Wakefern Food Corporation

Wakefern Food Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,033 reviews matching the search
great workplace never knew who i would meet on any given day.
Front end supervisor/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Liberty, NYFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at shoprite would be filled with many tasks including but not limited to counting the money draw, fixing any problems that may appear, customer service, scheduling cashier breaks and replacements,returns, refunds, and just being the person that for anyone who may need a listening ear to make their day a little brighter.
I definitely learned a lot during my time there. most importantly i learned that you have to be ready for anything, and treat everybody with respect it may sound simple but its really important.
Cant complain about my co-workers or management, great people. I have lots of found memories and great friends from my time there.
The hardest part is never knowing what to expect. Accidents happen, and machines break. Always have to be ready to solve the situation.
Being in a job that you work with people is very gratifying. The feeling I get from making someones day always put a smile on my face, and a warm feeling in my heart.
Pros
people, fast paced
Cons
short hours, hard to get benefits
Good place to work if your in high schol or just looking for a part-time job.
Produce Clerk, Cashier, Stocker (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAMarch 15, 2016
I believe shoprite is a good place to work if your in school and only looking for part-time employment. I believe that there is opportunity if your willing to put in the time, and work hard. The only flaw is that the compensation(salary),sometimes is not worth the role that you may be in, or looking for...
Pros
If your a full-time employee, overtime is available weekly.
Cons
Salary
A great place to work, and a great place to shop
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wharton, NJJanuary 1, 2016
Co-workers are great, management is OK.
Advancement is not good. People are working for so long and they still do the same thing for years since there isn't enough opening positions throughout the company. So, advancement is hard on the job.
Payment is above the average. Typical benefits one can find in a retail store can be seen here as well, only full timers have benefits which are limited to only management team.
Pros
Management is easy to work with, schedules are flexible. Above avarage payment.
Cons
Weekends are a must, working with owner sometimes hard where there's less recovery chance of a mistake.
Not a helathy place to work.
Assistant Manager / Cake Decorator / Baker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 13, 2016
Management is very rude and unprofessional, and very exploitative. Very low pay for very hard work. People would get fired and quit and they would not replace anyone which meant we all had to work twice as hard to make up for all of the losses. I would'nt wish the stress or misfortune of working here on anyone. STAY AWAY!
Pros
Cons
You have to work there 2+ yrs to get good benefits and 5+ years for good pay!
Productive and simple
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milford, CTMarch 14, 2016
I was a cashier at Shoprite. When I would start to ring a customer up, I would always have to ask them, "Do you have a Shoprite card? Did you find everything okay? Do you have any coupons?" If I didn't ask all three of these questions, my manager would tell me what I did wrong. Even though my manager would always give me feedback, she was usually very rude about it.
Cons
No benefits, rude managers, rude customers, and no air conditioning in the break rooms or check out area
satisified
Bakery Team Member (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NJMarch 31, 2016
content with the management and my team members. a friendly environment with long lasting benefits. with the work being split among several employees, the work load is not too strenuous to complete in a timely manner leaving ample time to accomplish other tasks.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
not enough hours available
Customer service
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEDecember 23, 2015
Cashier rung customers up, spotted dot (get customers to come through my line) Self check out (helped customers ring their items up by themselves) returns (put items back on the shelf that customers did not want and also took unwanted items off the shelf that weren't suppose to be there) Online Shopping ( downloaded customers orders onto gun and shopped orders throughout the store, bagged their items, called them about any subs, loaded their cars and rung them up)
Pros
paid vacation after a year, raise every six months, incentives
Cons
short breaks, lack of communication, and union dues
Productive yet hostile workplace
Shop-Rite Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mount Pocono, PADecember 12, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of me going in and clocking in at first. Then I would check all of the inventory we have and fill in what needed to be filled in on the shelf. I enjoyed the people I worked with. Everyone was always scared of the general store manager coming in and screaming at them. I did not think it was a healthy environment because the gm never praised employees, but always told employees what they were doing negatively. I never encountered a problem with the gm, but I always heard someone talking about their issue they had with him.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Bad manager
Flexible job for part-time students
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Delran, NJJanuary 27, 2016
A typical day at Shoprite varies. Sundays are always busiest and you're on the go all day. You become close to your co-workers and they become like family. The hardest part of the job is trying to deal with difficult customers and you can't always make everyone happy. It's a good part-time job to have while you are in school.
Pros
Frequent raises, holiday pay, union, flexible
Cons
Short breaks, must work weekends, 5% discount
Simple but complicated job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 25, 2016
When you think about being a cashier at grocery store,you think of it as a very simple job, which it is. This job has many requirements and rules, but no benefits. we get paid 20 cents above minimum wage and they treat us as if we get paid so much. what i learned about this job was discipline that i needed for any future job. I learned more about customer service and handling money and how to maintain a job. the worst part of this job is that they work us like slaves for a low pay, no benefits and not even an employee discount.
Starter job
Front End Supervisor/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ellenville, NYJanuary 8, 2016
ShopRite was a good starter job and part-time job. You were able to learn different jobs titles in the multiple departments. They would train you well and let you learn at your own pace. It is not a company that hires Full-time easily which is why I believe it is a good starter job. They don't pay that well. But it was a fun environment to work in and I enjoyed working with my co-workers.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Work around your schedule, cross train with depts.
Cons
Can't get full-time easy, pay, benefits
Never a dull moment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Delran, NJNovember 29, 2015
Overall it's an okay place to work. There's never a shortage of hours and they are nearly always hiring. It pays weekly and raises are frequent when you first start. Your direct supervisors tend to be very friendly and helpful.

