WakeMed Employee Reviews

Great work environment with wonderful staff and opportunity for advancement.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 12, 2016
This was a very busy work place, but the great staff made it all possible as we worked together as a team. The management also helped and supported the effort of the team to accomplish the daily work load. The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff that I worked with. Even in the busiest and most demanding days, we were able to smile and laugh and support each other. The hardest part of the job was to say good bye to all of my friends/co-workers and doctors in the practice. I will truly miss working with them, but hope to soon find another wonderful workplace to help fill this void.
Pros
Healthcare benefits
Cons
The need for additional staff that they were in the process to get approval to hire.
excellent place for a new grad nurse!
Staff Nurse III, Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 17, 2016
As a new graduate nurse, I had to experience the unfortunate circumstances where nurses "eat their young" and occasional poor teamwork.
However, the hospital provided amazing educational opportunities, benefits and room for advancement.
Excellent team of physicians.
Plenty of work, good pay & benefits
Team Lead - Medicaid (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 14, 2016
Plenty of work with the pay and benefits
Generous vacation time - great co-workers
jldfsssssssssslfjsldfjsdlfjslfjsldkjflsdjfsldfjsdfjslfdskfsjflskjfslkjfslfjslfjslfjslfjslfjslfjslfsjfdlskjflsjfsljfslfjsldfjsldfjslfkjslfjslfsjlfjslfjslfsjflsjflsfjslfjslfjslfjslfjslfjslfjslfjslfdjowueorowerqoerqoerwoerfwoeroqeruowerjwelnsk,dfnskfnn
Friendly Staff
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 24, 2016
I enjoy working there. I liked talking with the staff and patients from all over the world. I liked the people I work with on the night shift.
Pros
Vac. Benifits
Cons
Strict
Overworked and Understaffed
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 9, 2016
Raleigh Campus

-Dangerously short-staffed, especially nights and weekends. There isn't always coverage for all areas of the hospital at critical times. ie. no availability during traumas (Level 1 Trauma Center?)
-Micromanagement from "working" supervisors unwilling/unable to operate equipment.
-Lack of support from upper management. The term "thrown under the bus" could have originated here.
-Lack of consistency regarding treatment of staff I hate to say, "it depends on who you are," but ....
-Accrued PDO's but limited ability/availability to use them.
-Non family-friendly environment.
-HIPAA?

-Awesome patients-very diverse population.
-Can be personally rewarding if you are able to ignore the constant negativity.
-A great place to begin your career. An opportunity to practice and perfect your skills.
Paient acct rep
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 26, 2016
No opportunity for advancement, its not what you know its who you know, easy to get comfortable there, but the turnover rate is high
Pros
EASY TO GET COMFORTABLE
Cons
SALARY, OPP FOR ADVNCEMENT
Teamwork
Clinical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCOctober 31, 2016
A great group of people who worked as team, who were dedicated and supportive. The hardest part of my job was taking care of someone who was dying and their families. The most enjoyable part was learning different things from my patients. My management staff was supportive and always willing to help if needed. The most valuable thing I have learned is to value each day because you never know when it will be taken away.
Typical day for me if I was in charge is do all the daily tasks for the charge nurse, checking code carts, responding to rapid responses and code blues in other areas of the hospital, triaging patients, making sure I had the right amount of staff or working towards finding coverage to fill holes. I would also assist other nurses in their assignments if needed, starting IV's, discharging patient, giving medications, etc. I would also meet the ambulance patients and get them registered and on the board. Another big part of being in charge was communicating with other departments, the floors, and doctors to advocate for the patients well being.
Productive and great place to work
Clinical Educator/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 14, 2016
Provide direct supervision to 75 employees. Balance the schedule,
provide coaching and counseling on job performance, perform annual evaluations, keep staff educated on new policies and procedures, and participate in projects to provide new and innovative ways to provide quality service to our patients and families. I also interview, hire, and participate in termination of employees. I onboard and orient new employees and place them with the best possible match to help them become excellent employees. I also act as a liaison between nursing education and the staff nurses to place nursing students with preceptors. I act as an advocate for patients, families, and staff members. I also act as a mediator between staff that are having disagreements and provide them with suggestions to improve communication and interaction amongst one another. I also teach Personnel Related Issues twice a system wide to new charge nurses.
Pros
Great culture.
Cons
Need more upper management involvement.
Mixed feelings
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 13, 2016
I worked at Wake Med for three years. Although I worked under a very tough manager, I thoroughly enjoyed working with my team. Initially, I loved my job, but as time went on, team members became very back biting resulting in a lot of drama and a change in our upper management. That was when things got really bad. The person they placed in charge was a complete and total loon. That is when I decided it was time to move on.

