VSP

VSP Employer Reviews

Once great, now worse year after year
Customer Service (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMay 30, 2014
Pros: free cake day (although if you have dietary requirements, it is bad!)
Cons: decline of a solid corporate structure
Have you ever met anyone or anyplace ashamed of their success? VSP is that way. They were the best at what they did and would lead the world in customer service, stand behind their policies and providers, and have great, satisfied employees to make it all come together. Not any more.

In the mid 2000s where they were ranked 8th as the best place to – more... work by Fortune magazine and was JD Powers as the best in customer service and dominating in the category in the international scoring of SQM, to now toting proudly that they are one of the top companies in Columbus OH by Columbus Monthly magazine. I was there through the years, watching the decline. Every year, a benefit was taken away. Every year we were told we were not doing things like other companies. I actually heard a manager say it was embarrassing to keep being asked how we kept doing things better than other huge corporations ... sigh. I finally left and I cannot believe the amount of stress off my shoulders.

To truly survive in the call center environment there now, you have to either: a) do work off the clock, such as your breaks or before/after work (and they give you those means) or b) "blow off" the hardest cases so that it does not affect your after work stats. The second part is by far the most common and by the sheer volume of calls, it is uncommon that this would be caught more than once during a quarter (which is forgivable). The people with pride in their work chose the first option - to choose neither invokes the wrath of those micro managing people above you. – less
Horrible Workplace Environment in the world
Business office Admin, Accounting ETC (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CaliforniaMay 27, 2014
Pros: none whatsoever!
Cons: constant stress. nothing is good enough for the bosses and sups.
There is an excessive high turnover rate in the location in the Rancho Cordova California office. I took the time to look at the company's website to get to know the company. I applied. I first had a phone interview. Then they called me in for a in person interview. I had to go back 3 times for interviews before they finally hired me. They made it so – more... complicated to obtain a job in an office!! Totally complicated hiring practices.

On my first day of work right away I noticed other co workers snooping around my desk with odd behaviors. The backstabber co workers were around me the first day of work. While I was being trained to know the software programs and learn the procedures for the position the person who was in-charge of training me for the job treated me like dirt and really didn't take training me seriously. I was set up to fail by other co workers and managers.

The office is a very toxic negative workplace to work. The company isn't loyal to their employees. There is a lot of turnover. Someone is fired weekly over lame reasons, because co workers are backstabbers and management isn't professional.

The company utilizes 3rd party staffing agencies to fill a lot of their positions for short term for very low ball wages. The wages for women is so low it wouldn't even feed a dog with a small stomach. The company doesn't care that women have families to provide for and the women they hire are single mothers with children.

However I noticed men were hired at a far more rapid rate and the men had job security. Men didn't have to know anything. I noticed that men working at this company were paid a quality wage, hired permanently, didn't have to do much in the office and were paid to show up to work in a suit and tie and get paid to only have a job title.

While the women in the workplace were paid very low wages, were doing most of the necessary job responsibilities and were fired all the time for not performing the job perfectly while walking on egg shells. Micro managed to the extreme. While the men were the lazy ones in the workplace and management would over look their incompetent work performance of the male employees.

The company hires men permanently. The male employees receive a quality wage, benefits, bonuses etc.

While the female employees are only hired through 3rd party staffing agencies and paid very low wages, not allow to have benefits, not given equal pay and terminated frequently, because of the 3rd party staffing agency contracts and how they draft the contracts.

It is a horrible company that discriminates against women in wage and in employment. But caters to men in the workplace.

Worst place on earth to work at and not worth the time and energy to work hard and put effort into, because you get terminated anyways in a short time for unfair reasons. – less
THE worst organization I have ever worked for!
Supervisor, Marketing (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAMay 1, 2014
If you're looking to work for a company which promotes micro-management, fear-based insecurity throughout all levels -- especially the senior level, coupled with ridiculously high expectations to be on-call 24/7 with no family/work/life balance -- then you have found the place for you. And may God help you.

