Vulcan Materials Company Employee Reviews

An enjoyable workplace with oppurtunity for advancement.
Heavy Duty Mechanic/Welder (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AL 35242January 9, 2017
Working here was a very enjoyable and a great learning experience. My coworkers were easy to get along with they had a great attitude towards work which made the work environment an enjoyable and positive.
The management team was supportive and dependable.
Packer (Former Employee) –  Creswell, ALDecember 19, 2016
Packed binders in boxes as they came off the belt as the box got fill taped it and sent it down the belt to be stacked on pallets to be shipped, job was good fast past, early hours just hated the job was temporarily
Pros
Early hours
Cons
Temp job
General Support / Fixed Maintenance Internship (Former Employee) –  Pineville, NCDecember 18, 2016
Great place to work. Vulcan Materials Company is the nation’s largest producer of construction aggregates—primarily crushed stone, sand and gravel—and a major producer of aggregates-based construction materials, including asphalt and ready-mixed concrete. Our coast-to-coast footprint and strategic distribution network align with and serve the nation’s growth centers.
Enjoyed the challenges
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CANovember 29, 2016
As a dispatcher, I was responsible for keeping the 40 drivers working every day, taking calls to determine needs and making the schedule to deliver on time for every job. The satisfaction was felt every time I passed by a project that I sent material to, and being able to say I had a part in that, as when driving on the freeway and claiming that it is mine. The challenges came when mistakes are made by our office or the customer and trying to "find a home" for load(s), and making it work, to avoid or alleviate losses. Those days happened not very often, but when they did, it was those opportunities that showed what our office was able to accomplish under stress and with a goal to reach. I enjoyed my time with Palomar Transit Mix, the division of Vulcan that was my assignment for seven years, and the new challenges that I received when moved to the Vulcan Asphalt plant after a staff reduction process. The fact they kept me, finding me another assignment, told me they appreciated the dedication and hard work that I gave to them over those years. I thank them for that opportunity and found them to be fair, even during the downturn in the economy forced a second staff reduction that finally ended my time with the company.
Pros
Fair, Honest Management
Cons
Jobs at the whim of the economy
If you are a woman, don't bother
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Gulf CoastOctober 20, 2016
Very much a good old boy network. Vulcan is USUALLY big on safety, but depends on how strong the good old boy network moves to push things thru that aren't safe. New blood is needed in the company and changes need to be made.
Seek employment elsewhere
Skilled Laborer (Current Employee) –  McCook, ILJuly 25, 2016
I would definitely not recommend applying for work at the McCook facility. The company seems good to work at in other locations but this one is the absolute worst. Lots of racial tension, English is not spoken much and the treatment by management is terrible and un organized. You will be expected to work 6 days a week minimum 10 hours a day so say goodbye to your personal life. This facility also has had many safety violations this year alone. They definitely do not practice what they preach on safety. Place is falling apart and the older employees do not care about producing quality work. DO NOT APPLY HERE, especially as a laborer!
A place to work
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAJuly 5, 2016
It is a great company to work for and there are some great people that is truly about help one another, no matter what. Fast pace and great benefits.
Good company to work for
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 5, 2016
Welcome to Chicago... What can I say , home of political BS. If you start as a laborer the odds of you moving on to another position are very slim. They need people and their for will not help you into another position. If you don't speak Spanish, you will be shuned from the group. Most of the old timers are very hesitant to teach new people out of fear that a non Spanish person is taking their job. If there is ever any kind of issue anywhere, it is usually kept in house and will never make it to corporate or HR like you think it would. Pay and benefits are ok. Lots of hours so overtime is great but count out family time.
Pros
Lots of hours means more $, they are not afraid to spend $ on items you may need
Cons
Place needs a lot of work, lots of rot everywhere, lots of cleaning, lots of dust, management needs improvement even though it just changed
The sky is the Liimit So long as you aren't a woman
Scale house and equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Staunton vaDecember 1, 2015
I loved my co workers. WE/THEY have a untouchable safety record in the Augusta quarry. Make no mistake that is due to the veterans on staff that know how things are to truly be done and their ability to train the new and upcoming. Surely is not do to management. If you are a woman you count yourself lucky if giving the chance to work outside the scale house but do not expect to get the same opportunitys as the men. Managment will make sure you are limited to what you can operate and when you operate it!! ALL yard employees are required to run every piece of heavy equipment in that yard. All employees but the one women in the yard. If the management would spend less time with their feet propped up gossiping and more time doing their jobs I wonder what business would be like. Also if the saleman had HALF OF A CLUE how to do his job the Augusta plant would blow production off the chart
Pros
Awesome co workers
Cons
Political BS and Mangement
A lot of benefit cuts over the past few years
Manager (Current Employee) –  TennesseeJune 23, 2015
New CEO up through the ranks and can communicate to all level of employees as well as stock holders. Unfortuantely the old CEO is still Chairman of the Board. Economy is picking up and Vulcan is responding well.
Pros
Outdoor work. New CEO seems to be heading in the right direction.
Cons
Average to below average pay and benefits
Great Company
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 25, 2014
Great company and I enjoyed working there. I would work there again if they needed crane operators.
Great safe place to work.
Ready Mix truck driver (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 24, 2014
Best job and great people to work with. Everyday is like working around friends, doing what I like to do. Very safety conscience company..
Concrete plant
PLANT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  virginiaMay 18, 2014
its a job that pays the bills
you work a lot for the pay but the benefits are decent
work can be slow in the winter months
This company helps people grow by providing free classes if you want to learn something that will benefits your job.
DIVISION RECORDS ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAMarch 14, 2014
I had great people working around me. No complains from me from the great individuals I worked with.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
With the people I worked with none
Productive, fast paced, enjoyable rock quarry
Plant Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Gray Court, SCJanuary 27, 2014
Every aspect of this company and this position was enjoyable. The people that work there are caring, helpful and knowledgeable. There are so many aspects to this company/job it would be hard to pick one thing to discuss in length. There were just to many. Awesome job.
Pros
Independant work, great people, outdoors
Cons
outdoors
good
HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2014
good place to work. I enjoyed my job and felt real good about it.
Different shifts available for work.
Central Maintenance Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Helotes, TXJanuary 12, 2014
Full time job hours. Maintain and weld heavy equipment machinery but other work positions available at different plants.
Wonderful place to work for....stayed busy and time passed fast
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 1, 2013
I worked for Vulcan Materials Company for 38 years and retired at age 62 and 10 months...due to my Dad's failing condition....he died 3 months after I retired.

Did edits for 7 quarries starting at 7:00 am. Edits had to be in by 10:00. This was correcting any mistakes clerks had made on tckets the day before.

Learned how to deal with customers on a friendly basic...some depended on me to call them before they went on COD.

Made many friends with customers that after 3 years retired still have contact with.

Management changed several times over 38 years. Never had trouble with any management or employees.
Pros
Very good benefits, vacation, sick pay, 401K, floating holiday, personal holiday
Cons
Hated the time clocks that were put on computer about a year before I retired
Productive and Caring Environment
Quality Control Inspector/Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 3, 2013
positive atmosphere,testing materials,construction inspections,customer service internal and external.
A great place to work
Administration (Former Employee) –  Midwest DivisionAugust 23, 2013
My only experience with this company was working at one of the crushing plants. The benefits are great, far better than any other place I have ever worked. The management that I dealt with was the best I have ever encountered in a large corporate environment, they work with their employees.
benefits
Cons
No cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vulcan Materials Company. Our community is ready to answer.