Walgreens Employee Reviews

Found 13,375 reviews matching the search
Working in Deerfield under Jeff K
Leadership (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILOctober 25, 2016
I work at Walgreens in Deerfield, I was very excited to get the job. Once I got here I was faced with the most racist environment ever, then there was supposed to be this great worklife balance that was nonexistent. You work literally sun up to sun down. The VP Jeff, stated he did not believe in work from home however, he praised his wife saying he could not do what he does if it wasn't for his spouse. We thought she was a stay home mom, we quickly found out she worked for Walgreens. The best part is that whole work from home he didn't believe in. Well guess what his wife worked from home. If you are non-white, trust me steer clear of this company and this executive.
Pros
Pays very well
Cons
No work life balance, uneducated managers, bully mentallity, turn over rate is unmeasurable
Overall a decent company
Customer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 31, 2016
The work/life balance is not bad, however the disorganized, random scheduling of managers can be very frustrating at times. There are also some managers that are not detail oriented and do other things other than work while they are there, but there is a counter balance of excellent employees that I have the pleasure of working with every day. The benefits are superb! I just started using one of the health packages and I am looking into upgrading to one of the other packages that Walgreens offers. The culture there is pretty laid back, but the employees work very hard. As for the scheduling and work/life balancing issues, having alternating schedules every month would definitely be a better way of doing things rather than changing them every week.
Pros
Employees, benefits, work/life balance
Cons
Management, Scheduling
All or nothing
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MONovember 28, 2016
The best thing about working at Walgreens was the opportunities you had. If you worked hard and took responsibilty, you could go far in the company. I got promoted every year just by doing what was expected and taking ownership. That is also the downfall. Most of the employees working at Walgreens are just there to get a paycheck. They don't care. Consequently a lot of responsibility falls on management and the few employees that do care. Work/life balance was terrible. As an assistant manager I was working sometimes up to 60 hours a week, closing and then opening. I had no personal life. Pay was ok, benefits were better. Generally if the company cared as much about their employees as they did their customers it would be a great place to work. But they don't. They will put a customer before an employee anyday which is why turnover is so high.
Was good until new management
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILOctober 13, 2016
I really enjoyed this job at first. It was very laid back yet productive, the amount of work was fair for the amount I was getting paid. However, when new management came in it just became very corporate like, my boss was making changes left and right, I got double the amount of work for the exact same pay, when I asked for a raise he would just laugh and make a comment such as "try uber" or "get a side job as a bartender" which is highly unprofessional. My coworkers were amazing and we all got along great however we were limited on how we could interact with each other due to my boss not wanting us to be normal human beings and instead wanted us to just be robots and have nothing but work on our minds.
Pros
Long lunch, good insurance
Cons
A lot of work for little pay, very corporate
Walgreens could be a place for advancement but that depends solely on the store manager. It is mostly task oriented.
Photo Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 8, 2016
I found it very hard to advance in Walgreens. The better the employee the more likely you will become stagnant. Your advancement depends on your store manager. If you have a store manager that is a mentor (rare) you can advance quickly. Although, the majority of management care about how successful the store is. If you are a good worker they will want you to stay in the same position to keep the store successful. You may have a store manager that as long as you dont steal or come in late will completely ignore you. They hate to replace people. The customer service has changed and is not very good any more. It is hard to be terminated from Walgreens. So you can be a mediocre employee forever. However, Walgreens has excellent benefits. That is the best part of working there.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Advancement depends solely on the store manager
Good place to work to gain relationships with your community
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOOctober 19, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Walgreens because I got to know people in my community and was able to help them in every way I could to make their life easier and better. My co-workers was awesome to work with and got to know many new people by working there for 10 years. Advancement in the company was a huge down fall for me because I inquired about it several times with management and nothing ever came of it and I did the job of someone with a higher title than me every day but I didn't get paid for it the whole time I work there. Plus, I proved my skills and ability to management consistently.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
advancement in company
Great benefits, low income.
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, INSeptember 7, 2016
Walgreens is a good job for starting out, but it caps out fast and its hard to earn enough money to live on a Walgreens budget for more than a few years. They ask for a lot, but pay very little, and they do not compensate for extra skills like learning the photo lab or other equipment. Everyone makes the base amount and you will go up very slowly every year only if you do well on your performance review. No in between positions anymore, they have a cover all "customer service associate" position and the next jump is "shift lead" which is like a pseudo-management position (quite a big leap) and then the next jump is "assistant manager." It's hard to get a raise, but its a secure job in a steady and safe environment. Good benefits, discounts, and healthcare. Friendly team members and heavy customer focus.
Pros
Good environment, great coworkers, good benenfits
Cons
Low pay, not much room for growth
There are a lot of Really Good Pharmacists and Technicians
Pharmacist Floater (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CASeptember 26, 2016
