Walbridge Employee Reviews

Military Structured
Senior Estimator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 1, 2016
Very challenging place of work, limited / little support by upper management and supervisors.

Very aggressive and demining upper and executive level management.

Extensive, expected travel for given assignments without additional compensation.
Pros
Job Security & Large Firm
Cons
Upper Level Management and Lower Level Staff engagment, very militant workplace
Superintendent and Project Manager
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KS, Denver, CO, Tampa, FloridaNovember 30, 2015
Constructed various projects from small retail spaces to outlet malls, power centers, hospital wing additions, corporate headquarters, big box retailers and office buildings. Started with Phillips Const. Co., Inc. and became Walbridge due to a merger.
Terrible work environment unless you are a robot
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 8, 2015
This was the worst job experience I have ever had. The office was a cubicle graveyard of silence, where all the employees seemed to keep there heads down and mouths shut. When I was moved to the field the management was obviously stuck in the past, where their motivation style was to yell as much as they could, and expected you to give up your life to work for them. Everyone I know that worked their with any self respect or a thought of doing things in a new and innovative way left the company or was fired within in a year. Since working there I have been told that it is the model to hire five employees with the intent of keeping two or three past one year. I stress to anyone that has self dignity DO NOT WORK at Walbridge
Project Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 3, 2015
It was educational, you worked 10 hour days. My co workers were great people to work with upper Management just wanted you to work harder.
Not a team environment.
Project Manager/Estimator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILFebruary 2, 2015
Most days are spent defending your choices and explaining yourself to various managers throughout company. Co-workers are cautious in all dealings and always looking out for themselves. I learned to keep to my own business and not involve myself in office politics or the rumor mill.

Training is minimal and you learn as you go, sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission. The best part of working at Walbridge is that there is some flexibility in your schedule.

Leadership changes often, I have seen three general managers in four years. With each they promise great changes but everything is that same just fewer people working at our facility.
Pros
flexible work schedule.
Cons
healthcare costs and leadership.
Global Player
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 19, 2015
Projects receive support ENR top 50 rated construction manager, specializing in complex projects with a diverse base of clients and designers. Excellent employee benefits, process driven and highly organized for success.
Pros
management leads industry in emerging trends, speactacular building projects, broad range of projects
Cons
project term employment unless willing to travel
Started Out Great....
Estimator (Former Employee) –  DetroitSeptember 22, 2014
Walbridge started out as a great company to work for. They had great benefits and made you feel very wanted and needed. The benefits took a complete nose-dive and work became a daily nightmare. The workplace is incredibly stressful. The highest of management acts like they feel the economic hurt like the average employee but they'll get rid of you in a second if the amount they bring in dips at all. You'll never know if you'll have a job in a week, or a month or at the end of the project. If you're not a favorite then you'll probably eventually get canned. Seen it a million times with low level and higher level employees. Nepotism is rampant. If you manage to keep your job you'll watch all the other favorites get promoted ahead of you even if you work your head off. A motto they have upstairs at Walbridge is "if you aren't willing to work 50-60 hours a week then we don't need you" but don't expect to get paid for more than 40. I brought work home with me and put in 70-80 hour weeks so many times that I couldn't count but only got overtime for like 2 hours once.
Pros
good experience, lunch and learns - continuing education
Cons
lots of backstabbers, benefits took a complete dive although they try to mask it like its a good thing but its really not, crazy amounts of nepotism, very unequal pay scales amongst employees
Great place to work, extensive travel.
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 21, 2014
Great place to work, extensive travel. Lots of opportunity to prove knowledge and ability.
professional work place
Assistant project manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 3, 2014
Great company to work for, professional work place, good benefits, good health care and 401k
Pros
great training program
indepth knowledge attainment of Co-Gen plant mechanics
Foreman- Crew foreman (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 30, 2014
Gave me the opportunity to demonstrate my abilities as a leader and a formitable supervisor.
Pros
union scale/ overtime
Cons
some middle management weren't professionals
Great place
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Campbell KYJuly 21, 2014
Great company to work for. The contract I was on was not going to last forever. I needed something more stable.
nice place to work
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  LAMay 21, 2014
working well with other trades as well as other workers fro walbridge,the hardest part was the end of the shift at 2:30 am but I got thur it , hope to work with them again
Pros
free dinners and gifts from the saftey meetings
Cons
working in the rain at the carpenters shop, and getting flooded out, standing in water.
Outstanding Company
Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 12, 2014
Premier manufacturing and industrial general contractor
Gereat company
Site Safety Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 6, 2013
Great benefits, they take good care of their employees. I traveled a lot although the money was good and it helped a lot.
This is one of the most enjoyable jobs I've had.
Iron Worker (Former Employee) –  Burney, CAJuly 31, 2013
Driving to the wind farm which was at the top of the mountains and putting together the Necelles on the windmills. The management and co-workers from all over the United States were great. Everyone got along, and the most enjoyable part of the job was getting up and seeing Mt Shasta. Also the pay was great. There was nothing hard about this job, it was my favorite of all jobs working as an Iron Worker.
Leading AE Firm
Construction Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OhioJune 10, 2013
Great company culture. Served food, glass and petrochemical industries. No longer in business.
Good learning experience and knowledge gain
COST ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 19, 2013
Overall, Walbridge has been a good learning experience. It's not some place I see myself long term due to various reasons but I'm very grateful for everything I have learned while I have been with the company.
Cons
below the average compensation and poor benefit package.
Construction job Site
Construction Supervisor Intern (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 12, 2012
I worked as an assistant to the project foreman and project engineer. I learned a lot about the construction industry, especially about safety, and really enjoyed working closely with the project team.
Pros
consistent workflow until the job is finished
Good Company, Bad People
Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 19, 2012
The company itself is a great place, lots of friendly faces who honestly care - the problem lies in the bad apples. There are several employs that with backstab whoever they need just to look a little bit better. Good management, bad employes.
Pros
free sporting event tickets, great pay and benifits
Top knotch in their field, extremely knowledgable
Accounting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 12, 2012
My day would typically involve handling phone calls and reviewins incoming invoices. I would usually take two to three hours each day doing that. Entering payables into the system would usually take another two hours. After that would involve completing daily check runs and distributing vendor checks. What struck me from day one was the vast store of knowlege my managers had in the field of construction. They were pretty much a living encyclopedia of the industry. There was very little that they hadn't seen. I was also impressed with the devotion management had with the City of Detroit and the people of Michigan. My co-workers were all very friendly and supportive. They were top knotch in every way. Obviously the job involved filing and phone calls. There were also last minute emergencies that had to be handled. As anyone in accounts payable can attest, it was sometimes difficult to find check signers late in the day. Somehow things always worked out. The stresses were offset by the friendliness that I encountered on a daily basis. I got to know so many of the people there on a first name basis. For a company that size that was impressive. I still keep in contact with them.