For me, I had no idea what I was getting – more... into.

From a public perspective, VSP has been riding the public relations coattails of having been on the Forbes list of "100 Best Places to Work" for FAR too long! In fact, 2008 was their last time yet they still seem to tote this moniker. To this day, I still hear outside community members state this as if it's still true. This might have been true when under the leadership of Roger Valine however, that is certainly not the case now. THE single best professional decision of my life was when I quit VSP two years ago AND without another job to go to! The director I worked for in marketing was a raging psychotic who should never have been allowed to manage people (yet continues to do so today). Until then, I had never worked for someone who thought so little of their staff who worked their tails off for little pay and with NO recognition but instead, would ridicule staff in client and/or team meetings. And, as a 'supervisor', I was given all the responsibility to manage a ridiculous workload but with NO authority. Any and all decisions needed to be run past her first.

Seriously, the senior management should be ashamed. When are they going to realize, the high turnover they continue to experience (especially in the Marketing department) equates to a poorly run organization with senior leaders who have NO perspective and care so little for their employees.

VSP has had a notoriously long history of underpaying employees yet say they make it up in their benefits package. WRONG!! In fact, their current strategy is to hire 'contractors' for a year and just keep rotating new ones in each year. Perhaps this is best though as history has shown the past five years, each and every January, they (especially the marketing department) somehow undergoes a 're-organization'. In essence, it appears they really don't know what they're doing from a foundational business perspective yet it typically provides an excuse for them to once again change their business strategies in addition to 'weeding' out those they've been wanting to get rid of for a while without having to performance manage them. All of this makes sense since their head of HR is notoriously unethical and typically just looks the other way when it comes to protecting the employees. My guess is it will take a very expensive lawsuit filed by a very high-powered player in their senior ranks for even an ounce of change to occur.

This is all very sad since I understand from past employees who worked there during Valine's tenure, it truly was a great place to work. Unfortunately, no more.

To those who are considering employment with VSP, unless you are in a desperate financial situation, please think again. It's like selling your soul to the devil. You will never be the same person again.

Good luck to those who are still there and have become silent soldiers. Just know there is a better life outside those walls in Rancho and local companies who do care about the lives of their employees! – less – less
A Nice Place To Work
Production Scheduler (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAApril 6, 2014
A typical work day at VSP was exciting. My experiences here was my opportunity to learn about production and batch data processing.

My co-workers at VSP were professional, unique and extremely fun to work with. There was never a dull moment, especially around the holidays.

