Walgreens Employee Reviews

Found 14,354 reviews matching the search
Excellent management/comfortable environment
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJanuary 27, 2017
Walgreens was, in every way, a delightful place to work at. The store was clean, the management was productive, and orderly. The culture of Walgreens is to ensure that its consumers live a healthy, and a well-structured life, in both health and in practical areas of life. The typical day at work, included interacting with, and helping customers find products for better health and awareness. The best part of the job was blowing up the balloons to promote the store's sales and promotions. The hardest part of the job was the issue of understanding disabilities of deafness, and incapability of performance, due to deafness and cerebral palsy.
Pros
Free benefits/special accomodations
Cons
inability to provide better solutions to incapability of performance
The business has changed too much
SIMS Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNJanuary 27, 2017
There was a time when Walgreen's was all about making sure their employees were taken care of. Advancement was always an opportunity and there was always a chance to grow and expand.

Even though the company was still taking in massive profits and posting record sales, they continued to take away from the employees, starting first with benefits, then with vacation time, and finally with job earnings.

And once they locked employee pay at a maximum but no longer provided a chance for advancement, they took away from any desire to stay with the company any longer.
Pros
15% discount on all products, 20% off all 'W' products
Cons
Benefits, pay, time off, scheduling, corporate management, district management
All or nothing
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MONovember 28, 2016
The best thing about working at Walgreens was the opportunities you had. If you worked hard and took responsibilty, you could go far in the company. I got promoted every year just by doing what was expected and taking ownership. That is also the downfall. Most of the employees working at Walgreens are just there to get a paycheck. They don't care. Consequently a lot of responsibility falls on management and the few employees that do care. Work/life balance was terrible. As an assistant manager I was working sometimes up to 60 hours a week, closing and then opening. I had no personal life. Pay was ok, benefits were better. Generally if the company cared as much about their employees as they did their customers it would be a great place to work. But they don't. They will put a customer before an employee anyday which is why turnover is so high.
Overall a decent company
Customer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 31, 2016
The work/life balance is not bad, however the disorganized, random scheduling of managers can be very frustrating at times. There are also some managers that are not detail oriented and do other things other than work while they are there, but there is a counter balance of excellent employees that I have the pleasure of working with every day. The benefits are superb! I just started using one of the health packages and I am looking into upgrading to one of the other packages that Walgreens offers. The culture there is pretty laid back, but the employees work very hard. As for the scheduling and work/life balancing issues, having alternating schedules every month would definitely be a better way of doing things rather than changing them every week.
Pros
Employees, benefits, work/life balance
Cons
Management, Scheduling
Working in Deerfield under Jeff K
Leadership (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILOctober 25, 2016
I work at Walgreens in Deerfield, I was very excited to get the job. Once I got here I was faced with the most racist environment ever, then there was supposed to be this great worklife balance that was nonexistent. You work literally sun up to sun down. The VP Jeff, stated he did not believe in work from home however, he praised his wife saying he could not do what he does if it wasn't for his spouse. We thought she was a stay home mom, we quickly found out she worked for Walgreens. The best part is that whole work from home he didn't believe in. Well guess what his wife worked from home. If you are non-white, trust me steer clear of this company and this executive.
Pros
Pays very well
Cons
No work life balance, uneducated managers, bully mentallity, turn over rate is unmeasurable
Hectic Hours
Assistant Manager & Registered Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLJanuary 6, 2017
Ours vary. NO set schedule. Any day of the week Sunday through Saturday. Opening to closing varies. Lots of turn arounds. If you close you will be opening the next day. Closing can be as late as midnight and opening will be as early at 7am. Pay is not what you deserve. Lots of hard work. No room to grow anymore. Benefits are great. Health insurance. 401k is the best, $3 matching for profit sharing. PTO time accumulated is better then other places. Hours constantly being cut so managers have to do it all. Front cash register, pharmacy, cosmetics, photo...you name it.
