Waffle House Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,283 reviews matching the search
Fun enviornment but no where to advance
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXMarch 9, 2016
As soon as you clock in you clean your area. Set up for customers to come. Wash and put up all dishes and dry all silverware. I learned that being a waitress is not for everyone, its a very demanding job, and you cant please all. My manager was nice and understanding, made sure everyone had their needs met. would call you anytime of day to ask you to come in to fill a spot. I enjoyed the work atmosphere, because of the co-workers were always friendly and having fun, and always willing to help when needed. The hardest part of the job was the customers that were never happy about anything, and even though you worked your hardest to please them, nothing worked and they wouldn't leave tips (which you live off of literally). You basically live off tips, you will hardly ever get a raise and you will pracitcally never get to move up in the company. due to the fact there is only 1 management position for each store. The most enjoyable part of working at The waffle house, was the Co-workers, they made the days pass by quickly and made the work place fun.
Pros
Co-Workers, Free Meal
Cons
Live off tips, no place to Advance
High chance of moving higher in the company.
Waitress/Trainer/Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Sulphur, LAMarch 6, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working at this company. I started as a basic waitress making $2.13/hr, within a month my salary was raised to $3.00/hr, and I was promoted to shift leader. Within three months I was being trained to take over the position as assistant manager. I really enjoy working with the public and making friends with customers. The only thing that was not enjoyable was management abusing their powers at my current location.
family friendly restaurant
server/ grill operator (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMarch 23, 2016
Fast paced high energy store. Management very interactive and willing to give extra perks for all staff when deserved. Advancement opportunity is good as long as you are willing to work hard to achieve the goals set forth in unit.
Pros
good health benefits and pay raises
Cons
no scheduled breaks
Fun Team building job
District Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  DeSoto, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Working at the Waffle House, I walk in at least 15 minutes before the shift begins, and greet my co-workers/ employees. I assist them in completing their end of shift responsibilities, while simultaneously helping get the shift started. I count the register, complete an inventory to find what is needed for the beginning shift, and also communicate with upper management to advise them of the previous days activities, and assure them of staffing and accounting information. My job consists of coaching teamwork, customer service, handling customer and employee escalations, and also cooking customers orders in an organized and timely manner. Before leaving, I also have to count the register, do another inventory, and pull the items needed to last the next 36 hours. I once again advise upper management of the days activities and accounting information, and my day is finally complete.
Pros
Fun job, meet new people and make lots of new friends
Cons
Financial stability and benefits
Not a good place to work if you have a family.
Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 25, 2016
Work starts at 6:30 A.M. and you will never know what time you will get home. There are no holidays off, Christmas is the worst with having to work at least 12 to 14 hours that day. 24 hour shifts are not uncommon and are expected. The most I worked straight was 32 hours with no help from upper management. They are good at the story they tell you in the interview about the "money" you "will" make but it is a ploy to get someone hired and that amount will never be seen nor be given a chance to get close to.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, little pay and upper management is there for themselves only.
Overall it was a family oriented restaurant that needed a little boost in Leadership and problem solving.
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, OHMarch 15, 2016
A typical day at waffle house wasn't always so typical. Sometimes things went according to procedure unfortunately there was not much consistency on a day to day basis. I learned how to take charge of my responsibilities with next to no help from the superiors. I took pride knowing that when everyone's hands were tied I managed to pull a team together. Even though I did not have to do this. I did so the shift went accordingly.This leads me to management frankly improvements needed to be made. Not to say we didn't get along there were errors that simply needed corrected. In fact we were all happy to be working with one and other. The hardest part was seeing an issue. Talking about the issue and then seeing the issue get ignored. For instance equipment failure that happened time after time still I saw no resolve.The best part of working there was the fact that in one way or another I felt at Home maybe it was the people it might have been because it was my home town. In any event I was home for a moment.
Pros
Good food and good old home town company.
Cons
No medical benefits and too few hours.
Nice working area, always clean and fast service.
Server/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVMarch 10, 2016
You would always walk in the door and be greeted by all the co workers, Always had a smile on your face. I learned a lot from this work place for example always look at the positive side of things, and to never let something negative ruin your day. Management was great always noticed your progress and rewarded you.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
The benifits
never a dull moment
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Dunn, NC Lillington NCJanuary 17, 2016
Waffle House is one of the nastiest places I have ever worked and I have traveled to many of them they are all the same if you start getting over time they will short you on your check they don't follow the health code the dishes don't get cleaned properly they have no concern for employees need for time off they will have you working 1st 2nd and 3rd shift all in the same week not caring if you have kids apts or whatever you may have going on
Pros
raises every few months
Cons
lack of emploee appriciation
Enjoyable and great for a first time job experience or long term.
Line Cook/Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, GAJanuary 13, 2016
I really enjoyed working for the company. The days I worked were pretty good and well spent. I learned how to properly fulfill all tasks given to me.Hardest part was the constant influx of people and having to cook quickly although the company is filled with people who are extremely passionate about what they do and that is admirable.
