Wake Forest University

Wake Forest University Employer Reviews

PM Coordinator (Current Employee), Winston SalemDecember 10, 2014
Great environment and atmosphere. Student body is both receptive and work oriented. Faculty is inspiring and balances research and teaching responsibilities. Many projects ongoing but resources are abundant for discussion and development.
Great Place to work and advance
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee), Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 13, 2014
This is a good company to work for. If you work hard and do what you're suppose to, you could progress in the company. Progressing may take a while but it will happen.
Excellent working conditions
Service Technician (Former Employee), winston salem ncAugust 20, 2014
Pros: excellent employment
Wake Forest University is an excellent place to work with good benefits, compensation and excellent staff interaction.

Retired but certainly liked the work
It was a great opportunity and the amazing people made it a thriving environment for learning.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Winston-Salem, NCJune 30, 2014
Pros: great experience, especially to get into graduate school, and flexible working environment as we could work anywhere with a secure internet connection.
Cons: low pay, and at times, slow and monotonous time periods of waiting to get our files through the queue.
• I would arrive around 9am and be greeted by my research adviser. I would do independent research for about 4 hours then we would meet to discuss in a group setting for a short period to give updates. Lunch was about half an hour and we left usually around 5:30pm.

• My Adviser was very willing to help us in any format needed. She was understanding, but expected hard work and continuous updates on our research assignments.

• The accessibility to the supercomputer was a very hard part of the job because if we could not get our files ran, then we would be slowed down in our progress.

• I loved the friendly environment and fun and exciting discussions available as the people at the institution shared many of the same interests and hobbies as I do.
Prestigious Institution in Every Way
Reporting Analyst, Senior - Information Systems (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCApril 2, 2014
Pros: great benefits, beautiful campus, wonderful colleagues
I loved everything about Wake Forest University. It's difficult to think of any cons.
It's my great pleasure to be here
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Winston-Salem, NCMarch 9, 2014
This is a nice place to study and work. I like my students, they are smart and hard working. My professors also help me a lot on everything.
Great place to work!
Cashier-Accounts Receivable Rep (Current Employee), Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: beautiful campus
My hours are 8:30-5:00, I'm so close to all my co workers, WFU is a close-knit family of faculty, staff, and students.
The benefits are beyond compare
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: change management
I think it depends on the department for which one works. My experience had many positives and quite a few negatives. Recent changes in the department has cause a great deal of job insecurity and distrust for management. But overall, I think WFU should be a good place to work
Great Workplace and wonderful atmosphere
Marketing Intern, Student Union (Current Employee), Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 3, 2014
Wake Forest University provides great employment and internship opportunities on campus for current students. I have the great opportunity to be both a work study student in the library and an intern with the student organization, Student Union. This organization organizes events for students on campus such as Trivia Nights, Concerts, and Carnivals. I am the media intern so I create online contents such as Tweets and facebook posts along with on-campus marketing such as banners, flyers, and posters!

The great part of this job is the close relationship that grows with the students and faculty. I have also learned a great about different social media outlets.
GREAT PLACE TO WORK=COMPENSATION THE BEST
Director of Custodial Services (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCDecember 22, 2013
Pros: good benefits & salary. overall good working conditions
Cons: vice president did not need any help from directors/
I enjoyed working there. The co-workers were great. I did have different way of accomplishing things that did cause me to leave.
Fun place to tutor
Student Tutor (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCDecember 9, 2013
Pros: work life balance
Tutored when you were available. It was great to meet new people and expand your skill set in teaching.
Dealing with serious situations, yet it was a fun and great place to work.
Administration Assistant/Judicial Affairs (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCOctober 30, 2013
Pros: free coffee, pizza, and other foods, access to in-house movie theater and gym.
Cons: keeping confidential information private while sitting at the front desk.
Answering and directing calls, taking messages, scheduling judicial hearing, and filing and other clerical duties.

I learned there comes a time you must speak up for yourself and it can be successful as long as it is done in a respectful and professional manner.

My manager and most of my co-workers were great.

The hardest part of my job was to bring to a manager's attention students concerns regarding his behavior.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the students and watching them mature.
Dealing with serious situations, yet it was a fun and great place to work.
Cons: keeping confidential information private while sitting at the front desk.

My manager and most of my co-workers were great.

The most enjoyable part of the job
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Winston Salem, NCOctober 14, 2013
Pros: continuing education
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I always learned on a daily basis .
Fun place
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 5, 2013
Nice place to learn and work. I go to the lab every morning and perform research tasks. I learnt how to do first principles calculations here.
Conservative ACC Universtiy
Senior Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCAugust 25, 2013
Pros: access to university facilities, holidays.
Cons: weak management
I worked on a number of projects (Recruitment materials, development materials, logos, reports, newsletters, Alumni Association) for the University. The management was somewhat weak and hands-off. Most of my co-workers were good at their jobs. The hardest part of the job was trying to find pictures of female students who weren't wearing tank tops. The hours weren't particularly taxing.
Cultural
Assistant to the Director of Athletics (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCMay 6, 2013
Wake Forest provides a nice culture and an inclusive workplace. However, there is little room for professional advancement.
Negative Culture
Mid-level managemet (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCMay 3, 2013
Pros: the faculty/student interaction
Cons: negative culture and lack of trust
Staff, faculty and most administration love the students. The worst part of WFU is there is no organizational trust. The management structure is top heavy and as a result underlings are fatigued by shifting directions and changing objectives. There really is little or no chance for advancement. Wake seems to prefer hiring from the outside versus promoting from within (no succession planning). Compensation is below other academic institutions but I believe one gets more holidays and vacations than at the higher paying institutions.
Poor Compensation
IT (Current Employee), Winston-Salem, NCApril 4, 2013
Pros: college enviroment, laid back atmosphere
Cons: low pay!!!
Job pays poorly compared to the private sector. Almost 40% less for doing the same job. If you want to move up, you have to fit within there culture.

The best aspect of working their is the interactions with the students and the abundace of PTO. Unfortunately, you won't get paid enough to go anywhere or do anything with it
Poor Compensation