Wake Technical Community College Employee Reviews

N/a
Career & College Promise Admissions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 20, 2017
Very good place to work if you care about students and the overall culture and climate in higher education. Many opportunities for personal and professional development. Great coworkers!
Attending Wake Technical Community College
Student (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NC 27603January 8, 2017
Attending Wake Technical Community College is very rewarding for me. I am getting the opportunity to learn a new career. The instructors are very kind and informative. They are well educated in their field. I am proud to be attending
Pros
Learning a new career.
N/a
Student (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 4, 2017
Wake Tech is a great place to further your education for professional certifications or for degree programs. Facilities are top notch and they constantly are improving.
Great if you live with your parents
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 30, 2016
Very low compensation scale. Heath Insurance is great, just can't afford to use it. Job was closer to a furniture mover than it was technical support position. Job VERY secure with minimal to zero opportunity for advancement. HR very hostile, six months after hire wants to reduce wages. Cost effective for the business, unfair to the employee. Any employee which had to interface with HR for whatever reason found themselves on the losing end.
Pros
solid job security.
Cons
VERY limited opportunity for advancement, low wages.
Overall look at Wake Tech. I continue to work for them; so it can't be half bad.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 14, 2016
Good organization works with you and you work with them. Typical community college environment, students are not as willing to work or think like a 4 year university or other community college students.
Best workplace culture ever
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 26, 2016
I have loved working here. The people are what make this place a joy to come to work every day. That, and knowing you are making a difference in people's lives.
Pros
great employee climate
Cons
none, really
Flexible and pleasant workplace, excellent team members, benefits, etc.
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 22, 2016
I truly enjoy working with students and get the opportunity to assist them in their growth and development on a daily basis.
Pros
Pleasant work environment, good team spirit among colleagues
Work Study
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 10, 2016
Good job to have while in school full time. Not a stressful job and super flexible with classes and schoolwork load. Was nice to learn some computer skills I never had reason to learn before.
Great work environment
Office Assistant (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 1, 2016
Loved working and gaining experience a group of people who were always willing to help. They had no problem answering any questions that I had to help further my skills.
Overall a Good Place to Work
Instructional Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Western CampusJune 9, 2016
Overall a Good Place to Work! There are often opportunities design to become more engaged in work/life balance. In addition, we have opportunities to seek additional skills by attending free classes twice a year.

Want to know more about Wake Technical Community College?

Ask a question
WTCC has always provided me with opportunities for growth and advancement.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 2, 2016
Co-workers work together. Management is current on research based instructional needs for students. The best part of my job is, of course, the students. I receive my energy, motivation and satisfaction when I can be a part of the journey toward a student's goals.
Adjunct Exploitation At Its Best
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  OnlineMay 27, 2016
Adjuncting for Wake Tech (Social Sciences) was essentially an exercise in worker exploitation. The department chair set unrealistic expectations (ex. 6-8 hour email turnaround, 7 days a week), particularly for part-time faculty earning $1500 per course. Micro-management to the extreme at all levels from department to college. Contracts were completed so late that the BlackBoard site was available to instructor only a few days prior to start of semester. Student feedback was largely positive, yet there were complaints from the department regarding grading/teaching style. (Ex. Student is given a clear rubric and opportunity to ask questions of the instructor, but performs so poorly that there's literally nothing to say other than "Please refer to the rubric when completing this assignment. This is unacceptable.". Instructor reprimanded for "only" saying this - more comprehensive feedback to other students was ignored.) At the end of the semester, there was no "thank you for working with us" or any such generic closing out email, which would have been the professional way to proceed regardless of whether or not an instructor is returning. Access to email/WebAdvisor was shut down at close of semester, but before contract was fully paid, so there's no access to pay information/stubs. Overall a strangely terrible and ridiculous teaching experience that I would not recommend.
College Culture
Administrative Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCFebruary 9, 2016
A typical day at Wake Tech Workforce Continuing Education would include answering phone calls about courses offered, including courses and seminars available to businesses and companies in the Triangle area.

I would also greet students continuously throughout the day as they passed my desk on their way to the campus library. This was very enjoyable and I learned a lot about some people. This was one of the most enjoyable parts of the job.

My co-workers kept me busy with helping them out with projects, research and assisting with workloads. Everyone was very sociable, friendly and helpful. I learned from them as well.
Pros
College atmosphere, vibrant and positive
Cons
Building needs to be updated. Very dark and dull.
Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 7, 2015
As an office assistant I like to keep busy and it is challenging to get the duties complete. I like the use of my skills such as speaking Spanish and English, helping other giving the information about the classes and opportunities the college has for students. Also Working together as team to complete a task.
A normal day is as follows:
Usually checking the mail, e-mails, runs reports, register students, assist students, keep track of courses or classes ending for the week, or classes starting so I can send documentation to instructors ahead so they would get what they need to begin the class specially their contracts. Filing and collecting approved contract online and or paper /hard copies. Made and received phone calls. Made copies, I had to organize my time to complete all I need at the end of the month for payroll.
A great place to work.
Student Service Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 22, 2015
A typical day for me was to begin at 7:30 and my work day started at 8. I enjoyed the people that I worked with. The best part of the job was meeting new people and working with the students, seeing them succeed was the best part.

The hardest part of the job was it stayed busy and I was the first form of contact.
great job and it was on campus
Assist Students (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 20, 2015
I loved working at the school bookstore and student center. I got to be around other peers and classmates helping them get there books and tell them how to get to their classes
Pros
meeting people on campus
Cons
it was work study only worked for 2 months on 2 months off
Productive and fun place to work and learn
Computer Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 16, 2015
I oversaw the operation of the computer lab for the Simulation and Game Design students.

I assisted students with software issues when they arose.

Tutored two students on C++ programming language.
Great office experience
Student Internship (Former Employee) –  Main Campus, RaleighJuly 13, 2015
typical day was usually 8-5

I learned and improved upon many skills like using office machines, such as copiers, scanners, fax. Greatly improved phone skills both calling and receiving calls and for appointments. My co-workers were very pleasant and helpful to me during my internship. The hardest part of my job was staying busy. The most enjoyable part was interaction with students and with other employees.
Great people
Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 6, 2015
A typical day at work would involve light paper work, reviewing purchase orders and assistance with lecture for incoming students. A well oiled machine this was a great place to work if you enjoy being around people and helping students.
Pros
Great location
Evening Continuing-Ed Instructor - Math & Verbal Prep for GRE & GMAT Tests
Adjunct Professor - Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCJune 15, 2015
Instructing at Wake Tech in the evenings is very enjoyable and an honor. I'm teaching my 7th group of degreed students in Math, and (now) my first group in the Verbal aspects of the GRE/GMAT exams.

I use a variety of media and book sources to get my students up to speed for the subject matter covered by these national tests - as well as recognizing the pitfalls and "traps" to avoid when taking them.

It is most rewarding to see these people gain the necessary tools in my classes and then go on to graduate schools to earn their Masters degrees.

My supervisor and co-workers are all very supportive of my work, and I'm now receiving requests to develop new courses from them, including both math and US history, too teach in the evenings in the fall.
Pros
Excellent learning atmosphere and enthusiatic co-workers.
Cons
None.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wake Technical Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4