Management's overall style was very archaic. Very heavy at the top and understaffed at the bottom. It was also a very authoritarian environment. Staff members needed management approval for even the slightest deviation of SOP. Made staff members feel as if management did not think they were capable of making a sound decision.

Biggest cons of working at Wake Med: little to no opportunity for advancement, the inability to use accrued PDO. The reason I was always given for not being able to use the time I had earned was we were short staff. Not only could I not use the time I had earned (a benefit), but I could not be paid for it either. I always thought that sounded illegal.
Pros
Biggest pro: I was paid well and had a good benefit package, even though I was limited in my ability to use PDO
wakemed review
CLINICAL SERVICE TECH (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 6, 2016
I am very happy with my job and position with WakeMed. I have been with the company for almost 2 years and it has been a good experience so far and I plan to stay and grow with this company as long as I possibly can
Pros
good co workers and management staff
Cons
some times it is very busy and it is a little stressful
Best management structure in the industry
CDI Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 1, 2017
Wake Med CDI has created an integration of Coding and the CDI team that allows for most productive outcomes I have seen. The management of the CDI program there currently is excellent. The remote option is a tremendous benefit that is hard to find in this industry.
Pros
Management and remote feature
awesome place to work
Claims & Billing Supervisor - Government (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 18, 2016
I am a part of the WakeMed community and I love this organization. There are plenty of activities to be involved in and they show their appreciation for their employees. Advancement starts from within.
Depends on who your manager is.
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 30, 2016
Everything was fine until our management started changing, things went down hill from there, and no one seemed to care as long as patients were being seen. Employee appreciation definitely declined and you had to look over your shoulder everyday. Once management decided to put a bulls eye on your back they did anything they could to make life miserable. My first 3.5 years was beautiful, my last 5 months were miserable. The sad thing about it is that they don't care.
Pros
There were many of these
Cons
no voice, no protection from management, management needs leadership training
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 5, 2016
Wakemed is good company to work for and offers good benefits to eligible employees. Good growth available within company and staff is very friendly staff.
Medium
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, North CarolinaSeptember 14, 2015
A typical day here would be to resolve every account you touch. I learn a great deal about third party payors. My co-workers were excellent. The hardest part of my job was dealing with Medicare and having teamleaders and manager watching every move I made when working accounts. I like my work but management made it unbearable. The most enjoyable part of this job was the support of my co-workers.
Pros
Great Benefits!
Cons
MICRO MANAGEMENT!!!!!
Very Productive and efficient work environment
Internship (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 9, 2016
Everyday is a new experience and always a challenge to tackle. The management is very hard working and very kind. The co-workers were very helpful and always made it fun in completing tasks
Bad management
CT Tech (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 29, 2014
My coworkers were wonderful people but are quickly being forced out by bad management all with the attitude "you are all replaceable." Well, literally half of us have had to be replaced in the last year alone because of poor management! Not only have we not had raises in nearly 2 years but our already outrageous health care costs have gone up, our time off has been reduced, and shift differentials have been cut. And yet our manager tells us that work should be our first priority above family even. Your work was picked apart by someone who has never done your job, you have to beg for even a day off, and are constantly talked down to and belittled in any number of backhanded ways. The off sites were okay but stay away from Big Wake!!
Pros
Coworkers and front line staff really do care
Cons
Poor work environment created by management
Just Plain Horrible!
OR staff Worker (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 12, 2014
I worked for this company and I must say management is very cut throat and will say and do anything to get you fired even if that means lie to you or make up stories to paint you out to look like the bad guy. Middle management is no better either just slaves to upper hierarchy. No raises, PDO's cut, short staff and no paid overtime.STAY AWAY from this horrible Hospital, its not cleaned well and filled with disgruntled employees. They're so call motto is Wake Way, which is a crock of bull and fake! Most of upper Management are not even qualified for the positions they have, The Manager that I had only had a Associates Degree in Nursing, when most hospitals you need a Master degree in Nursing to Manage a Department
Pros
Some Co-Workers
Cons
Short Breaks, No Overtime, No Raises, Bad Management Team
Good benefits, educational environment....
Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCMarch 13, 2015
Good benefits, educational environment, very competitive pay rates and ‘most’ of the workplace community great. The corporate culture is North Carolina relaxed although strict in the sense of The Wake Way goals and code(s) of conduct. The company mission statement is clear: Patients and Families first. Expectations and objectives are rational and the support is there to assist all employees achieve set (situational) objectives. Management desires to help their departments function and succeed.
Pros
Education and pay rate.
Management at WM North is horrible
WM North (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 1, 2016
Management is clueless on how to operate a hospital. Department managers don't have any knowledge about WakeMed policies and procedure or how to be a department manager. Coworkers in ALL departments are constantly griping. Worst place I've ever worked at.
Pros
Got a job
Cons
Department managers and PAY

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WakeMed. Our community is ready to answer.

WakeMed Reviews by Location