Walgreens Employee Reviews

Found 13,397 reviews matching the search
Overall a decent company
Customer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 31, 2016
The work/life balance is not bad, however the disorganized, random scheduling of managers can be very frustrating at times. There are also some managers that are not detail oriented and do other things other than work while they are there, but there is a counter balance of excellent employees that I have the pleasure of working with every day. The benefits are superb! I just started using one of the health packages and I am looking into upgrading to one of the other packages that Walgreens offers. The culture there is pretty laid back, but the employees work very hard. As for the scheduling and work/life balancing issues, having alternating schedules every month would definitely be a better way of doing things rather than changing them every week.
Pros
Employees, benefits, work/life balance
Cons
Management, Scheduling
Working in Deerfield under Jeff K
Leadership (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILOctober 25, 2016
I work at Walgreens in Deerfield, I was very excited to get the job. Once I got here I was faced with the most racist environment ever, then there was supposed to be this great worklife balance that was nonexistent. You work literally sun up to sun down. The VP Jeff, stated he did not believe in work from home however, he praised his wife saying he could not do what he does if it wasn't for his spouse. We thought she was a stay home mom, we quickly found out she worked for Walgreens. The best part is that whole work from home he didn't believe in. Well guess what his wife worked from home. If you are non-white, trust me steer clear of this company and this executive.
Pros
Pays very well
Cons
No work life balance, uneducated managers, bully mentallity, turn over rate is unmeasurable
All or nothing
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MONovember 28, 2016
The best thing about working at Walgreens was the opportunities you had. If you worked hard and took responsibilty, you could go far in the company. I got promoted every year just by doing what was expected and taking ownership. That is also the downfall. Most of the employees working at Walgreens are just there to get a paycheck. They don't care. Consequently a lot of responsibility falls on management and the few employees that do care. Work/life balance was terrible. As an assistant manager I was working sometimes up to 60 hours a week, closing and then opening. I had no personal life. Pay was ok, benefits were better. Generally if the company cared as much about their employees as they did their customers it would be a great place to work. But they don't. They will put a customer before an employee anyday which is why turnover is so high.
Was good until new management
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILOctober 13, 2016
I really enjoyed this job at first. It was very laid back yet productive, the amount of work was fair for the amount I was getting paid. However, when new management came in it just became very corporate like, my boss was making changes left and right, I got double the amount of work for the exact same pay, when I asked for a raise he would just laugh and make a comment such as "try uber" or "get a side job as a bartender" which is highly unprofessional. My coworkers were amazing and we all got along great however we were limited on how we could interact with each other due to my boss not wanting us to be normal human beings and instead wanted us to just be robots and have nothing but work on our minds.
Pros
Long lunch, good insurance
Cons
A lot of work for little pay, very corporate
Good place to work to gain relationships with your community
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOOctober 19, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Walgreens because I got to know people in my community and was able to help them in every way I could to make their life easier and better. My co-workers was awesome to work with and got to know many new people by working there for 10 years. Advancement in the company was a huge down fall for me because I inquired about it several times with management and nothing ever came of it and I did the job of someone with a higher title than me every day but I didn't get paid for it the whole time I work there. Plus, I proved my skills and ability to management consistently.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
advancement in company
Walgreens could be a place for advancement but that depends solely on the store manager. It is mostly task oriented.
Photo Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 8, 2016
I found it very hard to advance in Walgreens. The better the employee the more likely you will become stagnant. Your advancement depends on your store manager. If you have a store manager that is a mentor (rare) you can advance quickly. Although, the majority of management care about how successful the store is. If you are a good worker they will want you to stay in the same position to keep the store successful. You may have a store manager that as long as you dont steal or come in late will completely ignore you. They hate to replace people. The customer service has changed and is not very good any more. It is hard to be terminated from Walgreens. So you can be a mediocre employee forever. However, Walgreens has excellent benefits. That is the best part of working there.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Advancement depends solely on the store manager
Great benefits, low income.
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, INSeptember 7, 2016
Walgreens is a good job for starting out, but it caps out fast and its hard to earn enough money to live on a Walgreens budget for more than a few years. They ask for a lot, but pay very little, and they do not compensate for extra skills like learning the photo lab or other equipment. Everyone makes the base amount and you will go up very slowly every year only if you do well on your performance review. No in between positions anymore, they have a cover all "customer service associate" position and the next jump is "shift lead" which is like a pseudo-management position (quite a big leap) and then the next jump is "assistant manager." It's hard to get a raise, but its a secure job in a steady and safe environment. Good benefits, discounts, and healthcare. Friendly team members and heavy customer focus.
Pros
Good environment, great coworkers, good benenfits
Cons
Low pay, not much room for growth
Fast shift from a 5 Star to a 1 Star
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2016
In the past few years, Walgreens has shifted from an employer that cares about their employees to a money hungry monster. I used to be extremely loyal, now I can't wait to leave. Hiding behind the mask of Extroadinary Customer Care, getting performance based raises is near impossible for lower level employees due to the strict competencies put in place. Lower store level supervisors are over-worked and under paid. As an assistant store manager, I am responsible for our entire front end, including sales, budget, hiring, training, etc. and yet I get paid less than my pharmacy technicians. When minimum raise increased to $10 hourly in California, brand new employees were getting paid the same amount that older employees who had been with the company for a few years were getting, in a word, unfair. Walgreens has tons of money to buy Rite Aid but insists on saving money by cutting benefits and payroll across the company. I would no longer recommend this company as a suitable place to work for anyone.
Pros
GOOD employees provide great service
Cons
Not competitive pay/benefits, micromanagement
Focused on change
OPT (Former Employee) –  ColroadoNovember 1, 2016
Too many position eliminations and too focused on hiring external candidates to support the culture that built this great company. Change is needed, but change here is happening just to happen. I will miss my coworkers the most, but the benefits, job, lack of career paths, lack of management accountability are all things I am happy to leave behind. This company could do great with their money and power or they could destroy what Walgreens was.