Pros
Great work environment, Great management
Cons
Long hours, Time Management
Systems based company with quick advancement
District Manger (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 13, 2015
Energetic workplace with a strong management support team. Well structured systems based company created by GA Tech grads. Politics are always at play but hard work never goes unnoticed. The most enjoyable part of the job was the monthly "care and shares" where they'd take us to nice restaurants, team building events or just random fun activities (bowling, haunted houses, etc).
Pros
No Micro Managing, Competitve Pay
Cons
Work/Life Balance, 6 days on 2 days off rotation
Diner Fast Food
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMarch 31, 2016
The fastest diner food in the world. I think if waffle house had better management they would need to always cut their staff. They fired me after one week on the day I told them I couldn't make it was on sundays because the bus didn't run, so they told me to not come in and fired me for unfair reasons.
Pros
nonsense
Cons
nonsense
Terrible Future
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GANovember 19, 2015
Waffle house was one of worst 3 yrs of my life, I literally worked very hard every day but never once heard great job. They promote only their friends and family sleep around with each other, the CEO him self was even in scandal the list of bad goes on and on. One good thing I've learn cherish the moments you had with family and friends because this company wont let you have one don't even care money hungry
Pros
Great money when you learn how to pay your self
Cons
no work home balance no real advancement too much buddy systems
Job Perfect For Pregnant Women
Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Opelousas, LA 70570March 22, 2016
I worked this job between being 4-7 months pregnant with my second child. I needed to make money while not overworking myself due to health issues. My Coworkers, Management, and Corporate were very understanding and accommodating when it came to my work environment. While working as a Facilitator, I perform tasks such as dish washing; opening doors and greeting customers; and operating the cash register. I was constantly asked if needed a break and provided a chair when needed. The hardest part was bending over the dish pit. I am 5'7 and it hurt my back. I was provided with Tylenol however for my injured back. The most enjoyable part was spending the day helping customers have an enjoyable experience. The stories the customers of Waffle House have makes the day go by much faster.
Pros
Free lunches, Tips, Helpful Management
Cons
Healthcare, Taxes, Lazy CoWorkers
Loved cooking.
Cook (Former Employee) –  New Iberia, LA 70560April 6, 2016
I loved cooking, but the staff is not so great. They have great customers and a lot of regulars that come in everyday. Management is not family friendly. Even if you have a family emergency, you still better be at work or you get fired.
8 years
Waitress/Cook/Relief Manager/Manager (Current Employee) –  Oak Grove, MOMarch 30, 2016
With working for a company for 8 years, and growing within the company from just a server, up to management. It was a hard road, but only slightly worth it. I learned how to run a company, to hire, train, coach consistently, and lose. I have, for the last year, ran a Waffle House. When running a Waffle House, it is ran as a small business. You have to watch rent, utilities, all spending, and money coming in as well. I love working with my employees, and getting to know them as a person. I have learned about more people by getting to know my customers. I have cooked a lot, but I have also learned more customer service.
Pros
running a restaurant, meeting new people
Cons
running a restaurant
Work Life and Balance Not Possible
UNIT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 31, 2016
The company has no problem taking money back, even after 50+ hours of work and employees that will steal you blind the compensation is not worth the trouble of working for Waffle House.
Pros
Run your own business
Cons
24 hour service resturaunt leads to no home life. Upper Management are basically bunch of crooks.
Teaches life Lessons
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 1, 2015
I learned many life lesson from working in 4 Waffle Houses and meeting plenty of different types of people. Whether they we're good or bad it taught me plenty for myself and to teach my daughter. I grew many friendships and some dislike in some people.
Pros
Hours were given, easy, etc.
Cons
no raises, no benefits, and bad management
Great place to learn work ethics and meet people
l Grill Operator (Former Employee) –  Seabrook, TXJanuary 10, 2016
Waffle house will keep you busy, learn to work fast and consistency. If you have little job experience its a great place to get some and plenty of room for advancement. Stock options, holiday pay, paid vacations, benefits.
Pros
paid vacations after a year
Cons
low pay for the stress you have to deal with in rushes
low-stress work place
waitress (Current Employee) –  Brinkley, ARFebruary 8, 2016
This is a restaurant that has a confused management. Co-workers are generally easy to get along with. The hardest part of this job is the long hours of the third shift. The most enjoyable part of this job is delivering great food to hungry people.
Fast pace and customer involvement
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 22, 2016
I would get behind the register and greet customers with a smile. I would take their order and get them their drinks. When their food was up, I would take their food to their table and offer them some condiments. I would also clean the tables, counters, stock cups, lids, straws and what ever else was needed. Make sure that the store looked presentable and clean. I learned some more customer service skills, money handling and organization skills.
Management was helpful when it came to the training and how they ran their store. The workers were nice to. the hardest part of the job would be when we would get into rushes and it feels like a mad house. Yet, as much as it may be frustrating, it feels good to help customers and have them leave with a smile.
Pros
Free lunch and meet new people
Cons
Crazy busy at times