Wake Forest University Health Sciences Employee Reviews

Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMay 25, 2017
I've been with this company for 17 years and it promotes a positive working environment, has loyal and committed workers, manages different personalities, is tactful and sincere.
Pros
Excellent
Laid back workplace
Athletic Training Aide (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 15, 2017
In a typical day I go into the training room and ask the trainers if there is anything that I'm immediately needed for. If not, then I begin to restock and take care of the training room. Throughout the course of my shift, sometimes I needed for minor treatments such as ultrasounds or electrotherapy. It's a nice laid back environment where you can meet a lot of cool people.
Patient care and research
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCNovember 1, 2016
I loved working with people and co-workers in a team.
This was a major medical teaching hospital with both education and patient care. There were so many different areas to be learned.
Pros
Iteresting work
Cons
Parking
Used to be a great place to work, but not anymore.
secretary (Former Employee) –  Piedmont PlazaJanuary 28, 2016
If you are older than 50, you will have no job security. Poor management. Managers who have personal agenda's, including blatant racism. Becoming a financially RICH institution is the goal, it is no longer about patient care.

This place is cold towards employees. Years ago, employee appreciation was top notch. This is no longer the case. You can and will be replaced.

Training is a joke here. You basically have to train yourself. And as another reviewer stated, if you ask for additional training, you are denied, and quickly reprimanded for poor job performance.

This is how I lost my job. Poor to non-existant training.

After over four decades of top notch service to this institution, I was escorted out the door, and was further denied unemployment, nearly destroying my life.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
low morale, managers with little compassion and intregity, racism, age related dismissals
Most co-workers/directors were professional
Departmental Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCDecember 14, 2015
Worked at WFU School of Medicine for almost 10 years and was a good worker. Went back to college and finished. And, when I wanted to get back on... it was impossible... I was 40 years old!

I could not believe it... I applied to 100 different jobs... Received 2 interviews. I went back to visit co-workers and noticed that most... employees were very young. I lowered my salary to entry level and still no interviews.

Still do not believe... just walk down the halls. you will pass "young people".
Pros
Most are caring co-workers
Cons
Does not hire older workers
A Great Place to Work
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 24, 2015
The Public Health Sciences Department of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center is a quality employer. The department fits somewhere in the area between academics and business, so the stress level isn't always running high. However, the pay level reflects this.
Professional and top notch place to work when you are not displaced by the economy
Educational Buyer / Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCApril 25, 2015
A top notch hospital and university environment that I was proud to be a part of. Unfortunately, because of the economic crisis, the department I worked in was eliminated due to budget cuts.
Pros
Hours, work life balance and professional.
Cons
Because of the extremely large and complex business, tough decisions and job cuts are sometimes necessary.
Verry Busy - Great Place to work
Various Clerical Positions (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 3, 2015
Can be very stressful at time and stay busy all day. Working together as a team can make the job much easy. Co-workers are very nice, at times we have fun together. the hardest part of the job is getting up and down all day to retrieve faxes and faxing patient's medical record request, especially when there is some many pages to be retrieved. The most enjoyable part of the job is type of work and the people that I worked with. I worked in the Cancer Center and seeing som many people with this disease( I learned that we should never Complain).
It was good at the start, but went down hill
Lab Tech II (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 23, 2015
I enjoyed my job and co-workers in my department. The lab manager was not family friendly and had little compassion. The grant funding ended and so did my position.
Do not come here!!
CNA II (Former Employee) –  5 East ArdmoreFebruary 12, 2015
I worked at Baptist starting in August 2014. I thought it would be a good fit. I did my job and enjoyed doing it. I worked as a CNA. The nurses on my floor "claimed" I was a good CNA...But behind my back it was something different. I had a feeling. But NOT once did the supervisor come to me with problems or concerns. I came to work everyday..NEVER missed a day. Until I got the flu shot right before my shift. I worked hard..that night and got sick..I tried to keep working but I couldnt..my CHARGE nurse encouraged me to go home...that it will be "OK"...So nothing is said until 2 weeks later.. I come to work on a Monday...I overheard a CNA tell my co worker..that we were getting another CNA on our floor...after that convo..My manager comes get me...and basically FIRED me..HER REASON...my "ABSENCES"...MIND YOU I was never absent only left early once..In the 2 weeks prior to my termimation...my supervisor NEVER called me or asked to discuss things... Oh and the NEW CNA that was come to our floor?My replacement......do not come here..management sucks. Your job is not secure. Nurses can play Candy Crush all night and duck their patients..and ignore important vitals...Good riddance I have a job with REX paying $2 more per hour.
Pros
Cons
no leadership
do not recommend
rn (Current Employee) –  winston salem ncJanuary 25, 2015
have to work a lot of overtime although management denies this. People are being terminated for no reason so they do not have to pay for unemployment. Management is inept so the staff has no support to back them up. No education. You are expectedto learn your job on your own. Very stressful. If you request further education it is denied and held against you as being unable to perform the job . Making up the hospitals debt by removing benefits and lowering salaries. Once a nurse is let go a younger less experienced nurse is put him their place and a much lower salary is given.
Pros
mediocre benefits
Cons
inept management
horrible place to work
current employee (Current Employee) –  hospitalSeptember 17, 2014
No more job security at this location. They are lying to the media. People are back stabbing and everyone is scared they are going to get laid off. A lot of people have lost their jobs, people have been forced to retire, and others have been walked out by security when fired for stupid reasons so they could not get paid unemployment. Stay away from Baptist!!! Cutting pay and cutting corners because they are in dept.
Pros
You will not have to work over time. Not Allowed
Cons
People you work with, pay
The moral compass of the PI is disconcerting. Minorities are given backhanded opportunities, there is a lack of fiscal transperency, retatialiation.
Research Fellow and Alum (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest University Health SciencesSeptember 5, 2014
Minorities beware any opportunities are backhanded. PIs are not transparent about what they are doing with your grant and there is no data sharing.
Control your own grants or you will find that more than likely minority money will be dispersed to unfortunate privileged majority, while your credentials are sacrificed and you are dismissed.
Do not take my word for it, try them.
Pros
Facilities
Cons
No benefits, no childcare, retaliation, character assassination.
Productive workplace
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 24, 2013
Good benefits.
Good environment to optimize
customer service skills
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMay 22, 2013
Great place to work but job security is shaky at best.

Benefits are being reduced, staff are being removed and morale is low.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Reductions in work force due to changes in health care compensation
Amazing Quaility of Professional Audiologists and Support Staff
Temporary Audiologist (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 10, 2012
Teamwork was exemplary. Very caring and compassionate professionals who truly cared about their patients and providing superb services. I'd highly recommeded friends and family to Wake Forest's Audiology Department after seeing first hand how well they provided for their patients.
Pros
great contacts
Cons
teh position was only temporary as needed for filling in while otheres were on maternity leave