Walgreens Employee Reviews

Found 12,868 reviews matching the search
Poor place to be employed
Senior Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MSMarch 14, 2016
Walgreens doesn't pay its employees as much as other pharmacies around, while also cutting hours to a bare minimum working crew. It is expected to get certain tasks done that require more people for time and safety wise with less than adequate amounts of employees. Employees are consistently teased with the prospect of company wide raises and opportunities for bonuses but then no information disseminates and ultimately no raises or bonuses. Management organization for the pharmacy portion, the structure is constantly being changed with less emphasis on patient safety but speed and not accuracy which becomes dangerous for the patient.
Pros
It's a job?
Cons
disorganization of company, fruitless promises of benefits, overwork employees
Walgreens Review
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 27, 2016
A typical day at work was always challenging and there was always new things to learn. I learned how to suggestive sell and rotate stock, as well as markdowns and promotional adds. Management was definitely a struggle to get along with. There was little to no communication and very little team work between them all. The hardest part of my job was most likely trying to make the cosmetics sales goal of the day even if it was slow that day. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and helping my customers walk out with a smile as well as the family orientated atmosphere between me and a few co-workers.
Pros
moderate advancement, okay benifits, the flexible hours
Cons
Management lacked teamwork, as well as patience and communication
Bad Job
Photo tech (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 21, 2016
Pros
Not many. If you want to learn you have great opportunities to learn, I started in photo, now I know stock, management, pharmacy, cashier. Just don't expect to get paid more because of that. Besides that you can meet some great people.

Cons
Low pay vs Workload given (I will do management work and pharmacy which some managers can't do and still no raise) No work life balance (The hours I work are terrible) Low raises (expect 5-20 cents a year) Terrible management (I have two managers in my store who don't know photo and I'm the one not ready) No overtime
stuck doing the same thing
Dispensing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 30, 2016
I enjoyed the people I worked with and the training I received. I guess 12/hr (certified) is good starting out, but good luck getting a raise or even acknowledging you for working hard. They only care about how fast you work.

-good training
-different stations but nonetheless same menial tasks
-you may listen to music while working
-management doesn't bother you unless you are doing terrible
High volume work expectations
Shift Lead Manager (Current Employee) –  Natick, MAMarch 12, 2016
I am grateful for the opportunities Walgreens has presented me. I am a manager and have grown immensely because of my day to day work life. A typical day involves much cash handling, customer service to our guests, prioritizing tasks, and working efficiently on stocking merchandise. We must meet daily goals of inventory percentage, out of stock percentage, customer delight scores, and sales. I have learned to lead my staff respectively and efficiently. The hardest part of the job is being able to accomplish projects all while assisting customers and employees with whatever they may need, whenever they need it. Being able to multi-task efficiently is crucial. Also, being able to lead your staff and having mutual respect is key to accomplishing these projects as well. This job has allowed me to master those skills. The most enjoyable part of this job is coming in everyday and seeing my co-workers and balancing a friendship and professional relationship.
Pros
Ample opportunity to grow within the company, I acquired managment experience, Offer great benefir accounts and progams
Cons
Work/life can be tough to achieve. Very high expectations for the non-competitive salary
Good over all company
High Sales Environment (Current Employee) –  Independence, OHMarch 1, 2016
My shifts range by department. I start with a company purchased smock and pink shirt (cosmetics), but add self purchased comfortable uniform, (tan pants, comfy shoes for walking and standing for 8 to 10 hours).

I will either work the front register(cash handling, product resets, light stocking), or work more with customers in Cosmetics and assist with marketing plans, inventory, stocking, creating new customer relationships, giving my product knowledge and expertise and cash handling.

