VT Milcom Employee Reviews

personaly enjoyed my work
Electronics tech 2 (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: great benifits
Cons: slow advancement
biggest down side is working with spawar. I enjoyed plenty of travel and generly a good work environment in shipyards and submarines. most of my work was in submarine radio rooms.
Productive, team work and very efficient tasks.
Welder i (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJanuary 9, 2015
Overall great work environment and co-workers. A typical day at work would consist of a job briefing, material sheets, teamwork, reviewed blueprints, followed the blueprints, and built model tanks for the military to practice on. The hardest part was gathering the materials needed for the project. All in all it was a very laid back and comfortable work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my co-workers.
Great Job
Telecommunications Mechanic II (Former Employee), Middle EastJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: the whole experience
12 hr days, learned alot about OSP techniques, management was supportive, worked with a great group of people, hardest part was having the contract come to an end, most enjoyable, the whole experience in Afghanistan, Kuwait, UAE, & Jordan
very low turnover of personnel. As a tech, much travel.
Electronics Technician (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLNovember 18, 2014
Pros: excellent health benefits
Cons: too many lay-off periods during the year.
Seniority counts little in promotions but it will get you laid off often because contract bids can't place you.due to your pay.
Great Job
Laborer Helper (Former Employee), Charleston, SCOctober 17, 2014
Pros: good hours
Cons: no overtime
I wish it was not so short when it became part time. The job itself was easy to do.
productive yet stalled by rework
Electronic Technician 2 (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VASeptember 17, 2014
Pros: vacation and good co-workers
Cons: rework
a typical work day: various cable install,com equipment,computers,painting,wielding and,electrical.Its a constant learning curve.Theres no comfort zone.Management simply depends on who you work for on any given job.Co-workers are in the same as management depends on the crew.The hardest part of the is rework,no-shows,"i cain't see it from my house" attitude.THE MOST ENJOYABLE part was when the job is finally completed to the customers satisfaction.
Great place
Electronic Technician II (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 20, 2014
My Experience with this company is amazing they are like a close nit family who look out for each other
General Laborer
General Laborer (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 7, 2014
Working with company was a great experience and I gained more experience than what I had before
Not too bad
MECHANICAL ASSEMBLER I (Former Employee), North Charleston, South CarolinaJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: job security, pay
company is good to work for, pay isn't that competitive. not the best career choice
Great place to work for
Assembler 2 (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VADecember 25, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: different crew for every job you go to
I love working here great people to both work with and work for
Poor
Electrical Supervisor (Former Employee), Newport News, VADecember 12, 2013
Pros: payroll is on time, support is decent
Cons: 80-100 hour work weeks
Large defense contractor with decent engineering support and a very poorly ran management team. Relies on a core of technicians and fills in manning requirements with unskilled labor leading to poor quality and huge cost over runs.
Small company with a lot to learn
Program Analyst (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAOctober 17, 2013
Pros: good office location
Cons: poor management, unstable leadership
VT Milcom is a small company that is still trying to find its way. Their management team is not capable of making the long term decisions that would keep the company growing and, most importantly, stable. I believe VT Milcom will be a company worth working for in about 5 to 10 years. The current management team will need at least that long to prove they can provide sound, stable management.
Office Work
Staff Assistant III (Former Employee), North Charleston, SCAugust 13, 2013
Pros: there was a lot to learn.
Cons: not enough work
The company was a fast paced, friendly work enviornment. I learned about training concepts and taught new hires training. Such as HIPPA, OSHA, and FPR APR travel paper work. I also input data and reviewed in Deltek time sheet information.
Good Place to Work
MECHANICAL ASSEMBLER I (Former Employee), North Charleston, South CarolinaJune 18, 2013
Pros: family oriented
Cons: pay is a little low
Management is all about family, great place to work and travel
Good company to work for, lack of work.
Field Service Engineer (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMarch 4, 2013
Gained experience on Naval vessels with electronics. A typical work day included installing cable, and building multi-pin connectors. The hardest part of the job was the structural part of the job; grinding, removing paint. I would say I enjoyed this job for the most part because I interacted with a lot of people and I like my coworkers.
Very good job to work and gain experience on
CABLE RUNNER (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VADecember 11, 2012
Pros: travel, pay, bonuses
Cons: working in tight corners of a ship
Going to the desired site to begin cable installations. Follow and reading blueprints to complete job tasks. I learned to read blueprints and use time management. My co-workers here were great, we worked good together. I would say the hardest part of the job was redoing cables that someone else from another company put in wrong. The most enjoyable part of the job was being your own supervisor
Good place to work and learn
Quality Manager (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VANovember 29, 2012
Pros: people actively persuing same ideas, values and goals
Cons: loss customer focus trying to grow unsuccessfully into different markets
Company brought by British firm after 35 years local management. Became a publically traded company which shifted from customer focus to proffits.
lack of job traing
Supply Specialist (Former Employee), Charleston, SCSeptember 22, 2012
Pros: pay rate
Cons: lack of training
A day at work included warehouse duties as well as shipping and recieving. Learned more computor skills, management was not very helpful. Co-workers often frustrated. Lack of training was hardest part of job. Learning some new skills was the most enjoyable part.
Excellent place to work. very educational
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 27, 2012
Pros: excellent benefits and great place to work
Cons: harsh conditions in some areas of work, alot of travel
Great place to be as you go day to day working on some of the nations most powerful weapons and ships in support of the worlds strongest military
Very interesting working for a government contractor.
Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 28, 2012
I was able to learn and apply so many new job skills - working directly with our Quality Manager.