Pros
401K, Health Benefits, Profit Sharing
Cons
No lunch breaks, long hours, turn around shifts, work weekends
Overall good company to work for
Lead Senior (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILDecember 29, 2016
Walgreens has changed dramatically since I began working there 10 years ago. Overall, the benefits are really great but the company is constantly going through change which can be extremely stressful. They have been in a constant reorganization since 2009 which is great for some, but there has been a lot of job loss as a result. I enjoy the constant challenges that come along with the change, but the management thrives on favoritism. The corporate politics can be defeating. There is a lot of opportunity for growth for some, but it is easy to get lost in an organization of this size.
Pros
Awesome amount of vacatgion time
Cons
Extreme corporate politics
It is what you make of it
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Gallatin, TNDecember 11, 2016
I've been with Walgreens for almost three years now. Management is management. Some are good, others are terrible. Team members come and go and usually you have an entirely new staff at least every other year, excluding the few who never leave. My typical day as a shift lead includes doing daily duties (smart counts, price changes, mark downs, 1506) and anything else that's on the list. Usually your district manager stops in once a week to see how things are going, etc. The store I work at has such a busy pharmacy that many days upper management (store manager and sometimes assistant manager as well) will spend half their day back there because we simply need the help. Again, it is what you make of it.
Pros
Ability to advance within the company, super lax rules
Cons
Benefits aren't great, short lunches, lots of busy work, SUPER busy on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with no abbreviated hours
Walgreens could be a place for advancement but that depends solely on the store manager. It is mostly task oriented.
Photo Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 8, 2016
I found it very hard to advance in Walgreens. The better the employee the more likely you will become stagnant. Your advancement depends on your store manager. If you have a store manager that is a mentor (rare) you can advance quickly. Although, the majority of management care about how successful the store is. If you are a good worker they will want you to stay in the same position to keep the store successful. You may have a store manager that as long as you dont steal or come in late will completely ignore you. They hate to replace people. The customer service has changed and is not very good any more. It is hard to be terminated from Walgreens. So you can be a mediocre employee forever. However, Walgreens has excellent benefits. That is the best part of working there.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Advancement depends solely on the store manager
Use as a short term means to bettering yourself
Split Case Team Member (Current Employee) –  Windsor, WIFebruary 20, 2017
The pay is competitive but after 3 years all employees earn the same amount. The work is, for the most part, not physically demanding. But given the position of the body when picking, over time, it takes a tool on the body. Back and neck issues, shoulder damage, tendinitis, and foot problems are very common. They often say things are preexisting because an incident didn't cause the problem. They continue to make changes that are damaging moral and spirit.
Pros
Paid breaks, two 20 minute and one 10 minute, benefits are decent, accured paid time off.
Cons
Unable to leave building once your punched in, often work mandatory overtime, all new employees go to 2nd or 3rd shift, damages body from too much repetition, they don't seem to care about the employee at all.
Productive workplace and the customers are fairly respectable
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Northport, ALJanuary 19, 2017
I enjoyed working at Walgreen's. For the most part the employees work well together. We knew how work and have fun. We wanted to be there to assist customers with a big smile on our face. Even though its a lot of work to do on truck day you can still manage to get it all done.

The only huge problem were the lack of communication between the management team which fell to poor communication with the associates.
Poor raises; no matter how long you've been working there.
Pros
Good employees, great atmosphere
Cons
NO FLEXIBLE part-time hours
Great Company to work for.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 1, 2017
Walgreens is a great company to work for. If you value continued opportunity for development and learning, Walgreens offers continuous resources and the experience to enable growth and develop relationships. However, based on the organizational structural development and the nature of the competitive industry, there has been little opportunity to advance since the rewiring for growth following the 2008 recession.
There are outstanding benefits if leveraged strategically to supplement an unimpressive salary.
Pros
People, experience
Cons
Advancement
Store managers sets the tone for the store
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 22, 2017
A typical day at work involved warehouse and vendor deliveries. Correcting inventory levels. Pulling and filling overstock to self-service shelves. Resets and revisions. Assisting in the pharmacy and photo depts. Regarding of what tasks you are performing customer service is the #1 priority. The workplace culture had great intentions but many times the store manager created their own culture. The hardest part of the job was getting team members up to speed. The most enjoyable part of the job was working side by side with team members and giving shoppers a great experience.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits
Cons
Questionable manager practices, worked extra with no incentives/pay
Great benefits, not so great communication.
