WakeMed Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 11, 2017
Pathology management and high levels of administration are very involved and value the staff. The volume of work is busy but reasonable. Quality is everyone's top priority.
Overall a great place to work
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 9, 2017
Overall management was professional
Good work environment
Easy to get time off in the Pathology lab
Good co-workers
Friendly atmosphere, although I would like to see more people smile in the hallways as you pass each other.
Mixed feelings
RN (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 1, 2017
Love what I do and patient care is my passion. Management does not follow through and I feel like I am not being heard. Not a fair team environment. Benefits are very expensive.
Pretty Good
Interim Registration & Guest Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 20, 2017
I enjoy working there, It is a pretty good place to work. It's a hospital so its fast paced, which I enjoy. I would recommend any one working here. Love it
Each unit is different, opinion is of one unit
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 18, 2017
Wake Med in general is not a bad place to work. Over the past 5 years however, the management culture has changed to a numbers driven, look good on paper competition between departments. Management does not seem to care what REALLY happens, or how patients are REALLY cared for, or how staff REALLY feels. The focus is on how things LOOK IN DOCUMENTATION. Additionally, attitutes towards staff nurses (meaning those who actually DO the work) have become ridiculously punative for minor infractions (forgetting to chart one item or charting it outside of a unit mandated time, clocking in 5 minutes tardy or out 5 minutes late or venting frustations to a manager behind closed doors could earn a written disciplinary action or a blocked request for transfer to another shift or department or vengeful denials of requested PTO. At the same time, staff who arrive early, volunteer to decorate the bulletin board or audit charts, document assessments perfectly without doing them and neglect their patients because they play candy crush or watch movies on their phone somehow slip under the cracks) This has resulted in staff not feeling safe to report genuine concerns, falsely documenting the time care ACTUALLY took place, and just going through the motions necessary to keep their job. Also, some units are routinely understaffed and the staffing pool is poorly equipped and managed. Units often have to pull nurse techs to sit with mental health patients because the hospital is not prepared to handle the increasing volume of the underserved psychiatric population. Management also fails to plan  more... for the inevitably fluctuating staffing shortages that occur in the healthcare field...maternity leaves, illness, staff burnout and turnover. People who work so hard caring for sick people require more time off. Period. The long term cost of this culture will be immeasurable and patient care already has and will continue to suffer.  less
Pros
Competative pay, Awesome co-workers, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Understaffed, punative culture, management
Great job with great benefits
Emergency Communications Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 7, 2017
I started with Wakemed in 2002. There were a lot of challenges, but the people were great to work with. Training is essential and always having continuous education. I enjoyed my 15 years there.
Benefits
Cons
Can be long hours
WakeMed
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 5, 2017
Overall, it is a great place to work. There are some areas where they lag behind the competition in the area, but given the pros, I would say they out weigh the cons.
Fast Paced, Exciting environment. Exhausted by 12 hour end.
Behavioral Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 31, 2017
Thoroughly challenging job which for myself and many others is addicting. Loved it.

I still remain close to the staff I worked with at the hospital with joy
Pros
Good Pay, Great Co-workers
Cons
Stress, Overwhelming Responsibilities.
Professional Environment
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 30, 2017
It took me more than seven years to get in to Wakemed! I have over 150 rejection letters. Since I was hired in 2015 I have learned a lot and is pleased with Management.
Very productive and well organised
secretary/nurse aide (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 29, 2017
Wonderful place to work well organized. Management is great. Flexible scheduling. Coworkers work together well. Job assignments not overwhelming. Fast paced well trained staff.
Pros
Wonderful
Cons
No concerns
ok
Relay blood analysis results to a physician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 22, 2017
Big hospital with great opportunities however from my time their you are judged on your personality versus your work ethic in the department. Great nursing and physician staff
Little respect between ranks
Nurse Aide II/Clinical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCAugust 13, 2017
The overall culture was one of disrespect between ranks. Whether that was doctors to nurses or nurses to CNAs, working there left me bitter and it wasn't until I found greener pastures that my love for the field of healthcare was found again. Management sweeps problems under the run instead of solving them and the whole organization in general is more concerned about saving money than it is about providing quality patient care.
Pros
Pto, cafeteria discounts, a few good co-workers
Cons
Culture resembling middle-school gossip crowds, bad management, unreasonable staffing ratios
Volunteer Experience
Day Surgery Unit Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCAugust 9, 2017
I was able to really distinguish which part of the health field I aspired to be in via this volunteer experience. While the job was easy, beneficial, and allowed patient interaction, I felt that the overall environment was not for me. However, the experience as a whole allowed me to observe nurses at work in addition aided me in my knowledge of the nursing field.
friendly
CNA Student (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 9, 2017
Very friendly hospital to work for. Learned how to deal with stressful situations in a calm manner. Everyone is a team and helps one another out. I love seeing smiles on everyone's faces
Pros
Healthcare, friendly people, good food
WakeMed is an awesome place to work.
CHAPLAIN RESIDENT (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 1, 2017
WakeMed hospital is a place that strives to serve patients and their families with the best possible care and compassion they can give. Many departments corroborate equally in an afford to deliver good end results.
Pros
Free parking for employees and a large cafeteria, discounted pharmacy.
Cons
Short breaks and lunch times
Hostile environment
RN Staff Nurse OR (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 31, 2017
I worked here overall for several years. I worked in the OR the environment was hostile, lots of cliques, no teamwork, management turned over a few times and each time was terrible, new staff not welcomed, just overall no organization.

High acuity patients, I learned a lot. Extremely stressful hard work. No organization from room to room or for instruments / supplies.
Pros
learned a lot. great teaching hospital
Cons
no breaks, short staffed but staffed on paper, no organization, hostile environment
work
Patient Financial Info Specialist/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 12, 2017
I handle payer refunds for all government and commercial payers. I code claims and process appeals. I process accordingly to government policies which
Mission Focused Organization
Executive Director, Foundation & Grants (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 12, 2017
WakeMed Health & Hospitals provides outstanding and compassionate care to all who seek its services. The entire workforce is driven by this mission with a high dedication to serving the healthcare needs in the community. I was fortunate to participate for over 20 years in helping fulfill this mission by engaging WakeMed's employees and the community in supporting many important programs at WakeMed. Our biggest challenge was making sure, year in and year out, that we provided ongoing high quality care and support in the healthcare sector which is a very unstable and changing financial reimbursement environment. Everyday was a challenge but also an opportunity.
Might want to pass on this one, Respiratory therapists
Respiratory Care Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 29, 2017
My experience with this organization is not so positive.leadership in the respiratory department was some of the worst I have ever experienced in my 20 year career. This contributes to a negative backstabbing, mistrusting environment that makes everyday on the job much more difficult. Once you resign under this director for any reason such as myself, leaving in good terms you will not be rehired. There are grudges held and your reputation may be smeared. Buyer beware
Pros
Some decent coworkers
Cons
Everything except for above
There are many great things at WakeMed as a whole.
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 26, 2017
My only drawback is the lack of flexibility within my department. The management has no real say in the areas if they don't align with the directors ideas.
Pros
Executive Management is great!
Cons
my department is too micro-managed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WakeMed. Our community is ready to answer.

WakeMed Reviews by Location