Unfortunately they don't allow them to provide the customer service they are capable of, because of their staffing guidelines. It is not the employees fault, but the employers fault.The company does not appreciate experience in the profession either, unless it was achieved in their company.Most companies reward experience and compensate accordingly.The Pharmacy industry is a very customer service intensive industry, Walgreens could be great if they provided the staff to achieve the goal.They have some Great Pharmacists and Technicians but they aren't allowed to shine because they are always under the pressure of not having enough staff to accomplish all of the tasks at hand.
Pros
They have Good Benefits available
Cons
They don't provide job security
good amosphere horrible pay
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Homosassa, FLSeptember 18, 2016
working for walgreens as a pharmacy technician has been a great experience for the most part.. however when you raise the starting wage for a cashier to be about as much as a basic pharmacy technician it is not fair.. the pharmacy is the driving force of your business walgreens... you would think that you would also give your technicians who have to uphold a professional reputation in the medical field as well as a medical responsibility to your patients, community, doctors, etc where any mistake could potentially end someones life..you would THINK that we would get a raise also.. not cool walgreens, not cool. THIS is why i am looking for a new position be it another chain, independent, or hospital setting.
Good place for students to work.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxford, PASeptember 21, 2016
Being a Walgreens manager used to be a very rewarding position. In the last five years I have seen the integrity and care of employees take a huge dip. They have made consistent decreases in all of employee benefits. Taking budgeting hours away from both pharmacy and front end, forcing Pharmacist and salary management to work with no lunch breaks in order to keep up with customer demand and meet corporate goals. Lowering profit sharing match and decreasing affordable health care options. The best part of working as a Walgreens Manager is being a team leader. Getting to know my team, showing my appreciation for their hard work as they learn and grow.
Pros
Leading my team.
Cons
To many to list.
productive, fun, fast paced
Beauty Advisor/promoted to Senior Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYAugust 13, 2016
I started out as cashier. Advanced to beauty advisor in the beauty department. I worked hard and developed some personal relationships with everyday customers. The customers specifically came to me to advise them which products would best suit their needs. I then was advanced to senior beauty advisor. I was head of the beauty department. I was learning new product weekly, dispalying new products and tagging new products. To me there was not a hard part of the job. I enjoyed doing what I did at Walgreens. Management and co workers were always friendly and helpful.
Pros
raises, advancement, positive work environment
Cons
Quick pace and productive work place
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Oglethorpe, GAAugust 26, 2016
My work day involves many different task each day. These task can be long and lengthy but I have to accomplish them along with completing other task. There are always new task to learn. My workplace is fun with awesome staff including management who go out of their way to help when needed. The best skill this job has taught me is time management. I am constantly working on different task while having to perform them in a timely manner. The most important part of my job is our customers. Most of them know the staff by name. However, the most challenging part is the fact that there are not enough hours for all the technicians so I am not able to work my full 40 hours needed.
Pros
Great benefits and wonderful co-workers
Cons
not enough hours for scheduling
Motto is always do more with less
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJuly 25, 2016
I spent 12 years at Walgreens. It wasn't bad in the beginning but became progressively worse as time passed. Tech hours were the first to be affected, then the pharmacists. Management had no problem treating us as dispensable items. Absolutely no respect for the pharmacists. Added more clinical duties without more tech help. You often left work feeling drained with nothing more to give to your family when home. Lesson to management, happy employees generate good business via providing good customer service because the employees feel valued. Treat all employees with respect and you will see.
Pros
salary
Cons
breaks? what breaks? Disrespectful management, poor work/life balance
Excellent workplace environment
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CASeptember 10, 2016
A typical day at work consists of helping customers. I learned how to engage with people from all walks of life. I realized that everyone has their own problems, and that we each require a different type of attention. My management was excellent and I have zero complaints about any of my former bosses. My co-workers were very helpful and interestingly enough we all got along very well. The hardest part of the job was dealing with homeless/shoplifters because I worked into late hours, and at times things got a little scary. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with many people.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
healthcare and salary.
The best company I have ever worked for,my manager was a very fair person.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 28, 2016
The benefits were impeccable and the management was successful in making everyone feel needed and appreciated. I learned more about being a technician there than I did my whole six months of school. The staff was unbearable truthfully,way more focused on their own personal goals than the patients at times. I learned how to correctly read Doctors handwriting and to mix solutions among a host of other skills.
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
senior techs that sit years into a position so it is hard to advance
A company of decaying values
Head Photo Specialist/dept. head (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 6, 2016
Walgreens is a company of decaying values. What was once an employee friendly environment has now become hash and unforgiving. Employees are overloaded with work to the point that some tasks cannot be completed, only to be punished for prioritizing. Management refuses to address the real problems, instead blaming the employees.