Extra work involves cleaning, adding new products, keeping training courses up to date, consistently moving stock and keeping shelves full, Participating in sales events.
Pros
Mostly positive environment, decent management team, fairly flexable hours. Opportunities for advancement if you want management. Health benifits.
Cons
Open all year and on all major holidays in which you are required to work, corporate holds considerable control over several personal aspects of the job, must wear the same type of uniform everyday, in instances where your kids/elderly family need to be able to get a hold of you, they have have difficulty with allowing cell phones on the floor.
Run away from this company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 19, 2016
This is the worst company to work for period. Their new labor model is to work you dead then replace you. The pay is not that great and they continue to cut pay by renaming job titles and taking away benefits. There are constant programs, directives and projects forced upon you at a pace that cannot be managed effectively. Labor budget gets cut more and more. You begin to see managers around you and around the region slowly lose it before being fired. They make sure there is always a reason to get rid of anyone. If you are not working at least 60 hours a week you are bullied and asked if you even want to move up in the company. Advancement depends much more on physical appearance rather then skill which is apparent pretty quickly. People are leaving in droves for a reason, Don't be the next victim.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything.
Great co-workers and excellent benefits
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXFebruary 19, 2016
This company is one that does value their workers which is hard to find nowadays. They provide great benefits and ample amount of training available to allow you to become very experienced and well versed in whatever position you have with them.
Pros
Great management team, good patient care guidelines, great benefits/pay.
Cons
Minimal amount of full time hours, no advancement opportunities for certain positions.
Lackluster Position but Love the Company
Assistant Store Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 23, 2016
Walgreens is a wonderful company. My job is lackluster but requires very much from me. I do monotonous work daily, and half of my days are spent wondering around the store looking for things to do. The hours are okay, but I do not agree with making employees work on major family holidays. Management sometimes struggles with disciplining poor behavior.
With that all being said, I think the company takes very good care of their employees. Top management hears from those at the bottom, and the benefits and pay are worth it. I enjoy my customers and spending time with my co-workers.
I just, unfortunately, aspire to do and be so much more than what Walgreens can provide to me.
Pros
benefits, building relationships
Cons
short lunches, upper management
Strong retail chain that is a shell of its former self
Community Leader (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILMarch 12, 2016
Walgreens is a company that struggled to live up to its own vision. It had grand ideas to reshape healthcare in the retail sector, and I applaud it for its vision. The issue came down to the communication between the executive leadership and field leadership. Very little support from the executive leadership led to very little follow-through for the field leadership. Bottom-line: Field leadership and teams had completely no say in company policy or culture or initiatives. Outside of the individual stores, the company was not a unified whole, but an "us versus them." Very unfortunate.
Fun place to work with great staff (locations vary greatly)
Photo Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wellington, FLApril 5, 2016
My time at Walgreens in my hometown was very rewarding. I was given great raises every few months when I earned it with my effort and my co-workers were very understanding with my life in that I could take off when I wanted and could work certain hours certain weeks, being a full time student this was much appreciated. I loved my manager, he helped me learn and grow in the store and was sad when I moved away. When I worked for a different Walgreens near my University things could not have been different. I quit walgreens in a month when I found another job. That manager did not handle his employees the same as my hometown store did. He had mostly students working so scheduling us all was a mess and he was not as flexible with everyone's hours, he depended on the part timers to come in and hold the fort but then didn't try to allow time off for testing weeks. Also this Walgreens was dirtier and the employees were lazier, it reflected on how the management handled the store in my opinion. Working for big companies like this is probably all the same, it depends on the area/management crew. Walgreens has good benefits even for part time employees and has 401K and stock options.
Pros
Great staff, good with scheduling, offers some benefits even to part timers.
Cons
Mostly standing, busy times of the year you may have to work over schedule.
Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 19, 2016
The hardest part of the job in the beginning was learning all the specialty drugs and I have acquired a great bit of knowledge from this company which I will take with me into my future endeavors. The co-workers were amazing and I couldn't have worked with a better group of people. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the Synagis baby's and knowing that what I did everyday made a difference in someone's life. I am actually sad to be leaving the company but I have to find a company that has room for me to grow. I feel that there is no advancement opportunity and I am not challenged enough in my current role based on my past experiences.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Small raises
