Walden Behavioral Care Employee Reviews in United States

Awful Direction/Management, HR, Work/Life Balance & Overall Inconsistent
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAFebruary 25, 2016
I am currently a mental health counselor at the residential facility in Waltham, MA.

While I can't speak for the other Walden clinics across MA and CT, the residential facility is truly abysmal. The insanely high turnover rate should give you just a clue of how bad it really is.

Where to begin? The flaky director changes policies about every other week during staff meetings when she is actually around. Nobody is on the same page about anything because the rules are constantly changing which is obviously frustrating to the patients. I feel bad for them. We are also constantly understaffed which leads to counselors being "mandated" to stay and work double shifts with barely any notice. This leads to overworked, under appreciated counselors who aren't going to be able to provide their best care to the patients. The work/life balance is terrible in that sense. We also aren't allowed to have the weekends off of our choosing unless we are able to cover it far in advance.

I already touched on the issues with the director, who is sometimes there, sometimes not. As it was, this past week there was zero administration. The director was on vacation, the assistant director was out and the other manager just left one day. So we had basically no one to answer to in case of daily questions or an emergency.

Which brings me to the unhelpful HR "team" which is in an entirely different building down the street comprised of about two or three people. I honestly have no idea what they do since they are also never around, have never come to a single staff meeting or intervened on any
  more... of the numerous issues listed above. They're supposed to be recruiting people but when they actually do hire people they leave anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months later, so I'm not sure what their screening process is.

The only positives about this company are the pay and benefits, though most of us need to pick up a second job just to get by. And we are almost never allowed to use our vacation or holidays due to BS overtime rules for how we get paid, which has also never been explained to me since these rules seem to be constantly changing as well.

Lastly, while the clinicians, nurses and medical team seem to spend half of their time taking care of the patients, they spend the rest of their time complaining about anything and everything, usually in common areas where everyone can hear. It's no secret most people are unhappy with the director and overall management, so why hasn't this ever been addressed or changed? I truly cannot wait to get out and work for a real company.
Pros
Free food, pay, benefits
Cons
human reosurces, vacation time, short staffing, inconsistency, direction/management
overall experience
Director of Patient Financial Services (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAFebruary 23, 2016
I enjoyed working at Walden Behavioral Care. It is a fast growing company. There were a lot of challenges which I enjoyed being involved with.
Led by a dynamic leader
Chief Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 2, 2015
Quite possibly one of the best places to work for the leadership, work culture and futuristic vision.

Came on board to direct in a quasi-consultancy role to help implement an Electronic Medical Record application.

Nearing completion of the task and reluctantly looking to move on.
Pros
leadership
Cons
having to leave
Fantastic Place to Work!
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAOctober 8, 2014
My experience working at Walden Behavioral Care has been beyond enjoyable.

The clinical, executive, and administrative staff all showcase a level of professionalism and kindness unparalleled to any in the industry.

The Northampton team displays extensive knowledge for the care, treatment, and diagnosis of eating disorders and is enthusiastic about educating the surrounding community.

Not only was my tenure here rewarding professionally, but it also allowed for an immense amount of personal growth. I will truly miss working for this company.
Pros
all of the above
Cons
i can’t think of anything..i love this job!
Great Entry Level Position for Those Interested in Psychology or Social Work
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAOctober 2, 2014
Great Entry Level Position for Those Interested in Psychology or Social Work.
unprofessional and unsanitary workplace
nurse (Current Employee) –  hospital units eating disorder and mental illnessSeptember 17, 2013
Poor management, no organization, unfriendly human resource dept, unprof nursing and mental health staff. Poor patient care, substandard care and many times ran out of medical supplies so We had to reuse medical supplies Which is completely unprofessional and unsanitary; GROSS, DIRTY AND DISGUSTING!
Ifelt bad for the patients and myself and other people that worked there.
Also they hired nursing staff that had no clue, no experience and new grads and not givng them good orientation causing unsafe staffing and environment.
Pros
zero pros... the gatorade and snacks on eating disorder unit
Cons
always hiring, unwelcoming feeling, awkward unhappy place to work.
Poorly managed
Charge Nurse / Staff Floor Nurse (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 21, 2013
Poorly managed. Has a high turn around rate. The quality is not what it used to be.
Excellent Internship Site for Expressive Therapy Students
Clinical Internship (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAJanuary 22, 2013
My time at Walden Behavioral Care has been extremely enjoyable and fulfilling. I have already addressed many of the goals I have set out to fill and am only half way through my internship experience. This program and what I have learned here will be implemental for my future clinical work.
Pros
excellent supervision, a healthy work environment, acceptance of the expressive arts
Cons
limitations of inpatient settings
Great staff, varried clinical PHP and individual experience
Clinical Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MANovember 20, 2012
Wonderful and supportive staff, working as part of a team. I appreciated the collaboration and communication with staff. Worked in PHP and IOP programs for Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Disorder and Eating Disorders NOS, as well as individual work.The hardest part was probably the building it was in at the time in the basement level with not a lot of light. I most enjoyed learning about eating disorders since I knew nothing about them when I started, and being able to work with people who has varying diagnoses.
A Mental Health facility with a focus on psychiatric/eating disorders,.....and Profit.
Mental Health Counselor (MHC) (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 5, 2012
My experience at Walden Behavioral Care lasted for three and a half years. The knowledge I gained there with respect to psychiatric abnormalities was invaluable. As a Mental Health Counselor (MHC), it was my duty to ensure patient safety and offer what little counseling my BS in PSYCH degree would allow. Tides were ever changing at this establishment as administrator's were replaced with new ones whose goal was to maximize profit while sacrificing staff safety, private time, and vacations. Staff morale was either at an all time low, or barely functioning. Patient safety was stressed in meetings but the administration frequently neglected to provide extra staffing in order to avoid paying overtime, or employing outside agency help because the price was just to high. This left the psychiatric unit unsafe due to insufficient staffing. Employee's were often reminded of "the budget" and to make the best of what little resources were available. A number of MHC's and Nurses came and went as they became overworked and, disapproving of the way in which they were treated as 'work horses', they either opted to resign or were fired. The highlights, however, were the Social Worker's who ensured aftercare to the best of their ability for the clients. These were a group I will always view fondly at Walden Behavioral Care.