Waco ISD Employee Reviews

Tough workload but awesome workplace
4th Grade Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXDecember 12, 2016
I loved working for Waco ISD. I made friends that I will keep for a lifetime working there. If not for some issues at my home residence and family, I would have continued working in Waco. My principals were top notch and I would recommend anyone new to try to apply with them!
The hardest part of the job was the workload. I was never done with my paperwork, and I kept up on it constantly! My principals were great, but expected top notch work also. It was my first year as a teacher and I learned a ton of information.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the children. They are a handful but can be such a blessing. They try to give you their best as long as you give them yours.
Pros
Salary
Cons
high workloads
Learning.
Clerk / Procurement Clerk (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXNovember 17, 2016
A typical day at work. Can be very busy ,on the computer, on the phone a majority of the time dealing with employees and customers. We can multi task. Co-worker is easy to get along with. Management is usually out at School campuses.
Pros
Off when the school is out.
Cons
Lunch breaks are to long. Can do other things.
Not there long...but,
Literary Aide (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXAugust 10, 2016
Can be trying and overwhelming culture. Previous principal lacked support from teachers, staff, support staff, etc.
Awesome
Primary Literacy Aide (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXDecember 30, 2016
I liked working for Waco ISD. Great staff and loved the kids. I learned something new every day. I was responsible for a curriculum called Saxton Phonics to get the kinders back on reading grade level.
Pros
Staff Lunches
lots of money for interventions
Teacher 4th (Former Employee) –  JH HinesJanuary 9, 2017
Students are hard but most want to learn
Administration wasn't strong
Parents want best for students but not all support the school or teachers
Pros
other teachers
Cons
not much support
Great company
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXFebruary 20, 2017
Loved everything about this place. Got to go from school to school and meet all people. working with children has always been a hope of mine. Would strongly recommend
not so productive
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 13, 2017
Not a fun environment the managers do work with your schedule and you always do something different also every day is productive.
Great and rewarding place to work.
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJuly 21, 2016
A great place to work and at the end of the day you feel rewarded, because your integrity and classroom instruction has enabled a student to go further in their endeavors to learn. This school district also offers its employees room to grow in their perspective field of study. My co-workers are outstanding educators and have so much to offer any student who is willing to learn.
Pros
close to home
Stagnant
Administration (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXSeptember 29, 2012
Decent salary, great time off from work and extended holidays, no other good benefits to speak of and health insurance had horrible pricing for such a large organization.
Found management to be finger pointers with "who can we blame" mentality rather than leaders and problem solvers. Very political, lots of idle, malicious talk and slander from top to bottom of organization. I observed wasteful spending on administration, lacking up to date technology and talent. Wish the children of Waco had better representation looking out for their education and futures.
Pros
decent salary for admin, great retirement if you plan on staying with school district retirement
Cons
bad management, out dated technology, lacking people talent
Loving and Supportive Campus
Literacy Teacher/First Grade Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXFebruary 11, 2016
I enjoyed working at Waco ISD. Our campus worked together to provide our students with the best education possible. I enjoyed watching the children absorb the material that was presented to them and seeing some of them work with their peers and helping the ones that were having a hard time with certain concepts. The hardest part for me was watching a student struggle to learn a concept that we were working on and to see the frustration on his/her face. But, I never gave on my kids and made it my mission to do everthing in my power to find the answers to help them to be successful. I think the thing that I enjoyed the most about my job was seeing the smile on a student's face when he/she "got it" and telling me all about it.
Pros
support from faculty, great guidance counselor, classroom aides
Cons
deadlines, not enought materials
HEaded in the right direction.
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 20, 2016
This organization has considerably improved since I began my career here in 2003. We have a long way to go but we are making progress in every area. The district administration is stabilizing after years of chaos and campus stability is moving towards a better situation for our students.
Beware
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Administration BuildingDecember 20, 2012
Overall the pay and paid holidays are good. It's the day to day tension and stress that wears on you. Management rules on fear.
Pros
salary is ok and holidays given is good
Cons
management rules using fear of loosing job, this encourages tattling of the smallest things, no loyalty shown by management toward employees
Internship
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXMay 29, 2013
After my classes at Baylor, I would head over to one of the three WISD campuses I was assigned to. There I practiced case management, lead small group sessions, and assessed the schools' strengths and areas for growth while completing the tasks assigned to me by my task supervisor. I enjoyed working with all of my coworkers. The hardest part of the job was knowing it was only a temporary position. The most enjoyable part was witnessing students reaching their goals and feeling empowered.
Pros
working with youth
Cons
Awesome place to be employed!
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  waco, texasJuly 11, 2012
Gained a lot of knowledge and experience that I was able to use, family oriented, flex time, customer contact, basically a busy office but low stress level because of relations with management and some of the co-workers.
Pros
flex time
Cons
personality conflicts at times
Waco ISD a great place to be.
Child Nutrion Services (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJuly 29, 2014
Waco ISD is a fun place to work. I prepare and cook, food for over 400 students, plus I meet new people everyday. I enjoy talking with the students and hearing some of their experiences.I learn something new everyday from my coworkers and manager, for instance I am learning the register and the paper work of the business. It is a great atmosphere overall, because we're a great team,and we help each other. The hardest part of the job is lifting and carrying 20 lbs or more. I love working for Waco ISD, it's convenient for me and I like the fact that I am off the holidays and summer.
Pros
Free lunch, convenient for me and I like being off the holidays and summer.
Cons
Better pay and sometimes we have lift 20 lbs. or more
Great School But My Discipline Lacked
Skills for Living Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXMarch 14, 2012
I went into the classroom of 7th graders with the same laid back attitude I'd always used with high school. Found out very quickly that doesn't work. I went to several workshops on different teaching strategies, learning abilities, learning types, all which helped. The next year, I went in much stricter, had fewer problems and made many phone calls to parents. I LOVED the faculty and couldn't have asked for a better administration.
Pros
very supportive administration, parent support, budget to buy classroom items
Cons
discipline problems, only p/t job, and not high school.
Wonderful working with children
Senior Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waco, TxJune 1, 2015
typical day consisted of talking with parents and employees, on occasion helping nurse with medication. I have learned so much from starting at a school environment, to learning how to input information for students. The hardest part at a school is seeing students struggle with learning and tests and not really being able to help much.
Pros
holidays and summer off
Cons
short lunches
Data Clerk- daily data entry and customer service
Homeless Outreach Part Time Data Clerk (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJuly 21, 2015
Data entry and assisting students/parents as needed.
Answering phones, routing calls, call logs, mail correspondence, faxing and electronic filing. Overall quiet until the start of school.
teacher aid
Teacher Aid/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 27, 2013
I would go punch in , get my kids breakfast, go get my kids from the bus. after breafast i helped the teacher teach the class, all subjects. then get them ready for the bus again to go home. In the class room i was in , i learn alot from the teacher i work with. I got along with all my co-workers. My most enjoyable part of my job was work with kids and the teacher i was with.

Teach high school students social studies.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 16, 2015
Its a good place to work with a pretty good administration team and great faculty to work with. Its a challenging job with a diverse background of students.
Pros
Faculty and pay.
Cons
Difficult students.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waco ISD. Our community is ready to answer.

Waco ISD Reviews by Location