Walgreens Employee Reviews

Found 14,343 reviews matching the search
Excellent management/comfortable environment
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJanuary 27, 2017
Walgreens was, in every way, a delightful place to work at. The store was clean, the management was productive, and orderly. The culture of Walgreens is to ensure that its consumers live a healthy, and a well-structured life, in both health and in practical areas of life. The typical day at work, included interacting with, and helping customers find products for better health and awareness. The best part of the job was blowing up the balloons to promote the store's sales and promotions. The hardest part of the job was the issue of understanding disabilities of deafness, and incapability of performance, due to deafness and cerebral palsy.
Pros
Free benefits/special accomodations
Cons
inability to provide better solutions to incapability of performance
Overall a decent company
Customer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 31, 2016
The work/life balance is not bad, however the disorganized, random scheduling of managers can be very frustrating at times. There are also some managers that are not detail oriented and do other things other than work while they are there, but there is a counter balance of excellent employees that I have the pleasure of working with every day. The benefits are superb! I just started using one of the health packages and I am looking into upgrading to one of the other packages that Walgreens offers. The culture there is pretty laid back, but the employees work very hard. As for the scheduling and work/life balancing issues, having alternating schedules every month would definitely be a better way of doing things rather than changing them every week.
Pros
Employees, benefits, work/life balance
Cons
Management, Scheduling
Working in Deerfield under Jeff K
Leadership (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILOctober 25, 2016
I work at Walgreens in Deerfield, I was very excited to get the job. Once I got here I was faced with the most racist environment ever, then there was supposed to be this great worklife balance that was nonexistent. You work literally sun up to sun down. The VP Jeff, stated he did not believe in work from home however, he praised his wife saying he could not do what he does if it wasn't for his spouse. We thought she was a stay home mom, we quickly found out she worked for Walgreens. The best part is that whole work from home he didn't believe in. Well guess what his wife worked from home. If you are non-white, trust me steer clear of this company and this executive.
Pros
Pays very well
Cons
No work life balance, uneducated managers, bully mentallity, turn over rate is unmeasurable
Walgreens: Strong, yet flawed
Certified Photo Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 11, 2017
One of the biggest strengths of the company for me, personally, is the strength of scheduling during my college career. This was a reason why I stayed with the company so long. Very reasonable scheduling for students. Over the years the job culture, however, has suffered and not to go into so much detail, it is up to the upper management to provide an example and competence for helping the rest of us work to the best of our abilities. Based on past issues such as culture, poor management of available hours, and terrible aspects to the position known as the SFL it is easy for me to see that this isn't the company it was in 2009 and three large reasons as to why I am ready to move on and seek much better cultural and fiscal opportunity.
The business has changed too much
SIMS Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNJanuary 27, 2017
There was a time when Walgreen's was all about making sure their employees were taken care of. Advancement was always an opportunity and there was always a chance to grow and expand.

Even though the company was still taking in massive profits and posting record sales, they continued to take away from the employees, starting first with benefits, then with vacation time, and finally with job earnings.

And once they locked employee pay at a maximum but no longer provided a chance for advancement, they took away from any desire to stay with the company any longer.
Pros
15% discount on all products, 20% off all 'W' products
Cons
Benefits, pay, time off, scheduling, corporate management, district management
All or nothing
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MONovember 28, 2016
The best thing about working at Walgreens was the opportunities you had. If you worked hard and took responsibilty, you could go far in the company. I got promoted every year just by doing what was expected and taking ownership. That is also the downfall. Most of the employees working at Walgreens are just there to get a paycheck. They don't care. Consequently a lot of responsibility falls on management and the few employees that do care. Work/life balance was terrible. As an assistant manager I was working sometimes up to 60 hours a week, closing and then opening. I had no personal life. Pay was ok, benefits were better. Generally if the company cared as much about their employees as they did their customers it would be a great place to work. But they don't. They will put a customer before an employee anyday which is why turnover is so high.
Overall good company to work for
Lead Senior (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILDecember 29, 2016
Walgreens has changed dramatically since I began working there 10 years ago. Overall, the benefits are really great but the company is constantly going through change which can be extremely stressful. They have been in a constant reorganization since 2009 which is great for some, but there has been a lot of job loss as a result. I enjoy the constant challenges that come along with the change, but the management thrives on favoritism. The corporate politics can be defeating. There is a lot of opportunity for growth for some, but it is easy to get lost in an organization of this size.
Pros
Awesome amount of vacatgion time
Cons
Extreme corporate politics
Positive Environment for Management and Leadership Growth.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, OHFebruary 2, 2017
Walgreens is a company that is continuously changing their culture in order to better serve their employees. Walgreens has made great advancements within the last few years that has lead to wonderful opportunities to those in management to be able to build their staff with greater ownership and empowerment.
Pros
Great Growth Environment
Cons
The work life balance is a challenge, but it is entirely up to your training and time-management abilities.
Great Company to work for.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 1, 2017
Walgreens is a great company to work for. If you value continued opportunity for development and learning, Walgreens offers continuous resources and the experience to enable growth and develop relationships. However, based on the organizational structural development and the nature of the competitive industry, there has been little opportunity to advance since the rewiring for growth following the 2008 recession.
There are outstanding benefits if leveraged strategically to supplement an unimpressive salary.
Pros
People, experience
Cons
Advancement
Walgreens could be a place for advancement but that depends solely on the store manager. It is mostly task oriented.
Photo Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 8, 2016
I found it very hard to advance in Walgreens. The better the employee the more likely you will become stagnant. Your advancement depends on your store manager. If you have a store manager that is a mentor (rare) you can advance quickly. Although, the majority of management care about how successful the store is. If you are a good worker they will want you to stay in the same position to keep the store successful. You may have a store manager that as long as you dont steal or come in late will completely ignore you. They hate to replace people. The customer service has changed and is not very good any more. It is hard to be terminated from Walgreens. So you can be a mediocre employee forever. However, Walgreens has excellent benefits. That is the best part of working there.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Advancement depends solely on the store manager
Productive workplace and the customers are fairly respectable
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Northport, ALJanuary 19, 2017
I enjoyed working at Walgreen's. For the most part the employees work well together. We knew how work and have fun. We wanted to be there to assist customers with a big smile on our face. Even though its a lot of work to do on truck day you can still manage to get it all done.