There was no hardest part of the job, but the most enjoyable part of my time – more... there was the opportunity to learn the many aspects of the job. – less
no room for advancement
CSR (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 10, 2014
Pros: nice local people
Cons: dead end job
no advancement opportunities unless you want to move to California
Great Place to Work
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAMarch 9, 2014
Pros: benefits! perks! bonuses! they absolutely spoil their employees!
Cons: shift rotation, hours of operation, days of the week open
VSP was a great place to work. The employees are amazing, the benefits outstanding and the overall culture of the organization fosters teamwork and camaraderie. The training is extensive and thorough. I felt they gave you EVERY resource available to do an outstanding job.
Times are changing at VSP
Reporting Specialist (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CADecember 27, 2013
When I first started at VSP it was a good place to work with low compensation but a great work/life balance. By the time I left the company employees were stretched thin. Benefits have been slashed over the years and compensation is below the industry standard. Employees stay at the company for a VERY long time so there is little opportunity for advancement. – more... Positions are eliminated if and when employees retire. – less
VSP- friendly and positive atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Columbus, OHDecember 13, 2013
Pros: everyone at vsp is very friendly and easy to speak with, always greet each other in a positive manner
Cons: breaks are too early in day leaving 31/2 hours at end of shift
Friendly and positive atmosphere. There was a long 17 week training period alternating with classroom and being on the phones taking calls. The most difficult part was the claims training and how to make claims adjustments.
Productive and fun work place
Intern (Former Employee), Sacramento, CADecember 7, 2013
Greatest work environment. Genuine friendly people and knowledgable co-workers and management.
great workplace horrible policies
janitor (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 16, 2013
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: short breaks, no overtime, horrible attendance policy
its a great place to work but due to high security and constant changes in the building id wind up late. a typical day would be me either cleaning all restrooms, stocking supplies, stripping and waxing areas, or maintaining a floor. ive learned how to go to work extra early to be on time i also learned how to pay close attention to detail. my coworkers – more... were ok people just some were a little too annoying. the hardest part of the job was trying to act as if the supervisor that were there on the weekend actually did work.the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting so many people – less
Good company
Account Executive (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAOctober 3, 2013
Good company but definitely not tech culture. More like state job and minimal room for advancement.
great place to work great co workers
Custodian (Former Employee), baltimore,mdSeptember 9, 2013
i was shampooing carpets, bluffing floors, collecting trash,maintaing an area. i learned how to use a blufferi learned how to commucate with other people. manangement was nice very respectful and co- workers was also. the hardest part of the job was getting used to working with a group but the co-workers made it easy to work with them so i caught on – more... really fast. the enjoyable part was the fun i had around my co workers – less
Ok place
Production (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAJuly 15, 2013
Pros: nice building
Cons: low pay not enough hours
This job was not the best but not the worse. Low pay and lots oft temps.
An established company who aspires to be innovated.
Employee (Current Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAJune 27, 2013
An established company who aspires to be innovated. The work culture is great. Compensation is often the lowest in the local area though.
A good job to have while in school
Airport Parking Shuttle Driver (Former Employee), Burbank, CAMay 5, 2013
Pros: independence, great coworkers, driving a bus
I got this job while I was at Glendale Community College. All my coworkers were kids my age. One would start in the booth as a cashier, a great place to do homework but a bit boring. The workplace would sponsor us to receive a Class B license, which advanced you to the shuttle driver position. Then you would sit in the bus, pick up customers, make jokes – more... on the radio, then clean up at the end of the night. I was a very high earner in tips due to my genuine amicability. Coworkers were happy to work with me because they knew I was going to do quality work. On a slow day, you could sit in the bus, turn on the radio and take care of any homework or reading that you had. The only negative thing about this job was we opened at 5AM, which means you had to listen to the Kevin and Bean show repeat itself at 8AM. Another great job where I had the independence to provide uniquely excellent work. – less
nice place to work
Temporary Worker (Former Employee), Sacramento, CaApril 3, 2013
picking and filling order. i learned how to multi task.................................................................................
a refreshing take
Customer Care Representative/ Email Correspondent (Current Employee), sacramnento,caJanuary 30, 2013
This company is true to their word. they care about their employees and want u to be successful. Daily i coorespond the doctors,members, and groups via email and telephone. The manager is there to support the employees. The most enjoyable thing with the job is to know you have actually helped someone.
The benefits are great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CANovember 18, 2012
Pros: great benefits
Cons: micro manage
If you like working in a fast pace then this is the place for you.
Excellent benefits
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CAAugust 20, 2012
Overall good company to work for. Management was receptive to the employee suggestions. Supervisors were fair to their team and would definitely go to bat for them when needed.
VSP was a busy work place,of course we were working inside the Hyundai plant.
Industrial [ Hyundai Plant] (Former Employee), Montgomery, ALAugust 19, 2012
When I first started at VSP, I learned different jobs,such as inspecting several parts for disfunctions. Most parts we inspected were for the motor and transmissions for most Hyundai parts for different cars. I also loaded parts on trollies for a tuggle drivers to come and get to take to the line,did inventory,stock parts and I also had a scanner to – more... pull orders that a tuggle driver comes and get to take to the line. My co-workers were good people to work with and get the job did as a team when needed. A typical work day sometimes was very very busy and sometimes it would get slow. – less

About VSP

With Vision Service Plan (VSP), the bottom line of the eye chart won't read U-O-W-E-B-I-G. The firm is a top managed eye care – Read more