normal drugstore/ convenient store
Customer service associate all shifts (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 15, 2016
The typical day would be ringing up customers and to put up freight. I have learned about retail experiences. Management was okay could have cared a little more about the employees. My co- workers all for self. The hardest part of the job was getting a raise. The most enjoyable part was meeting new customers and different people.
Pros
customers
Cons
short brakes, low wage pay for too much work
It was very stressful
Photo Specialist and Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSFebruary 24, 2016
At work, I was able to start working as a Service Clerk which basically just meant ringing people up. It was very boring and not fulfilling. I tried my best to enjoy it and I would try and make every person smile. I learned a lot more about how the customer is always right and how I needed to have a good attitude always. Even as a photo specialist, I was always dealing with new customers. Management was pretty good, but they liked to work you more than you wanted to be worked. It took me a very long time to learn what my job was at Walgreens because they didn't really train me well. They expected me to just know what they were talking about which was the hardest part of the job. My co-workers didn't work hard, but I would work anyways. It just didn't feel good to me to not do my job. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to a customer who felt like telling you about themselves that day.
Pros
Getting breaks every day
Cons
Not understanding the job
A great job to have while in high school
Photo Specialist/Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stockbridge, GAFebruary 15, 2016
Overall, Walgreens was a decent place to work at during high school, as opposed to a fast food restaurant. The pay was decent; however, it was unbalanced for someone whom worked at the company for years that was making the same as someone that was just newly hired. Being surrounded by great people made the days go by faster and definitely gave me some good skills in customer service.
Pros
Surrounded by nice co-workers, a great place to learn the basics of customer service
Cons
Short-handed, unable to take alotted 15 minute breaks, managers that are micro-managers, doing extra work that you're not responsible for without any compensation; unbalanced pay scale
Few opportunities for make-overs
Senior Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Colonia, NJFebruary 24, 2016
Typical day would be Monday inventory, Friday shipment, days in-between customer service/replenishment,cashier,phones,every other saturday we had events to promote push products. I ran them and my responsibility was the goal for that day's event, As well as daily goals for me and the advisors,
Management at the time was stellar
I worked very well with the staff, they were goal oriented and we were a great team.
The only job challenge was the compensation .
What I enjoyed most was the great team which lead to a energetic atmosphere.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Low wage for all that was required.
Provide excellent customer service.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NVFebruary 20, 2016
Some days can be very fast pace and other day very slow. As part of management I learned how to handle employees, get them motivated to complete take at hand. Learn pharmacy procedures as well at store procedures. Hardest part of the job was handling customer complaints. But the more I got them I realized that they just want to be heard. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the co-works and customers you get to meet! Often its the little things that count, and knowing that you just help a customer solve any problem they had brings great satisfaction.
Pros
good 401k package
Cons
Short breaks, open 365 day of the year
good direct management
Shift Supervisor/Head Photo Technician (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYMarch 11, 2016
although the company is going through changes with hr the direct staff and management i dealt with were awesome. raises are pretty horrible but if you are looking for a place to advance this is a good company for that
Pros
promote within, lenient staff
Cons
bad medical
Like every other customer service job, you're only as good as your team.
Beauty Advisor, Photo Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 5, 2016
It all depends on your location. Some locations are great to work at and some are not so great. It relies heavily on your management and coworkers. If you have a good team, the job is tolerable and the benefits are decent. If your team sucks, you will hate your life. Also, Walgreens has recently been firing their employees that have been there the longest so that they can hire ones who will start at a much lower rate, so keep that in mind--- they are quick to remind you how disposable you are.
A Great Choice When Entering the Work Force
Manager/Head Photo Specialist/Photo Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 5, 2016
My experience is that it was challenging, not overbearing. It has its ups and downs just like any job. But management works with you and trains you on every type of work related to the company. And that means advancement opportunities.
Pros
Its an easy job to learn
Cons
It might not be what you've been searching for in a longer time view.