Vulcan Materials Company Employee Reviews

Not very interesting
Quality Inspection (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 10, 2017
The way situations are handle is very undesirable. Everything is played off and nothing is handled in a timely manner. Nobody is willing to help one another and the management is only out to make themselves look better even if that means throwing you to the wolves.
Pros
Occasional Free Lunch
Cons
management
Good company to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAOctober 9, 2017
was a good place to work very safe and a place for advancements provided. training and tools were provide to do your work safely.The company provides a safe place to work. I've learned how to resolve conflict between employees in the proper way.
Decent place
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLSeptember 26, 2017
Great people and an awesome company to work for. I would recommend this place to everyone. I had a wonderful work experience with this company. This was such an experience.
Pros
All around good expierence
Cons
none at this time
Very stable Company to work foir
Tax Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 22, 2017
The Company went through many challenges during the last recession. However, it has bounced back now. Has a good leadership. It is a very stable company to work for. During the hard time, the work life balance was not great but overall it is a good company to work for.
Office
Sales Trainee (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 29, 2017
The people are great and you get quite a few perks. However the industry is very tight, and may be difficult to break into. Solution Selling is a must.
Good Company, Great Culture, Limited advancement and poor actual management.
QC Technician (Current Employee) –  Corona, CAAugust 29, 2017
Vulcan Materials Company is perhaps the safest company in the industry. Period.

However, the likelihood for advancement is quite limited and there is almost no actual system of mentoring or skills development below the level of Plant Supervisor.

The training for upcoming managers/supervisors is a joke. Basically consisting of a Powerpoint synopsis for a beginning Communications class. They pay little attention to designing training materials that cover actual job roles. The worst part is that the strong focus on Safety and Health means that when push comes to shove, there is an in-built culture that blames the lowest level employee for any/all mistakes. Co-workers often point fingers and "throw others under the bus".

Still, if you like working six, or more, days a week at 10 + hours a day, with little chance for even lateral job transitions without moving to a new location, the pay and benefits are great.
Pros
Highly competitive compensation.
Cons
Poor low to mid level management, Zero concern for Work/Life Balance
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 28, 2017
It was straight I enjoy working here it's just not enough to support me and my family so I have to do what's best for me and I would come back to work it's cool hear supervisor's are cool and it's not for from my home!!!
great place
Operations Accountant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 25, 2017
Great company and great pay. It was a great place to work and the people were very nice. I really like the atmosphere and they really strived to make things work.
Good people
Associate (Current Employee) –  Mideast regionAugust 23, 2017
Good people, great benefits, very long days due to nature of the business, many family ties within company, mentoring and training programs, large company.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Many hours
Southeast Division has too much nepotism
Area Plant Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Piedmont, SCAugust 16, 2017
The Southeast Division especially in SC has too much nepotism. Long timers were too complacent on their jobs. Policies not being followed. Women are second class citizens.
Pros
Money
Great benefits, long hours
Poa (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaAugust 11, 2017
The company offers great benefits. Working as a Plant Office Administrator is very demanding! You work 45 to 50 hours a week, without a break. You may find out at quitting time that you have to work additional hours that day. You are responsible for cleaning the restroom, kitchen area, and taking out the trash.

If you like working a minimum of 45 hours a week, have no personal life and want to hear profanity, this is the job for you!
Benefits
Cons
No break, long hours
Good Pay
Haul Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  McCook, ILJuly 26, 2017
The hours are long, anywhere from 10-12 hours per day, 6 days a week. Toughly enjoy what I was doing although for some people, driving a 150 ton haul truck back and forth from one location to another for 12 hours a day might become very boring.
Company treats you fairly and there number one goal is safety. A lot of rules and regulation to adhere to but what at first you might think this very overwhelming, you get used to it and they seam to fall into place.
Pros
Paid lunch time, overtime.
Cons
long days
Great Job, be ready to work
Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2017
Vulcan is a great company but does not spend time listening to their employees. Work life balance is nonexistent, and the expectations of people are very high. There are people that are incompetent in charge and is run on who knows who not on character qualities.
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Hard manual labor
Good place to work enjoyed what I did
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 11, 2017
Traveled a lot and got to do power design, automation, and start-up for around 10 rock processing plants. Did electrical Arc-Flash studies for 22 facilities.
Pros
Cons
Very little advancement
good coworkers
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Eastland, TXJuly 11, 2017
Not my cup of tea no family time when working six days a week on twelve hour shifts. Advancement options are there but in my experience management not very organized (at the quarry I worked) although others facilities seem to be better ran and pay more
Pros
a job
Cons
lots of time away from personal life
Fast paced company great for learning the company
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pelham, ALJune 19, 2017
We made steel products to build homes an other building we used the best of everything..Our customers we our main focus...We always went above an beyond
feel as though you are a number
Lead Electrician (Former Employee) –  Lorton, VAJune 12, 2017
You are a number to management. If you peak in your pay grade then they are finished with you. Management protects itself and is not worried about hourly employees. Company preaches safety but only when it fits their needs and will hide from Corp.
Much Travel
Network Manager (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NC - Birm., AL (national office)May 29, 2017
My job required 90% travel. however there are non travel jobs. I generally enjoyed the travel, although I missed home. Benefits are good! After 4 years, was ready for another job
Excellent Company to work For.
Pit Operator (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TNMay 23, 2017
I started at Vulcan with 0 experience in a quarry environment. Working hard shoveling out tail pulleys and general clean up duties. Management notice their employees for hard work and I personally seen a Vice President walk up to an employee and insist him to take off his safety glasses so he could look him in the eye and shook his hand for the hard work he contributes to the company. Seeing that told me right there what type of company Vulcan was.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Recognition
No Growth
Accounts Receivable Clerk Lead (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 19, 2017
From the begining this place was not a positive place to work. It was like being in high school all over, from the managers acting like kids and causing plenty of drama to employees who slept with anyone who would say yes.
Pros
close to home
Cons
Not compensated, no growth, not appreciated