Walden University Employee Reviews in United States

Great and Productive Work Environment
Admissions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 2, 2016
A typical day consists of reviewing applicant's file's for admission into Walden University's Undergraduate program. I've learned countless processes and procedures and developed a great work ethic. I learned how to be more productive in group settings and how to appreciate the hard work in a team setting. My co-workers are all great and easy to work with and always willing to work through any issues any of us might have. The hardest part of my job is the ever changing requirements of our admissions department. Being able to organize email's that introduce changes in requirements is essential in keeping up with those changes. The most enjoyable part of my day is admitting a student and know that I played a small part in helping them achieve their academic goals.
Pros
Flexibility, Co-Workers, Management
Cons
Salary
Great Organization!
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 14, 2015
Working for Walden University has been a great experience. I have had the opportunity to learned from some of the best people in the education industry. Similar to many institutions Walden University is always implementing change. However, these ongoing changes have help me grow as an educator and advisor.
Pros
Team environment, on-the-job training, great benefits, etc.
Cons
n/a
Stay Away!
Program Director (Former Employee) –  RemoteMarch 30, 2016
This university cares a lot about the people who are paying to go there, but nothing about the people who they are paying to work there. Upper level management, Deans, AD's, VP's are clueless and will do whatever they have to in order to meet the bottom line. Not a great place to work unless you can guarantee you'll be left alone by the higher ups. Avoid this garbage can for a university at all costs!
Pros
Very good pay compared to other universities
Cons
upper level management and job security are horrible.
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 21, 2016
Walden is a great place to work unless you get a few specific managers who make it hard to do your job. After 6 months you can request an internal transfer to a new manager and it's usually granted. Once you get on the team that you mesh with everyone is super supportive.
The work is cyclical depending on the school/program calendar. Term starts are busy and can get stressful. Some students have difficulty differentiating academic advising from customer service, but most managers are supportive of advisors setting clear boundaries that students need to be professional.
Pros
Great location, subsidized parking downtown, adequate benefits
Cons
Excessive phone advising, not having students face-to-face
From bad to worse
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 11, 2016
From what I hear the company and school I once worked for has just become a mill for getting people in the programs and pushing them through. It is not what I worked with but when I was there the focus was on sustaining double digit growth and that course has long since poisoned the well. Its a shadow of what it formerly was and what it could have been.
Pros
Good pay, good people, good benefits.
Cons
Management has run the place into the ground.
Old Boys Club Mentality
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  MarylandFebruary 5, 2015
Good benefits. Poverty level salary. Same salary for staff with bachelors or masters. Workload and expectations vary greatly by department and role. Brilliant coworkers who are appreciated if they are willing to kiss management butt and be best friends or come early, stay late, and take work home daily. Workload similar to a law firm without the promotion or perks. There is no work/life balance since staff are not expected to have lives outside of work. God forbid if you have to leave for a family emergency. Management policies are inconsistent, depend on manager and staff member relationship. Few written policies. Because I said so mentality. If it's logical, expect the opposite.
Pros
benefits, awesome coworkers, relative job stability
Cons
untrained management, coworker sabotage, hostile environment, no advancement, low morale
Work with students from all over the world
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  onlineJuly 18, 2016
Walden University is like working with your family. All the faculty and the contributing faculty work together well and are willing to share best practices.with each other. The entire administration, staff, and faculty put students first. They are very caring and want students to succeed. Students know this after the first term.
Pros
Work on your own time
Professor
Professor of Early Reading and Literacy (Current Employee) –  telecommuteJune 21, 2016
Teach graduate level courses in the Early Reading and Literacy program and also the core courses like research and the general courses of the degree program
Pros
The people I work with and telecommuting.
Cons
Fewer courses available currently
Great people, products, and service! Highly Recommended
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 17, 2014
Leading international network of accredited campus-based and online universities spanning multiple continents and countries. Serving 500,000 students worldwide, Walden is under the umbrella of Laureate Education, Inc. providing post secondary education on a global scale.

Busy days with various activities associated with enrolling students and tracking their success. Most interesting aspect was consulting and counseling with individual candidates on personal goals and career objectives while discussing a variety of degree programs to advance their career path.
Pros
excellent benefits and flexible work hours
Cons
phone work could be repititious
Great Place to Work
Senior Enrollment Advisor/ Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 19, 2016
I enjoyed working at Walden University, the culture was great and the employees there made going to work everyday enjoyable. Also the salary was great and it was Monday-Friday!
Online teaching, new online tools are helpful
Contributing Faculty (Current Employee) –  MNMay 13, 2015
Work experience is satisfactory. There are certain Walden teaching protocols which are strictly adhered by faculties. It keeps the faculty and student productive. Online learning platform is accessed every day. Online dissertation tool MyDR is very helpful and interactive. It keeps track of all activities and documents in central repository, love it!
Pros
time flexibility
Cons
poor compensation
Ethical, well run University
Senior Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2016
Provides a challenging program with a great reputation. Few Institutions left that truly are concerned about students success rather than just profits.
High pace and chalenging
Enrollment Advisor, Ph.D Program (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 7, 2013
The days were 9 hour days that required enrollment of prospects in the educational programs. It is a high pace and constantly changing atmosphere. It was most rewarding helping students acquire their goals and dreams. It required intense dialogue with prospects to find what their true goals and objectives were. Enrolling a person is fine, but helping assist with their dream is even better. I worked mostly with educators and found they needed a higher level of guidance when choosing the right nice. The masters programs required less, however speaking to true academicians was a true pleasure.
Pros
very good benefits
Cons
management was under extreme pressure.
Tense work environment, management always changing
Project Manager (former employee) (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, mdJanuary 26, 2013
The company still operates as a small organization even though it is very large. Management cannot get their act together to take the organization in one focused direction for a consistent amount of time and feel the way to solve a problem is to hire more high level managers while laying off the "worker bees." There is also very poor communication from the top down.

The parent company, laureate, is notorious in the industry for underpaying staff and not promoting employee advancement. While the health benefits are good, there is no actual human resources support. In my years there, there was never a person in HR I could go to for support or grievances. They are essentially set up to "hire and fire."

I know a lot if people within walden who felt extremely under appreciated. By the time I left, I would classify walden as having a toxic work environment for employees. I don't recommend working there if you want to develop a career and feel appreciated.
Pros
good health benefits
Cons
poor work environment, compensation
Overall a good place to work.
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 29, 2015
I am on the phone talking to current and prospective students all day. I help current students get prepared for their upcoming start dates by helping them learn how to navigate their student portal, get them connected to all the Universities resources, complete their orientation and ensure their financial aid is completed and ready for funding.

I help our prospective students by learning about their personal and professional goals, what they've been doing in the past and what they see for their future. By carefully listening to where the prospect wants to go in the future I can align them with the program that will best fit their needs and be most efficient in helping them achieve their long-term and future goals.

Overall we have a decent management team. Our upper management is very detached from the Advisors and what our roll encompasses consequently often making decisions that impede our ability to our job as efficiently as possible. I find this very frustrating. Our mid management team are puppets, they will do what their told even if they know it's not going to be a productive change or be an enhancement to what we do. Having said all that I do believe the management team strives to make our working environment as healthy and productive as possible giving us a good work life balance, which is something I greatly appreciate.

I am surrounded by a great team of people that work together to achieve our overall goals in spite of the obstacles often presented by circumstances beyond our control.

The most challenging part of my job is the lack of communication between
  more... departments often resulting in a less than desirable experience for the student.

The best part of what I do is my students, seeing them successfully complete their graduate program and hearing how impactful the experience has been for them. Seeing how they use their education to impact others and their communities.
Pros
Great benefits, healthcare, tuition reduction, good hours
Cons
lack of compensation, lack of local opportunity for advancement
Most euphoric job environment
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 30, 2012
Called prospective student for the school if Psychology.
Walk them through the admissions process. Convert leads to students. Ready them for first day of classes.
I was passionate about working with the students.
Always met or exceeded my quota.
Great managers and VP of Enrollment
Excellent benefits, including a $28000 pay increase after finishing my first year in the top 5 admission representatives.
Great corporate culture
Located in Baltimore
Pros
enjoyed the job, people, benefits
Cons
commute to baltimore
A typical day at work would be described as focused. We electronically manage documents and have to pay particular close attention to details.
Engagement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 25, 2015
It's a global company that allows students to get a virtual education from anywhere in the world. We focus on helping students make a difference in the world they revolve in.
Pros
Not too far from home with covered parking. (Essential in the Arizona summers.)
Cons
Not much opportunity for advancement within my department.
Overall a good job
Registration and Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 3, 2012
The position requires a lot of multitasking and being able to be stressed in many directions. The compensation for the position isnt what it should be. I liked my coworkers and team. The management should know more information, there are team members who know more than the managers.
Pros
the team/coworkers
Cons
time put in isnt compentsated back
Leader in Higher Education
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 14, 2012
With federal deregulation came limitations on salary increases and bonuses, so this was why gave 3 stars on compensation. The health benefits and 401K is good. The position in question is repetitive but stable so far.
Pros
secure, predictable, reputable
Cons
advancement, redundancy, salary stagnancy
fun experience
Student and Clinical Researcher (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 16, 2015
great place to work! I enjoy a lot, I have been in Walden for almost two years and just did my second residency. Also I did my social change in veterans in Puerto Rico , have great professors, supervisors