The best company I have ever worked for,my manager was a very fair person.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 28, 2016
The benefits were impeccable and the management was successful in making everyone feel needed and appreciated. I learned more about being a technician there than I did my whole six months of school. The staff was unbearable truthfully,way more focused on their own personal goals than the patients at times. I learned how to correctly read Doctors handwriting and to mix solutions among a host of other skills.
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
senior techs that sit years into a position so it is hard to advance
productive, fun, fast paced
Beauty Advisor/promoted to Senior Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYAugust 13, 2016
I started out as cashier. Advanced to beauty advisor in the beauty department. I worked hard and developed some personal relationships with everyday customers. The customers specifically came to me to advise them which products would best suit their needs. I then was advanced to senior beauty advisor. I was head of the beauty department. I was learning new product weekly, dispalying new products and tagging new products. To me there was not a hard part of the job. I enjoyed doing what I did at Walgreens. Management and co workers were always friendly and helpful.
Pros
raises, advancement, positive work environment
Engaging workplace
Photo Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethany, OKNovember 15, 2016
Walgreens is a workplace that cares greatly about its customers and it's work culture. It makes bold claims to appreciate it's employees and has pages open to employee suggestions, but they are seldom followed. While the benefits Walgreens offers are excellent, the wages offered, as well as raises, are not competitive.

The workplace is a low stress environment, and is filled with cooperative managers and employees.
Pros
Good healthcare benefits and low stress environment
Cons
Low wages and lack of advancement opportunities
walgreens review
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Anderson, SCJune 21, 2016
a fun place to work for,great work and compensation.job security was excellent.management had some great people who would bend over backwards to help u out.the job culture was great,especially giving jobs to people with special needs and treating them with the same respect.the people were great and the pay was great.a solid company to work for.i worked for them for 8 years,but my true passion was being in the commercial kitchen.
Pros
great pay, great people, excellent benefits, weekends off
Cons
short breaks, long hours 10-12 per day, hard work to the point u feel your body about to break
Motto is always do more with less
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJuly 25, 2016
I spent 12 years at Walgreens. It wasn't bad in the beginning but became progressively worse as time passed. Tech hours were the first to be affected, then the pharmacists. Management had no problem treating us as dispensable items. Absolutely no respect for the pharmacists. Added more clinical duties without more tech help. You often left work feeling drained with nothing more to give to your family when home. Lesson to management, happy employees generate good business via providing good customer service because the employees feel valued. Treat all employees with respect and you will see.
Pros
salary
Cons
breaks? what breaks? Disrespectful management, poor work/life balance
It's a great first job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Munster, INDecember 3, 2016
Apply online and then do a in store application and assessment and a drug test. Walgreens where i work recently raised its minimum wage to $9.00 an hour. If you have any management complaints go directly to HR and save your time. Front of store is busy but easy, photo is busy and moderately difficult, and cosmetics is slow and easy. holidays and work parties and fundraisers help you enjoy work more. You are allowed a more flexible schedule with a job like this with so many employees
Not a good career choice
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Covington, LANovember 20, 2016
Liked how this job worked with my home life but the cost of that was ridiculous. Management was unreachable. Direct supervisor was moody, addicted to prescription medication and plotted to make comment(s) to upper management which led to my unemployment. This job is only for people who need a paycheck, not worth the hassle and definitely would not recommend this job for people who work hard and expect it to get them somewhere.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Poor management, no communication
Stable and reliable company
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 26, 2016
Walgreens is a great company to work for if you want a stable reliable company to work for. Since the recession Walgreens many companies have crashed and burn. Walgreens has gotten stronger. They way that they do this is by under paying and cutting benefits for the hard working crews at the store level. With them doing so it has seriously damaged the job culture. The new CEO seems to be trying to changes this and hopefully it will succeed.
Pros
40 hour work weeks and as much ot as you want in the winter
Cons
no time for breaks and upper management in stores have no structure.
disappointing place to work
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 6, 2016
I worked for walgreens for more than 18 years as a pharmacy technician.Tthere were many changes, most of them not good ideas.The company is very focused on profit at the expense of employee well-being. The co-workers I had were fine people. All but one of the store managers I worked with was fair and decent. Pay is not good and raises are very small.The hardest part of the job is adjusting to the decreased hours every summer. Apparently they think you should stop eating for 3 months.Also, upper management asks for your opinion, but they don't want to hear it.The most enjoyable part was meeting and getting to know the customers.I was at the same store all those 18 years. I was fired over something trivial because the manager wanted someone hired who was younger and cheaper. Work there if you must, but don't plan staying for very long.
Pros
company isn't going out of business soon
Cons
In the winter, sometimes lunch breaks aren't possible, much less morning and afternoon breaks.
Walgreens Summary
Certified Photo Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pearland, TXOctober 19, 2016
Great work environment, job advancement available along with proper credentials, Having great customer service, along with effective listening skills will help translate messages to management and other team members. Everyday at Walgreens was an enjoyable. Having to have accurate counts on certain products was the most challenging, but definitely not the hardest part of the job,
Pros
Great Management and Job Culture
Cons
NA
Walgreens Open door policy, diversity, and ability to communicate effectively makes the company an amazing place to work.
Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 7, 2016
A typical day at work for me is rewarding, as well as educational. My compassion for my patients, and my passion for my job, has never felt like work.
Pros
Cultural diversity, flexibility, and a trusting relationship with my peers and management team, are qualities that l build on in order to maintain a solid and trusting relationship.
Cons
Turnover, raises, employee diversity, upper level management involvement, HMO's not accepted.