But the further up you go, the less so they become. There isn't very much socialization allowed as a cashier between you and your coworkers, but in other departments it's much more lax and people tend to get along better.
Pros
Plenty of hours, wages, direct supervisors are nice
Cons
Lack of connection with coworkers
Great for Hard Workers
Appy Associate/ Cook (Current Employee) –  Newton, NJJanuary 1, 2016
Put effort in and don't say no and they'll train you all over, which is a lot of work but makes you an asset. Really tough to get full time as they only hire partime and promote from within.

Great co-workers and even most supervisors and mangers are awesome.
Pros
Union Protection, Yearly raises, Great Co-workers, not back breaking work.
Cons
Hard to get converted to full time.
Very busy, fun company to work for
Dairy clerk (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NJNovember 10, 2015
Fun company to work for. I learned a lot about management, customer service, and helping people out. Customers will keep you on your toes at all times. Unfortunately this company does not offer health benefits and they do not offer much room to grow. There was always a customer or employee to make you smile. Great place to work part time but tough to make a career out of.
Pros
Always something to do, never bored
Cons
no health benefits, not much room to grow
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 12, 2016
Very outgoing type of place although the placement of your job varies from time to time. Management was sometimes iffy but the employees were usually fun to get along with.
Pros
Pay/ Benefits
great work environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bayonne, NJJanuary 27, 2016
I will proceed to the stock room and check the task list at hand for my shift. After, i will review the store floor, check the sale items and presentation. Review all aisles and shelves, fill all shelves, and guide customers to the correct aisles or find certain products.
benefits
Cons
lack of hours
A bizarre and unusual experiance
Nightcrew (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTOctober 21, 2015
Working over night for this company was and experience unlike anything that I have ever encountered. If you are a person who has no organizational skills and can work in a extremely confusing and chaotic work environments than this is for you,the pay is horribly and the benefits are nonexistent however,it is unlikely you will ever be fired so at least the is a certain level of job security.Be prepared to deal with people from all walks of life in this anything goes work place.
Pros
job security
Cons
you will probably lose your mind
highly unethical
Assistance Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Delran, NJMarch 3, 2016
the owners care more about making money than they do the moral of their workers. the management openly admits that you cant discipline everyone the same way, meaning the majority have to work harder while if you arent that, you can be late, not show up, damage company property, or plainly be disrepectful to your boss and not face any action for it.
incredibly weak union too. in fact as soon as they sign a contract, it's already up and they need to start working on a new contract so you are always under the umbrella. in other words it takes 2 years to sign a 2 year contract.
dont get too attached to anyone either, not many stay longer than a month. if you stay that long you'll no exactly why the turn over is so poor.
Fun job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hazlet, NJJanuary 31, 2016
Great first time job. raises happen very fast went from making 8 an hour to making 13 an hour. very fun very easy. loved working there
Great team effort Great atmosphere
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Newport, DENovember 22, 2015
Shoprite had a great work environment. That was because of the employees. Everyone worked cohesively to accomplish any given objective. Due to Obamacare, benefits and full time positions weren't available. That is the one thing that will turn people away. Working 2-3 days a week until you get seniority is very aggravating. Overall, if/when full time positions become available, Shoprite would be a great place to work.

Wakefern Food Corporation Reviews by Location