Vulcan Materials Employee Reviews in United States

Many long hours and pay is not great
Dispatcher/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knippa, TXMarch 21, 2016
Expect you to be on call but do not offer compensation
No Advancement
Poor management
stressful environment
The bad guys at Vulcan
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  sun city plantFebruary 25, 2016
Working at Vulcan materials co. at the sun city plant(I really don't like to say bad things about anyone because its a big negative but this needs to be said) is to date the very worst job I have ever had in my life and what made it that bad were the people I had to work with directly everyday. Right from my very first day I was treated like a second rate person. I never heard anything positive from them about my work or anything but they constantly said positive things to each other all day long. I worked with 3 other guys and one was our boss, one thought he was the boss and one that was a follower. These three guys are the best of friends too and favoritism is huge there to say the least. I loved the work I was doing but when you get talked down to everyday for no reason it makes going to work a very hard thing to do. Vulcan Materials company is a really good company to work for please don't get me wrong about that its just some of the people. whats really sad is these guys put on a act when the big wigs are around and then they are nice but they lose the act when those people leave. The big management people don't have a clue about things that go on there until now. I couldn't do anything right according to them.
Manager Plant Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 2, 2016
Job Work/Life Balance is difficult to accomplish. Positions require extensive overtime. Overtime is not worked to achieve results but rather to maintain.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 25, 2016
Learned preventive maintenance and how to run equipment
Management and co-workers were helpful along with being pleasant in daily work environment
Preventive maintenance was difficult
Running equipment and co-workers were the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
good hours
Fast paced job with awesome co workers
Scale House Operator/Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VADecember 1, 2015
As the old saying goes.." whole lot of chiefs and not enough indians" applies to this company.
No one that holds any type of authority position and pay, stands up for the little person that makes the outfit truly function.
Each and every person is replaceable. If you are a woman you will most defiantely only progress as far as the men want you to and not a step more. Sad to know so many people I truly looked at as family remain there but hold no value to the multi million dollar business that give those hard working individuals a mere $50 gift card for Christmas and Thanksgiving combined and taxes each one of them on that gift card. No holiday dinner, no award ceremonies for employees that have made it possible for them to have over 14000 NON INJURY WORK HOURS.....YES I SAID 14000!!!!
Pros
I loved the work I did and minus the "supervisors" the people I worked with
Cons
Working in scale house you are allowed no lunch break...you eat as you work your 9 to 10 shift.
Productive , Stable and great environment to work in
Landfill Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Litchfield Park, AZMay 2, 2016
Vulcan Materials is a great company to work for and is a very stable proffiting company. Treat their employees wonderful and all liens and vendors as well.
Pros
All Benefits start day you are hired.
Vulcan is a good company but needs work on the glass ceiling
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 22, 2016
Vulcan is a good company but continues to have problems with promoting people of color and women. Hopefully in the near future Vulcan Materials will play catch up with today's diverse workforce.
?
Internship (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAMarch 7, 2016
It was a summer internship. So, my real knowledge of how good the company was is limited. The summer spend there was a very good experience seeing other side to my major that I didn't get to really see.
Great coworkers to work with
Truck Driver/Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Tucker, GAJanuary 30, 2016
I work with great group of men who don't mind helping you out learning about the company and the position the only down side not working in bad weather which shortens your check in the winter
great company to work for
Pit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAMarch 19, 2015
Company as a whole is a good place to work for. Great benefits and good people to work for. They cared about employees and their safety as well as the environment.
Pros
good management team
Inconsistent Schedule
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, MDOctober 5, 2015
The hours were not consistent. Too many early hours, without work being ready. Uniforms were very poor quality.

This caused issues with work/life balance.
good place to work
Plant Mechanic/ Concrete Pump Operator (Former Employee) –  Newington, VAJanuary 7, 2015
very big company with good benefits. they are statewide, with many locations.
Pros
safetyoriented
Cons
layed off
Very productive company
Scale Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lake Bluff, ILJanuary 25, 2013
This is one of those company where once you get your foot in the door, you either become a lifer and or you don't last long. The hours are long during the months of March - December. During that period, you're working 6 days a week. Great pay
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
long hours during the construction season
Richard City quarry is now closed down
Heavy Equipment Operator / Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Richard City, TNFebruary 6, 2013
Operated Cat Heavy Haul trucks, track hoe, underground drill, underground roof bolter, blasting, and surface and undeground maintenance. Location is now out of business due to lack of work.
Pros
good wages and benefits
Cons
problems with location supervisor
Excellent employer
Plant Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Tazewell, TNAugust 26, 2014
This Employer is absolutely the best and I loved working for them. They are a great company with amazing people to work with and for.
Pros
excellent benefits
Confusing
frontend operator (Former Employee) –  Kenner, LASeptember 3, 2015
I worked at Vulcan for 1 year 5 months at first it was great.then it seemed as if the workers where less important . And favoritism was starting .
Pros
great hours and bennafites
Cons
Supervisors, co-workers
ok place to work
Distributing clerk (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXAugust 23, 2015
worked in a warehouse office and drove forklift, hot in summer and cold in winter, wonderful co-workers, I had a great supervisor who was understanding
travel to diferent quarys
Heavy mobile equipment technician Duties (Current Employee) –  Hermitage, TNMarch 1, 2015
Travel to different site is always a challenge not knowing all the time what you going to be working on. The team work at each plant is amazing at each plant some are much closer than others.
Pros
safety lunchs are great
Cons
Good company to work for, good benefits if you like to be mobile all day.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Eastland, TXMay 21, 2014
I come to work from 6am-6pm Monday-Saturday. I don't get paid as well as I would like to but all of the over time compensates for it, I guess. I sit in a truck or piece of equipment all day. It gets boring. I get along with everyone I work with. Its a decent job but I feel like I have no time to spend at home with my family anymore because of all of the over time. There is no change of advancement for me, either which is why I am looking elsewhere. The same people working there have been there forever.
Pros
sitting in an air conditioned cab all day, very little physical labor
Cons
eat lunch and take breaks in our trucks when we can
Senior analyst
Senior Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 19, 2015
Designed satellite, wireless, video, LAN/WAN systems.
Managed large network roll-outs.
The work was performed in both office and rock quarry environments and was extremely satisfying.