Customer Service Associate, Photo Specialist (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INDecember 16, 2016
I worked the midnight shift at a 24 hour Walgreens for just over a year. I loved the shift, I felt like I could be more productive with less customers, and I was. The general management didn't seem to understand the activities we did every night though, and often equated the amount of customers we serviced directly to the amount of work they could add onto our nightly list of duties. Often I felt overwhelmed with all the extras. Tried to communicate with general management, often got shut down with "We know everything that happens on your shift."
Pros
Employee discount, great benefits packages
Cons
Bad communication, unfair distribution of work.
Good retail environment
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOFebruary 22, 2017
Walgreen's can be an engaging and fun job if you like retail. The only cons you need to worry about is if your management is bad at your individual store. Walgreen's has great benefits for its employees but pays a little low until you get up to AM and GM positions. The customer service portion is usually pretty average, with only an inevitable amount of crazy people that come in. Photo and beauty alike can be really fun jobs if you're into the work those departments offer.
Pros
Employee discount, coupons, multiple breaks, healthcare, free flu shots, employee appreciation
Cons
Low pay almost minimum wage, overnights aren't worth it, cleaning bathrooms
Was good until new management
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILOctober 13, 2016
I really enjoyed this job at first. It was very laid back yet productive, the amount of work was fair for the amount I was getting paid. However, when new management came in it just became very corporate like, my boss was making changes left and right, I got double the amount of work for the exact same pay, when I asked for a raise he would just laugh and make a comment such as "try uber" or "get a side job as a bartender" which is highly unprofessional. My coworkers were amazing and we all got along great however we were limited on how we could interact with each other due to my boss not wanting us to be normal human beings and instead wanted us to just be robots and have nothing but work on our minds.
Pros
Long lunch, good insurance
Cons
A lot of work for little pay, very corporate
Good place to work to gain relationships with your community
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOOctober 19, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Walgreens because I got to know people in my community and was able to help them in every way I could to make their life easier and better. My co-workers was awesome to work with and got to know many new people by working there for 10 years. Advancement in the company was a huge down fall for me because I inquired about it several times with management and nothing ever came of it and I did the job of someone with a higher title than me every day but I didn't get paid for it the whole time I work there. Plus, I proved my skills and ability to management consistently.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
advancement in company
Decent
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCDecember 16, 2016
A typical work day can revolve around a variety of items such as stocking, cleaning, checking dates on merchandise, helping customer throughout the store and/or register. Sometimes you may get a task that feels odd, but your never given anything unless they believe in your ability to do it. You can learn a lot of different things such as Advil and Motrin are Ibuprofen's where as Aleve and Tylenol are simple pain killers. The Ibuprofen's help with inflammation where the pain killers do not. Management tends to be good, but as you get use to how your manager runs the store. They are likely to be transferred out. Having multiple manager's in the store can be both a blessing and a disaster. It is great to have the extra help, but confusing when you are being given task by more than one manager. Co-workers tend to be nice. The hardest part of the job is how many things you may be given to do while you still have to help customers.
Pros
Benefits offered by the company
Cons
Dealing with drunks and so forth every once in a blue moon
Start up job
Service Clerk/ Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 8, 2016
Walgreen is a good first job for anyone looking to not start out in food service. The one I worked at had difficulty keeping a store manger and never had an assistance manager. There wasn't a ton of opportunity for training or advancement either as we were understaffed and once you got hired or settled in a certain department then that's just where you worked. There was a woman that had been working at my location for $25 years and was only making $12/hr. I started at $8.50 so not the biggest promoters of raises. No benefits and no eligibility to receive them until I had been there at least 2 years.
Pros
Discount on store merchadise
Cons
No benefits
Horrible Management very unorganized
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Grove, OKDecember 8, 2016
Management is horrible. Favorites are played. A lot of fraternizing between manager and pharmacy tech. Manager would buy a 12 pack of beer EVERY DAY before leaving. Not a very good role model for the younger girls working there if you ask me. WAY too many tasks assigned to one person at one time and then YOU are at fault if you can't get them all done in one shift. Pay is good, benefits are great and there is room for growing. However, overall, I would not recommend this company to anyone. You better not ever get sick or miss a day because you will never hear the end of it! Not even a doctors note will you excuse with this company!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walgreens. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval