Walgreens

9.8K reviews

Walgreens Employee Reviews

Found 9,762 reviews matching the search
Slave driver
Senior Nationally Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Sapulpa, OKFebruary 13, 2016
They cut hours to bare minimum so you don't feel safe working and selling rx's Hardest part of my job is becoming so attached to people then they end up passing before too long
Fast paced workplace with quality employees
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 12, 2016
A typical day at Walgreen's Pharmacy is very fast paced, filling around 400+ prescriptions per day. All the staff is very caring and supportive, but some days there will be grumpy customers.
A good place to work
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZFebruary 12, 2016
Walgreens is good company to work for. They have good benefits and room for advancement. I learned a lot while working there and loved the people I worked with. You have to be willing to go above and beyond and work hard if you want to work here. There is a lot of lifting because you stock a lot, managers did too. Be ready to sweat as the workload is often heavy. There is always something to do, so you don't get bored. I would have to say the worst part about working at Walgreens is the fact that you have to work holidays which are mandatory, and your schedule can vary ALOT. You work a lot of weekends and the 10+ day stretches of working are a lot to handle if you have children. I would get scheduled for one week, Tues-Sat, and on the next schedule get Sun-Thurs and opening and closing would fluctuate often during that time. It was crazy and I was always told "This is retail, get used to it." The other bad thing was the turnarounds. I was often scheduled to close the store, and then scheduled to open the next day. Sometimes we would only get a couple hrs. of sleep before having to be right back in, and this happened several times in a two week work period. There is often a lot of overtime offered cause the staff turnover is so high. The pay was on the lower end of the scale for most jobs in retail. Overall, its a great job, but if you have a family, they can make it hard on you when scheduling.
Pros
Benefits, Advancement, Great Co-Workers, Always something to do
Cons
10+ day stretches of work, turnaround (closing then opening), working holidays, high staff turnover
Horrible Institution
Cashier; Floater; (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARFebruary 12, 2016
VERY little to no job advancement. Management is extremely inconsistent. Delegation is horrible. Communication between ANY employee is lacking or non existent. Hours are inconsistent and management won't work with you on it.
Pros
15% discount;
Cons
Lack of management;
Productive and fun place to work depending on management team
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Fl.February 12, 2016
walgreens is a great place o work. Coworkers and especially the customers make for a great work experience. Management is usually great but they change all the time and not always for the best for the workers.
Pros
there is a 15% discount for employees on most items, and a 25% discount on all items made by Walgreens.
Assistant manager Shift leader
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLFebruary 12, 2016
I would do 10 hour days providing customers with much needed support .I was in charge of 8 staff members intake vendor orders all cash nightly deposits and proof of closing general ledger before deadlines. I had written employee reviews as well as well as hiring and firing of staff.
Pros
discounts
Multinational mania
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Gaylord, MIFebruary 11, 2016
These folks have the most hypocrital corporate culture in the business. They talk a big customer service game then cut hours to the bone. There is a constant stream of blame flowing to the employees for failure to live up to Walgreens 'High Ideals'. A persistent hostile work environment exists toward all and emotional blackmail is rampant. Micro tasks are torrentially squeezed in with the admonition to 'do this in your spare time' Floor staff is often recruited to work as pharmacy techs without compensating them as such.
Need I say more?? This is the stinkiest skunk of the lot. Now that they are a grand multinational and have aquired Rite Aid, there is little to stop them. Feel free to watch for Whistle Blower opportunities!
Fast paced with a balance between customer service and cost analysis
Senior Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Kannapolis, NCFebruary 11, 2016
In my typical day at work I will do everything from helping an elderly person with their recommended OTC medication to analyzing and ordering up to $300,000 dollars worth of medication. I also deal with insurance companies, hospitals, doctors offices and other pharmacies regularly. I enjoy the interaction with our customers and the fact that this job is never the same from one day to the next.

After only a year in my pharmacy I have taken on the responsibilities as the lead technician by creating the monthly schedule of my coworkers, handling the ordering and receiving of all medications, and dealing with 3rd party issues such as chargebacks and adjudication issues.
Walgreen's live happy stay healthy
Held Shift Lead Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63109February 11, 2016
My typical day is going in the store with a smile. I always set out a plan for myself to prioritize my day. My store manager always has a list that he would like done. Its my job to see to it that as much work is done as possible. Customers come first of course so every depends on how busy we are. I give out my expectations to all my employees I am in charge of for the day. My employees work on these as they can. I help customers with any possible need throughout the day. Sometimes balancing out my time can be difficult. I go home with a smile knowing I have given the day 110 percent.
Pros
Helping custoomers with there needs of the day.
Cons
I am on my feet all day and sometimes don't get a break at all.
Fun able to interact with others
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 11, 2016
I would arrive to work check the store make sure everything was neat. I would put out the trash then do my walk through the store and start my day with greeting the customers. I learned how to interact with others assist customers with what they needed. Direct them to the correct aisle. My supervisors were understanding and always willing to help. My co-workers were very friendly and helpful. the hardest part of the job was to watch who was stealing in the store. the most enjoyable part of the job was greeting customers and making them feel welcome along with directing them with the correct aisle.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
short breaks and standing all day.

Want to know more about Walgreens?

Ask a question
Overnight staff pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, NEFebruary 11, 2016
Walgreens employs a solid team of well trained individuals at each pharmacy location. Walgreens provides a professional environment with a focus on customer service and customer satisfaction.
Understaffed, they do not take pride in their hard workers.
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 10, 2016
I want to work in a pharmacy where I may develop relationships with my patients. I want to be able to devote time to helping my patients with insurance issues, understanding insurances, understanding medication and medication reactions and have an over all loyal and devoted customer relationship. At Walgreen's this is not attainable. I take pride in my job and I work very fast and very efficiently, because I am such a hard worker and take such pride in my job Walgreen's expects more from me. They expect me to do the job of 5 technicians for the same pay. They do not care about their customer's overall well being no matter how much they promote it. At the pharmacy I work at currently we are understaffed and over worked. We have new hires that are not given the proper training therefore we have high turn over rates and we are constantly having to hire new employees because it is such a harsh environment to work in. I love a fast pace work field, I have to be busy all the time but what I'm expected to do at my Walgreen's pharmacy as a technician is stressful and completely unethical. (not all Walgreen's pharmacies are this way, however the multiple ones I have worked at do operate this way.)
Enjoyable Summer Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PAFebruary 10, 2016
I worked as a sales associate to earn some extra money in the summer. Work was standard for the position. I would help customers and stock shelves on a normal day. I would also run the cash register and manage inventory resets once a week. Fun atmosphere as long as you did what you were told. Overall it was a good experience
fast growing company
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILFebruary 10, 2016
very busy and secure company, great benefits, convenient locations
accepts many insurance plans, great hours,
great computer programs
Pros
many locations to choose from
Cons
short breaks
Fun but can be very stressful with the wrong team
Sr Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Magnolia, TXFebruary 9, 2016
Worked for Walgreens for over 11 years. It had its moments where I wanted to walk away but 11 years tells you something. I started with no pharmacy experience as a Service Clerk up front, was moved to pharmacy within a month because I asked. Trained for certification. Test and Walgreens classes paid for. Don't think this is typical anymore though. Promoted to Sr Tech about 13 months after certification. Worked in 3 24 hour stores and opened up 2 other stores. Overall, I loved it even though at times I hated it. Customers can be tough but most of the time I had a good team to help deal with the stress. Left for less stress (hospital pharmacy). Over a decade of being yelled at by customers and told I was incompetent wore me down. Not really Walgreens fault. I admit I actually do miss it.
Pros
Discount, close knit employees
Cons
Understaffed, sometimes too close employess
nice place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE WALGREENS PHARMACY (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTFebruary 9, 2016
worked here as a teen lots of people i worked with years ago are now in better positions such as managers friendly people no benefits
Fun
Pharmacy Technician; Photo Specialist (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 9, 2016
Not enough money to survive, but i enjoyed the day to day tasks. they were repetitive, but kept me busy. little to no room to explore new opportunities.
just say no
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 9, 2016
You are basically an overpaid stocker. Being called management is laughable. My store manager would throw tantrums like a child. she even kicked the door in to the register. Ha Ha. Best thing I ever did was find another position.

The most enjoyable part of my day is when I got to go home.
Pros
you got to see your grown boss act like a child
Cons
everything
Positive workplace
Customer Service/Stock (Former Employee) –  Hockessin, DEFebruary 9, 2016
Great hours , positive staff and managment, not so great policys. training was horrible and not overseen by a manager, and i had to be trained twice because the first person trained me wrong. otherwise it is a great place to work.
always up beat environment fun place to work .
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 9, 2016
A day filled with customer service .
cash register signing up customers for rewards cards
universal reloads on pay pal cards loading money on re loadable cards for customers multi tasking answering telephones and checking out customers at the register during busy holiday season hours.