The store I worked for had a revolving door when it came to employment, firing as many as a person a week at the time I left. This destroyed morale, and filled the spots vacated with poorly trained replacements.

Additionally the schedule was made so far in advance that if there was an emergency, or something came up you could not change it. Death in the family or family emergency? You should have planned that three weeks before.

Definitely not a place I would recommend working unless you are desperate.
Pros
401k, employee discount
Cons
bad work environment, short lunches, poor management, uncaring atmosphere, scapegoating
Worst management ever
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARSeptember 13, 2016
In the beginning I loved working for walgreens. After a few months of giving my blood sweat and tears, the store manager started treating me like the red headed step child. It happened after I called the anonymous tip line regarding some of the behaviors of associates and management. After that some things got better and some things got worse. The store manager stayed in lazy mode and only ever got involved when there were write ups to be handed out. Sure he helped on truck day occasionally, but only when he was bored of sitting in the office playing on his personal cell phone.
Pros
Insurance benefits are ok
Cons
The store manager thought he was God
Engaging workplace
Photo Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethany, OKNovember 15, 2016
Walgreens is a workplace that cares greatly about its customers and it's work culture. It makes bold claims to appreciate it's employees and has pages open to employee suggestions, but they are seldom followed. While the benefits Walgreens offers are excellent, the wages offered, as well as raises, are not competitive.

The workplace is a low stress environment, and is filled with cooperative managers and employees.
Pros
Good healthcare benefits and low stress environment
Cons
Low wages and lack of advancement opportunities
Terrible company!!! Dangerous to work here as a pharmacist, overworked
Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 29, 2016
Never be a pharmacist here!!!! We are overworked, work 12 hour shifts with no lunch or break. I feel stressed and miserable on 90 percent of my shifts. Management is more focused on cutting hours and squeezing every bit of life out of pharmacists than patient care. I've seen so many mistakes because of how overworked both techs and pharmacists are. Eventually there's going to be a lawsuit and Walgreens will wake up. Taking vacation is a joke. Also they require you to spend days doing required training for them and WILL NOT pay you for it.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
No lunches, little tech help, not a great salary, overworked
Fast shift from a 5 Star to a 1 Star
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2016
In the past few years, Walgreens has shifted from an employer that cares about their employees to a money hungry monster. I used to be extremely loyal, now I can't wait to leave. Hiding behind the mask of Extroadinary Customer Care, getting performance based raises is near impossible for lower level employees due to the strict competencies put in place. Lower store level supervisors are over-worked and under paid. As an assistant store manager, I am responsible for our entire front end, including sales, budget, hiring, training, etc. and yet I get paid less than my pharmacy technicians. When minimum raise increased to $10 hourly in California, brand new employees were getting paid the same amount that older employees who had been with the company for a few years were getting, in a word, unfair. Walgreens has tons of money to buy Rite Aid but insists on saving money by cutting benefits and payroll across the company. I would no longer recommend this company as a suitable place to work for anyone.
Pros
GOOD employees provide great service
Cons
Not competitive pay/benefits, micromanagement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walgreens. Our community is ready to answer.