Wake Technical Community College Employee Reviews in United States

Great work environment
Office Assistant (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 1, 2016
Loved working and gaining experience a group of people who were always willing to help. They had no problem answering any questions that I had to help further my skills.
Overall a Good Place to Work
Instructional Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Western CampusJune 9, 2016
Overall a Good Place to Work! There are often opportunities design to become more engaged in work/life balance. In addition, we have opportunities to seek additional skills by attending free classes twice a year.
WTCC has always provided me with opportunities for growth and advancement.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 2, 2016
Co-workers work together. Management is current on research based instructional needs for students. The best part of my job is, of course, the students. I receive my energy, motivation and satisfaction when I can be a part of the journey toward a student's goals.
Adjunct Exploitation At Its Best
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  OnlineMay 27, 2016
Adjuncting for Wake Tech (Social Sciences) was essentially an exercise in worker exploitation. The department chair set unrealistic expectations (ex. 6-8 hour email turnaround, 7 days a week), particularly for part-time faculty earning $1500 per course. Micro-management to the extreme at all levels from department to college. Contracts were completed so late that the BlackBoard site was available to instructor only a few days prior to start of semester. Student feedback was largely positive, yet there were complaints from the department regarding grading/teaching style. (Ex. Student is given a clear rubric and opportunity to ask questions of the instructor, but performs so poorly that there's literally nothing to say other than "Please refer to the rubric when completing this assignment. This is unacceptable.". Instructor reprimanded for "only" saying this - more comprehensive feedback to other students was ignored.) At the end of the semester, there was no "thank you for working with us" or any such generic closing out email, which would have been the professional way to proceed regardless of whether or not an instructor is returning. Access to email/WebAdvisor was shut down at close of semester, but before contract was fully paid, so there's no access to pay information/stubs. Overall a strangely terrible and ridiculous teaching experience that I would not recommend.
College Culture
Administrative Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCFebruary 9, 2016
A typical day at Wake Tech Workforce Continuing Education would include answering phone calls about courses offered, including courses and seminars available to businesses and companies in the Triangle area.

I would also greet students continuously throughout the day as they passed my desk on their way to the campus library. This was very enjoyable and I learned a lot about some people. This was one of the most enjoyable parts of the job.

My co-workers kept me busy with helping them out with projects, research and assisting with workloads. Everyone was very sociable, friendly and helpful. I learned from them as well.
Pros
College atmosphere, vibrant and positive
Cons
Building needs to be updated. Very dark and dull.
Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 7, 2015
As an office assistant I like to keep busy and it is challenging to get the duties complete. I like the use of my skills such as speaking Spanish and English, helping other giving the information about the classes and opportunities the college has for students. Also Working together as team to complete a task.
A normal day is as follows:
Usually checking the mail, e-mails, runs reports, register students, assist students, keep track of courses or classes ending for the week, or classes starting so I can send documentation to instructors ahead so they would get what they need to begin the class specially their contracts. Filing and collecting approved contract online and or paper /hard copies. Made and received phone calls. Made copies, I had to organize my time to complete all I need at the end of the month for payroll.
A great place to work.
Student Service Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 22, 2015
A typical day for me was to begin at 7:30 and my work day started at 8. I enjoyed the people that I worked with. The best part of the job was meeting new people and working with the students, seeing them succeed was the best part.

The hardest part of the job was it stayed busy and I was the first form of contact.
great job and it was on campus
Assist Students (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 20, 2015
I loved working at the school bookstore and student center. I got to be around other peers and classmates helping them get there books and tell them how to get to their classes
Pros
meeting people on campus
Cons
it was work study only worked for 2 months on 2 months off
Productive and fun place to work and learn
Computer Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 16, 2015
I oversaw the operation of the computer lab for the Simulation and Game Design students.

I assisted students with software issues when they arose.

Tutored two students on C++ programming language.
Great office experience
Student Internship (Former Employee) –  Main Campus, RaleighJuly 13, 2015
typical day was usually 8-5

I learned and improved upon many skills like using office machines, such as copiers, scanners, fax. Greatly improved phone skills both calling and receiving calls and for appointments. My co-workers were very pleasant and helpful to me during my internship. The hardest part of my job was staying busy. The most enjoyable part was interaction with students and with other employees.

Want to know more about Wake Technical Community College?

Ask a question
Great people
Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 6, 2015
A typical day at work would involve light paper work, reviewing purchase orders and assistance with lecture for incoming students. A well oiled machine this was a great place to work if you enjoy being around people and helping students.
Pros
Great location
Evening Continuing-Ed Instructor - Math & Verbal Prep for GRE & GMAT Tests
Adjunct Professor - Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCJune 15, 2015
Instructing at Wake Tech in the evenings is very enjoyable and an honor. I'm teaching my 7th group of degreed students in Math, and (now) my first group in the Verbal aspects of the GRE/GMAT exams.

I use a variety of media and book sources to get my students up to speed for the subject matter covered by these national tests - as well as recognizing the pitfalls and "traps" to avoid when taking them.

It is most rewarding to see these people gain the necessary tools in my classes and then go on to graduate schools to earn their Masters degrees.

My supervisor and co-workers are all very supportive of my work, and I'm now receiving requests to develop new courses from them, including both math and US history, too teach in the evenings in the fall.
Pros
Excellent learning atmosphere and enthusiatic co-workers.
Cons
None.
Adjunct Faculty/ Assistant Evening Director
Evening Assistant Site Director Cont Ed (Former Employee) –  Assistan Evening DirectorJune 9, 2015
Fast paced, overseeing all the evening classes, and facilities.

Making sure students and instructors had paper work, site visits to make sure everything was in compliance.

It was an interesting opportunity to work for the evening Director
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
Part Time position
Relaxing and fun place to work
Computer Lab Monitor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 3, 2015
A typical day at the Wake Technical Community College computer lab included verifying each student using the computer had a current Wake Tech I.D. The position also included verifying the printers and computers were working properly for student use.
Pros
A fun place to work.
Cons
It was only part-time.
Awesome
President List (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaMay 28, 2015
This school is awesome, offering all the students in my major to be able to get into this internship for experience is great!
Love working and attending classes at the same location.
Work Study Clerical (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 28, 2015
I enjoyed working with the Fines Arts Program. I was able to get Administrative work experience and a feel for Art History. I also was able to walk the campus and pass flyers out for special events.
Pros
Working and attending classes at the same location.
Cons
Wish there were more working hours in a day.
Great environment to work in if you enjoy interacting with people
Work-study Records & Registration (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 5, 2015
Each day is different because you meet different people daily. There was never a boring moment. Definitely always work that needed to be done.
Institution of Higher Education
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 8, 2015
If you are an educator or interested in working in the educational community, Wake Tech is one of the best institutions to work.

Faculty and Staff enjoy their jobs and the President of the College recognizes all the efforts put forth to ensure students are receiving a quality education.
Pros
Benefits, merit increases
Cons
Not having a supportive manager who encourages growth.
Great experience
Culinary Arts Instructor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 4, 2015
I had a great experience working for Wake Technical Community College. I found it to be very rewarding instructing and preparing aspiring chefs for career opportunities in the culinary arts industry.
Daily
HR/HRIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  9101 Fayetteville RoadMarch 10, 2015
Daily work load is a typical day at work. I love my job, and being that I'm able to work in a positive environment. Being this is my first opportunity to work in a college professional area has strength my knowledge looking forward to going back to finish my degree

4.4