Wake Technical Community College Employee Reviews

Teaching is fundamental
Barber Instructor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 4, 2018
teaching students how to build their barbering skills, teaching theory and practical skills using the Milady's textbook, reference materials, and on-line resources. Supervised students on the practical floor, hands-on demonstrations, and interactive activities for students to enhance learning
Pros
great atmosphere, structured environment
Cons
part time hours
Good starting point
Business Instructor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 31, 2017
Teaching experience at this institution was a good starting point for tertiary teaching. Having taught at secondary school prior, the Technical College experience served as a good segue into mainstream tertiary experience, leading up to teaching doctoral students.
Pros
Easy process, especially with good knowledge of subject-matter.
Cons
A need to take on higher roles
Great Place, Great People
Library Technical Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 8, 2017
I had a wonderful experience working for Wake Tech in both the Main/Southern Campus and Health Sciences campus libraries. My co-workers were easy to work with, supportive and trained me well on the daily workings of each library. Both the dean and my immediate supervisors were always open to conversations about any issues that you may have. Great benefits package and the students were awesome.
Pros
Great benefits, laid back atmosphere, great co-workers
Cons
Long commute to main campus
Some really great people work there
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 6, 2017
There are some really great people that work there.
Really enjoyed the students and teaching them. Learned a great deal and look forward to continuing to use those skills in the future.
Productive place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 3, 2017
Welcome students at the Admissions office. Help students and answer questions. Great work environment with a good team. Fast-paced job during the enrollment season.
Excellent Learning
Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NC 27603November 26, 2017
Wake Tech is a great place to work. Having a internship with them allows you to learn how to put your skills your learning in class to real life. Wake Tech is very flexible with you in terms of the hours you want to work and help to better educate you while you are on the job. They teach you new ways to do things that make things easier and move faster and smoother.
Pros
flexible
Online classes provide the flexibility.
Student (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 21, 2017
Wake Tech is versatile for those who need current training for their career. It is affordable and flexible for the high school graduates and for the mid-career individuals seeking to enhance their skills in the workplace.
Productive and fun place to work!
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 8, 2017
Awesome place to work! The pay is also great!
Wake Tech is an awesome place and environment to work in. My boss and the coordinator of the Nurse Aide I Program are awesome!
Pros
Hours and pay
Cons
No benefits for Adjunct Faculty
Continue Education
Dedicated Student (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 2, 2017
Wake Tech is a great place to continue your education. I did not work there. I am currently a student pursing a degree in medical office administration and I like it so far.
Quiet workplace
DSS Test Proctor - Part-Time (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 15, 2017
This is a very quiet workplace with very little stress. I really enjoy meeting many students (variety in age) . I have learned that the students strive to better themselves.
Things Are Ok...
IT Instructor/Course Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 14, 2017
I go to work, do my job, and go home. What's most important is that my students are learning.
Typically: Office hours and class. I do have meetings to attend periodically.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
The Unknown Things
Good Place to Work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 29, 2017
Work days are typically brief
Easily one of the most fulfilling career choices
Management is helpful and supportive
Moral is typically high and fellow faculty is supportive and helpful
Students keep faculty engaged and motivated
Maintaining variety in lesson planning can be rightfully challenging
Assisting students in achieving academic success is worth difficulty
Pros
Access to campus facilities, unique and unparalleled experience
Cons
No benefits for adjunct faculty, adjunct pay could be better
Caring and Friendly Staff
Administrative Assistant to Senior Vice President (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 17, 2017
Great college to work for, hoping to get a full-time position soon. Learn a lot a every day operations and what it takes to run a department to ensure it success. I enjoy interacting with the staff and students.
Pros
Start out pay good
Cons
Contract position -no benefits
Review
Laboratory Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 16, 2017
Buying a TV still involves many choices, some of which may be new to you. You'll see plenty of Ultra HD (UHD), or 4K, TVs that offer greater picture detail than HDTVs, and improved contrast and color. Once you know which type of TV you want, focus on getting the right size and picture quality, and a few key features. And make sure your new TV has the connections required for...
Fun Place to work
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 13, 2017
I enjoy working here. Everyone is very helpful and welcoming. Each day is something different. I enjoy my students. I like being able to help them learn something new.
Stressful but Worth It (to an extent)
Veteran Service Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 27, 2017
The typical day consists of daily checks, seeing students, and data entry into the veteran benefit database. It is not unusual to find yourself balancing time on the phone with seeing students, responding to co-worker inquiries between campuses, and your daily tasks.
Pros
Office Space
Cons
Unpaid Lunch
One of the Great Places to Work - Period
Dean of Sponsored Programs (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 28, 2017
Wake Tech has received several awards as a great place to work, and that's been my experience as well. It is lead by a forward-thinking chief executive who has created and fosters a culture of innovation that has made the college among the top three fastest-growing large community colleges in the country for the past three years running. Of all the places where I have worked, this has been the most supportive and the most rewarding. As I approach retirement with the state, I can highly recommend Wake Tech as a place where workers at the beginning, midpoint, or end of their careers will find fulfillment and personal satisfaction.
Great place
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 25, 2017
A typical day depends mostly on me, the teacher, and the atmosphere I set inside the classroom, which is always positive. Coworkers are great! I enjoy seeing students succeed. I have learned that there is not a lot of space for growth due to limited fulltime positions in my department. The hardest part about the job is knowing that you are being "underpaid" and "overworked'. Everyone is friendly.
Pros
People are friendly.
Cons
There are not many full-time employees in my department.
it was a googd place to study
Computer Lab Monitor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NC 27603April 8, 2017
I worked as a computer lab monitor it was a work study job wasn't much to do just make sure its clean no food or drinks and make sure everybody signed in and followed the rules.
Pros
computer and internet access
Cons
no food or drinks for the monitor
Student Services Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 4, 2017
It wasn't about what you knew but, about who you knew to advance with the company. I love the job that I did and just wanted to be with a company that I could grow with.