpaying employees yet say they make it up in their benefits package. WRONG!! In fact, their current strategy is to hire 'contractors' for a year and just keep rotating new ones in each year. Perhaps this is best though as history has shown the past five years, each and every January, they (especially the marketing department) somehow undergoes a 're-organization'. In essence, it appears they really don't know what they're doing from a foundational business perspective yet it typically provides an excuse for them to once again change their business strategies in addition to 'weeding' out those they've been wanting to get rid of for a while without having to performance manage them. All of this makes sense since their head of HR is notoriously unethical and typically just looks the other way when it comes to protecting the employees. My guess is it will take a very expensive lawsuit filed by a very high-powered player in their senior ranks for even an ounce of change to occur.

This is all very sad since I understand from past employees who worked there during Valine's tenure, it truly was a great place to work. Unfortunately, no more.

To those who are considering employment with VSP, unless you are in a desperate financial situation, please think again. It's like selling your soul to the devil. You will never be the same person again.

Good luck to those who are still there and have become silent soldiers. Just know there is a better life outside those walls in Rancho and local companies who do care about the lives of their employees! – less – less
A Nice Place To Work
Production Scheduler (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAApril 6, 2014
A typical work day at VSP was exciting. My experiences here was my opportunity to learn about production and batch data processing.

My co-workers at VSP were professional, unique and extremely fun to work with. There was never a dull moment, especially around the holidays.

There was no hardest part of the job, but the most enjoyable part of my time there was the opportunity to learn the many aspects of the job.
no room for advancement
CSR (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 10, 2014
Pros: nice local people
Cons: dead end job
no advancement opportunities unless you want to move to California
Great Place to Work
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAMarch 9, 2014
Pros: benefits! perks! bonuses! they absolutely spoil their employees!
Cons: shift rotation, hours of operation, days of the week open
VSP was a great place to work. The employees are amazing, the benefits outstanding and the overall culture of the organization fosters teamwork and camaraderie. The training is extensive and thorough. I felt they gave you EVERY resource available to do an outstanding job.
Times are changing at VSP
Reporting Specialist (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CADecember 27, 2013
When I first started at VSP it was a good place to work with low compensation but a great work/life balance. By the time I left the company employees were stretched thin. Benefits have been slashed over the years and compensation is below the industry standard. Employees stay at the company for a VERY long time so there is little opportunity for advancement. Positions are eliminated if and when employees retire.

About VSP

With Vision Service Plan (VSP), the bottom line of the eye chart won't read U-O-W-E-B-I-G. The firm is a top managed eye care – Read more

VSP Salaries