The only huge problem were the lack of communication between the management team which fell to poor communication with the associates.
Poor raises; no matter how long you've been working there.
Pros
Good employees, great atmosphere
Cons
NO FLEXIBLE part-time hours
Good place to work to gain relationships with your community
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOOctober 19, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Walgreens because I got to know people in my community and was able to help them in every way I could to make their life easier and better. My co-workers was awesome to work with and got to know many new people by working there for 10 years. Advancement in the company was a huge down fall for me because I inquired about it several times with management and nothing ever came of it and I did the job of someone with a higher title than me every day but I didn't get paid for it the whole time I work there. Plus, I proved my skills and ability to management consistently.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
advancement in company
Was good until new management
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILOctober 13, 2016
I really enjoyed this job at first. It was very laid back yet productive, the amount of work was fair for the amount I was getting paid. However, when new management came in it just became very corporate like, my boss was making changes left and right, I got double the amount of work for the exact same pay, when I asked for a raise he would just laugh and make a comment such as "try uber" or "get a side job as a bartender" which is highly unprofessional. My coworkers were amazing and we all got along great however we were limited on how we could interact with each other due to my boss not wanting us to be normal human beings and instead wanted us to just be robots and have nothing but work on our minds.
Pros
Long lunch, good insurance
Cons
A lot of work for little pay, very corporate
Family friendly
Sales Associate/Photo Technician/Pharmacy Data (Former Employee) –  Pacifica, CAJanuary 14, 2017
The people you meet at this company is widely diverse. And though the hours are long and depending on area the pay is somewhat low for the workload you are often given. The benefits are decent but advancement is slow. Management can turn hectic in that your manager may get sent to different stores or swapped. And the job does not really leave room for a social life if you already have a routine time card older than a month.
Pros
Cheap groceries
Cons
Double work load for indefinite period of time
The best company I have ever worked for,my manager was a very fair person.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 28, 2016
The benefits were impeccable and the management was successful in making everyone feel needed and appreciated. I learned more about being a technician there than I did my whole six months of school. The staff was unbearable truthfully,way more focused on their own personal goals than the patients at times. I learned how to correctly read Doctors handwriting and to mix solutions among a host of other skills.
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
senior techs that sit years into a position so it is hard to advance
Engaging workplace
Photo Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethany, OKNovember 15, 2016
Walgreens is a workplace that cares greatly about its customers and it's work culture. It makes bold claims to appreciate it's employees and has pages open to employee suggestions, but they are seldom followed. While the benefits Walgreens offers are excellent, the wages offered, as well as raises, are not competitive.

The workplace is a low stress environment, and is filled with cooperative managers and employees.
Pros
Good healthcare benefits and low stress environment
Cons
Low wages and lack of advancement opportunities
Focused on change
OPT (Former Employee) –  ColroadoNovember 1, 2016
Too many position eliminations and too focused on hiring external candidates to support the culture that built this great company. Change is needed, but change here is happening just to happen. I will miss my coworkers the most, but the benefits, job, lack of career paths, lack of management accountability are all things I am happy to leave behind. This company could do great with their money and power or they could destroy what Walgreens was.
It's a great first job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Munster, INDecember 3, 2016
Apply online and then do a in store application and assessment and a drug test. Walgreens where i work recently raised its minimum wage to $9.00 an hour. If you have any management complaints go directly to HR and save your time. Front of store is busy but easy, photo is busy and moderately difficult, and cosmetics is slow and easy. holidays and work parties and fundraisers help you enjoy work more. You are allowed a more flexible schedule with a job like this with so many employees
Great benefits, low income.
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, INSeptember 7, 2016
Walgreens is a good job for starting out, but it caps out fast and its hard to earn enough money to live on a Walgreens budget for more than a few years. They ask for a lot, but pay very little, and they do not compensate for extra skills like learning the photo lab or other equipment. Everyone makes the base amount and you will go up very slowly every year only if you do well on your performance review. No in between positions anymore, they have a cover all "customer service associate" position and the next jump is "shift lead" which is like a pseudo-management position (quite a big leap) and then the next jump is "assistant manager." It's hard to get a raise, but its a secure job in a steady and safe environment. Good benefits, discounts, and healthcare. Friendly team members and heavy customer focus.
Pros
Good environment, great coworkers, good benenfits
Cons
Low pay, not much room for growth
Productive and friendly work environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJanuary 26, 2017
Short and sweet:
- A typical *night* would be to coordinate with your supervisor and coworkers of what goals to be accomplished by the start of the new day.
- I learned many skills working at this store such as phone management, team coordination, and inventory management.
- The management is very friendly and willing to help.
- The workplace culture would be your typical work environment with added diversity.
- The hardest part of the job was nonexistent. The manager on site is always willing to give a lending hand and I would typically tackle most problems.
- The most enjoyable part of the job would be the coworkers. They bring light to most situations and are always willing to help in a time of need.
Pros
Long breaks, Extra pay for overnight position
Cons
Night shifts drain you and ruin your natural sleep schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walgreens. Our community is ready to answer.